Ratings: Criminal Minds No. 200 Hits a 21-Month High, Idol Ticks up, Tomorrow People Drops

Ratings Criminal Minds 200CBS’ Criminal Minds marked a milestone in style on Wednesday night, as its 200th episode drew 12.8 million total viewers — up 23 percent from its previous fresh episode to deliver the crime drama’s largest audience since May 2012 — and surged 27 percent in the demo to match its season high rating of 2.8.

Leading out of that, CSI enjoyed its second largest audience of the season (11 mil) while rising 25 percent in the demo, to a time slot-leading 2.0.

RELATED | American Idol Hollywood Week (Night 1) Recap: Can You Feel It Coming to the Airport Tonight?

Leading Wednesday in both measures was Fox’s American Idol, which with 13.3 million viewers and a 3.9 rating saw its first week-to-week uptick of the season, rising 5 percent and one tenth. (Last season, Idol didn’t enjoy a week-to-week gain until April.)

RELATED | Nashville Recap: Who’s Your Daddy (Gonna Kill Next)?

Over on ABC, The Middle (8.7 mil/2.2) added some eyeballs but dipped a tenth in the demo, Suburgatory (6.2/1.7) rose two tenths, Modern Family (10 mil/3.5) inched up one tenth and the antepenultimate Super Fun Night (5 mil/1.6) drew its best audience since Dec. 12 while rising 23 percent in the demo (versus last week’s repeat-impaired outing). Nashville (5.1 mil/1.3) slipped two tenths.

Leading out of some Olympics pre-something, NBC’s SVU (6.4 mil/1.8) was down 16 and 10 percent, while Chicago PD (6.1 mil/1.7) slipped 12 percent in audience/was flat in the demo.

RELATED | Arrow Bosses on Sara’s Surprise [Spoiler], Felicity’s Backstory and Team Conflicts

The CW’s Arrow (2.75 mil/1.0) dipped 8 percent and a tenth, while Tomorrow People (1.38 mil/0.5) dropped 21 and 29 percent.

1. Birdie says:

Criminal Minds: The power of Paget Brewster, ratings generator for CM.

• uh huh says:

Actually, I think “the power of a little promotion” is more accurate.

• Alan says:

ah yes because its totally not possible that the milestone episode with heavy promotion was the cause of the high ratings, no it had to be a random ex cast member showing up.

• KLT says:

Given that all of the on-air promos featured Paget’s return, yes she does deserve some credit for the ratings bump. It was the reason I watched this episode live instead of months later–if at all (I still have unwatched episodes from last season on my DVR and am only caught up on this season because I wanted to make sure I understood what was going on in this episode). Yes all of the other promotion also counts, but in terms of actual impressions (how many people saw various promotional pieces), the promos were what reached the greatest audience.

• rowan77 says:

It’s both – and her character was hardly considered random. Paget Brewster was and continues to be a fan favorite. Her return definitely brought eyeballs to the episode, but it’s also the show’s 200th episode and that also has been hyped a great deal. Other than a few logic issues, the episode was pretty great, I thought.

• Jerri says:

She guested on Community, that didn’t help their ratings any.

• B says:

Well the OP didn’t say “ratings generator for Community” now did they?

• rowan77 says:

So you think the people who watch Community are all the same people who watch Criminal Minds? Apples and Oranges. She had a small cameo on the most esoteric sitcom on broadcast television. If they weren’t interested in Community before, those few moments of her on the screen wasn’t going to change that.

• Alan says:

i watch community and criminal minds, im sure i cant be the only one.

• rowan77 says:

No, but the world doesn’t work in absolutes. Just because some Criminal Minds fans also watch Community, doesn’t mean all, or a significant amount do. The shows have very different sensibilities, so while Community fans enjoyed her cameo – and fans of both shows, likewise, that doesn’t mean all fans of Criminal Minds were going to watch a show that changes structure almost weekly and has three-beat visual jokes that take three seasons to tell.

Community is an acquired taste. I love the show (especially now that Harmon is back), but as their rations clearly show, it is hardly a mainstream show like Criminal Minds.

• grys03 says:

Nice to see Paget in CM. But am I alone in thinking there seemed to almost no reason for her to be there? Some contrived rubbish about a whispered conversation & some last minute action heroics – all of which seemed almost out of place. & though I’m glad for JJ that she survived the abduction – did she need to come out of it completely scot-free? Still enjoyed the show but it wasn’t the 2 or 3 part spectacular that I was hoping for.

• Amy in KC says:

I think they justified the reason because the U.S. government wasn’t letting the BAU work on the case, so Hotch and the team went “over their heads” to ask Emily (at Interpol) for help. It made sense to me and Emily knew details about what JJ was doing that the others didn’t…info that helped them track her down. Also, on an emotional level, it drew a nice parallel between JJ knowing Emily’s secrets and helping her (a couple of seasons ago) and now Emily doing the same for JJ.

2. Eddie says:

Modern Family has been such a big disappointment this season. Season 1-2 were brilliant, 3 was ok, 4&5 have been poor. I hope they have limited emmy-love this year.

• Rook says:

It’s already not getting the same love it got for season 1-3. Yeah It got outstanding comedy but the actors didn’t win in their categories.
      And the way this season going I think they’ll be a fall back win if no other actor shines in the category

• shuayb says:

The last ep of modern family was hilarious…. Don’t know what planet u r on.

• rowan77 says:

They quality isn’t quite as high this season, but that happened to all shows. Hell, every other season of Friends was “meh” at best, and even MASH had some downturns from one season to the next. It depends on the writing staff of any given season (which does change each season as people cycle in and out) and who the head writer is.

3. Jen says:

JJ kicks serious ass! Canadian ladies are tougher then you think;)

4. wrstlgirl says:

Great episode of Criminal Minds but it would have been just as good without the guest spot of Brewster. It was a nice appearance but meh.

5. Fernando says:

Oh TTP lol

I don’t think Nashville a deserve a season 3 with those ratings

I hope NBC makes Wednesday in the fall a Dick Wolf night SVU, Chicago Fire, and PD all in one night

• rowan77 says:

Nashville is still a little schizophrenic with its characters. They do things out of character in order to serve the story – and sometimes the story isn’t particularly interesting. I watch the show for Connie Britton, Chip Esten, Hayden Panettiere and Jonathan Jackson more than any other reason. And that shouldn’t be for a series in it’s second season. I think someone who can plan long story arcs better needs to be running the writers room. This show misses so many opportunities by drawing out stories that aren’t strong enough to hold our interest that long, and glossing over great moment that could be interesting game changers.

• Ginger Snap says:

Nashville is just dull. It should not be renewed for another season.

6. Beth says:

Agree JJ made the 200th. AJ did such a good job, I just hope they do the episode justice and follow it up at some point.

It was nice to see Prentiss, but if they switched Prentiss’ scenes with members of the current team, I would have been just as happy.

Was really surprised by the episode, after all the spoilers and pics, I didn’t see half of it coming.

Looking forward to the next milestone.

7. Mark says:

To say that was the episode hat was to answer all the questions on Criminal Minds it left me with even more questions than answers so in my mind it was a good episode but didn’t do anything in regards to the big series questions and failed in that regard and didn’t as promised on the tin….

8. Maki says:

Arrow deserved so.much better. This was one of their best episodes. Nyssa was perfect and Laurel’s burn out, Katie nailed it.

9. LizzieB says:

Yes. Finally a shoutout to ETHAN THOMPSON!!!!!!

10. eds says:

So tired of these spy/secret mission stories on Criminal Minds. If Messer wants to re-do Alias, then she should move to another show. I hope they go back to the show’s roots–solving crimes using behavioral profiles.

11. Forwardad says:

And Criminal minds off again for how long? -sigh

12. Diz says:

2wks in a row here where basketball ran over & they just went into CPD that had already been on for 30 min. Glad they have shows available online now.

13. tp says:

Subugurtory used to be must see tv for me. Not so much anymore. From the opening credits to the depressing storylines…they are killing this show for me. I don’t mind the George/Dallas break up but this show has lost some of it’s charm.

14. The Rookie says:

I really think at least some part of the increase is due to weather, promotion and Paget Brewster. The highlight of CBS’s promos was Paget’s return. For me it does not mean a full return for PB but certainly better writing and some occasional visits.

I had stopped watching the show but I will start watching again to support the ensemble.I really, really love Prentiss but the show is more than one character.

15. nate says:

damn it yesterday was Tomorrow People’s best episode…WATCH IT!!!!!!!!!

16. Jerri says:

Watch Criminal Minds fall hard in ratings next time there’s a new episode.

And what happened with Suburgatory? Lower budget? yet they had enough in their budget to add new characters/people? Should’ve kept Noah around, it would’ve made the episodes this season much funnier IMO.

• Alan says:

of course it will, its not going to be a majorly hyped milestone episode, it will flow the same pattern every other show will follow in its post milestone episode by dropping back to normal levels.

17. LINDA says:

We love criminal minds.also Nashville!!!! we need to see more shows like this.its nice the music the characters sing love those 2 young ladies also they’re great.

18. Shira says:

I don’t get it. Nashville is a good show! It deserve much higher ratings and a season 3 at least. Period!

19. Morgan says:

Paget Brewster was underused for this episode. I only watched it because Prentiss was coming back to help JJ. The show hasn’t been the same since they originally dropped A.J. and Paget. When they brought A.J. back, it was already rolling downhill for me.

20. Jonathan says:

• Amy in KC says:

I agree…I like Paget and I liked Emily, but never LOVED her as much as many other fans seem to be. I thought her role in the show this week was perfect, and it was a very appropriate way to have her back. I am one of the (seemingly) few who actually likes Blake. I watch CM every week, but I was especially excited for this week simply because it was the 200th episode and I expected a lot…not because I was super excited to see Emily. Honestly I was just as pleased to see Anderson. :)

21. Jonathan says:

I think people are giving Paget too much credit. Don’t get me wrong, I love her as much as the next person but to say that she was mainly the reason the ratings soared is doing great injustice to the rest of the cast. Honestly, in my opinion, the cause for the spike in the rating was because one, it is the 200th episode. The promotion speaks for itself. Contrary to what people are saying, I highly doubt Paget’s 1-2 second mention in a promo was the draw in. Two, it’s the JJ storyline. I think that most of audience were thrown off with the change of JJ’s character when she came back as a profiler (I know I was) and was demanding to know what happened to make her change so. And the promo are more focused in creating hype for THAT storyline.

So I say it’s not just one person who made the ratings spike. However, I do give AJ Cook props on her performace. It was outstanding. She deserves more credit than what we usually give her. Props to Erica Messer and Rick D

• Amy in KC says:

Totally agree with everything you said! I replied to your comment above before I realized you’d posted this one too, sorry! To add…I also think people were curious to know what was going on with Esai Morales’ character…even though the show had already established that it wasn’t an affair, I think some people still thought that and wanted to get some answers from the 200th episode.

22. Jonathan says:

So I say it’s not just one person who made the ratings spike. However, I do give AJ Cook props on her performace. It was outstanding. She deserves more credit than what we usually give her. Was it Emmy-worthy? IMO, yes.

Props to Erica Messer and Rick Dunkle for being able to fit so much in just an hour and yet not overdoing it. Huge compliment to Larry Tang. The direction for this episode was just masterly.

Overall, was it a worthy 200th? Yes. Was it typical Criminal minds episode? No. But I think that’s why it worked. It’s different. I was about the team more so than the profiling of unsubs, and I think it was superbly constructed and executed. This show is not JUST about catcching the bad guys, it’s also about how the team is family and what they’d do/sacrifice to keep them safe.

I’ve been a fan since the show started, and I’m more of a fan now.

23. Ginger Snap says:

Now the Olympics have started and most of these shows are offering reruns – except Idol. I’m not a fan of the Olympics, but I think I have some things sitting on the DVR to catch up with.

24. j says: