Scoop: Scott Bakula Joins NCIS: New Orleans

Scott Bakula NCIS Spin-OffCBS’ latest, New Orleans-based NCIS offshoot has filled its first role, and it goes to TV vet Scott Bakula.

RELATED | Pilot Season: Your Guide to This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows, Who’s In Them

TVLine has learned that the alum of such series as Men of a Certain Age, Star Trek: Enterprise and Quantum Leap is boarding the planted pilot in the role of NCIS Special Agent Pride. (Meaning, TVLine reader Dan called it! 500 Power User Points for him.)

Described as “embodying New Orleans,” Pride is “driven by the need to do what’s right … with warmth, passion, strength and humor. He’s a unique federal agent working in one of this country’s most unique cities.”

RELATED | Meet the Agents of NCIS: New Orleans — Plus a Few Casting Suggestions

In the prospective series — which is being exec-produced by NCIS boss Gary Glabserg and star Mark Harmon, and will air its pilot as a springtime NCIS two-parter — the New Orleans NCIS office will handle cases from Pensacola through Mississippi and Louisiana to the Texas panhandle. Per the logline, “With its rich setting of music, fun and debauchery, New Orleans is a magnet for military personnel on-leave. And with fun comes trouble.”

Still to be cast for the pilot are the roles of Agent LaSalle (a “muscular,” “devilish” and “charming” 30something former Sheriff’s deputy, raised in Louisiana), Agent Brody (a 30something female wielding an Ivy League mind and “Grace Kelly-like class, pomp and circumstance”) and Dr. Wade (the “outspoken” and “eccentric” Ducky of the team). I previously offered my casting ideas here.

RELATED | NCIS Exclusive: It Is Happening Next Season!

Bakula’s other TV credits include (but are never limited to!) HBO’s Behind the Candelabra (for which he earned an Emmy nomination), Chuck, Desperate Housewives and appearances on Looking and Two and a Half Men.

Comments (101)

• great news!!!! He is fun to watch on TV. I had the good fortune of meeting him on the set of “Chuck” what a nice man.

Comment by lala – February 3, 2014 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh BOY! great news. Glad to see him get a money maker, he deserves a hit.

Comment by Elliot – February 3, 2014 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What does Ziva have to do with Scott Bakula or the New Orleans spinoff? I’m a huge fan of the casting of Scott,

Comment by Rob – February 3, 2014 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And my interesting and excitement about this spin off goes way up! (like from 0 to 100)

Comment by GildedRose – February 3, 2014 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lol same here! I’m hoping this one doesn’t vanish like NCIS:Red did last year.

Comment by Luella – February 3, 2014 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So agree!

Comment by Elaine benizzi – February 3, 2014 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t even remember NCIS Red. Who was in it? The casting was probably the problem, if I can’t even remember who was in it, let along which episodes.

Comment by Terrie C – February 7, 2014 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Kim Raver, John Corbett, Scott Gimes. Loved premise.

Comment by Elaine – February 7, 2014 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Excellent choice of Scott Bakula for NCIS New Orleans. Very exciting. I’ll be watching. But could you bring back Ziva for Denoza on NCIS…?

Comment by Nancy Mitchell – February 3, 2014 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG!!! I love, love, love this man.

Cannot wait to see him on my tv on a weekly basis once again.

Now if we can only get Welling to be Agent LaSalle all will be well.

Comment by ninamags – February 3, 2014 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can not imagine anyone but Tom Welling as LaSalle when I read his description since someone suggested him in the last NCIS:NO story. I think it would be kind of cool.

Comment by Eric – February 3, 2014 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If Tom Welling is added then I’m going to have to watch! lol

Comment by CountryQueen – February 3, 2014 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nice. I’ve loved Bakula since I watched him as Mr. Bartowski on Chuck as a teen. Good to see him get another regular role after Men of a Certain Age. Hopefully this one sticks around a little longer.

Comment by Eric – February 3, 2014 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve loved Bakula since I watched him as Sam Beckett on Quantum Leap as a teen. :) Agree with the rest, though.

Comment by kay_d. – February 3, 2014 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I am another who loved his portrayal of Sam, and really happy he gets a chance at another big franchise part.

Comment by APWUK – February 3, 2014 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hey, youngster, Chuck was invented just the other day. “As a teen” makes it sound like it was a decade ago. Stop making me feel so old! Lol.

Comment by ben – February 3, 2014 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • HAHAHA yes…have some respect for the teens during Quantum Leap

Comment by Sara – February 3, 2014 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I still love Quantum Leap-have all seasons on DVD. Scott Bakula will be great for this role. Would also love to see Tom Welling on NCIS:NO. Love NCIS and the city of New Orleans, so hoping for the best for the new series. Will definitely be watching.

Comment by TexasGreatGrams – February 3, 2014 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now I have to watch even though I gave up on the mothership and LA ages ago. Love me some Bakula!

Comment by Michelle – February 3, 2014 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had thought maybe CBS had finally had enough of the crime scene investigator shows when it had 5 on and then ended two of the CSI spin offs. Guess I was wrong since they’re working on another NCIS spin off.

Comment by Mary – February 3, 2014 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • not while they are still profitable are they going to give up on them, thats why we are getting more ncis and less csi.

Comment by Alan – February 3, 2014 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m still crossing my fingers the showrunners listened to Matt’s suggestion for Tom Welling for the role of Agent LaSalle

Comment by Christine – February 3, 2014 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very nice!!

Comment by Kristen – February 3, 2014 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about Dylan Bruno for Agent LaSalle. I’ve missed him since Numb3rs went off the air.

Comment by M – February 3, 2014 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s not a bad idea. I really liked him on Numb3rs.

Comment by Becks – February 3, 2014 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But didn’t Dylan Bruno play baddie Col. Bell’s henchman on some NCIS episodes? People will remember.
      I’m so glad to see Scott Bakula to get this role. He’s perfect for it! Men of a Certain Age (part of 1 episode was enough for me) and the mercifully short-lived “We Are Men” from last fall were totally dumb. The previews for the last one were so stupid, I couldn’t understand why any of those well-respected actors would even consider doing something so inane and vulgar. Total waste of time.
      I like the idea of a female “Duckie”. What about Sharon Gless or Tyne Daly? Or the actress who played the ME in “Saving Grace”. Can’t think of her name at the moment, but she is also well-known on TV. What about Gina Bellman, from Leverage? She’s got a British accent, too. I was totally bummed when that show went off. She might be too young, though.
      I just hope the over-all product is as good as NCIS:LA

Comment by Kathie Menker – February 4, 2014 06:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Saw Dylan Bruno playing another baddie on NCIS LA last night. He attacked Nell in the interrogation room and the rest of the team barely made it in time to save her!

Comment by Kathie Menker – February 5, 2014 06:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow….love Scott Bakula…though another NCIS spin off….will it last?…hope so

Comment by Karen – February 3, 2014 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this get! But I picture LaSalle as African-American.

Comment by Kate Garner – February 3, 2014 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Anthony Mackie is actually from New Orleans, but I don’t think he’d want to do any TV at this moment.

Comment by Guest – February 3, 2014 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yeah i think he might be a little busy being a superhero right now.

Comment by Alan – February 3, 2014 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Perfect. So glad to see Scott Bakula!

Comment by Terrie1000 – February 3, 2014 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tom Welling and Bridget Regan are my choices for next 2

Comment by Alex C – February 3, 2014 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If they cast those two I’m going to force myself to watch. Scott Bakula is a great casting choice. Didn’t he star in a star-trek spinoff?

Comment by lll – February 3, 2014 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, he was the Captain in Enterprise.

Comment by crimibird – February 5, 2014 05:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was this the character you thought Tom Welling should play?

Comment by CBWBDK1 – February 3, 2014 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am now so excited about this spin off, I can hardly stand it. “Oh, boy!” Scott Bakula. What a wonderful choice!

Comment by Darlene – February 3, 2014 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I see what you did there. Love me some Scott Bakula.

Comment by Znachki – February 3, 2014 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • oh really, you see that he posted a quote from bakulas most famous show in quotation marks, i would have been more surprised if you hadnt seen it.

Comment by Alan – February 3, 2014 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m very happy and excited that Scott Bakula is going to be on NCIS:New Orleans.

Comment by Andrew Hass – February 3, 2014 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sounds like a great start to what should be an excellent third prong in the franchies.

Comment by David G. Stern – February 3, 2014 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this! Bakula has the kind gravitas to lead an NCIS team, but is not without a sense of humor, either (kinda like Mark Harmon…). NCIS Special Agent Pride just became infinitely more interesting with Bakula’s casting.

Comment by Sheldon W. – February 3, 2014 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We hope to be chosen TOM WELLING! TOM would be perfect for the role of Agent LaSalle!..

Comment by margot – February 3, 2014 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait…I didn’t see a character description for the qwerky, IT and/or Lab expert who wears odd clothes and dies her hair weird colors. I thought every CBS crime show had to have one of those.

Comment by Dav – February 3, 2014 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bakula are you that broke that you have to go with this overused franchise?, I really hope CBS doesn’t bring this past pilot!

Comment by DavidSask – February 3, 2014 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FLOVE! me some Scott Bakula. I’ve never seen NCIS but this is definitely a reason to give this one a look. Now just get Gale Harold back on the small screen on a regular basis and life will be v. v. good.

Comment by gonzosgirrl (@gonzosgirrl) – February 3, 2014 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes Tom Welling is perfect for the role ….. fingers crossed. I hope that our dream come true. Tom would be a fresh and original, you have to give more room for new players! Tom in Parkland was fantastic!

Comment by sara – February 3, 2014 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Christian Kane as LaSalle and Beth Riesgraf as Dr Wade. :) Really would like to see Beth Riesgraf back on TV.

Comment by AFan – February 3, 2014 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have always loved Scott Bakula. He is an awesome actor,and really easy on the eyes.
    Yay yay

Comment by Terry – February 3, 2014 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really want to be able to watch this show too so no to Tom Welling can not stand either him or Smallville.

Comment by Miriam Maurer – February 3, 2014 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never thought of him! What a great choice! Loved him in Quantum Leap.

Comment by prish – February 3, 2014 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Scott Bakula will do GREAT in this role as an agent in New Orleans!! I had a hard time “getting into” the characters of NCIS:LA. Hope this one isn’t the same way!! Nothing compares to the original though!!! Love Mark Harmon!! Still miss Ziva because her presence was a key part to the chemistry; but still trying to understand ! If we could just get a straight story on why she is no longer on the show, it would be better in trying to adjust to the new girl. I, for one, am not feeling the chemistry of bishop yet!

Comment by karen – February 3, 2014 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • here is your straight story, the same straight story thats been said hundreds of times since she left: she wanted to leave the show so they let her go. oh and we cant forget how she screwed up plans for the start of the season by leaving her decision to the last minute, forcing the writers to scramble around for a last minute fix to get her out.

Comment by Alan – February 3, 2014 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well put Alan, that is exactly the reason she left!! Also let us not forget how Ziva/Cote left w/o a word to all her fans. IMO that is exactly what the writers get for making “Ziva” the central point of many episodes & ripping the “balls” off all the men. Amen!!!

Comment by Angie – February 3, 2014 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Ziva is okay but she was written to make men look weak and stupid like so many tough women on television today. Can we say overkill? Wait, are we supposed to congradulate Scott Bakula?

Comment by lll – February 4, 2014 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He is Hot.

Comment by april-ann – February 3, 2014 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so excited about this news. I think he’ll be perfect for the role and someone we can all love as much as we love Gibbs at NCIS. I hope they choose the rest of the cast as wisely and check them for chemistry with his character so that they don’t get a disjointed mess like the other NCIS spinoff that didn’t make it last year.

I am now in a very happy place.

Comment by bj – February 3, 2014 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was between the ages of 8-12 when Quantum Leap was on tv…not exactly a television show for kids but I loved Quantum Leap! Great casting for NOLA! I hope this NCIS can stack up to the original. I love NCIS and my Gibbs!

Comment by Rae – February 3, 2014 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like this choice!

Comment by Lorie – February 3, 2014 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it gets picked up
    but don’t forget red didn’t get picked up

Comment by weep – February 3, 2014 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damien Lewis sounds perfect for Agent Brody.

Comment by ben – February 3, 2014 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Damien Lewis sounds perfect for a “30something female wielding an Ivy League mind and “Grace Kelly-like class, pomp and circumstance?”

Comment by Jane – February 3, 2014 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yep.

Comment by ben – February 3, 2014 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Nobody said the character isn’t transgender.

Comment by Hannah – February 4, 2014 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent choice!

Comment by Danna – February 3, 2014 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with most of the posts, I think Scott Bakula would be great, hopefully they will get a cast that gels with Bakula’s character & there will be a lot of chemistry.

Comment by Angie – February 3, 2014 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If it’s going to take place in New Orleans, can they PLEASE send someone to actually learn a New Orleans accent? New Orleanians DO NOT speak with a Southern drawl. If you want to hear what most New Orleanians sound like, listen to Harry Connick, Jr.

Comment by mopapa – February 3, 2014 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I heard that they are going to do some shooting in New Orleans. If they shoot the whole show there–Louisiana has a film and television tax credit–they should be able to get good solid local actors for guest appearances. If they NYPD Blue/CSI/CSI: NY it and show up a couple of times a year, that won’t happen. I’m less concerned about the cast not having New Orleans accents as they may not be locals, but the weekly guests playing locals who sound like they are from Fresno or Phoenix will make me cringe as they do on Castle and Riizzoli and Isles not to mention every New York sitcom filmed in LA.

Comment by Marc – February 3, 2014 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Give me some Cajun Bakula. OH, BOY!

Comment by Terrie C – February 7, 2014 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES, YES, YES, A great choice! Scott is such a versatile actor he’d be great in the part!

Comment by ru – February 3, 2014 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CBS just loves repeating itself. How dull. Scott Bakula deserves better.

Comment by Liz – February 3, 2014 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Suddenly, I’m interested in this show…

Comment by A – February 3, 2014 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY! Love Scott Bakula! I’ve already been looking forward to the spin off…now I REALLY can’t wait. :-)

Comment by tejas – February 3, 2014 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes please tom Welling !!!!!

Comment by marika – February 3, 2014 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love him! great casting!

Comment by rk535 – February 3, 2014 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fantastic actor, great human being, legendary roles (Quantum Leap, Star Trek Enterprise, CHUCK) – suddenly very interested in NOLA!

Comment by Ben – February 3, 2014 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He was Captain Archer in Star Trek: Enterprise, and he did a *very* fine job, too. I think he’ll be *great* as Pride. :-)

Comment by tejasjulia – February 3, 2014 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another good choice would be Josh Stewart (JJ’s husband from Criminal Minds)

Comment by bav – February 3, 2014 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmmm, I’m feeling fairly conflicted here. I really hate those NCIS shows, but I have been madly in love with Scott Bakula since Quantum Leap first premiered in 1989, so hmmm…not sure if I should watch or not. I do need something to replace the Sergeant Brody-sized hole in my heart.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – February 3, 2014 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh I will definitely watch this! Must watch Scott Bakula.

Comment by bobbie – February 3, 2014 09:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tom Welling is perfect for the role: muscular, charismatic and beautiful! So Tom will leave L.A. too many women around him and in his bed.

Comment by monica moss – February 4, 2014 12:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very excited for this. Still love both NCIS series, and I Love Scott Bakula! So, a win-win!

Comment by Vanny – February 4, 2014 03:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can his character get a better last name?

Comment by David – February 4, 2014 06:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post