Psych Out: USA Network Staple to Conclude in March After 8 Seasons, With Answer-Filled Finale

Get More: Cancellations

PsychI know, you know that this day was inevitable: Psych is coming to an end.

USA Network confirmed that the long-running comedy’s current eighth season will be its last; the closure-filled series finale — which I’m told will answer all of fans’ burning questions — will air on Wednesday, March 26 at 9/8c. It will be followed immediately by Psych After Show, a one-hour live remembrance/retrospective featuring a Q&A with the entire cast (including, of course, stars James Roday and Dule Hill) as well as series creator, Steve Franks.

RELATED | 2014 Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

Psych has made an indelible imprint on the television landscape, with a unique brand of comedy,” said Chris McCumber, President of USA Network, in a statement. “The final season celebrates the iconic characters that have made this show so beloved, and will be an exclamation point on the series’ incredible run. And while the series will wrap in March somehow I don’t believe we’ve heard the last of Shawn and Gus.”

Don’t believe we’ve heard the last of Shawn and Gus?! Are we talking a series of TV movies? A Broadway show? A cool farewell panel at Comic-Con? All of the above? As I investigate that little mystery, check out the parting gift James and Dule made this proud Psych-O below, then scroll down further to watch the pair’s farewell to fans, and then hit the comments with your Psych eulogies.

Loading video...

Comments (164)

• :( :( :(

Comment by Elyse – February 5, 2014 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just … I can’t. I can’t.

Comment by vioricabritton – February 5, 2014 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I knew it was coming but it still makes me sad :(

Comment by Elyse – February 5, 2014 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I feel the EXACT same way.

Comment by Sharon Rudolph – February 5, 2014 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • So sad! They made me laugh even when I was down in the dumps!!!

Comment by Fran – February 7, 2014 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I know what you mean…it was one of the only “murder” shows that I enjoyed watching with my husband. I love all the actors and actresses and the story lines….and the comedy was great. I hope that USA will reconsider cancelling it….we will REALLY MISS IT!!

Comment by Kim – February 9, 2014 03:41 PM PDT
          • Does not seem like 7 seasons! Really hittingit’s stride! Don’t care for the misstep of Anthony Michael Hall but they could have turned that around. Not ready to say goodbye!

Comment by Angela – February 16, 2014 03:59 PM PDT
    • Pouring one out for the boys. Eight great years – no regrets and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to be ashamed about,

Comment by ScrubsGuy – February 5, 2014 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank God The most irritating buffoonish characters I have seen in a long time-

Comment by Pam goodley – February 5, 2014 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • *rolls eyes*

Comment by Elyse – February 5, 2014 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Who is forcing you to watch it?

Comment by Carm – February 5, 2014 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m actually worried about the Clockwork Orange-esque scenario you’ve found yourself in where you have to watch this against your will.

Comment by J – February 5, 2014 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I concur ENTIRELY. I enjoy Suits, White Collar, and (while it was on) Burn Notice. I will not miss Psych because it had GREAT potential and turned into a goofy thing. I do apologize to those who love the show; eight years validates that run. Bless the loyal fans and the network for keeping them entertained. Fan or foe, let’s all hope something just as vivacious replaces it.

All is well!

Comment by CK – February 5, 2014 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ur a fat fuking bitch who doesnt know comedy

Comment by An – February 6, 2014 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • thank god this ultra gay stupid show is finally getting out of the way,as far as your profane insults it only shows you to be a homebound sexual deviate with a sick,hateful demeanor and very low intellect. good luck with the rest of your miserable life.

Comment by jeff – March 5, 2014 03:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • It’s funny that you’re insulting another person’s intellect when you can’t even write a grammatically correct sentence. You might rethink your insult next time, genius.

Comment by EB – March 25, 2014 11:10 PM PDT
      • that made be so, but we still loved them! thanks for the great 8 years.

Comment by niles is my name – February 10, 2014 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Noooooooooooooooooooo!

Comment by Christine – February 6, 2014 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • To the USA network that cancelled Psych “Suck it”

Comment by jan – February 28, 2014 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m so disappointed.

Comment by Jose Pastor – March 14, 2014 01:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • this is more then i show this is a life style this was the first show i have ever seen which had made me cry i don’t want his show to go i want this show to go on the future generations please don’t finish the legacy of Shawn gus Jewls and Lassie

Comment by Tyler – March 16, 2014 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am extremely disappointed in USA network for taking Psych off the air! It’s one of the few shows enjoyed by women, age 13+ children, and the over 50 crowd. There is a glut of reality shows—more than we’ll ever need! Please bring back PSYCH. CBB

Comment by Carol B – March 16, 2014 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So Psych-O’s …. How many times daily do you spout out Psych references? We had to stop counting ….

Comment by Joanna – March 26, 2014 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s a nice show (I don’t watch it, but that doesn’t mean that I think it’s bad) but, isn’t it long overdue?

Comment by ck – February 5, 2014 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Also, you people here tend to say “cancelled” so easily. To me, it seems like it’s just ending.

Comment by ck – February 5, 2014 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “Cancelled” means it isn’t renewed but not by choice of the producers – “ending” implies it is an agreed upon end date set by both the studio and producers. But being “cancelled” after a long, successful run shouldn’t be viewed negatively.

Comment by ScrubsGuy – February 5, 2014 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, and no. Yes because USA doesn’t really do shows for long periods of time, Monk and Burn Notice are probably the only shows that went on for almost a decade. Don’t be surprised if White Collar, Royal Pains, and Covert Affairs are all canceled by the end of 2015.

No because Psych is one of those rare shows that really only got better as the show went on, never jumping the shark or skipping a beat. Everyone involved in the production of it gave it their all, and you can tell they never tired of it, and never once put out something they wouldn’t be proud of. You can tell they really cared about their fans and did their best to make every episode special.

It sucks to see it go, but I’m sure USA kept it on so long because of the fans and how lovable the show is. Its clear the network is moving in a different direction now, which is made evident by their Chrisley show.

Comment by Joey – February 5, 2014 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually, like Psych, Monk lasted 8 years. Which sucked, because anyone who knows Adrian Monk knows he would’ve been much happier with an even 10. :)

Comment by Nicole Panteleakos (@NicElizP) – February 5, 2014 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • This made my day.

Comment by Michael Westen – February 25, 2014 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Are they really buffoonish ….you think? Well, to have lasted 8 years means that lots of people admire buffoonery.

Comment by Brown Bee – February 5, 2014 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by bob – February 6, 2014 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Psych hasn’t been must see TV for me lately. They haven’t repeated the great eps like “Last Night Gus” this season. So, I’m cool with it.

Comment by Stormy – February 5, 2014 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My daughter watched it, she will be sad, I like the more darker TV programs myself.

Comment by mgpogue – February 5, 2014 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My description of this show reads like it’s marriage material – it has a great sense of humor, a big heart, and I love psych’s “family,” too. One could say “it’s just TV,” but I have enjoyed some great experiences with friends and family (and delicious flavor, c’mon, son!) surrounding viewings of psych, and the show took the time to give its fans and biggest supporters a going away present. Psych, thanks for all the laughs since 2006, and allowing me to post crazy thoughts like these for the span of your 8 season run on USA Network.

Favorite episode: unsure, but possibly “Tuesday the 17th.”

Comment by Winnie – February 5, 2014 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You must eb depressed all the time if all you watch is “dark” shows.

Comment by David4 – February 5, 2014 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • My Daughter says the same thing that I watch to much dark stuff, but I think the acting in dark movies and TV is better and more quality, However, when I did watch episodes of Psych, I really like to watch Dule Hill, he was the strong support actor for me , I guess the reason is because I liked him on the West Wing. However, I do like Doctor Who to keep it a little like and not so dark. Me and my daughter have shared many laughs watching the Doctor, however the the don’t blink episodes still gives me bad dreams.

Comment by mgpogue – February 5, 2014 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • we need more humor series like this one,

Comment by anne – February 6, 2014 01:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • sorry to see psych end my grandboys loved it

Comment by betty – February 6, 2014 10:56 AM PDT
        • Don’t you think that was kind of harsh?.. I love…love Psych.. one of the funniest shows ever..and im going to miss it being on.. but I also like dark dramas as well..and there is nothing wrong with me…’-)

Comment by Lunaflyy – March 12, 2014 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Heartbroken! They will be missed!!

Comment by ncmacasl – February 5, 2014 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, so sad. My whole family loves to watch it together, and we will miss it very much.

Comment by Lecholls – February 5, 2014 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it was announced a while ago that this was going to be the final season…

Comment by WayneInNYC – February 5, 2014 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Widely speculated, but never actually confirmed, if I recall correctly.

Comment by wordsmith – February 5, 2014 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well hopefully we do see more of these guys!

Comment by Esaul – February 5, 2014 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I mean, it’s been giving the last season vibe all along, so I’m slightly glad they finally announced it… but I’m still bummed. Where’s a fan of delicious flavor supposed to get her fix of fake psychics and super-smell enabled sidekick sleuthing from now on? Even after 8 years, it’s still my favorite show on USA!

Comment by maltru – February 5, 2014 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With so many new USA shows being advertized, it is inevitable that older shows are going to end. I’m glad it will get a fitting treatment, and join with those wondering what might be next for our stars. I really hated to see Monk and Burn Notice go, and bet that White Collar and Suits only have so many more seasons in them. So we have them in reruns and DVD’s and can only hope the replacement shows are as witty and fun as those they replace. Sure wish someone would have picked up Vegas. Thought it was just hitting its stride.

Comment by David G. Stern – February 5, 2014 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sorry to see Psych end but i do think it’s time and there will be no loose ends.Plus just because the series is ending doesn’t mean the show couldn’t do special episodes/movies from time to time.

Comment by Andrew Hass – February 5, 2014 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel how gus/dule does in that video!! So sad!

Comment by Robin – February 5, 2014 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will miss it, but I agree that I thought they knew that this would likely be the final season. Don’t think I’ll be watching much of USA now – still watch Covert Affairs & White Collar (any news on renewal?)

Also – The new “Chrisley” show they are promoting lately looks absolutely horrid! USA is moving in the wrong direction if that is an indication of the direction they are headed

Comment by Lisa – February 5, 2014 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen to that!!! I love USA for the shows – psych, white collar, suits, royal pains, burn notice, etc. to start. Doing “reality” takes away frim the uniqueness and excellence if the network. I’ll miss psych but its time. It needs some closure.

Comment by Liza180 – February 5, 2014 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I concur. It seems like TNT and USA want to dive into the Reality Show pool with the new shows they’ve been advertising. I watch these channels for their original shows. If they go down the reality road, I’ll be taking a different one, to a better channel.

Comment by Brakkis – February 6, 2014 12:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I couldn’t agree more! USA and TNT will lose lots of loyal fans because they are moving toward the ‘cheaper’ reality productions and away from the quality programs with great scripts and characters that you love to invite into your home! They had such a great thing going; too bad ‘someone; at the studios decided to go for the ‘cheap’ rather than quality lineup!

Comment by Rita, disgruntled fan – February 23, 2014 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have watched this show since it began. It is so funny. i loved Monk also. But, like Monk, I can still watch Psych in syndication.

Comment by MontanaGal14 – February 6, 2014 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you for not saying it was canceled. Hate when sites do that if a show has been on for 8 years and is getting a finale then it wasnt canceled

Comment by ggny – February 5, 2014 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll miss them. Hope for some reunion specials.

Comment by Diane – February 5, 2014 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My heart’s broken. However, major props and respect to USANetwork. They didn’t have to renew Psych for season eight. They certainly didn’t have to give us the interactive hour after the finale either. That is showing some real love to us Psych-O’s.

Comment by Esaul – February 5, 2014 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And didn’t Hill say, a few years in, they were not intending to go longer than Monk, which he considered an example? The episodes have ups and downs, but the series is brilliant, overall. So sad to see it end.

Comment by prish – February 5, 2014 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah they never wanted to over stay their run. It’s best to go out on a high note! And if this alludes to hopefully TV movies with Shawn and Gus, I’ll take it!

Comment by Esaul – February 5, 2014 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of course the series is ending, you’ve been hammering that point since this column started. It’s like tvline wanted it to die.

Comment by Jon – February 5, 2014 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think the same thing.

Comment by Kayla – February 5, 2014 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Paranoid much? Why in the world would TV Line care? Talk about killing (or in this case maligning) the messenger…

Comment by JoMarch – February 5, 2014 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will cry forever like Gus cries when he sees someone else crying

Comment by A – February 5, 2014 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • it is the onions, We will miss you Sam the Onion Man

Comment by Spinner – February 27, 2014 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I secretly hoped this shortened 8th season wouldn’t be the last one…but I am all for seeing Shawn & Gus pop up somewhere again hopefully soon!! Even if it’s just for once a year specials or whatever.

Comment by Dee – February 5, 2014 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I always hoped for A Monk and Psych crossover. Because that would be hilarious. Just let it sink in.

Comment by Jake – February 5, 2014 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Comment by Michelle – February 5, 2014 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My reaction = Gus’s reaction. But more so.

Comment by Kayla – February 5, 2014 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo :( I love this show

Comment by Sergio – February 5, 2014 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pretty much knew this would be the end, but with Jules show tanking, I had hopes it would go at least one more. It is easily, after the big bang theory, the BEST comedy on tv right now.

Hopefully we can at least get a few xmas specials in. But please, for the love of all that’s holy..NO MORE MUSICALS

Comment by DiverKlein – February 5, 2014 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Big pineapple flavored sad face….

Comment by Tallee – February 5, 2014 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe there will be a spin-off featuring the pineapple called Crushed.

Comment by Stormy – February 5, 2014 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THis makes me very unhappy! Psych was the only bright show I watched! Too damn bad!

Comment by Jeanne Jenkins – February 5, 2014 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Funniest show on television. Sorry to see it end!

Comment by LK – February 5, 2014 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am really really going to miss this show. I have watched it since the beginning and it always made me smile. It did such an amazing job in balancing between the light and heavier moments and the cast was wonderful. I am so sad that there won’t be anymore Psych after March.

Comment by M – February 5, 2014 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh no! I knew the end was going to come sooner than later, given how long it’s been on, but I’m still so sad at the idea. It’s been brilliant, and unlike so many shows that have also been on this long, it has never hit a low point creatively. It’s consistently been hilarious and clever and I’m so glad to have gotten 8 seasons. Thank you, USA and Psych cast & crew! You have left a brilliant legacy behind.

Comment by Brooke – February 5, 2014 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There is no other show like this on any network. I hate to see them go. I sure hope we get two or three TV movies a year from them!

Comment by NAN – February 5, 2014 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Adorable show

Comment by Tatjana – February 5, 2014 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I knew it was coming but still…. *tears* Will miss this show terribly.
    Shawn & Gus, one of my favorite pairs ever – always and forever!!

Comment by Eliza – February 5, 2014 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last piece of old school USA…RIP: Monk, Burn Notice, Law & Order:CI, In Plain Sight, and soon Psych

I can also see Royal Pains ending in 2015

Comment by Kenny – February 5, 2014 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the show. I watched every episode. It’s the funniest show on TV. I love Shawn and Gus. Their farewell was sad. Please don’t take the show off. It’s one of my favorites.

Comment by Bonnie Maynes – February 5, 2014 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 😪🍍

Comment by Nelson Ricardo – February 5, 2014 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad.. this is one show that always brightens my day when I watch an episode. clever humor with a touch of silliness. Nothing will replace the show, cute stars and the great writing. And I love the theme song too! I know you know that though.

Comment by sadjan – February 5, 2014 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not unexpected, but still disappointed. Psych was my escape TV; fun and always entertaining. I’m sure the actors will find other work, but the ensemble will be missed. Hope there might be some reunion events for them. Farewell Psych!

Comment by Anna – February 5, 2014 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve watched it from the very first episode, and will miss it. It’s the best slapstick comedy I’ve ever seen (and the only comedy show I watch). R.I.P. Psych. You gave us a good run!

Comment by Bitemore Gfotwo – February 5, 2014 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It stands toe to toe with Monk as the most iconic cable TV series. I will greatly miss it. As was mentioned above, although often goofy, it was consistently the most laugh inducing show on television.

Comment by HAP – February 5, 2014 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I always re-watch psych to catch ALL the jokes, seems too soon, but thanks for the many laughs!

Comment by sharrie – February 5, 2014 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show. I’ve been watching it from the start. The only thing that bothered me consistently over the past few years was that they turned Shawn’s character from a very skilled/observant, albeit cocky, normal guy into an idiot. I know it was done to get laughs, but they didn’t have to make him as stupid as they did.

Comment by ethan hunt – February 5, 2014 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the show was a fan after watching it first air. At least I was lucky enough to go with my sister to New York fo their fan appreciation day. The cast has always been wonderful to their fans it’s so rare to see that. All the best to all of them on any future projects they have and thank you all the years of laughs.

Comment by Christina – February 5, 2014 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Comment by Hmm – February 5, 2014 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Psych and HIMYM taking their final bows less than a week apart? I don’t know if my heart can take it…

Comment by Brendan – February 5, 2014 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My. reaction. exactly.

Comment by Becky – February 5, 2014 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG, that’s right! Going to be a sad TV week. :(

Comment by juli – February 8, 2014 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it might go one more season, but this is not too much of a surprise.
    It is an old cliche – to be sure – but it is probably good to go a little bit early than too late.

This show and Monk set the stage for USA;s ascension. They will be – are – hard acts to follow.

Comment by J.Norman – February 5, 2014 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Say it ain’t so!!! Life will not be the same without my guys!!!

Comment by Kat – February 5, 2014 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After 8 years I still haven’t gotten tired of watching Psych. I’ll definitely miss this show and all the laughs.

Comment by Tenney – February 5, 2014 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A pity. I mean season 7 had a couple of noticeable clunkers but I think the only issue was those were earlier on instead of peppered throughout. I’ve been enjoying the last few episodes so far, though I am a bit baffled about the context of the remake episode despite how much fun it was. It does feel like a good time to go out though since character arcs are pretty much done and with how the last episode ended there isn’t much ground left to cover.

Comment by Spinning Maze – February 5, 2014 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so glad I got to see the cast live and meet Maggie. Truly the nicest cast on TV. Thank you for 8 amazing years.

Comment by Amber – February 5, 2014 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think we all saw this coming. This season especially, it’s like the show has just been a parody of itself. Don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy it, but not nearly as much as I did in the early seasons.
    The biggest disappointment in this is in no longer getting to see James Roday and Dule Hill interact. They just have such fantastic on-screen chemistry.

Comment by ZhaneEndrick – February 5, 2014 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOOOO!!!! So sad right now. Oh please please please let them have one more comic con panel. :(

Comment by lala – February 5, 2014 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post