Pilot Casting News: The Flash Gets a Girlfriend, Also Adds Some Broadway 'Vibe'

The Flash Cast Candice PattonSet your pupils on Iris West.

The CW’s Arrow spin-off pilot, The Flash, has cast Candice Patton (The Game) in the series regular role of Iris West, our sister site Deadline was first to report.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Your Complete Guide to This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s In Them

The quick-witted best friend — and ultimately more? — of Central City assistant police forensic investigator Barry Allen (Glee’s Grant Gustin), grad student Iris is also the daughter of Barry’s father figure, CCPD Detective West (Law & Order‘s Jesse L. Martin).TheFlash_CarlosValdes

UPDATE: Also, Carlos Valdes (currently on Broadway in Once) has been landed the series regular role of Cisco Ramon, an engineering genius and the youngest member of the team of scientists at S.T.A.R. Labs. Per DC lore, this handy lad may be fated to become the Justice Leaguer known as Vibe.

RELATED | The Flash Casts Characters of Caitlin Snow and Would-Be Professor Zoom

Patton’s TV credits also include episodes of Rizzoli & Isles, Entourage, Heroes and Sorority Forever.

1. JJM says:

And enter the “but he can’t be with her, The Flash never dated a black girl in the comics!”

• wrstlgirl says:

Perfection :-) :-)

• Elliot says:

I think she actually looks alot like the way Carmine Infantino would have drawn Iris. Her looks fit his drawing style. So she is classic Flash.

• Alan says:

just wait until they introduce her nephew wally, the internet will go nuclear once that casting is announced.

• sarah says:

Another site says she will just be a friend,

• Alan says:

hah yes because they would totally use the name of the character he married in the comics for “just a friend”, thats like saying clark kent and lois lane are “just friends” (ok bad example because they are just that in the comics now).

• Lena says:

Is there a rule stating everybody must be white? I guess that is why I like Once Upon a Time. At least they are not scared to mix it up some…

• Alan says:

no but we are talking about pedantic comic book fans here where every slight change is the end of the world to them, just look at the uproar calling the city in arrow starling city rather than star city caused for an example.

• Lena says:

Oh okay…LOL Didn’t realize the fans were like that.

• Alan says:

swing by a comic book website some time, you will come to hate us for being ridiculously nitpicky, its good fun to read as long as you can stay out of the arguments.

• Jake says:

not all comic book fans are like that. I’m okay with the race change as long as she does a good job playing the character.

• reboot2099 says:

Not every comic book fans are like that, but yeah, sadly, some are.

I have absolutely no problem with Iris being black. What I have a problem with is more the fact that they said on Arrow that Barry was raised by Iris’ father. I don’t remember exactly for how long, but it’s long enough for Iris to feel like a sister.

Making her another ethnicity to make it feel less awkward doesn’t work with me. Being brother and sister is not about blood, but for how long they’ve been raised together. If Barry was adopted at 16 yo, sure I could see it. But I think it was way earlier than that. Hope I am wrong, correct me if I am, please :)

• Olivia says:

@reboot2099
            Westermarck effect is the theory of people (eg siblings) growing up together from when they’re young and it preventing any sexual feelings between them, but it’s only from birth until age 6, so after that it wouldn’t really come into it. So even if he were, say, 10 when it happened, it still wouldn’t kick in, so I think that aspect of it will be ok.

• Chris says:

I have to admit I don’t understand the reasoning behind changing the name of the city. It’s no big deal to me I just don’t see Starling as being better or more realistic than Star. For that matter if they REALLY wanted to be real Green Arrow lived in Seattle for awhile.

• Boop says:

I’m all for affirmative action, but changing the race of a preexisting character just to do it is dumb. Make black comic book characters so black actors can play them in the future but don’t change canon just to meet a diversity quota.

• Lena says:

Perhaps the writers were not trying to meet, as you put it, “a diversity quota”, because in their world they get that diversity exist. Why should they shut out African Americans or any race just because some people have a difficult time accepting a black person on their screen? The wonderful thing is there is a button on the remote. If a black Iris or ANY minority character bothers you Boop, turn the channel. This series will most likely be successful without your approval. Bye.

• Chris says:

Yeah, I like to think they picked her based on her acting and chemistry with the other cast members. Not that they just put out a casting calling for black actresses just because they wanted to. More likely, they cast Jesse L Martin (who is a great actor) and then HAD to cast a black actress to play his daughter. Either way, it all comes down to can she do the job and we will only know that for that sure when the show airs in the fall.

• Sol says:

Unless that character’s race is pivotal to that character’s personality or overall being, then it just DOESN’T matter.

There is nothing about Iris West’s character that states that she HAS to be white. If her ethnicity changes, then literally nothing about her personality or story changes either.

I think you’d be shocked to find this applies to a LOT of comic book characters out there.

So I don’t care if they changed her ethnicity. And you shouldn’t either.

• Chris says:

Yeah, that’s always been my ‘rule of thumb’ on this stuff as well. On any changes to a character from page to screen. I mean, changing Iris from white to black, or Perry White for that matter really doesn’t change who they are fundamentally as a character.

• telltale says:

Well this TV and 2014, he can date whomever he wants.

2. maki says:

Never heard of her. Don’t recall watching her in any show. But she is pretty, enough for CW.

3. John NYC says:

This news will crush Felicity…

Perk up Arrow from dower to merely glum though.. #SilverLining

• dude says:

I’m betting now that they’ve decided not to go forward with the backdoor pilot. we won’t hear much about him on Arrow.

• Mick says:

I think he is going to be back later in the season but it was announced weeks ago that they would not do a backdoor pilot.

• Chris says:

Last I heard there will be crossovers between the two shows from time to time and several “Arrow” cast members are going to be appearing in the “Flash” pilot so yeah there’s going to be connections throughout.

4. JC says:

I’m not familiar with her, but cool. I’d read a rumor that they were considering casting Tessa Thompson, and I really didn’t want it to be her. Is that all the main roles cast now?

5. Lambsilencer says:

I actually hoped that Danielle Panabaker would be the female lead. She is much more of a household name, and I think would have been perfect for the lead.

6. TvPeong says:

Good luck to Candice!

Felicity had her chance, and chose the Arrow

7. Christy says:

Awwww, poor Felicity.

8. CBWBDK1 says:

Not feeling it.

9. I hope they keep the plot point about her being from the future.

• Alan says:

99% chance that wont be happening, highly doubt eddie (ugh) thawne will be from the future too.

• Thawne should be Barry’s long-lost twin, Cobalt Blue, the ancestor of the Reverse Flash.

• If iris is from the future, then there’s a chance of seeing Impulse show up down the line. And XS. That be cool. And let’s have an episode/season finale-season premire in which Barry goes to the future and teams up with the Tornado Twins.

• Chris says:

I wouldn’t be so sure about that. I heard that “The Flash” is going to be much more fantasy and super powers than “Arrow” is, that’s why they’re pairing it with “Supernatural” and not having “Flash” and “Arrow” on the same night.

So, anything is possible.

10. James D says:

does this mean we’ll see Wally eventually. that would be cool Flash and Kid Flash working together. why else would her last name be West? looking forward to seeing how this compares to Arrow, I was pleasantly surprised with Gus’ performance.

11. Joey says:

Excited to see how these two latest additions to the cast will do on the show.

12. Amanda says:

Um, no. Not excited for her at all as his love interest. But then again I endure that awful Katie Cassidy on Arrow each week so I guess it’s just a pattern with the CW.

13. Scott says:

The Flash certainly seems to be making a lot of noise for something that is still just a pilot. It looks pretty clear to me that they will be going ahead with the series proper.

14. sladewilson says:

As long as they keep Comic Book Iris’ courage and smarts, I’m all for it. Iris West (in the comics) is no joke. I like the casting….

15. Meg says:

I wonder if Felicity will be in the pilot or be mentioned, or be a “telephone” conversation etc. I hope so.

16. Sebastian says:

Vibe is a horrible character. He’s just a Latino stereotype. Haven’t really read him in New 52, though, so if that’s changed, then he could be great as comic relief.

• Drew Melbourne says:

The modern character bares little resemblance to the original 80s version.

• Alan says:

the only good thing to come out of the new 52 is the new characterization of vibe, he is not a stereotype anymore.

• Sebastian says:

You don’t like the Court? Calvin Rose is my favourite character at DC now. I guess I’ll have to try reading some Vibe, if it’s that good.

• Alan says:

im not particularly fond of the court of owl or the talons, its made batmans already ridiculously convoluted history even more improbable to have happened in the mandated 5 years.

17. woodyinho says:

not very creative. both arrow and flash have love interests who are daughters of a detective.

18. Jeffrey says:

The black isn’t the surprising part. The ‘girl’ is.

19. Ninja Skyden says:

I LOVE CHANGES, LETS NOT FORGET HOW AWESOME I AM WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! I LIKE THAT THEY CAST EISENBERG AND THEY CAN SHOW HOW CHANGING IT UP IS GOOD.

20. Excellent beat ! I would like to apprentice even as you amend your website, how can i subscribe for a blog website? The account aided me a appropriate deal. I have been a little bit familiar of this your broadcast provided bright clear concept

21. Dick Whitman says:

The bigger question is will Grant Gustin be cast as The Flash in the upcoming Warner Brothers/DC movie featuring Flash and Green Lantern?

22. Dillon says:

She’s gorgeous. Can’t wait for Flash and new season of Arrow to start.

23. Chris says:

I think it’s kind of neat how a pretty much forgotten 80’s character like Vibe can start showing up again. I haven’t read a lot of recent comics (no place to buy them here, but I’m buying trades on Amazon in an attempt to catch up) but I understand he had something of a comeback in New 52 as well (I would guess sans the break dancing :) ).

I don’t care about the actress playing Iris being non-white, all I care about is can she act?

24. Nicki says:

Unless I take Iris West out to become Barry Allen friend, girlfriend, and wife in a friendly.