Exclusive

Scoop: Scott Bakula Joins NCIS: New Orleans

Scott Bakula NCIS Spin-OffCBS’ latest, New Orleans-based NCIS offshoot has filled its first role, and it goes to TV vet Scott Bakula.

RELATED | Pilot Season: Your Guide to This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows, Who’s In Them

TVLine has learned that the alum of such series as Men of a Certain Age, Star Trek: Enterprise and Quantum Leap is boarding the planted pilot in the role of NCIS Special Agent Pride. (Meaning, TVLine reader Dan called it! 500 Power User Points for him.)

Described as “embodying New Orleans,” Pride is “driven by the need to do what’s right … with warmth, passion, strength and humor. He’s a unique federal agent working in one of this country’s most unique cities.”

RELATED | Meet the Agents of NCIS: New Orleans — Plus a Few Casting Suggestions

In the prospective series — which is being exec-produced by NCIS boss Gary Glabserg and star Mark Harmon, and will air its pilot as a springtime NCIS two-parter — the New Orleans NCIS office will handle cases from Pensacola through Mississippi and Louisiana to the Texas panhandle. Per the logline, “With its rich setting of music, fun and debauchery, New Orleans is a magnet for military personnel on-leave. And with fun comes trouble.”

Still to be cast for the pilot are the roles of Agent LaSalle (a “muscular,” “devilish” and “charming” 30something former Sheriff’s deputy, raised in Louisiana), Agent Brody (a 30something female wielding an Ivy League mind and “Grace Kelly-like class, pomp and circumstance”) and Dr. Wade (the “outspoken” and “eccentric” Ducky of the team). I previously offered my casting ideas here.

RELATED | NCIS Exclusive: It Is Happening Next Season!

Bakula’s other TV credits include (but are never limited to!) HBO’s Behind the Candelabra (for which he earned an Emmy nomination), Chuck, Desperate Housewives and appearances on Looking and Two and a Half Men.

1. lala says:

great news!!!! He is fun to watch on TV. I had the good fortune of meeting him on the set of “Chuck” what a nice man.

2. GildedRose says:

And my interesting and excitement about this spin off goes way up! (like from 0 to 100)

3. ninamags says:

OMG!!! I love, love, love this man.

Cannot wait to see him on my tv on a weekly basis once again.

Now if we can only get Welling to be Agent LaSalle all will be well.

4. Eric says:

Nice. I’ve loved Bakula since I watched him as Mr. Bartowski on Chuck as a teen. Good to see him get another regular role after Men of a Certain Age. Hopefully this one sticks around a little longer.

• kay_d. says:

I’ve loved Bakula since I watched him as Sam Beckett on Quantum Leap as a teen. :) Agree with the rest, though.

• ben says:

Hey, youngster, Chuck was invented just the other day. “As a teen” makes it sound like it was a decade ago. Stop making me feel so old! Lol.

• Sara says:

HAHAHA yes…have some respect for the teens during Quantum Leap

• TexasGreatGrams says:

I still love Quantum Leap-have all seasons on DVD. Scott Bakula will be great for this role. Would also love to see Tom Welling on NCIS:NO. Love NCIS and the city of New Orleans, so hoping for the best for the new series. Will definitely be watching.

5. Michelle says:

Now I have to watch even though I gave up on the mothership and LA ages ago. Love me some Bakula!

6. Mary says:

I had thought maybe CBS had finally had enough of the crime scene investigator shows when it had 5 on and then ended two of the CSI spin offs. Guess I was wrong since they’re working on another NCIS spin off.

7. Christine says:

I’m still crossing my fingers the showrunners listened to Matt’s suggestion for Tom Welling for the role of Agent LaSalle

8. Kristen says:

Very nice!!

9. M says:

How about Dylan Bruno for Agent LaSalle. I’ve missed him since Numb3rs went off the air.

• Becks says:

That’s not a bad idea. I really liked him on Numb3rs.

• Kathie Menker says:

But didn’t Dylan Bruno play baddie Col. Bell’s henchman on some NCIS episodes? People will remember.
      I’m so glad to see Scott Bakula to get this role. He’s perfect for it! Men of a Certain Age (part of 1 episode was enough for me) and the mercifully short-lived “We Are Men” from last fall were totally dumb. The previews for the last one were so stupid, I couldn’t understand why any of those well-respected actors would even consider doing something so inane and vulgar. Total waste of time.
      I like the idea of a female “Duckie”. What about Sharon Gless or Tyne Daly? Or the actress who played the ME in “Saving Grace”. Can’t think of her name at the moment, but she is also well-known on TV. What about Gina Bellman, from Leverage? She’s got a British accent, too. I was totally bummed when that show went off. She might be too young, though.
      I just hope the over-all product is as good as NCIS:LA

• Kathie Menker says:

Saw Dylan Bruno playing another baddie on NCIS LA last night. He attacked Nell in the interrogation room and the rest of the team barely made it in time to save her!

10. Karen says:

Wow….love Scott Bakula…though another NCIS spin off….will it last?…hope so

11. Kate Garner says:

Love this get! But I picture LaSalle as African-American.

12. Terrie1000 says:

Perfect. So glad to see Scott Bakula!

13. Alex C says:

Tom Welling and Bridget Regan are my choices for next 2

14. CBWBDK1 says:

Was this the character you thought Tom Welling should play?

15. Darlene says:

I am now so excited about this spin off, I can hardly stand it. “Oh, boy!” Scott Bakula. What a wonderful choice!

16. Andrew Hass says:

I’m very happy and excited that Scott Bakula is going to be on NCIS:New Orleans.

17. David G. Stern says:

This sounds like a great start to what should be an excellent third prong in the franchies.

18. Sheldon W. says:

I love this! Bakula has the kind gravitas to lead an NCIS team, but is not without a sense of humor, either (kinda like Mark Harmon…). NCIS Special Agent Pride just became infinitely more interesting with Bakula’s casting.

19. margot says:

We hope to be chosen TOM WELLING! TOM would be perfect for the role of Agent LaSalle!..

20. Dav says:

Wait…I didn’t see a character description for the qwerky, IT and/or Lab expert who wears odd clothes and dies her hair weird colors. I thought every CBS crime show had to have one of those.

21. DavidSask says:

Bakula are you that broke that you have to go with this overused franchise?, I really hope CBS doesn’t bring this past pilot!

22. FLOVE! me some Scott Bakula. I’ve never seen NCIS but this is definitely a reason to give this one a look. Now just get Gale Harold back on the small screen on a regular basis and life will be v. v. good.

23. sara says:

Yes Tom Welling is perfect for the role ….. fingers crossed. I hope that our dream come true. Tom would be a fresh and original, you have to give more room for new players! Tom in Parkland was fantastic!

24. AFan says:

Christian Kane as LaSalle and Beth Riesgraf as Dr Wade. :) Really would like to see Beth Riesgraf back on TV.

25. Terry says:

I have always loved Scott Bakula. He is an awesome actor,and really easy on the eyes.
    Yay yay

26. Miriam Maurer says:

I really want to be able to watch this show too so no to Tom Welling can not stand either him or Smallville.

27. prish says:

I never thought of him! What a great choice! Loved him in Quantum Leap.

28. karen says:

Scott Bakula will do GREAT in this role as an agent in New Orleans!! I had a hard time “getting into” the characters of NCIS:LA. Hope this one isn’t the same way!! Nothing compares to the original though!!! Love Mark Harmon!! Still miss Ziva because her presence was a key part to the chemistry; but still trying to understand ! If we could just get a straight story on why she is no longer on the show, it would be better in trying to adjust to the new girl. I, for one, am not feeling the chemistry of bishop yet!

• Alan says:

here is your straight story, the same straight story thats been said hundreds of times since she left: she wanted to leave the show so they let her go. oh and we cant forget how she screwed up plans for the start of the season by leaving her decision to the last minute, forcing the writers to scramble around for a last minute fix to get her out.

• Angie says:

Well put Alan, that is exactly the reason she left!! Also let us not forget how Ziva/Cote left w/o a word to all her fans. IMO that is exactly what the writers get for making “Ziva” the central point of many episodes & ripping the “balls” off all the men. Amen!!!

• lll says:

Ziva is okay but she was written to make men look weak and stupid like so many tough women on television today. Can we say overkill? Wait, are we supposed to congradulate Scott Bakula?

29. april-ann says:

He is Hot.

30. bj says:

I’m so excited about this news. I think he’ll be perfect for the role and someone we can all love as much as we love Gibbs at NCIS. I hope they choose the rest of the cast as wisely and check them for chemistry with his character so that they don’t get a disjointed mess like the other NCIS spinoff that didn’t make it last year.

I am now in a very happy place.

31. Rae says:

I was between the ages of 8-12 when Quantum Leap was on tv…not exactly a television show for kids but I loved Quantum Leap! Great casting for NOLA! I hope this NCIS can stack up to the original. I love NCIS and my Gibbs!

32. Lorie says:

I like this choice!

33. weep says:

I hope it gets picked up
    but don’t forget red didn’t get picked up

34. ben says:

Damien Lewis sounds perfect for Agent Brody.

35. Danna says:

Excellent choice!

36. Angie says:

I agree with most of the posts, I think Scott Bakula would be great, hopefully they will get a cast that gels with Bakula’s character & there will be a lot of chemistry.

37. mopapa says:

If it’s going to take place in New Orleans, can they PLEASE send someone to actually learn a New Orleans accent? New Orleanians DO NOT speak with a Southern drawl. If you want to hear what most New Orleanians sound like, listen to Harry Connick, Jr.

• Marc says:

I heard that they are going to do some shooting in New Orleans. If they shoot the whole show there–Louisiana has a film and television tax credit–they should be able to get good solid local actors for guest appearances. If they NYPD Blue/CSI/CSI: NY it and show up a couple of times a year, that won’t happen. I’m less concerned about the cast not having New Orleans accents as they may not be locals, but the weekly guests playing locals who sound like they are from Fresno or Phoenix will make me cringe as they do on Castle and Riizzoli and Isles not to mention every New York sitcom filmed in LA.

• Terrie C says:

Give me some Cajun Bakula. OH, BOY!

• CJacks says:

THANK YOU!! OMG how do none of these people have a New Orleans accent??!! I love the cast as individuals, but I lived in Louisiana for years and the show comes off as inauthentic. The accent is a major part of the culture. Lucas’ syrupy Southern drawl isn’t cutting it!!

• J.Bennett says:

ncis……”who orleans’,’.hollywood couldn,t care less how we native new orleanians feel about their yet even another poor portrayal of new orleans accents.they have remained true to form and have chosen to continue their long tradition of unauthenticity. to you hollywood and your ncis…..”who orleans series”,later for you all,…..and to my fellow new orleanians who are fed up with hollywood,s ”don,t care attitude” i say ”vote with your remote”.

38. ru says:

YES, YES, YES, A great choice! Scott is such a versatile actor he’d be great in the part!

39. Liz says:

CBS just loves repeating itself. How dull. Scott Bakula deserves better.

40. A says:

Suddenly, I’m interested in this show…

41. tejas says:

YAY! Love Scott Bakula! I’ve already been looking forward to the spin off…now I REALLY can’t wait. :-)

42. marika says:

Yes please tom Welling !!!!!

43. rk535 says:

Love him! great casting!

44. Ben says:

Fantastic actor, great human being, legendary roles (Quantum Leap, Star Trek Enterprise, CHUCK) – suddenly very interested in NOLA!

45. bav says:

Another good choice would be Josh Stewart (JJ’s husband from Criminal Minds)

46. Britta Unfiltered says:

Hmmm, I’m feeling fairly conflicted here. I really hate those NCIS shows, but I have been madly in love with Scott Bakula since Quantum Leap first premiered in 1989, so hmmm…not sure if I should watch or not. I do need something to replace the Sergeant Brody-sized hole in my heart.

47. bobbie says:

Oh I will definitely watch this! Must watch Scott Bakula.

48. monica moss says:

Tom Welling is perfect for the role: muscular, charismatic and beautiful! So Tom will leave L.A. too many women around him and in his bed.

49. Vanny says:

Very excited for this. Still love both NCIS series, and I Love Scott Bakula! So, a win-win!

50. David says:

Can his character get a better last name?