American Idol: 21 Audition Standouts We Can't Wait to See in Hollywood

It’s the calm before the bloodbath.

American Idol‘s Hollywood Week kicks off tonight (8/7c on Fox), with the new and improved judges’ panel facing the brutal task of whittling 212 Golden Ticket holders down to a lean, mean 31 contenders for Candice Glover’s throne.

VIDEO | Reality Check: Is J.Lo Likable or Lightweight? Plus: Nepotism, #Lazaro and a Criminal Snub!

To help you get ready for this jelly, I’ve hand-picked 21 of the most promising songbirds from the Season 13 audition tour — from an adorable Boston teenager to mustachioed hipster to a pair of chicas with a love of floral headbands.

Click through the gallery below for my picks — complete with links to all of their tryout videos — and then hit the comments and share which singers you’re most looking forward to seeing in Hollywood!

Comments (26)

• Jessica Bassett. :) She appeared on Ellen yesterday and was so good. I’m hoping there is some switch out or Idol slight of hand that brings her back.

Comment by Kim R – February 5, 2014 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think she’s better off without Idol. She wouldn’t last long anyway because Idol voters hate girls with guitars.

Comment by Timmah – February 5, 2014 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Idol voters don’t hate girls with guitars. Are you referring to how they voted like crazy for Crystal for 3 months and she was never in the bottom? But because on the last episode she finished 2nd instead of 1st that means they did not support her? The facts do not support your statement.

Comment by tealeaves – February 5, 2014 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They have to save some for next year. It took Candace Glover 3 times to make it through.

Comment by Ginger Snap – February 5, 2014 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like this lineup, but HEY! we are missing the Stand By Me guy…I think his name is CJ. I an hoping he makes it thru crazywood week…

Comment by waterbug – February 5, 2014 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh man. So many good ones! There are even a few I would definitely add to this list.

Comment by james – February 5, 2014 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Personally, I’m excited see what Emily Piriz does in Hollywood. They showed too little of her original audition, she sang Momma Knows Best by Jessie J.

Comment by BBJ – February 5, 2014 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m looking forward to seeing more of her too. I saw a clip of her on another site that sounded really good.

Comment by Timmah – February 5, 2014 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MAJESTY for the win!

Comment by Sarah – February 5, 2014 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alex Preston!! From Salt Lake City Audition… Amazing!!!

Comment by Sabrina – February 5, 2014 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MEGAN HAS GOT THIS

Comment by Larry Stilwell – February 5, 2014 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Savion Wright would have been an excellent addition to the list. I do agree with Jade Lathan as number one.

Comment by Hamish – February 5, 2014 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Tessa Kate. Her voice reminds me of Dolly Parton, in a good way!

Comment by gdv – February 5, 2014 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “white guy with guitar”
    That expression IS the worst. Let’s retire it. It’s a new dawn on IdolXIII.
    He could be the one. Of all those that have peaked my interest, (and there are many I like so far, some listed above, some not), I still have to say I got that “feeling” only about Sam. All around, (cute girls screaming and Harry’s comment “my girls are gonna love him” notwithstanding), his choice of song, something quirky about him, great delivery, showed talent…interesting all around, winning-material-package. Not picking him to win, just recognizing, that with only him, I got the early feeling I had with others who wound up in the finals.
    But that said…competition is there this season for other serious contenders. I’m hoping the show’s going to succeed this year…in great entertainment, great production and a great competition, with a deserving winner. I’m optimistic. :)

Comment by Amy – February 5, 2014 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • His list his heavy on the females. Apparently Michael didn’t like what he saw from the guys – even though we know that 50% of the ones who survive Hollywood week will be guys.

Comment by Ginger Snap – February 5, 2014 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes. I completely agree. Sam is much more than the tiring WGWG title everyone keeps throwing around-though perfectly adequate most of the time-he’s just really something else. Sam FTW!

Comment by LizzieB – February 5, 2014 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought Sam was terrible this evening. I thought they were going to send him home.

Comment by tealeaves – February 5, 2014 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keith London-not cute lol
    12 guitars-whoot!

Comment by karenb – February 5, 2014 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not looking forward to seeing Black Miley shoved down our throats for the next few months. Hopefully there’s enough real talent to make up for it.

Comment by Timmah – February 5, 2014 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with almost all of these, but Savion Wright would be in my top 10, if not top 5.

Comment by Adina – February 5, 2014 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay, so out of the top 31, you’ve nailed 8. (About 25%). So you’re going to see some people you like but whole lot more that you didn’t.

Comment by Ginger Snap – February 5, 2014 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I missed your power rankings last year! You didn’t do them all the way to the end. Please bring them back to stay. My favorites on this list are Jess Meuse, Majesty, Malcom, Sam, Dexter, Jillian, Briana, Austin, and Marialle. Wait…that’s actually quite a lot.

Comment by LeahKittyS – February 5, 2014 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jade Lathan is my favourite too. If she doesn’t make it to top 31, she better come back every year until she does.

Comment by Ben – February 5, 2014 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Jesse Roach’s voice, but I feel like she’s going to have trouble harmonizing during the group number. I could be wrong. I hope I am because she’s got a cool vibe, and Idol could use that kind of diversity.

Comment by zaza – February 5, 2014 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My 2 favs from start are #1….Briana Oakley, #2, Melanie Porras! They WILL GO FAR!

Comment by Jim Welker – February 5, 2014 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post