TNT Cancels Frank Darabont's Mob City

LOST ANGELSTNT has whacked Mob City.

Frank Darabont’s follow-up to The Walking Dead launched in November to huge buzz but disappointing ratings; roughly 2 million viewers caught the two-hour opener.

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning?

Mob City was created as a three-week television event and we are incredibly proud of the six hours we presented of this remarkable drama,” a Turner rep said in a statement. “Although the ratings of the limited series haven’t warranted more hours we are eager to work with Frank Darabont again and were delighted to bring the vibrant world of Mob City to life.”

Set in 1940s Los Angeles, the three-week/six-hour series — which Darabont adapted from the acclaimed book L.A. Noir: The Struggle for the Soul of America’s Most Seductive City, starred Jon Bernthal (The Walking Dead), Milo Ventimiglia (Heroes), Neal McDonough (Justified), Alexa Davalos (Reunion), Jeffrey DeMunn (The Walking Dead), Gregory Itzin (24), Robert Knepper (Prison Break), Jeremy Luke (Don Jon) and Ed Burns (playing Bugsy Siegel).

1. Lo says:

That’s disappointing, I enjoyed it. But I suppose it did have what can technically be construed as an ‘ending’, giving an alternate theory about Bugsy’s unsolved murder, so at least no major cliffhangers.

• Mike says:

Man this show,series etc.. Was increditable. I watched every episode and was excitedly looking for the next. If it this series was based on Mr. Siegels story then maybe it shouldn’t started from the very begginning from when he was a kid thoughout the time he was made man until his last breath then we would’ve probably seen more action. I hated the fact it was canceled and had to end. Next time you producers/directors decide to tell a story about a person such as Mr. Siegel please start from the very beggining like they did in the Godfather that way it will be just as long.

2. Arlene says:

It was billed as a mini-series. It was resolved. It ended. Cancelled is a hyperbolic misnomer.

• Dax says:

It wasn’t DESIGNED as a mini-series, though. It was meant to be open-ended.

Once dumped into December and given the three-weeks-instead-of-six ‘event’, it was pretty clear it wasn’t going to last… but they still spent a lot on promotion, at least. Saw a lot of double-page ads in magazines..

• johnhelvete says:

That is correct, Darabont gave several interviews before the show aired that indicated the show was not a mini-series.

• S. says:

They’re just trying to pull a Political Animals and get it into the tv movie/miniseries category by acting all “we meant to do that.” No you didn’t. That was a cancelled series, don’t go committing category fraud. The way FX is doing it with American Horror Story is ridiculous too. Yes I get what he’s doing, but it’s still not a traditional miniseries. Sherlock should be allowed to go in the series category too. It may be 3 episodes but it’s styled as a series (at least let them go miniseries every year not tv movie. It’s definitely not 3 tv movies). They need to fix the rules so that people can’t manipulate the system in one case or be kept out of where they should be in another. At least for the next Emmys there’s so many tv movies and miniseries that they have to split up the categories again.

3. Elyse says:

this is probably a bad time to ask but was it any good? I have it on my DVR still I just haven’t found the time to watch it.

4. TV Gord says:

That’s too bad,. I enjoyed it.

5. M3rc Nate says:

Didnt interest me, the time doesnt really interest me. I dont really care about mobsters with revolves and tommy-guns. Push ahead “The Last Ship”, now THAT show looks fantastic.

6. Eric says:

Can we really say it was cancelled, though? Wasn’t this essentially advertised as a TV mini-series? I always got the impression that this was a 3-week event and it would conclude. Then again, I didn’t watch. So I don’t know how it ended. I was just a little thrown when it said “cancelled” as I thought it was being advertised as a mini-series, not a full fledged series.

7. TV Gord says:

Dallas was first a miniseries, and it went on for years and became a phenomenon. What they call a show is more about which Emmy category it will be submitted in than what it actually is.

8. Teag says:

It was an okay series. Good actors and crew, but it was just okay.

9. prish says:

The shooting in the back turned me off in the second episode/hour. They, probably, lost a lot of western-type viewers with that. (western meaning type, not genre, btw) Those are the type of viewers that would enjoy the clean-up years, irregardless of viewer age. I bet some demo viewers fall into that category.

• Please don’t speak on behalf of everyone in the west, especially if you’re going to use words like ‘irregardless’. The ratings started low and they ended low. How it was promoted and what network it was on made all the difference. Would be a different story if the show was on HBO or Showtime.

• lashun says:

Like myself, many people probably had not heard of the show. I heard about the show with two episodes left, and fell in love with it. The ending was fastastic. It would be a shame to let something that could be epic slip through the cracks. The major movie companies that turned down the Lord of the ring movies know how that feels. Please bring it back

10. It might have fared better if it wouldn’t have been shown in two hour episodes.

11. tv2day says:

Overated snoozefest. Nothing original. Mostly old cliches with way too much dialogue.

12. Cheo says:

It doesn’t surprise me; it read like a parody of film noir.

13. Et al says:

This started?

14. Joey says:

Bummed by this news. It was a good show, would have like for the show to continue.

15. Britta Unfiltered says:

I’m not sorry to see it go, it was really boring. Though the sodomy scene with the banana sure woke me up momentarily. Also, the carousel shoot-out was kind of interesting, but dragged on way too long. I was bummed that I didn’t like this show, because I was really excited for it before it started.

16. Dammit, stop screwing Frank Darabont over after only 6 episodes! First the Walking Dead nonsense now this. I mean it wasn’t his best work, yeah, but was still hooked. The conclusion was awesome to the point I almost wanted to write that in all caps.

17. Marty says:

That’s a shame. I would have watched the show but I only heard about it just before the last 2 hour episode. I hope they re-run it.

18. Simon Jester says:

Awaiting the inevitable Frank Darabont interviews blaming it all on the network.

19. The show was really good, I liked it alot and would watch more. It was really nice to have a show without vampires or werewolves, superheroes, or supernatural.

20. karen says:

Why watch another show about mobs and gunfire?? I can just as easily turn on the news and get the shooting du jour! How about producing a show with “Heart” or “Hope” or “Pay It Forward” attitude; something the viewing public can get behind and unite with the characters!

21. Pam goodley says:

I enjoyed it but knew it was a limited series If on again I would watch I thought the” film noir was well done = expected to see Humphrey Bogart at any moment

22. John Dee says:

I rarely watch TNT anymore. They burned my family when they cancelled Monday Mornings. I normally would have watched a show like this ( Mob City ) but I’ve learned my lesson when it comes to TNT. They don’t support or promote new shows and then blame that new show for it’s failure. I’m sorry for those folks that liked this show but use this as a lesson. Avoid TNT.

23. DJ says:

I love mobster films, especially ones from the 1930s and 40s. I like the director and the cast, but instead of a fresh take on that kind of material it often came off like a bad parody of mobster films from the 30s and 40s. Considering the people involved it was THE most disappointing show of the past year. Hopefully all involved can rebound and come back with better material, especially Darabont.

• The Beach says:

You are exactly right about it coming off more as a parody. I was looking forward to this more than any new show this year and with a great cast and Frank Darabont and the Film Noir era how could it go wrong? It wasn’t terrible, just disappointing.

24. Whatever says:

I was really looking forward to Mob City and I was disappointed.
    Usually love Darabont’s work but not this time.

25. anto33 says:

Too bad,I enjoyed it.But I’m not gonna cry.It was a bit topical and overacted,specially the girl.How many times have we see this kind of character?I always liked this historical time,but there are better ways to do it.I also watched Bonnie and Clyde recently and it was so much better.

26. Max says:

No surprise here. There was nothing there to set it apart from everything done about this era subject.

27. Lena says:

Its so bad, Mob City was interesting

28. Zeke Teke says:

I didn’t know there was the option for the show to continue. I would have LOVED to see more of this show though!!!

29. Joe plowman says:

I was enjoying this show , love tis era, love the gangster genre . I thought Robert Knepper as Sid Rothman was particularly good., but Ed burns as Bugsy Siegel was good too. This was on the fox network , and shown in Ireland in Six Approx 45 minute episodes . I was recording them, was going to burn a DVD of the series. Ah well, but I’ve seen worse shows continued on( Buffy, Rubbish, Once upon a time ( started well, then just silly, Grimm same thing

30. joe bloggs says:

why are you yanks obsessed with poxy ratings?

you get a good programme and you bin it because it is beyond the average intelligence level of a slug/American.

Saturday night live/ family guy and Hanna Montana just about sum up the anally retentive yanks.

31. CJ says:

This is totally crappy ola!!! You killed the damn vibe of the show!! What should we do as viewers to get the show back in t.v? We need that show to many reality shows.. That’s original people need to remember how we got to this point in life!! I really hurt by this show being gone!

32. brittney stewart says:

I loved the show and the actors in it. I’m really mad they canceled it. 2 million views watched this show. Im sure we all wanted to see more of Mob City.

33. David Dell says:

I almost stopped watching during the first hour, but once I got past the first episode, it got pretty good. Very good acting, and dialog that made the bad guys as interesting as the good. Could have used more “snap” though.

34. Esther says:

Why are good shows canclled. And dumb comedy shows stay on.. won’t u please consider and give it a second chance. So many good shows have been cancelled. Please reconsider and give it another try

35. judy says:

So sad it was cancelled. I did not like the ending as it left a lot of questions, would have been nice to see a proper ending.

36. shantel says:

They Need To Bring It Back Man I Never Heard They Cancelled It Till Today Wondering When Season Two Was Going To Come Up 😠

37. Daniel says:

This is retarded that show was sensational you woild be fools not to continue

38. Daniel says:

This show was well put together and it was extremely additcting Frank didna wonderful job.