The Big Bang Theory Recap: Sheldon and Amy Take a Really Big Step

The Big Bang Theory Sheldon Amy kissThis Thursday on CBS’ The Big Bang Theory, Amy Farrah Fowler received perhaps the most unexpected Valentine’s Day gift ever.

RELATED | Thursday Night Football Moves to CBS — Will Big Bang Return to Monday?

“The Locomotive Manipulation” opened with Amy guiding her beau of three years through their annual State of the Relationship Summit, during which they failed to agree on his pet name for her (“Gollum” was shot down, again) and then tackled the sticky wicket of Valentine’s Day plans.

Amy proposes an idea they’ll both enjoy: a weekend at a bed-and-breakfast in Napa Valley. Yet even after Amy addresses Sheldon’s assorted concerns (eating with strangers, claw-foot bath tubs, etcetera), he must wonder: What’s in it for me to enjoy? Her comeback: They’re traveling to Napa on a fully functioning vintage train — more specifically, an Alco FA-4 diesel locomotive leading meticulously restored 1915 Pullman first class coaches.

No bazinga here. Train enthusiast Sheldon is sold!

RELATED | Big Bang Theory Exclusive: Bob Newhart Set to Make Third Appearance as Professor Proton

The mutually enjoyable escapade is nearly derailed however, when Sheldon comes to feel that Amy is more into the occasion for reasons of romance than she first let on. And in an outburst in the middle of a dining car, he sets out to give her plenty of romance — first by guzzling some wine (or “grape juice that burns”), then gazing into her eyes. Lastly, he sarcastically observes: “Oh, kissing‘s romantic!” — and he plants one on his girlfriend, for a full 11 seconds, celebrated by whoops and hollers from the studio audience.

Coming away from the clinch, Amy softly observes, “That was nice.” “Good,” responds Sheldon, equally moved by the lonnnnng overdue intimacy.

Cementing the magnitude of the moment, Sheldon says that the conductor had invited him to the control room to learn how to bring a train through a crossing. And Amy is happy to leave him to his folly, when he adds: “Do you want to come with me?” “Really…?” she responds. “I do.”

What did you think of this momentous mouth-to-mouth for Big Bang‘s chaste couple?

1. Brooke says:

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!
    Team SHAMY all the way.
    Leonard and Penny suck

• Larry says:

I like Shamy but I also like Lenny. They do not suck

• Mia says:

I agree, Larry. I like both pairs. Shamy is my favorite though because it’s so unique. I had a busy evening tonight and missed this episode but, from the sounds of it, I missed a good one. I’ll have to remedy that tomorrow. :) Thanks for the recap, Matt.

• SharksFan says:

Agreed. I liked Leonard with the medical intern, Leonard and Penny seems forced and is cliche–nerd with beautiful blonde.

• Andrew Murn says:

Leonard and Penny isn’t forced – but they are like an old married couple. I’d like to see a return of the sexual tension.

• msjackiefan says:

Interesting…I never felt sexual tension with Lenny. :) I think they are just very cool together and a good fit. But Penny is sort of settling for Leonard in her own mind, a more mature love. She is accepting a lack of excitement. But Shamy-now that’s all kinds a tense! There are real sparks there and all the more credit to the actors also.

• Ella says:

I still want Sheldon and Penny to happen, though at this point it’s a pipe dream. I HATE Leonard and Penny together, there is ZERO chemistry and she is horrible to him.

• ElenaGreece says:

Ella, I totally agree with you! As you said, ZERO chemistry!

• Beryl says:

Amen!!!! Penny and Leonard suck! Their story lines are waaaaay better when they are not together. And does treat him rather badly and he just seems waddle on in her shadow. I actually root for them when they are apart, cause that’s the only time they seem to have chemistry then once they do get together…….its a big dooooozie!!!! GO SHAMY!!! About time!!!

2. Ann says:

It’s about time! I enjoyed this episode very much.

3. Stacie says:

Finally. That was a good kiss. I love how Sheldon really started to enjoy it and moved in for more. He shocked himself with how much he liked it. That was really good, very unexpected. I hope we get more in the future.

4. Duke says:

That moment was perfect. The subtlety of their reaction to it was so very real, it brought me back to my own first kiss.

• tara17 says:

I agree, the actors were spot-on and perfectly sold the moment. Not an easy feat considering Sheldon’s limitations.

5. Kaybee says:

6. Erin says:

Best Moment in the Entire Universe. Its been a long time coming too. My favorite part was Sheldon liking the kiss! :)

7. Kaybee says:

Just about had a stroke when Sheldon moved in and put his hands on her waist while they kissed. Then inviting her to meet the conductor! This moment may now be my favorite tv romance moment since, well, ever! Ross & Rachel, close. Barney & Robin, also close. Then there’s Buffy & Angel, Mer & McDreamy, Joanie & Chachi, and Luke & Laura. But Sheldon & Amy may trump them all! Unless Sheldon and Penny got together. That might make the world perfect…

8. Stormy says:

IMO Sheldon was so jacked up by the train excitement that he was experiencing transference. At least I hope so. Hope things work out between Raj & Yvette.

9. Maria says:

Still crying like a little bitch. OMG it wa perfect. I’m crapping feels!

10. Chane says:

That was the best and funniest moment. I too hope Raj gets a girlfriend soon.

11. Kaybee says:

Soft Amy,
    Warm Amy,
    Neurobiologist.
    Can’t believe
    What I just saw…
    You and Sheldon kissed!!!

12. Jacquelyn says:

SHAMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I SCREAMED SO LOUD

13. DarkDefender says:

Very well done and unexpectedly sweet.

14. Michael says:

When Sheldon kissed her, I thought “Oh great they found another out by making Sheldon do it while he was upset”, then he leaned into the kiss and appeared to rather enjoy it. Our little Pinocchio is becoming a real boy!

On the other side of the story, Penny has been acting like a complete b-word lately. If a guy did to a woman what Penny did to Leonard tonight, they would still be cleaning the blood off the walls.

• Tamera says:

I’m glad that I’m not the only one who thinks that Penny has been acting awful lately. I get she was mad when Leonard turned down her drunk proposal and didn’t really support her acting career, but the writers are completely ruining their characters, in my opinion.

• Gilby21 says:

What she did to Leonard? What are you talking about?

• SharksFan says:

That episode when he tried to help her in her course and she blew up for one. She’s always mean–and usually drunk or buzzed. In other words, she’s trashy, lazy, does nothing but whine and lash out, what does she offer the relationship, aside from looks? Can’t stand Penny at all.

• Gilby21 says:

Well let’s see:
          She supports Leonard’s career completely (can’t say the same for Leonard with her acting career), she enjoys spending time with his friends without complaint (can’t say the same for Leonard with her friends), she may pick on the guys a little but they do the same to her. I don’t see how you can say that she’s a horrible person when Leonard is actually kind of worse to her.

Think about it, if she’s such a horrendously shallow user, why would she be with someone like Leonard instead of a rich, good-looking guy? Leonard liked her for totally shallow reasons from the beginning whereas she got to know and like him gradually for who he is on the inside.

• Andrew Murn says:

It’s a story line – and the writers can do what they like.

I don’t believe that the writers intended Penny to be slutty – but the story lines certainly suggest that that’s the case. How different is she from the “whore of Omaha”? Leonard is chaste by comparison.

• In my opinion Leonard and Penny have absolutely nothing in common, what is she offering besides her beauty? What are they talking about outside the bedroom? She doesn’t share his nerdy things, like games, StarTrek et cetera and he doesn’t like football for example. She is an unsuccessful actress who drinks too much. I could not share my life with a person who doesn’t share my hobbies or understands my profession.

15. What an episode. That kiss made my night. Sweet, tender, sincere. Bravo.

16. GoT Snow says:

It was extremely well done. Maybe one of the sweetest television kisses of all time.

17. Olivia says:

OMG. Sheldon is human oO

But seriously, it was awesome :)

18. Jana says:

I squealed like a girl and literally melted. It was the most honest, sweetest kiss in the history of tv. Sheldon was totally sweet and sexy in that moment. Go get um Amy!

19. Miss VCI says:

Was so surprised by how long that kissed lasted and so happy. but I’m starting to realize that the writers have no idea what to do with Leonard and Penny’s relationship (They can’t move it forward and they can’t break them up again) So they are in this weird place with Leonard and Penny and the chemistry just isn’t there anymore for and I am now one of the people wondering why there are together. (Maybe Kaley ‘s real life marriage is hindering her work relationship)

• Jen says:

I think the chemistry is still there, and they are moving it forward. Now in the mature comfortable state, IT may not move fast but it will move along.

• Jen says:

The writers know what they are doing

• suzi says:

I agree with Jen, the chemistry is still there. I think they are together because they were destined to be together from the first episode. Many viewers, myself included, have gotten tired of the constant break-ups, and are pleased to see them in an easy, comfortable relationship.

• SharksFan says:

Easy and comfortable? Penny has been terrible to Leonard throughout their relationship. He’s a brilliant mind, she’s a lifetime waitress who offers nothing but her looks. Can’t stand her, she’s a user of the boys, always has been.

• Badpenny says:

At this stage you would think they should be practically living together yet they are both seen alone in the evenings; and there is virtually no bedroom scenes.
      I think once the actors broke up the spark was gone from the relationship. Whether it is one, or both, of the actors intentionally not wanting to get to close to each other or it is simply bad writing it is clear that they act like an old married couple rather then a young couple in love. There is no spark between them any more.

20. Loved, loved LOVED IT! Finally, the characters are moving forward, but moving forward in a way that doesn’t feel forced.

21. Joseph A says:

Loved how they had Sheldon trying to maid a point only to find himself learning something instead

22. All the feels!!!!!! Shamy 4 life!!!!!!

23. 4theloveoffilm says:

Before I realized what I was doing, I was standing on the couch and exclaiming, “Oh, my gosh!” over and over again. When Sheldon moved in closer… I don’t have words. It was perfection. And then that he was “equally moved” and then even invited her to share in a special train moment with him–beyond satisfied. I was hoping they wouldn’t have Sheldon try to joke his way out of the moment. Very nicely done. Have no clue what comes next, if it was a one-time deal or not, but oh, my, was it wonderful.

24. I nearly fell off the couch! Then I nearly cried. It was the best ever. I simply could not believe my eyes. Those who said it was just perfect: I agree. That moment will go down in Television history. I will remember it ’til I die. BTW, I’m 63; it ain’t just young’uns who watch this show.

25. Ella B says:

What the Shelmy! That was the.best.ever. Sheldon was sexy as hell moving in tho wasn’t he??!! I love Amy for him,, she is so patient & accepting of him. She stayed so composed, not making it awkward; we know she was screaming in her mind. :) Finally! I squeeled too. Still in shock. Good Lawd! I rewound that part so many times I need a cigarette!! LOL!!

• Gilby21 says:

Sheldon was SOOOOOO sexy moving in like that! And his face afterwards?!?! OMG, I love Jim Parsons but I never thought I would ever find him to be sexy as Hell. It was seriously the best tv kiss EVER. I have no idea how Amy stayed so composed because I was on my couch squeeling like crazy!

26. kempestuous says:

Finally! I was getting so frustrated waiting for something to happen between these two, and thinking that it was getting a bit unrealistic that any girl would wait around for someone to kiss them for the first time. But just as I thought that, Sheldon kissed her! I hope they’ll keep giving us more of this romance between the two of them. I know that one person commented that there’s no chemistry between them, but I disagree. It really goes to show what a great actor he is since in real life he has no sexual feelings for the opposite sex, but can still make this relationship so believable on screen. He makes this show!!!!!!

27. BarnabusStinson says:

I am so so happy for Amy and Sheldon too of course! I also loved that he actually liked the kiss and couldn’t pick a favorite moment while talking to Leonard!!! AHHHH

• CountryQueen says:

Yeah, but when Leonard called him a dog, Sheldon was confused because he liked the conductor playing the banjo the best – I cannot remember how he put it. It was truly a Sheldon moment, and didn’t take the pleasure of the kiss away at all.

28. Faye says:

That scene made me so happy. It’s even more satisfying because it’s been such a long progression. Anything different would be totally unbelievable for Sheldon; he is definitely riding a slooooow moving train. ;p
    The writers have given us some little gems along the way but none as squeal worthy as this. I love all of the characters. But I don’t think any of the other couples have had such little moments of sweetness and gentleness and real intimacy as we’ve gotten from Sheldon and Amy.

29. Hege says:

Loved Shamy. I still love Leonard and Penny and I want them to be together but Penny has been so out of charater for a while now. She used to be the one who cared for everyone and now she comes across like she couldn’t care less. My hope is than Penny moves in with Leonard.

• Larry says:

I think she still is pretty caring, just a little more snarky now, that she knows the guys better.

• Tom Mc says:

It wasn’t that long ago that Penny cried when she realized Raj was talking to her without the aid of alcohol. She obviously still cares quite a lot.

• SharksFan says:

Penny’s always been a user of the guys, rude, even mean. Wish they’d write her character off and give Leonard a partner worthy of him.

30. Amy says:

Way to go writers and actors. The kiss was honest and true to the characters. Amy handled it so well and perhaps the best part was Sheldon inviting her to join him with the conductor. I also loved Leonard trying to get him to debrief in such an honest way, “did you have a favorite moment?” Even Raj has a potential romance on the horizon. Great episode.

31. Katie says:

Finally, I have been waiting for this moment for years! Bravo to the writers, it didn’t feel false or forced in any way

32. martina says:

i was screaming “oh my goddddddddddd!!!!” i loved these moment!

33. HereThere says:

Gosh Amy is a perfect girlfriend! She planned everything to accommodate Sheldon really is ab

34. HereThere says:

Gosh Amy is a perfect girlfriend! She planned everything to accommodates Sheldon really is above and beyond. It will be interesting to see whether Sheldon has really developed emotionally or got carried away in the moment!

35. Melanie says:

Totally loving the Shamy!!! Almost fell of the couch when he kissed her then actually fell of the couch when he started to put his arms around her. One of the best TV moments ever.The writers and actors of this show are top notch. Can’t wait to see what will happen next.

36. Matuse says:

In this world of hyper sexuality it is fun to watch the journey of two inexperienced people find their joy. The long awaited kiss was well worth waiting for. Done perfectly and making us all have our little fan girl moment for the sweetest couple on TV.

37. Edison says:

I actually couldn’t believe they kissed! I was watching alone & spoke right out loud, “Did that really just happen?” I love how it was NOT advertised before this episode. Fantastic show. I loved it – great writing this week. It wasn’t even in my realm of thinking, so unexpected.

38. Luis says:

Congrats to Chuck Lorre and the TBBT writers on the beautiful course this oddball romance has run. Two wonderful actors giving life to some amazing writer, and creating one of TV’s most historic love affairs.

39. Pat says:

That little dickens Sheldon, really does know how to gently kiss a woman. Unfortunately, will he remember it? I felt so sorry for Amy. I thought this is it, she planned a beautiful trip and look how she is being treated by Sheldon, she deserve better then him. But then he finally gives her the first step to human intimacy, the kiss. Howard & Bernadette were hysterical, as always. Leonard & Penny were Ok and Raj well for me, I did not find him as funny last night. So most definitely the highlight of the show was the train trip.

40. Tom Hansen says:

As a train guy… Only if they included the cab ride in the Alco FA-4 as part of the show?

41. Steve says:

My wife and I were “High Fiving” like somebody just scored a touchdown in the Superbowl.

42. Zayne says:

Outside of this single moment, I thought the rest of the episode was awful. I don’t think I laughed once. Sheldon being a continually terrible human being to Amy is not entertainment to me, and honestly, his one moment of being a person towards her does not make up for the atrociousness that preceded it. I’m a little surprised everyone is so on board with this episode because of a single moment.

• Tusk says:

Some might say life is a series of single moments ;)

• ElenaGreece says:

Zayne, I totally agree with you. I maybe in the minority, but I believe that ever since the show started to focus on the relationships, it became less funny. The kissing scene was sweet, but I never really liked this couple… In my opinion, Sheldon was much funnier when he was he was single.

43. Kerry Franks says:

Writing and acting like this is what makes a Sitcom so enjoyable and long lasting.

44. Reblogged this on Me in Stitches and commented:
    SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE……….

45. Mark E says:

What was the name of the actress that played the Vet on the The Big Bang Theory Episode “The Locomotive Manipulation” ?

46. Grace Lynn says:

I literally started jumping up and down when SHELDON leaned into the kiss; so long overdue, the idea of him actually being human and enjoying a little physical intimacy. I wonder who was more surprised, him or Amy . . .
    I don’t care! This was the PERFECT ending at the perfect time — it feels like, maybe, they’re ready for *gasp* a kiss after three stinkin’ years. And it was so sweet, so cute, so squee-worthy . . . yeesh, even thinking about it is making me want to go watch it again.
    I think I shall!

47. Mikael says:

I gasped out loud at the kiss. Was not expecting that AT ALL. Sheldon’s train friend was cracking me up too.

48. Kerry says:

loved loved loved it!!! It was such an awesome moment in an awesome show!!

49. Donna Stratford says:

I can’t get over your use of “sticky wicket”. It’s cricket season here is Aus.

50. Sunshineditty says:

I really wish Lorre would stop forcing Penny and Leonard down our throats because it’s just making Penny become a raging alcoholic and him an even bigger douche; GIVE IT UP ALREADY! (And yes, Leonard, nine minutes is NOT a long time).

As for Amy and Sheldon, I love the uniqueness of their coupling, and was excited to see them finally take one step forward instead of five steps back, especially with him actually sharing something special with her. He normally only has moments like those (minus the kissing of course) with Penny, so it was good to see him being intimate with his actual girlfriend.