Pilot Scoop: Happy Endings' Zachary Knighton to Star in Fox Comedy Weird Loners (and He's Also Joining Parenthood For a Major Arc)

weird loners zachary knightonFox is now in possession of the entire male cast of Happy Endings.

The network, which is already home to Happy alums Damon Wayans Jr. (New Girl) and Adam Pally (The Mindy Project), has now recruited Zachary Knighton to star in its comedy pilot Weird Loners, TVLine has learned.

And it’s not the only new gig Knighton has landed; sources confirm that the actor is joining the cast of Parenthood as a potential love interest for Erika Christensen’s Julia (more on that later).

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Scoop on This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s Starring in Them

In Weird Loners, which tells the story of four relationship-phobic people who are unexpectedly thrust into one another’s lives and form an unlikely bond in a townhouse in Queens, NY., Knighton will play Stosh Lewandowski, a whip-smart and rakishly handsome sales rep with a cynical edge. He’s an inveterate womanizer whose knee-jerk seductions always have him in hot water. Fired for sleeping with his boss’ fiancee, Stosh is essentially homeless when he finds a welcome place to stay with his cousin, Eric, whom he hasn’t seen since they were just kids.

King of Queens scribe Michael Weithorn penned the script.

On Parenthood, Knighton will appear in a major season-ending arc as Evan Knight, a hip new teacher at the school Kristina founded who catches the eye of Julia.

All told, not a bad day for Zachary Knighton.

1. e says:

he was always my least favorite character on happy endings (one of my absolute favorite shows, btw… sorely missed), but i look forward to seeing him out on his own as new characters! weird loners sounds like an interesting show. looking forward to seeing who else is cast!

2. Fernando says:

Wonderful news

• BabyFirefly says:

Any updates on the female side of the cast? It still amazes me that Elisha Cuthbert made me forget all about the cougar incident, and love her as Alex. I would have pegged her as the weak link initially in that cast. She completely won me over, Amazeballs!

• Marksjw says:

Eliza Coupe’s doing a show on USA that was just ordered to series for later this year. And Casey Wilson’s starring with Ken Marino in a NBC show by the creator of Happy Endings.

Elisha got married to an NHL player recently, is she taking a break? I hope she’ll do another comedy soon, she was hilarious as Alex, never would’ve guessed she could be so funny all these years, she should’ve been doing comedy all along!

3. If they wanted the cast FOX should have just saved Happy Endings! I miss that show so much

• Rosa says:

I know right?! would’ve made too much sense.
      I’d rather have Happy Endings than all this other crap they’re starring in that doesn’t interest me at all. I do NOT watch New Girl or Mindy Project and I’m not sure I’ll be checking out Casey or Zach’s shows.

4. Zach says:

He and Casey Wilson CARRIED season 3 of Happy Endings. And I don’t mean they killed it, like Carrie the movie. Well, they did kill it but they didn’t murder it. I mean they carried it on their backs. While all the other actors were wildly over the top (they weren’t like that in the other seasons), Dave and Penny came across as real people.

• Marksjw says:

Maybe I’m alone but I kinda liked when the acting got all over-the-top and silly in season three. But I can totally understand why people would also find it super annoying. I admit sometimes Brad constantly talking in those high pitched shrieks could get a bit tiresome after a while. But even then I still usually laughed/.

5. tp says:

Excited for a love interest for Julia. Joel has gone way overboard with everything. It’s a shame because even when they fought they were my favorite couple.

6. Maris says:

I’ve always liked Julia but I’m over her and her storyline, not sure I’m interested in her getting a new love interest… Also, he kinda looks like Joel

7. Forwardad says:

Ugh if Joel was upset with Julia for kissing Ed, he’ll certainly go over the edge if she has a love interest. Just have Julia get a job like the rest of the world. The kids are old enough.

8. CountryQueen says:

At first I was so mad at Joel, but now I’m over him. He’s not even trying! He doesn’t deserve her.

9. Cory says:

Nice, this show sounds like it could be funny. Having a HE cast member won’t hurt for sure. :)

10. Joey says:

Happy he’s gonna be back on TV again. Can’t wait to see him on Parenthood.

11. Sheldon W. says:

Is it just me, or is this guy a better looking Tyler Labine?

• Rosa says:

HAHAHAHAHA!!! I never really thought about it but you’re right! although I think they’re both good looking in their own different ways, lol.

12. Joe says:

So it’s really true then, Happy Endings is not coming back.

13. Maggie says:

We don’t want him on PARENTHOOD. We want Julia and Joel to get back together.

14. M says:

If only Fox would have coopted ‘Happy Endings’ instead of the cast after the show was unjustly cancelled.

15. schu says:

Woohoo to all Happy Endings alum getting new gigs! Happy for him!

16. Callie says:

Yeah!!! I love parenthoood and think,although the julia and joel split was sad,it was needed.I think having julia gettting a possible boyfriend and especially this cutie,will add a whole new layer to the show!!!