NCIS: LA Boss Previews 'Major' Drama for Kensi/ Deeks, Sam/Callen's Run-In With Danny Trejo

NCIS LA Spoilers Deeks KensiCBS’ NCIS: Los Angeles resumes Season 5 tonight at 9/8c with the first of two February sweeps outings — the second of which unleashes the typically fearsome Danny Trejo. But does Machete not kill this go-round?

First up, the NCIS team this week trails the murder of two military contractors, while in subplotland Sam sets Callen up on a blind date. But amid and beyond that, there’s other drama to be had, as Kensi’s top-secret op has explosive repercussions for Deeks and the team at large, while Trejo’s aforementioned visit sheds light on no fewer than three characters’ pasts. TVLine recently invited show boss Shane Brennan to talk up what’s to come.

RELATED | NCIS: Los Angeles Boss: Daniela Ruah’s Pregnancy Gave Birth to a ‘Great Arc’ for Kensi

TVLINE | First off, how did the timing of Daniela Ruah having her baby [on Dec. 30] work out? Had you already filmed everything you needed to get her off the canvas for however long you might need her off?
It worked out perfectly. We planned ahead — we were working on eight episodes at the same time! — and she is in every episode. Taking Kensi and Deeks to that moment that everyone’s been waiting for was the key to it. And then, before they had a chance to explain themselves or to discuss what happened, we split them apart and sent her off to Afghanistan….

TVLINE | But they’ve been keeping in touch….
They’re keeping in touch, yes — and Hetty is doing things to keep them in touch…. The story that we’ve come up with in Afghanistan will impact both Kensi and Deeks in a totally unexpected way. It impacts on the rest of the team, as well. We’ve been slowly revealing what her mission is, and when it comes time to complete it, something major happens. Something that shocks everyone and puts Kensi in an enormous amount of jeopardy. And then we have to deal with the consequences of that, at the same time she and Deeks are dealing with the reality of that night they spent together – and I’m not saying anything happened, though it certainly looks that way.

RELATED | NCIS: LA Exclusive: Bones Baddie Andrew Leeds Joins Season 5 in Recurring Role

TVLINE | They will have been faced with the worst possible consequence – “If we’re together, what happens when one of us gets sent into the line of fire? And do we want to keep doing that or not?”
We’re going to certainly play with their emotional stability. One of the interesting themes for Deeks and for Kensi to deal with, at the beginning of this season, was the trauma that Deeks went through after being tortured [in the Season 4 finale], how he was going to cope with that. What we do with Kensi when she comes back is put her through that same emotional trauma that Deeks went through. I’m not saying she gets tortured, but….

TVLINE | “Can two people who have each endured great trauma connect?”
Yes, how do they connect? They have a common understanding of something, but at the same time it’s… messy. And I can tell you, when Kensi NCIS Los Angeles Spoilerscomes back, finally — back to L.A. and back to the team — it doesn’t work out the way she thinks its going to work out.

RELATED | NCIS: LA Enlists Cult Film Icon Danny Trejo for ‘Big’ February Sweeps Episode

TVLINE | I also understand you’ll be flashing back to Sam and Callen’s first days together, in the Feb. 25 episode.
It’s not a flashback, but more of a “flash story back”…? I don’t think that’s a word. [Laughs] We don’t flash back and see them in that situation, but we discover how they first met. It involved a character called Tuhon, played by Danny Trejo, and an unresolved case. Here we are, six years later, and Tuhon’s back in circulation, back on their radar, and we discover a whole lot more about that character than they ever knew when they first went after him. What we learn is that he has a very close connection to Hetty. So you’ve got Danny Trejo… and Linda Hunt. [Chuckles] And their scenes are fantastic. Danny loves this kind of stuff, because he gets a little… I wouldn’t say “typecast,” but people have an expectation. So it’s great to be able to turn that expectation on its head.

TVLINE | Might this tough, scary, tattooed guy have a soft spot for Hetty?
[Smiles] I think he could well have a soft spot for Hetty…. Hetty has a soft spot for everyone, but she can also just cut ‘em off if she needs to. It’s a great episode with some amazing action sequences in it, and yet at the same time you’re taking this tough, scary guy and showing the other side of him. And for Sam and Callen, it’s much as a surprise for them to see what he’s really like.

Want scoop on NCIS: LA, NCIS or any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Tricia says:

Anyone else thinking Kensi is going to have to kill her ex-fiancé? I was hoping when he popped up it would be comedic, but the more they talk about her assignment, it makes more and more sense.

• Alan says:

yeah it seems pretty likely that her ex is the white ghost, which could be a really great story for her to go through.
      i dont think addressing her relationship with (i want to say jack but i cant remember properly) with something comedic would have been the right thing to do given her story about how it all fell apart, no way would comedy have been the right tone for that.

• lisa says:

I totally agree. I think Jack is going to be the White Ghost… especially since now it’s “emotional trauma.” I would hope she isn’t in huge danger, but could absolutely see Jack being the White Ghost as danger and trauma! I can’t wait!

• M3rc Nate says:

Wow wait, did fans just put this together themselves or were there hints? Cause until i read this i did not once think about her ex fiancee, barely remembered she had one. In fact i need to google him to read up on whatever has been told about him in previous episodes. That would be a fantastic story line! For Kensi to have to shoot her ex fiancee who has gone bad and then go home having not only just assassinated someone, but someone you loved and had promised to marry? (thats what saying yes to proposal is). I think that is a great way to keep Kensi-Deeks apart but working on each other, getting closer slowly, then hopefully not too far from now, really become a couple not just always be on the precipice.

• Alan says:

no its just wild speculation on our parts but the first time i heard it i thought it fit very well and its just stuck in my head since then and nothing thats been said since has made me think otherwise.

2. 889ol says:

Will anyone from your blog ever ask anyone associated with the show why they felt it was okay to show Kensi punching Deeks in Frozen Lake? Will you ever acknowledge that a number of fans are livid over this? Do you find their anger just plain wrong, and you can honestly say if it was Deeks punching Kensi, you’d be okay with that, too? Will anyone ever call out anyone from this show on the horrible portrayal of mental illness relating to Deeks’s trauma? It’s unbelievably disappointing to see you and other journalists actually say things about Ziva leaving, or other things that upset them, but when it comes to NCISLA, you just regurgitate this always inaccurate spoilers.

• M3rc Nate says:

I agree

• Ashley says:

Agreed. As someone with PTSD, I was wary of how they’d play it. I know the original NCIS has the tendency to do things and then have it come back to impact things in a big way down the road (sometimes even SEASONS down the road), but LA’s all but dropped Deeks’ PTSD. I can understand Sam moving on; he’s trained for that. Deeks is just a cop. I highly doubt he went through a SEAL type training in preparation for possible gruesome torture. Lack of follow through and representation on that storyline has been awful. I’m pretty sure I could’ve gotten better character development and, ultimately, closure on a CW drama, to be honest.

• Janeen Drake says:

Deeks may not have the formal training for dealing with PTSD. However, we do know that he had a very abusive childhood–which led to his having to shoot his father [last name Brandel] when he was around 11 years old in order to save his mother/himself. So, the torture in this episode if far from the first time that Deeks has suffered in his life. That said, I do think that his PTSD (and Sam’s too) should show up now and then as a continuing motif.

3. MD says:

Thanks for the preview. Love reading about NCIS LA!

4. John 1138 says:

Good episode tonight!

“Did I get him?”

Terrific line.

5. tsegidimond says:

when when would I see densi be together after all this time? I definitely think Jack is the white ghost but it is really gonna be hard to kensi to shoot someone she once loved, what I don get is what does it mean she will experience similar kind of emotiona trama & what would she expect when she get back & don get it? Z other thing I wanna ask is does this all situations mean we won’t see densi being together in this season?

6. Dan says:

I get the feeling that NCIS:LA will go down the same road as NCIS… Always teasing the shippers but never really deliver. Always play it safe and ultimately become annoying and boring.

I haven’t bothered to watch the last couple of episodes and nothing Shane Brennan says here makes me feel good about the future of the show.

• Judy says:

Iam sick of ncis la making most story lines about everyone but callen. He is the main character and barley gets an storyline.

• hondomojo says:

How did you arrive at the conclusion that Fallen is the main character of this show?
        This show is about team-work on the job and it is interspersed with all the team-members’ personal lives and problems.
        I believe your opinion is squed because of an attraction for Fallen. The writers are developing all of the cast’s characters, so you’ll just have to live with the situation, or stop watching.

7. Apples says:

No asking about the ever-so-controversial punch, Mr. Mitovich? Soft effort. That is the reason I have quit watching the show and investing the K/D relationship, and the way Brennan and the writing team are being let off the hook for it is very disappointing.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Was unaware of the “controversy” (I don’t troll NCIS LA fan boards), will be sure to raise it next time I speak with Shane.

• Apples says:

Just check out the comments section from tvline’s own Dec 17 article on the show/the pairing. Admittedly a couple of those comments are mine, but it divide the fanbase, which isn’t all the vocal online compared to Castle or the like I suppose. Would love to hear what SB has to say on the issue (though it is unlikely I personally will go back to watching).

• 889ol says:

I commented about it above, there were a number of comments on your dec 17th blog. You don’t need to troll boards – a quick glance at the “densi” tag on tumblr would lead you to posts aplenty even as recently as last week. Or in December when there many more comments on that post. I get that NCISLA fandom is less vocal than other fandoms, but that seems to be the reason Shane Brennan is able to get away with presenting intimate partner violence on screen and CBS has the punch on their file of clips of the “densi” relationship.

8. Amanda says:

I want to know when Kensi is actually going to get to come home. I get that she’s “in Afghanistan” while Daniela is on maternity leave, but for Pete’s sake, she had her baby back in December! I’m way past ready for her to come home. It’s just to the point of being annoying now. Exactly how much longer do we have to wait?!

9. Glen says:

If Jack (Kensi’s Ex) is indeed shot and killed by Kensi, while there will be a grieving period for Kensi, I would imagine that emotion will eventually draw her and Deeks together. As a huge fan of the show (in large part because of the “Densi” effect), I am hoping that the two characters do not become more “Involved” in the show. I think that have gotten as close as they need to get without comprimising the value of the show. This is NOT suppose to be a romantic drama. We’ve seen enough “subtleties” in the show to know that they are an item. Whatever the writers/producers do, please DO NOT GET RID OF “DENSI”.

Loose Densi and I’m gone.

10. Barry says:

The past two episodes have been so disconnected and confusing that I have trouble figuring out where everything is going. It’s almost like there are two distinctive plots with the writers not having a clue on how to bring things back together again. The Kensie in Afghanistan is a total stretch that is completely implausible.

11. Carol says:

If Deeks and Kensi don’t continue thier so called relationship I will stop watching