Philip Seymour Hoffman Was 'A Beautiful Person in a Hideous World,' Says Showtime Series Boss

Philip Seymour Hoffman Dead at 46The man who was to bring Academy Award winner Philip Seymour Hoffman to series regular television — by way of the new Showtime comedy Happyish — has shared his thoughts on the actor’s tragic passing at age 46.

“This planet is no damned place to have a heart, and Phil had the biggest, brokenest heart of anyone I have ever met,” Happyish creator/executive producer Shalom Auslander said in a statement. “He was a beautiful person in a hideous world. Great actor, too.”

RELATED | Philip Seymour Hoffman Found Dead at 46, Was to Headline New Showtime Comedy

Happyish was to star Hoffman as an ad man who is sent adrift when his ad agency is taken over. Though a trailer had yet to be released wide, a preview reel shown last month at the Television Critics Association winter press tour played extremely well, almost immediately evoking Emmy buzz for the actor (who netted his first nod in 2005, for the miniseries Empire Falls).

A statement from his would-be home Showtime hailed Hoffman as “one of our generation’s finest and most brilliant actors… It was a great privilege and pleasure to work with him and we are all absolutely devastated by this sudden loss.”

Also on Monday, filmmaker Cameron Crowe shared this anecdote from the filming of Almost Famous, as tribute to Hoffman’s “genius.”

Hoffman had thus far only shot the pilot for Showtime’s Happyish, which might have premiered as early as this summer. The comedy’s fate is now TBD.

A recovering drug addicting for more than two decades, Hoffman was found on Sunday at an apartment in Greenwich Village, dead from an apparent drug overdose with a needle in his arm and baggies of what appeared to be heroin nearby.

1. Teag says:

I hope they still premiere the pilot. I’d love to see what he did.

2. Me says:

My heart goes out to his family and friends. Having a loved one taken from you in a horrible way leaves pain that stays with you.
    However, why are stars always blaming the rest of the world when one of their own dies from drugs or stupidity? Why can’t they blame the culture they live in that makes drugs, affairs, and general stupidity ok? I am sure he had a big heart, but others who see injustice try to help right the wrongs.
    They world will miss his talent, those close to him will miss him, let’s leave it at that and grieve.

• ben says:

Yeah, I don’t get blaming the world, either. Or, needing to attribute blame at all, for that matter.

• Kate says:

I mourn the passing of this gifted person and all he could have achieved in his life. But he made the choice to do drugs. He had beautiful children, a lucrative career and the promise of so much creativity in his future and he chose to shoot heroin. Respectfully, this wasn’t the fault of “the world.” My heart goes out to his family and children

3. Scott says:

I’m sorry but we all have to put up with the same hideous world and most of us don’t take drugs and kill themselves. Possibly because we can’t afford the drugs in the first place. I have zero tolerance for druggies and I don’t care who they are or how talented they might have been.

4. melz says:

While I understand the sentiments of the previous posts… I also understand a little about addiction…& it is not a choice…it is a sad thing that this great actor’s life ended in such a tragic way when he had so many positive things in his life…it is not the “worlds” fault…we all live in the same harsh world & many of us with fewer blessings than Philip…addiction does not have or respect financial means or family supports, it doesn’t discriminate by age, intelligence, sex, race or anything else…it is just sad that a great actor is gone before his time and my condolences go out to his family & loved ones.

• Mary says:

I am not sure I agree with it being not a choice, once hooked maybe but he choose to take the first step and start in the first place. My heart goes out to his family, it is such a waste because he was a talented actor.

5. Paul says:

This is very sad, I really liked him RIP . But drugs is a big problem in Hollywood, maybe networks should be tougher with actors that use., seems they look to another side until the worse happens. So many names, Cory Monteith from Glee, Eric Dane from Greys Anatomy, Alex O’ Loughin from Hawaii five 0 , Charlee sheen…..

6. Cyn Mackley says:

He was a great actor and apparently a kind person. But he didn’t die from being a beautiful person, he died from putting heroin in his veins.

7. Pat says:

Mr. Auslander describe this world as being hideous. Well I live in this same world and guess what, I do not do drugs. Mr. Seymour chose to do these drugs without a gun held to his head. He had plenty of money to stay in rehab until he was totally clean and he had the resources to have help upon leaving rehab,something most addicts do not have. He left this world leaving behind a grieving family and my thoughts and prayers go out to them. It was a senseless and cruel act to have inflicted on his family, especially his children.

8. RS says:

Heartfelt condolences to the family. But I feel no loss for another druggie being off the streets.