TNT Cancels Frank Darabont's Mob City

Get More: Cancellations

LOST ANGELSTNT has whacked Mob City.

Frank Darabont’s follow-up to The Walking Dead launched in November to huge buzz but disappointing ratings; roughly 2 million viewers caught the two-hour opener.

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning?

Mob City was created as a three-week television event and we are incredibly proud of the six hours we presented of this remarkable drama,” a Turner rep said in a statement. “Although the ratings of the limited series haven’t warranted more hours we are eager to work with Frank Darabont again and were delighted to bring the vibrant world of Mob City to life.”

Set in 1940s Los Angeles, the three-week/six-hour series — which Darabont adapted from the acclaimed book L.A. Noir: The Struggle for the Soul of America’s Most Seductive City, starred Jon Bernthal (The Walking Dead), Milo Ventimiglia (Heroes), Neal McDonough (Justified), Alexa Davalos (Reunion), Jeffrey DeMunn (The Walking Dead), Gregory Itzin (24), Robert Knepper (Prison Break), Jeremy Luke (Don Jon) and Ed Burns (playing Bugsy Siegel).

Comments (42)

• That’s disappointing, I enjoyed it. But I suppose it did have what can technically be construed as an ‘ending’, giving an alternate theory about Bugsy’s unsolved murder, so at least no major cliffhangers.

Comment by Lo – February 10, 2014 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was billed as a mini-series. It was resolved. It ended. Cancelled is a hyperbolic misnomer.

Comment by Arlene – February 10, 2014 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It wasn’t DESIGNED as a mini-series, though. It was meant to be open-ended.

Once dumped into December and given the three-weeks-instead-of-six ‘event’, it was pretty clear it wasn’t going to last… but they still spent a lot on promotion, at least. Saw a lot of double-page ads in magazines..

Comment by Dax – February 10, 2014 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That is correct, Darabont gave several interviews before the show aired that indicated the show was not a mini-series.

Comment by johnhelvete – February 10, 2014 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They’re just trying to pull a Political Animals and get it into the tv movie/miniseries category by acting all “we meant to do that.” No you didn’t. That was a cancelled series, don’t go committing category fraud. The way FX is doing it with American Horror Story is ridiculous too. Yes I get what he’s doing, but it’s still not a traditional miniseries. Sherlock should be allowed to go in the series category too. It may be 3 episodes but it’s styled as a series (at least let them go miniseries every year not tv movie. It’s definitely not 3 tv movies). They need to fix the rules so that people can’t manipulate the system in one case or be kept out of where they should be in another. At least for the next Emmys there’s so many tv movies and miniseries that they have to split up the categories again.

Comment by S. – February 10, 2014 11:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this is probably a bad time to ask but was it any good? I have it on my DVR still I just haven’t found the time to watch it.

Comment by Elyse – February 10, 2014 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, I think it’s worth watching. It had a satisfying enough conclusion, so you won’t feel as though it’s incomplete. I would have liked a second season, though. It captured the mood of the times pretty well and the cast was pretty terrific.

Comment by TV Gord – February 10, 2014 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d watch it, it’s a pretty good short story.

Comment by wrstlgirl – February 10, 2014 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Spare yourself these six hours that you will never get back and just deleted from your dvr.

Comment by C on TV – February 10, 2014 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It is and has a pretty conclusive ending.

Comment by EJ386 – February 10, 2014 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really enjoyed aspects of it. It was pretty compelling. I’d watch it. ;)

Comment by justlosefaith – February 11, 2014 12:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s too bad,. I enjoyed it.

Comment by TV Gord – February 10, 2014 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didnt interest me, the time doesnt really interest me. I dont really care about mobsters with revolves and tommy-guns. Push ahead “The Last Ship”, now THAT show looks fantastic.

Comment by M3rc Nate – February 10, 2014 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we really say it was cancelled, though? Wasn’t this essentially advertised as a TV mini-series? I always got the impression that this was a 3-week event and it would conclude. Then again, I didn’t watch. So I don’t know how it ended. I was just a little thrown when it said “cancelled” as I thought it was being advertised as a mini-series, not a full fledged series.

Comment by Eric – February 10, 2014 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dallas was first a miniseries, and it went on for years and became a phenomenon. What they call a show is more about which Emmy category it will be submitted in than what it actually is.

Comment by TV Gord – February 10, 2014 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was an okay series. Good actors and crew, but it was just okay.

Comment by Teag – February 10, 2014 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The shooting in the back turned me off in the second episode/hour. They, probably, lost a lot of western-type viewers with that. (western meaning type, not genre, btw) Those are the type of viewers that would enjoy the clean-up years, irregardless of viewer age. I bet some demo viewers fall into that category.

Comment by prish – February 10, 2014 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Please don’t speak on behalf of everyone in the west, especially if you’re going to use words like ‘irregardless’. The ratings started low and they ended low. How it was promoted and what network it was on made all the difference. Would be a different story if the show was on HBO or Showtime.

Comment by TigerNightmare – February 10, 2014 11:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It might have fared better if it wouldn’t have been shown in two hour episodes.

Comment by Anna Paolinelli (@AnnaPaolinelli1) – February 10, 2014 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Overated snoozefest. Nothing original. Mostly old cliches with way too much dialogue.

Comment by tv2day – February 10, 2014 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It doesn’t surprise me; it read like a parody of film noir.

Comment by Cheo – February 10, 2014 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This started?

Comment by Et al – February 10, 2014 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bummed by this news. It was a good show, would have like for the show to continue.

Comment by Joey – February 10, 2014 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not sorry to see it go, it was really boring. Though the sodomy scene with the banana sure woke me up momentarily. Also, the carousel shoot-out was kind of interesting, but dragged on way too long. I was bummed that I didn’t like this show, because I was really excited for it before it started.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – February 10, 2014 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dammit, stop screwing Frank Darabont over after only 6 episodes! First the Walking Dead nonsense now this. I mean it wasn’t his best work, yeah, but was still hooked. The conclusion was awesome to the point I almost wanted to write that in all caps.

Comment by Peter W Dawson – February 10, 2014 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s a shame. I would have watched the show but I only heard about it just before the last 2 hour episode. I hope they re-run it.

Comment by Marty – February 10, 2014 10:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awaiting the inevitable Frank Darabont interviews blaming it all on the network.

Comment by Simon Jester – February 10, 2014 10:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show was really good, I liked it alot and would watch more. It was really nice to have a show without vampires or werewolves, superheroes, or supernatural.

Comment by Duncan Mcleod – February 11, 2014 03:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why watch another show about mobs and gunfire?? I can just as easily turn on the news and get the shooting du jour! How about producing a show with “Heart” or “Hope” or “Pay It Forward” attitude; something the viewing public can get behind and unite with the characters!

Comment by karen – February 11, 2014 05:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed it but knew it was a limited series If on again I would watch I thought the” film noir was well done = expected to see Humphrey Bogart at any moment

Comment by Pam goodley – February 11, 2014 06:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I rarely watch TNT anymore. They burned my family when they cancelled Monday Mornings. I normally would have watched a show like this ( Mob City ) but I’ve learned my lesson when it comes to TNT. They don’t support or promote new shows and then blame that new show for it’s failure. I’m sorry for those folks that liked this show but use this as a lesson. Avoid TNT.

Comment by John Dee – February 11, 2014 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love mobster films, especially ones from the 1930s and 40s. I like the director and the cast, but instead of a fresh take on that kind of material it often came off like a bad parody of mobster films from the 30s and 40s. Considering the people involved it was THE most disappointing show of the past year. Hopefully all involved can rebound and come back with better material, especially Darabont.

Comment by DJ – February 11, 2014 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are exactly right about it coming off more as a parody. I was looking forward to this more than any new show this year and with a great cast and Frank Darabont and the Film Noir era how could it go wrong? It wasn’t terrible, just disappointing.

Comment by The Beach – February 11, 2014 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was really looking forward to Mob City and I was disappointed.
    Usually love Darabont’s work but not this time.

Comment by Whatever – February 11, 2014 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too bad,I enjoyed it.But I’m not gonna cry.It was a bit topical and overacted,specially the girl.How many times have we see this kind of character?I always liked this historical time,but there are better ways to do it.I also watched Bonnie and Clyde recently and it was so much better.

Comment by anto33 – February 12, 2014 06:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No surprise here. There was nothing there to set it apart from everything done about this era subject.

Comment by Max – February 12, 2014 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its so bad, Mob City was interesting

Comment by Lena – February 12, 2014 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t know there was the option for the show to continue. I would have LOVED to see more of this show though!!!

Comment by Zeke Teke – February 20, 2014 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was enjoying this show , love tis era, love the gangster genre . I thought Robert Knepper as Sid Rothman was particularly good., but Ed burns as Bugsy Siegel was good too. This was on the fox network , and shown in Ireland in Six Approx 45 minute episodes . I was recording them, was going to burn a DVD of the series. Ah well, but I’ve seen worse shows continued on( Buffy, Rubbish, Once upon a time ( started well, then just silly, Grimm same thing

Comment by Joe plowman – February 20, 2014 10:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • why are you yanks obsessed with poxy ratings?

you get a good programme and you bin it because it is beyond the average intelligence level of a slug/American.

Saturday night live/ family guy and Hanna Montana just about sum up the anally retentive yanks.

Comment by joe bloggs – February 21, 2014 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is totally crappy ola!!! You killed the damn vibe of the show!! What should we do as viewers to get the show back in t.v? We need that show to many reality shows.. That’s original people need to remember how we got to this point in life!! I really hurt by this show being gone!

Comment by CJ – February 22, 2014 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the show and the actors in it. I’m really mad they canceled it. 2 million views watched this show. Im sure we all wanted to see more of Mob City.

Comment by brittney stewart – March 26, 2014 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post