American Idol: 21 Audition Standouts We Can't Wait to See in Hollywood

It’s the calm before the bloodbath.

American Idol‘s Hollywood Week kicks off tonight (8/7c on Fox), with the new and improved judges’ panel facing the brutal task of whittling 212 Golden Ticket holders down to a lean, mean 31 contenders for Candice Glover’s throne.

VIDEO | Reality Check: Is J.Lo Likable or Lightweight? Plus: Nepotism, #Lazaro and a Criminal Snub!

To help you get ready for this jelly, I’ve hand-picked 21 of the most promising songbirds from the Season 13 audition tour — from an adorable Boston teenager to mustachioed hipster to a pair of chicas with a love of floral headbands.

Click through the gallery below for my picks — complete with links to all of their tryout videos — and then hit the comments and share which singers you’re most looking forward to seeing in Hollywood!

1. Kim R says:

Jessica Bassett. :) She appeared on Ellen yesterday and was so good. I’m hoping there is some switch out or Idol slight of hand that brings her back.

• Timmah says:

I think she’s better off without Idol. She wouldn’t last long anyway because Idol voters hate girls with guitars.

• tealeaves says:

Idol voters don’t hate girls with guitars. Are you referring to how they voted like crazy for Crystal for 3 months and she was never in the bottom? But because on the last episode she finished 2nd instead of 1st that means they did not support her? The facts do not support your statement.

• Ginger Snap says:

They have to save some for next year. It took Candace Glover 3 times to make it through.

2. waterbug says:

I like this lineup, but HEY! we are missing the Stand By Me guy…I think his name is CJ. I an hoping he makes it thru crazywood week…

3. james says:

Oh man. So many good ones! There are even a few I would definitely add to this list.

4. BBJ says:

Personally, I’m excited see what Emily Piriz does in Hollywood. They showed too little of her original audition, she sang Momma Knows Best by Jessie J.

5. Sarah says:

MAJESTY for the win!

6. Sabrina says:

Alex Preston!! From Salt Lake City Audition… Amazing!!!

7. Larry Stilwell says:

MEGAN HAS GOT THIS

8. Hamish says:

Savion Wright would have been an excellent addition to the list. I do agree with Jade Lathan as number one.

9. gdv says:

Love Tessa Kate. Her voice reminds me of Dolly Parton, in a good way!

10. Amy says:

“white guy with guitar”
    That expression IS the worst. Let’s retire it. It’s a new dawn on IdolXIII.
    He could be the one. Of all those that have peaked my interest, (and there are many I like so far, some listed above, some not), I still have to say I got that “feeling” only about Sam. All around, (cute girls screaming and Harry’s comment “my girls are gonna love him” notwithstanding), his choice of song, something quirky about him, great delivery, showed talent…interesting all around, winning-material-package. Not picking him to win, just recognizing, that with only him, I got the early feeling I had with others who wound up in the finals.
    But that said…competition is there this season for other serious contenders. I’m hoping the show’s going to succeed this year…in great entertainment, great production and a great competition, with a deserving winner. I’m optimistic. :)

• Ginger Snap says:

His list his heavy on the females. Apparently Michael didn’t like what he saw from the guys – even though we know that 50% of the ones who survive Hollywood week will be guys.

• LizzieB says:

Yes. I completely agree. Sam is much more than the tiring WGWG title everyone keeps throwing around-though perfectly adequate most of the time-he’s just really something else. Sam FTW!

• tealeaves says:

I thought Sam was terrible this evening. I thought they were going to send him home.

11. karenb says:

Keith London-not cute lol
    12 guitars-whoot!

12. Timmah says:

Not looking forward to seeing Black Miley shoved down our throats for the next few months. Hopefully there’s enough real talent to make up for it.

13. Adina says:

I agree with almost all of these, but Savion Wright would be in my top 10, if not top 5.

14. Ginger Snap says:

Okay, so out of the top 31, you’ve nailed 8. (About 25%). So you’re going to see some people you like but whole lot more that you didn’t.

15. LeahKittyS says:

I missed your power rankings last year! You didn’t do them all the way to the end. Please bring them back to stay. My favorites on this list are Jess Meuse, Majesty, Malcom, Sam, Dexter, Jillian, Briana, Austin, and Marialle. Wait…that’s actually quite a lot.

16. Ben says:

Jade Lathan is my favourite too. If she doesn’t make it to top 31, she better come back every year until she does.

17. zaza says:

I like Jesse Roach’s voice, but I feel like she’s going to have trouble harmonizing during the group number. I could be wrong. I hope I am because she’s got a cool vibe, and Idol could use that kind of diversity.

18. Jim Welker says:

My 2 favs from start are #1….Briana Oakley, #2, Melanie Porras! They WILL GO FAR!

19. Jim Welker says: