Pilot Casting News: The Flash Gets a Girlfriend, Also Adds Some Broadway 'Vibe'

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

The Flash Cast Candice PattonSet your pupils on Iris West.

The CW’s Arrow spin-off pilot, The Flash, has cast Candice Patton (The Game) in the series regular role of Iris West, our sister site Deadline was first to report.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Your Complete Guide to This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s In Them

The quick-witted best friend — and ultimately more? — of Central City assistant police forensic investigator Barry Allen (Glee’s Grant Gustin), grad student Iris is also the daughter of Barry’s father figure, CCPD Detective West (Law & Order‘s Jesse L. Martin).TheFlash_CarlosValdes

UPDATE: Also, Carlos Valdes (currently on Broadway in Once) has been landed the series regular role of Cisco Ramon, an engineering genius and the youngest member of the team of scientists at S.T.A.R. Labs. Per DC lore, this handy lad may be fated to become the Justice Leaguer known as Vibe.

RELATED | The Flash Casts Characters of Caitlin Snow and Would-Be Professor Zoom

Patton’s TV credits also include episodes of Rizzoli & Isles, Entourage, Heroes and Sorority Forever.

Comments (65)

• And enter the “but he can’t be with her, The Flash never dated a black girl in the comics!”

Comment by JJM – February 4, 2014 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Perfection :-) :-)

Comment by wrstlgirl – February 4, 2014 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think she actually looks alot like the way Carmine Infantino would have drawn Iris. Her looks fit his drawing style. So she is classic Flash.

Comment by Elliot – February 5, 2014 05:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • just wait until they introduce her nephew wally, the internet will go nuclear once that casting is announced.

Comment by Alan – February 4, 2014 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Another site says she will just be a friend,

Comment by sarah – February 4, 2014 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • hah yes because they would totally use the name of the character he married in the comics for “just a friend”, thats like saying clark kent and lois lane are “just friends” (ok bad example because they are just that in the comics now).

Comment by Alan – February 4, 2014 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is there a rule stating everybody must be white? I guess that is why I like Once Upon a Time. At least they are not scared to mix it up some…

Comment by Lena – February 4, 2014 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • no but we are talking about pedantic comic book fans here where every slight change is the end of the world to them, just look at the uproar calling the city in arrow starling city rather than star city caused for an example.

Comment by Alan – February 4, 2014 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oh okay…LOL Didn’t realize the fans were like that.

Comment by Lena – February 4, 2014 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • swing by a comic book website some time, you will come to hate us for being ridiculously nitpicky, its good fun to read as long as you can stay out of the arguments.

Comment by Alan – February 4, 2014 03:35 PM PDT
          • not all comic book fans are like that. I’m okay with the race change as long as she does a good job playing the character.

Comment by Jake – February 4, 2014 09:04 PM PDT
          • Not every comic book fans are like that, but yeah, sadly, some are.

I have absolutely no problem with Iris being black. What I have a problem with is more the fact that they said on Arrow that Barry was raised by Iris’ father. I don’t remember exactly for how long, but it’s long enough for Iris to feel like a sister.

Making her another ethnicity to make it feel less awkward doesn’t work with me. Being brother and sister is not about blood, but for how long they’ve been raised together. If Barry was adopted at 16 yo, sure I could see it. But I think it was way earlier than that. Hope I am wrong, correct me if I am, please :)

Comment by reboot2099 – February 4, 2014 09:26 PM PDT
          • @reboot2099
            Westermarck effect is the theory of people (eg siblings) growing up together from when they’re young and it preventing any sexual feelings between them, but it’s only from birth until age 6, so after that it wouldn’t really come into it. So even if he were, say, 10 when it happened, it still wouldn’t kick in, so I think that aspect of it will be ok.

Comment by Olivia – February 5, 2014 02:12 AM PDT
    • Well this TV and 2014, he can date whomever he wants.

Comment by telltale – February 5, 2014 04:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Never heard of her. Don’t recall watching her in any show. But she is pretty, enough for CW.

Comment by maki – February 4, 2014 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This news will crush Felicity…

Perk up Arrow from dower to merely glum though.. #SilverLining

Comment by John NYC – February 4, 2014 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m betting now that they’ve decided not to go forward with the backdoor pilot. we won’t hear much about him on Arrow.

Comment by dude – February 4, 2014 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think he is going to be back later in the season but it was announced weeks ago that they would not do a backdoor pilot.

Comment by Mick – February 4, 2014 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not familiar with her, but cool. I’d read a rumor that they were considering casting Tessa Thompson, and I really didn’t want it to be her. Is that all the main roles cast now?

Comment by JC – February 4, 2014 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I read rumors they are casting the “Vibe” dc character aswell. But I got a feeling we’ll get an Arrow character on the show aswell Thea,Helena or someone.

Comment by maki – February 4, 2014 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh yeah I forgot about Vibe – I read that too.

I can’t imagine them transplanting any Arrow characters over though. Maybe guest appearances, but not full-time.

Comment by JC – February 4, 2014 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • See update :)

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – February 4, 2014 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually hoped that Danielle Panabaker would be the female lead. She is much more of a household name, and I think would have been perfect for the lead.

Comment by Lambsilencer – February 4, 2014 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Danielle Panabaker is not a household name and just because she plays his girlfriend, doesn’t mean she’ll be the female lead. This show may not have a female lead. They might all be supporting.

Comment by dude – February 4, 2014 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Per the Hollywood Reporter, Candice Patton is the female lead.

Comment by Lambsilencer – February 4, 2014 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Being a better known name doesn’t necessarily mean better lead. Look at what’s happened with Katie Cassidy and Emily Bett Rickards.

Comment by JC – February 4, 2014 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • This is very true. I definitely think Felicity is a bit more of a lead, and I like her character a whole lot more than what their doing with Laurle (spelling).

Comment by Jake – February 4, 2014 09:06 PM PDT
          • Yes, true. I also think that Danielle’s character might be “The Flash’s” Felicity.

Comment by Lambsilencer – February 5, 2014 07:42 AM PDT
          • I hope not, for the fandom’s sake. I love Felicity, but I really hope the disaster that has been Laurel is not repeated.

Comment by JC – February 5, 2014 07:55 AM PDT
      • It’s a show on the CW, it’s contractually mandated that it has a female lead.

Comment by Mister M – February 5, 2014 02:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Who?

Comment by wrstlgirl – February 4, 2014 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She still could have a major role on the show, if they go the Smallville route and try to have a friend turn enemy arch for Killer Frost and the Flash.

Comment by Quinn Mallory – February 4, 2014 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good luck to Candice!

Felicity had her chance, and chose the Arrow

Comment by TvPeong – February 4, 2014 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awwww, poor Felicity.

Comment by Christy – February 4, 2014 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not feeling it.

Comment by CBWBDK1 – February 4, 2014 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Typical. I don’t even have to guess what you are not “feeling”. Be ready for more disappointment in the years to come…

Comment by Lena – February 4, 2014 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What are you talking about?? I’m talking about the casting.

Comment by CBWBDK1 – February 4, 2014 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Exactly. We haven’t even seen an episode yet.

Comment by Lena – February 4, 2014 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they keep the plot point about her being from the future.

Comment by Michael Sacal – February 4, 2014 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 99% chance that wont be happening, highly doubt eddie (ugh) thawne will be from the future too.

Comment by Alan – February 4, 2014 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thawne should be Barry’s long-lost twin, Cobalt Blue, the ancestor of the Reverse Flash.

Comment by Michael Sacal – February 4, 2014 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If iris is from the future, then there’s a chance of seeing Impulse show up down the line. And XS. That be cool. And let’s have an episode/season finale-season premire in which Barry goes to the future and teams up with the Tornado Twins.

Comment by Michael Sacal – February 4, 2014 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • does this mean we’ll see Wally eventually. that would be cool Flash and Kid Flash working together. why else would her last name be West? looking forward to seeing how this compares to Arrow, I was pleasantly surprised with Gus’ performance.

Comment by James D – February 4, 2014 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Iris West is Wally West’s aunt in the comics.

Comment by Drew Melbourne – February 4, 2014 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • (And Barry’s wife at one point. Point being that she’s been around as a Flash character even longer than Wally.)

Comment by Drew Melbourne – February 4, 2014 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Her last name is west because her name is Iris West in the comics. Wally West is her nephew.

Comment by Trick – February 4, 2014 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Haha I totally derped out there thanks for the reminder, it’s been a long time since i’ve read flash comics.

Comment by James D – February 4, 2014 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excited to see how these two latest additions to the cast will do on the show.

Comment by Joey – February 4, 2014 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Um, no. Not excited for her at all as his love interest. But then again I endure that awful Katie Cassidy on Arrow each week so I guess it’s just a pattern with the CW.

Comment by Amanda – February 4, 2014 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Flash certainly seems to be making a lot of noise for something that is still just a pilot. It looks pretty clear to me that they will be going ahead with the series proper.

Comment by Scott – February 4, 2014 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as they keep Comic Book Iris’ courage and smarts, I’m all for it. Iris West (in the comics) is no joke. I like the casting….

Comment by sladewilson – February 4, 2014 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder if Felicity will be in the pilot or be mentioned, or be a “telephone” conversation etc. I hope so.

Comment by Meg – February 4, 2014 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Vibe is a horrible character. He’s just a Latino stereotype. Haven’t really read him in New 52, though, so if that’s changed, then he could be great as comic relief.

Comment by Sebastian – February 4, 2014 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The modern character bares little resemblance to the original 80s version.

Comment by Drew Melbourne – February 4, 2014 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Really? That’s great for him. Then I’m looking forward to seeing him with Flash.

Comment by Sebastian – February 4, 2014 09:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • the only good thing to come out of the new 52 is the new characterization of vibe, he is not a stereotype anymore.

Comment by Alan – February 5, 2014 03:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You don’t like the Court? Calvin Rose is my favourite character at DC now. I guess I’ll have to try reading some Vibe, if it’s that good.

Comment by Sebastian – February 5, 2014 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • im not particularly fond of the court of owl or the talons, its made batmans already ridiculously convoluted history even more improbable to have happened in the mandated 5 years.

Comment by Alan – February 5, 2014 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • not very creative. both arrow and flash have love interests who are daughters of a detective.

Comment by woodyinho – February 4, 2014 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The black isn’t the surprising part. The ‘girl’ is.

Comment by Jeffrey – February 4, 2014 11:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE CHANGES, LETS NOT FORGET HOW AWESOME I AM WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! I LIKE THAT THEY CAST EISENBERG AND THEY CAN SHOW HOW CHANGING IT UP IS GOOD.

Comment by Ninja Skyden – February 17, 2014 10:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent beat ! I would like to apprentice even as you amend your website, how can i subscribe for a blog website? The account aided me a appropriate deal. I have been a little bit familiar of this your broadcast provided bright clear concept

Comment by monster ibeats review – March 14, 2014 02:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post