Pilot Season: Justified's Jere Burns, Rob Riggle and Rita Moreno Among the Latest Castings

Pilot Casting Jere Burns, Rob RiggleJere Burns (Justified), Rob Riggle (NTSF:SD:SUV), EGOT winner Rita Moreno and a Body of Proof alum are among the latest actors to book pilots this winter.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Your Complete Guide to This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s In Them

Per our sister site Deadline…..

* Jere Burns is in final talks to play Chet Atkins, the boss of Rashida Jones’ titular crimesolver, in Tribeca, TBS’ procedural spoof about the LAPD’s elite RHCU (Really Heinous Crimes Unit).

* Once the subject of fleeting Modern Family spin-off talk, Rob Riggle has landed the second lead in The Pro, NBC’s comedy pilot about a washed-up former doubles tennis champion (Parks and Recreation’s Rob Lowe) who tries to reclaim some glory as an instructor at a posh country club. Riggle will play Lowe’s estranged onetime partner/new boss.

* Recent SAG Lifetime Achievement Award honoree Rita Moreno will play a flamboyant, larger-than-life Broadway vet in Old Soul, NBC’s Amy Poehler-produced comedy about a former wild child (Natasha Lyonne) who now runs a business tending to the elderly.

* Up-and-comer Sarah Snook (of Australia’s Spirited) and Edwin “Brother of Aldis” Hodge (Cougar Town) have boarded ABC’s supernatural drama Clementine, playing the titular psychic and her best friend, respectively.

* Body of Proof alum Windell Middlebrooks will play the unkempt gay onetime bestie of one of the Mason Twins in NBC’s comedy to be written/executive produced by June Diane Raphael and Casey Wilson.

1. Spoiler Junkie says:

Isn’t Jere Burns now a regular on Justified? Will he be pulling double duty or is he getting offed at the end of this season?

2. Bartleby says:

Someone needs to explain to me how Rob Riggle keeps getting work…

• CBWBDK1 says:

I can’t stand him!! He’s such a terrible actor!

• N tTVf says:

But does he make the audience laugh? That’s the key. I watched him on Modern, and I laughed. I’m not an acting expert by any means, and perhaps you are correct, maybe he is not destined to be a great actor. But just speaking from a viewer/customer standpoint, I saw him on Modern, and I laughed, and that’s good enough for me when I watch a comedy. It is about the writing, I know, but he seemed to handle the role well, and made me laugh.

I have to admit – I’ve read every pilot summary and cast info I can find for this fall’14 pilot season, and many of the summaries for both dramas and comedies just make me roll my eyes. More of the same, the same, the same.

But when I saw the summary for ‘The Pro’, and I saw Rob Lowe attached, I started to laugh, in a good way. Lowe was born to play this role – snark, washed up ladies man, pretty-boy, tennis-stud has-been, falling from grace, and having to claw his way back to the top via the ‘elite ladder’ of our society – the country club, swimming pool rich. I find myself laughing at/with this premise in a good way.

And now, they add Rob Riggle – as soon as I saw his name in this article attached to ‘The Pro’, I started to laugh. I can picture Rob Lowe’s character trying to BS his way back to the top, and Riggle’s character sticking it to him every step of the way (similar to Riggle’s Modern character and his torture of poor Phil Dunphey). I laugh just thinking about it. There is some good comedy storyline and potential here.

• Keith says:

He’s not funny on FOX NFL Sunday

• Tee says:

I think he’s funny on NTSF, but his characters seem to work best in small doses.

3. CBWBDK1 says:

What does this mean for Wynn Duffy?? He’s one of my favorite characters on justified.

• dys says:

Maybe the worst case scenario is that he will be downgraded back to guest star for the final season as opposed to being killed off.

• Amy says:

Or maybe…..they won’t need him because the entire final season of Justified will be a Raylan-Boyd faceoff!

I’m dreaming, but man is it one good dream!

4. LA Hope says:

When I read Body of Proof, I thought, OMG, maybe Dana Delany! And then It´s Windell Middlebrooks… I´m dissapointed! It was mentioned somewhere that Dana might get a leading role in one of the new Pilots… So I hope, if there are news about some kinda that… ;-)

5. JM says:

Jere Burns is a great actor. Love him on ‘Justified’ and he was excellent on ‘Bates Motel’ as well. I’m happy for him and hope that he can stick around to finish the ‘Justified’ series.

I also love Rita Moreno. She sounds perfect for that role!