S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Chloe Bennet Ponders Skye's 'Super' Secret: 'It's Limitless What I Could Be!'

Agents of SHIELD Skye AsgardianTo hear Chloe Bennet tell it, tonight’s episode of Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (ABC, 8/7) — which is titled “T.R.A.C.K.S.” and is set largely on a train — could arrive at an extremely interesting destination.

“This next episode is my favorite so far of the entire season,” the actress enthuses to TVLine.  “Like, I couldn’t stop reading it. This one stands out to me as one that’s really, really fast-moving.” (High-speed train pun likely not intended.)

VIDEO | Sneak Peek: The Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Encounter Dangers on a Train

Of course, for Bennet the stakes are higher than ever, now that a big bombshell has been revealed about Skye’s origins: Years ago, many S.H.I.E.L.D. agents died trying to protect her as a newborn, seeing as she is an 0-8-4 — a subject of unknown origin — and thus could very well boast powers of one kind or another.

Reflecting on that reveal, which she first learned of when reading the “Seeds” script for the first time, Bennet says, “I’ve been in the dark as much as everyone, so I was just shocked. When I got to the end of the script, it was crazy, like, ‘Whaaaat?!'”

“Hearing that I might be an alien or an Asgardian or have powers…. It’s limitless what I could be,” she continues, eyes wide open with anticipation, “and that is so exciting. It’s always great to read more about this person that you play every day, because Skye is such a big part of me.”

RELATED | S.H.I.E.L.D. Gets a Visit from Thor‘s Lady Sif — Plus: Clairvoyant to Be Revealed

Coming down to Earth (so to speak), Bennet also weighed in on the decidedly more human aspects of Skye’s S.H.I.E.L.D. existence.

For one, she says there will “definitely” be more development on the Skye/Agent Ward front, even though “he’s a little busy with May right now.” As she sees it, “Skye and Ward are soul mates, so I have a feeling that there’s going to be some more flirtation between them.”

RELATED | Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. to ‘Add’ a Marvel Character

Speaking of Agent Melinda May: It goes without saying that while she is by no means president of the Skye Fan Club, neither is she an all-out detractor of the onetime hacktivist. In fact, a recent episode pulled a bait-and-switch when May cast her vote for the non-agent to get booted from The Bus, but only because she knew the tech-savvy lass could be more useful to the team released into the wild.

“When I read that first scene, I was like, ‘What the f–k?!’ I was freaking out,” Bennet recalls with a laugh. “May is  the type of person who — and I respect this about her — you have to work  hard to be liked in her book. She is like, “Kid, you hacked S.H.I.E.L.D.! That’s all we know about you.’ Like she said to Coulson, ‘When people break into my house I don’t usually invite them over for dinner,’ and that’s what Coulson did, because he and I have this connection. Skye’s relationship with May is definitely an interesting one!”

Want more scoop on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. CBWBDK1 says:

I hope she’s dead soon. Terrible character.

• JDo says:

Man;finally sheild takes off ,and all you can do is hope a character dies;I must admit at first it was so childish; who is the writers know he nothing of sheild or marvel.Look this is superhero business the exchange between the two tech’s was so annoying and now you put some real food on the mineu great lets see what happens.

• Marvel says:

out of all the characters you people hate SKY.?!?!?!?! HAHHAA WHY.. cause she better then you .. hahha.. id say May just from her. im better then you attitude and always acting like she all that and hot and sexy when she just an annoying miserable has been.. sky got more potential . and her story is more interesting..Yous are probably most likely a bunch of little kids underage.. and who barley read or no anything about marvel. Let alone shield and what theyre trying or doing with the show..Get over it cause so FAR SHE is her to STAY> l0l Children and there computers,

• jb says:

It amuses me that a person calling those who dare to dislike a character he likes “children” and “little kids” writes a post so full of spelling and grammatical errors that it looks like a little kid wrote it.

2. Christina says:

I like Skye more now than I did 3 months ago, but I still prefer FitzSimmons. I want to know when that ship is going to sail!

3. Jay says:

“Skye and Ward are soul mates” — the problems with SHIELD in a nutshell.

4. SK says:

I stopped watching because I couldn’t stand Skye. I tried really hard but I just couldn’t do it. I don’t think I’ve ever stop watching a tv show because I couldn’t stand a character.

5. MagicThings says:

“Skye and Ward are soul mates?” Um. Excuse me now? Where did Agent Stiff and Mary Sue go from being work buddies to soul mates? The “Skye” character is everything wrong with SHIELD and now that the writers have gone and made her some super important 0-8-4 the chances of her being killed off are nil.

• Elicia says:

I think they are both what is wrong with SHIELD lol. Maybe they could ride together in the sunset and new actors could be brought to the show before the small fanbase disappears into the nil. I’m still watching but I’m fast losing interest. When I think it was the show I was having the greatest expectations about…

6. JMH says:

My buddy thinks she’s a Kree. That revelation would dovetail nicely into Guardians this summer.

7. Gaara says:

It’s just a thought, but even before the reveal that she’s a 0-8-4, I had the feeling that Skye could be the asian “reincarnation” of Psylocke..

• J. Carr says:

Good theory, except Psylocke is part of the X-Men deal with Fox. She can’t be on this Marvel-verse show.

• Matt says:

Incorrect. Marvel is free to use ANY and ALL characters of their choosing in the TV-verse. Not the movies though. The deal is strictly for films.

8. jed17 says:

Spoiler…

Clairvoyant = The Mandarin
    Centipede = The Ten Rings
    Skye = daughter of the Mandarin

…..or is it!?!

9. tv2day says:

They need to kill off some of the main characters. They suck, especially Skye. Need more of an edge to this show. Also, do away with the Saturday morning cartoon music score.

10. Michelle says:

Soul mates? Sweet baby Jesus.

11. MizShelbyK says:

I’m not heavily invested in the Marvel universe. I just enjoy the movies and I enjoy the show. I don’t know much about all these obscure villains and lore. But I do know all the show characters have to have somewhere to grow. Skye has certainly grown on me since the first episode though I do wish there was more focus on FitzSimmons flirtation. And for all the Skye detractors, if she does turn out to be an alien or Asgardian etc, it may be easier to write her off the show someday because she’d need to join her people or something.

12. Liz says:

Shield has certainly stumbled a bit, but ultimately I like the characters and the promise of the show. The focus shouldn’t be on the Skye/Ward relationship – if that happens, and I’m not against that, it shouldn’t be THE point of the show

13. K. says:

Man a lot of Skye haters…I like the character much more now then at first and kind of hope her and Ward do get together at some point because I just can’t stand him and May together! I don’t see any chemistry there at all…Please split them up, I even cringe a little when their together!

14. Nicola says:

I just can’t get on board with Skye. All the other characters have completely grown on me, including Ward (he and May are awesome together). But not Skye. The character is just awful. Every line she utters jolts me out of the story. Sigh. I feel like it can only get worse with this new development.

15. Lauren says:

Personally, I would prefer no pairings of any kind. FitzSimmons comes of more siblings/Bffs than anything. And Skye/Ward have no chemistry together whatsoever. I choose to ignore the Ward/May hook-up because frankly, we all know that is going to end at some point soon. I wish the show would stay away from all romantic entanglements and just be a fun, spy, superhero show.

16. Ms Thing says:

Her power is that whenever she enters a room, she duck the life out of it. Dull and uninteresting character. I want her to die soon.

17. RobMF says:

People are weird, Skye is great. I love that character. Before the reveal that she has some powers I thought for sure she was May & Coulsons secret kid. I think Ward is a terrible character honestly. He’s dry as cardboard and who cares about him and Agent May? It’s boring.

• janet says:

I agree I like Skye! But I think they do a good job trying to draw the dryness out of Ward with funny bits like the holo-table and then with the tough stuff like “the well” episode. I thought the Coulson/May stuff from this episode was good and I liked Coulson/Skye and Coulson/Simmons “Prostitutes? Plural?”
      I liked the timeline story telling. Good episode.

18. Kavanaugh says:

Personally I like Skye, especially when she interacts with FitzSimmons, but I can’t stand the idea of SkyeWard. Damn it, it’s so… boring. I don’t think they have any chemistry, and they’d be so predictable – soul mates stuff it’s getting boring, as if it’s all pre established. I would love to see no pairing at all, for once. Just a pretty good team full of friendship. Or, at least, try to develop Ward’s character, the guy is kinda flat.

• Mai says:

I totally agree. I like Skye. But, I hope they never revisit Skye and Ward, and completely forget the soulmates stuff. Those two have the most boring, least chemistry, interactions on the show. Ward does need more character though. He’s actually my least favorite on the show.

19. Heidi says:

She could be Vanirian, Asgard’s sister race.

20. sladewilson says:

Wanna save the Skye character and make comic fans like her? Make her Contessa Allegra de Fontaine’s daughter. That oughta be interesting….

21. Bob says:

Ncik Fury would have thrown her off the heli-carrier after her early season betrayals. Pitiful character and actress

22. Susie says:

I would like to see Skye and Ward at some point but it needs to be built slowly over time and should not be the focus now.

For me the main point leading up to this show and driven home is a team is stronger when it becomes a family. No other charter or relationship shows that better in this show than Skye and Coulson. Skye is the heart of the show and if she is taken off even with so many hating on her it will not last two season after.

The point of her being the one shot is that she was hurt and may die trying to make Colon proud. No she’s not prefect. The charter is basically a kid, she sees the world a basically good but now she is seeing the world as it really is dangerous and with each eppy she is growing up. That’s why many are saying we like her better now. This is a sole burn show that has to build it’s charters all but Coulson. I actually like it and I like that the actress has a clear view ostensibly who she believes her charter is because all the writing in the world can’t make an actress a charter.She either is or isn’t the charter and I fully believe she is Skye.

23. Brastius says:

I really hope Joss doesn’t read these comments. I know what he’s doing, but this generation has no idea what character development is. If this were a lesser show by a lesser writer, Skye would be eye candy for the kiddies, and Ward would be juggling apples and telling jokes by the end of the first episode. And, apparently, there would be all the Marvel characters walking through in a line, continuously, each episode.

Please Joss, just do your thing and keep going. Those of us who are normally not vocal, enjoy what you’ve made here and like where it’s going.

• BJ says:

Agreed! :) I like this show and the direction it is heading. Joss Whedon has done a phenomenal job here and his work should be appreciated and applauded. I do believe he is a person that is true to himself and his characters so greatness can only come from that.

• murley says:

Well said! Both the plot and the characters grown more dimensional and intersting with each episode. Personally I can’t really figure out what is so hate-able about Skye, other than the fact that people seem to like to hate young, attractive female characters who are inherently likable just on principal. I find it very discouraging and petty.

• spignejr says:

People who understand a Whedon-show, understand this. However, most people don’t understand vital story-telling, like character development, story arcs, etc. Besides, Whedon does what he wants. He doesn’t care to listen to the fans, because he’s been doing this for 17 years (God, I’m getting old).

If you want an example of good character development, look at Cordelia Chase (minus season 4 of Angel, which WASNT the real Cordelia, and should be avoided at all costs). Whedon takes shallow rich girl and molds her into a woman who sacrifices herself for the greater good, and repeatedly shows a big heart. Another prime example is Willow Rosenberg, who goes from shy nerd girl to badass superwitch in 7 years.

Whedon understands storytelling. Let him tell his story.

• Mark Menter says:

Agreed. With Whedon, the character development is at least as important as the story line. And all of the characters are evolving nicely. I did not think that I would like this team, and watched the show out of allegiance to Whedon. But now, I look forward to each new episode.

24. Mya says:

I love skye on here, at first I wasn’t too sure about her, but then I started to like her more and more, I really hope they keep everything the same though, fitz and simmons are to adorable to become a couple, they are the brother/sister of the group which is cool, they are funny, may/ward is not good, I think they shouldn’t be together at all honestly lol, I was literally in tears this past episode with skye being shot,it would be crazy if she is from Asgard, I would freak out lol..

25. Hipper says:

Soulmates!?!?!! Ahahahha. Oh dear sweet baby Jesus.

26. janet says:

Great episode!

27. Dena says:

I love Skye & think her chemistry w/ Coulson is fantastic. I actually see more chemistry between Coulson & May than May/Ward but maybe that’s the point? Focus more on team building though & get away from “shipping” for now

28. Nissey says:

I like Skye I think because she has not been trained by S.H.I.E.L.D. makes her perspective unique. I would love to see how she blossoms on the show.

29. Maria says:

I’m watching this show froms Spain and I realy love it. I can’t wait for the next episode :O and I will love to see Skye and Ward finally together but well, it seems that we have to wait a little more :P. Hope there will also be a second season.

30. Annabelle says:

certainly like your web site but you have to checck the spelling on several off your posts.
    Many of them are rife with spelling problems and I in finding it
    very bothersome to inform the reality then again I’ll definifely come again again.

31. Laura Pickering-Polstra says:

Rewatching all of these episodes. I don’t understand why people hate parts of the show or characters or this pairing or that pairing. Marvel Agents of Shield, like most of Joss Whedon’s tv shows, is head and shoulders beyond anything else on tv right now. (The only other show close right now is The Blacklist, and that’s mostly because of James Spader.)

Considering all of the crap on tv, reality tv, singing and dancing shows, moronic sitcoms, I would think that anyone with an appreciation of real storytelling, including interesting characters, witty dialogue, and great actors, along with amazing special effects and action scenes, could see that this show is entertaining and interesting.

Lighten up Marvel Universe purists! You all are going to talk yourselves right in to another stupid weight-loss, I-can-sing, and date-your-brother extravaganza….

32. A trend has emerged to ban or place restrictions on circuses
    that use wild animals for entertainment. Another essential characteristic for the
    two is a great track report. The Toronto Disability lawyer specializes in disability claims and compensation for
    the victims or the injured so that they get the compensation they are
    entitled to.