Scoop: NCIS: New Orleans Pilot Adds Sons of Anarchy's CCH Pounder, JAG Alum

NCIS New Orleans CastingThe NCIS: New Orleans team is quickly populating.

On the heels of Scott Bakula joining CBS’ spin-off pilot as team leader Agent Pride, Sons of Anarchy D.A./onetime Shield captain CCH Pounder and JAG alum Zoe McLellan have been added to the cast.

Pounder will play Dr. Wade, the Jefferson Parish Medical Examiner, who is described as being “as eccentric as she is smart,” “worldly, intuitive and incredibly connected to Louisiana.” (Though this pilot will be shot well before Sons starts production on its final season, Pounder may have some schedule-juggling to do if it goes to series.)

McLellan meanwhile has landed the role of Special Agent Brody, a Midwestern transplant who comes to New Orleans looking for a fresh start and a safe haven to heal old wounds. As such, she is the show’s crawfish-out-of-water.

RELATED | Meet the Agents of NCIS: New Orleans — Plus a Few Casting Suggestions

Still to be cast for the pilot — which is being exec-produced by NCIS boss Gary Glasberg and star Mark Harmon, and will air as a springtime NCIS two-parter — is Agent LaSalle, a “muscular,” “devilish” and “charming” 30something former Sheriff’s deputy, raised in Louisiana.

A four-time Emmy nominee, Pounder’s other TV credits include Warehouse 13, ER and The X-Files. McLellan’s resume — in addition to her run as JAG P.O. Jennifer Coates — includes Dirty Sexy Money, The Mentalist, Royal Pains and House.

1. Playhouse says:

Wasn’t she actually on JAG, NCIS’ progenitor, for a little while?

2. Kristian says:

Not to mentioned She was PO Coates on JAG.

3. Barbie says:

Now if we could have Traylor Howard…

4. tejas says:

Oh, she was great! I can’t wait to see how she fares. I think she and Bakula will work well together.

5. Joni says:

Wow! Two great casings in one day! Wasn’t she Bud’s admin when he was “Lawyer Afloat”? I seem to remember Harriet being jealous that his Yeoman was a woman.

6. JC says:

No, not crazy about this – I’m sorry. :( Of all the actresses out there, they choose someone from JAG? I know most people nowadays don’t even associate JAG with NCIS or know that they’re in the same universe, but I do, and I still get irritated when actors that played major characters on that show turn up as completely different characters in the NCIS world. (Don’t even get me started on Steven Culp showing up on NCIS as a character not named Clayton Webb.) And she wasn’t just recurring either – if I’m not mistaken she was part of the main cast for the last couple of seasons. I don’t know. Maybe her character will be different enough that I won’t be watching her and wondering why Jennifer Coates transferred to NCIS, but I kind of doubt it right now.

• Pat says:

Agreed, soooo stupid how they reuse main actors and give them new characters. Then they go and confuse things further by bringing JAG characters into NCIS, Chegwidden last year. It makes no sense what so ever.Steven Culp is there playing a new character but a person he had tons of dealings with on JAG is there playing the same character, not to mention the use of Bud’s brother as a different character and yet Bud was on there too. Dumb!

• Evenmoor says:

Haha, you’re forgetting Terry O’Quinn, too! He played the CAG on “JAG”, Colonel Ryan on “NCIS”, and Joe White on “Hawaii Five-0″! Not to mention other guest stars who have popped up on both in different roles.

Really, I’m not going to complain about reusing actors. (It used to be a lot more common a few decades ago.) Besides, both “JAG” and “NCIS” have a lot of seasons behind them, and I’d be surprised if this sort of thing didn’t come up at all.

• JC says:

Well, I know it doesn’t bother a lot of people, and if it’s people in minor roles or guest stars, it doesn’t bother me either. But when you start talking about main cast or major recurring cast, yeah I do start getting irritated. It starts feeling like they’re trying to divorce themselves from their parent show, and for someone who was a huge fan of said show, it’s just annoying. But it’s probably just me.
          I’d actually forgotten about Terry O’Quinn showing up on NCIS. His appearance on Hawaii Five-0 doesn’t bother me though, because in spite of the crossovers awhile back, they’re not really part of the same universe. I did spot Scott Lawrence (Sturgis) awhile back though. They better not ever bring on David James Elliott or Catherine Bell if they’re not playing characters named Harmon Rabb or Sarah MacKenzie.

• Evenmoor says:

Fair enough; I can appreciate where you’re coming from on this. And I definitely agree with you about David James Elliott and Catherine Bell.

• Pat says:

Yeah the one off guest stars don’t annoy, as shows that run for as long as Jag and NCIS did use the same guest stars in different seasons, JAG did it. Heck shows like 24 used the same actors as main characters, Tony Todd, so it is done on the same show too. But main characters do just irk me as well.

• TMS says:

It is interesting. I love NCIS and I love JAG. I, too, wish that we could see more crossover between the two series. I have been told the main reason more shows don’t do that is that licensing prevents much of that from happening. There are copyright laws, etc. That’s why on many of the old Star Trek shows (TNG, DS9, etc.), there was not much crossover among characters. I may be wrong about that. I fully agree that series could become much more enticing to viewers if crossovers were more prevalent.

Anyway, recently I have been watching old JAG episodes on DVD, and it occurs to me that I am bugged by the fact that Harm and Mac’s investigations seem to step on the toes of what I have come to expect as NCIS investigations. And every time JAG needs a medical examiner, I halfway expect – and would be pleasantly surprised – to see Ducky show up at a crime scene!

It would be fantastic to see the McLellan character as Jennifer Coates (life after JAG) working as an NCIS agent.

• David G. Stern says:

After all they are called ACTORS!

• James Gold says:

Yes and thank God it happens. Actors need the work we play different roles all the time.
            You do your best and hope you get a call so the bills get paid.

• Rob says:

There’s nothing worse than an actor bored with a role. Hell-ish to live with. I was married to one. At least now we’re friendly ;-)

• Grace says:

Sean Murray/McGee played Danny Walden, the bratty college son of Admiral Chegwidden’s love interest, a Dr. Walden for a few episodes on JAG. I couldn’t believe I how young he looked. I like JAG now more than in when I was young, so I’d like seeing characters and/or stars from the show where NCIS started. So far this new NCIS cast looks great…Tom Welling would be a great cast addition!

• Doug H says:

I guess you people would not have liked TV in the 50’s, 60’s & 70’s when the same actor would appear as many different characters on the same show… TV back then moved actors around even changing main actors in the middle of shows ( 2 Darrins and 2 John-Boys) Today’s
      TV watchers wouldn’t stand for it!!! On NCIS there has been very little Jag throwback once it got going… There was the episode when the Admiral AJ showed up playing that character and Tony didn’t remember but Gibbs did…

• Kathy says:

Thank you! This drives me absolutely insane. Hello, TPTB — fans watch and notice casting decisions. Maybe back in the 1960s, it wasn’t as much of an issue (witness several actors playing different roles on Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea in as many as 4 episodes), but since the early 80s, with the proliferation of VCRs, casting departments should have become more savvy. NCIS does this, CSI does this, the L&O franchise does/did this — and we fans shake our heads in disbelief.

• Alan says:

yes because there is an infinite number of actors out there for them to use. honestly the fact that they still find anyone new to the franchise at this stage is incredible to me.

7. would have been much cooler if she played the same role as in JAG.

8. Don J says:

I like Zoe. She was good playing Peter Krause’s wife on DSM.

9. lll says:

CCH Pounder is a good addition to NCIS spinoff.

10. Keith says:

Seriously, did they not look at Diane Neal for this spinoff? The last time she was on NCIS as Borin, Gibbs all but practically offer her a job and she sort of turned it down. Why not go with someone the fans love and want back? Since the PTB at SVU don’t see fit to bring Novak back, this would be the way to go.

11. BJ says:

As if I wasn’t already over the moon about Scott Bakula, CCH Pounder too? This is going to be a blockbuster cast! Whoever has the second male lead role had better be very good, this caliber of actors will have them hopping!

12. Joni says:

Another great choice. CCH Pounder is a fantastic actor. I like the idea of having a woman M.E.
    One more (I think) to go. Will we get it before midnight (Eastern time)?

13. Mare says:

Damn. Jensen Ackles would be PERFECT for Agent LaSalle!

14. Lore says:

I mont sure about Zoe, but CCH Pounder, i just saw the photo and say, it is good to have her in this show, now we have to cross our fingers, i want Tom Welling back :)

15. shuayb says:

Actually for LaSalle Tom Welling would have been perfect. I hope they can get him. He’d be perfect….

16. d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

I very much dislike Ncis. I am not a fan of LA either but I find that one watchable. However with Scott Backula and CCH Pounder I will definitely be checking this out.

17. abz says:

So, is she no longer going to be on Sons of Anarchy?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Paragraph 3, Line 2: “(Though this pilot will be shot well before Sons starts production on its final season, Pounder may have some schedule-juggling to do if it goes to series.)”

18. Joe says:

I really hope they cast Tom Welling as Agent LaSalle. He would be absolutely perfect in the role.

19. xx says:

Mrs. Frederic! We love you!

20. MIKE says:

Still wishing for WELLING

21. JC says:

Yay for Mrs. Frederick! CCH Pounder is awesome – that’s one casting I can wholeheartedly endorse. And no offense to Scott Bakula, but may I suggest he and Pounder switch roles? Think about it. ;)

22. Drew says:

Logan St. Claire!!! She’s eeeeeeevil!

Great, now I wish this was a Quantum Leap/Sliders spinoff with Bakula and McLellan. Imagine a series where they travel through time AND across dimensions.

23. Mika02 says:

Dang I’m going to have to watch this.

24. No matter what business you are in, but especially
    of you deal with people who are under stress and dealing with problems, sooner or later you will bump into somebody who is not happy,
    and, if you are not pro-active about your proper name and your business reputation, what your enemies have to say
    is what people will see when they Google you. After they have gone
    bankrupt, and it is with the advice along with the quality Council that will
    be revolving around the use of such bankruptcy attorney that you will be able to get the best possible results that will be fun
    for you. If you have friends who have been through bankruptcy in their business before or a lawyer you have worked with in other
    fields of law, you can ask them to give you a referral to a good business bankruptcy lawyer.

25. Always ensure your bankruptcy attorney is up to date and aware of all the factors concerning your situation, for
    example if you are party to a lawsuit, or if there is the potential for a foreclosure on your house.

Many bankruptcy lawyers claim to file your case for $700 or less, or will quote unrealistically low fees that might sound
    attractive – but they don’t let you know that their initial quote doesn’t include the $306 court filing fee.
    The three most important duties that any good lawyer must fight for in court are: Bring upon justice, Bring upon the end
    of a conflict and restoring some sense of balance between the plaintiff and defendant.

26. Andrew Hass says:

I’m happy with the 2 castings.It should be interesting to have a woman medical examiner.As for CCH Pounder being on JAG no offense to anyone but i think NCIS has made most people forget that it was a spinoff from that show.

27. Jessica says:

Actor Davi Jay for LaSalle! He was on TREME and True Detectives and has that authentic New Orleans charm.

28. Rob says:

I’m realling digging these choices. Bring on # 4.

29. born to watch says:

CCH Pounder is watchable on anything! Loved her on Revenge.

30. John NYC says:

Liker her in J.A.G., liked her in Warehouse 13.

Good for the show!

31. Alan says:

cch pounder brings class to everything she appears in, i still wish she was cast as amanda waller in arrow but this will do fine.

32. megan says:

Yes i want Tom Welling!!!

33. nola says:

Yes Tom Welling is perfect! but Tom will not be chosen because it has no power of friends, Tom is not a pimp!

34. Gerald says:

Tom Welling would be perfect for LaSalle. I’d watch if he is in it. Pounder and Bakula are good too.

35. jj says:

Not too excited about these 2 additions but I will give it a chance. I will give any show with Bakula a chance.

36. Nikki Lenzt says:

I wish they were doing a spin-off with the Diane Neal’s character, Agent Borin, of the Coast Guard.

37. telltale says:

I was hoping Regina King would get cast. Damn, Damn, Damn!

38. Karen says:

I think Christian Kane would be great as Agent LaSalle!!!

39. billy ray says:

These actors have ZERO appeal for me.

40. Aly says:

Tom Welling would be nice for LaSalle. I like the first three they did so far!

41. terry p says:

zoe should be the new ziva she was so good

42. George says:

NCIS New Orleans is a bad idea. this show will tank and didn’t hold my interest on NCIS