Melissa McCarthy Hosts Saturday Night Live: Watch Video of the Best and Worst Sketches

Without going anywhere near those “third time’s a charm” clichés, it’s safe to say that Melissa McCarthy’s return engagement as Saturday Night Live host carried the burden of great expectations.

After all, the Mike & Molly star’s first two outings were widely lauded, and with her third outing landing on Super Bowl weekend – not to mention coinciding with Seth Meyers’ final “Weekend Update” report — the heat (no pun intended) was definitely on.

So, while the night might ultimately be remembered more for Meyers’ emotional departure than for the mixed bag of skits starring McCarthy, let’s get down to the business of recounting the best and worst of ‘em:

BEST: SETH MEYERS SAYS GOODBYE
If you were in denial that Meyers, who takes over NBC’s Late Night later this month, was anchoring his final “Weekend Update,” a bevy of farewell guest stars drove the point home. We had Amy Poehler, Andy Samberg, Bill Hader (as Stefon!) and even Fred Armisen’s last-second walk-on as former New York Governor David Paterson to help make this the (predictably) emotional highlight of the night. “This is the job I always wanted, and I had the best time,” concluded a tearful Meyers. The whole segment seemed a tad rushed and over too quickly, but laughs obviously took a back seat to sentiment here.

BEST: SHEILA KELLY
Playing wickedly off New York Rep. Michael Grimm’s recent high-profile balcony threat to a television reporter, McCarthy stepped effortlessly into the role of a tough-talking Delaware congresswoman. “You’re not a man. You’re a little baby … and I am going to put you in a stroller, and buckle you up and throw you down a flight of stairs,” she threatened, before concluding, “I am freshman Congressman Sheila Kelly and I am invincible!”

HONORABLE MENTION: CVS VALENTINE’S DAY
“Oh, mother, it’s Valentine’s Day?!” Truth be told, hasn’t almost everyone been out shopping for toilet paper only to have such a dreaded realization? This faux CVS commercial reminded us of  ‘exquisite gifts’ such as CVS Brand Sex Dice (“ooh, tickle face”), old Christmas stockings (80% off!) and salsa (mild), ready to make your lover’s day oh-so-memorable.

HONORABLE MENTION: GUESS THAT PHRASE
Worth a look for McCarthy’s delightful (though too short and ‘not a common phrase’) line of the night: “Pass the mash!”

WORST: OPENING MONOLOGUE
Somehow the SNL writers felt hooking McCarthy and Bobby Moynihan up to some high wires and launching them into a Matrix-style kung fu wireworks battle would be the best use of everyone’s talents. Ummm, no.

WORST: BEST SUMMER OF MY LIFE
How’s this for laziness? Let’s put McCarthy in a skit, make her eat relentlessly (and get BBQ sauce all over her face ) during some random voiceover narrative, and then … that’s basically it! Belly laughs (obviously) not included.

Now it’s your turn! What did you think of McCarthy as SNL host? Grade the episode in the poll below, then sound off in the comments!

1. Brendan says:

Mitch, you are doing a hell of a lot better than Matt… all of your picks are SPOT ON!

2. Houman says:

28 Reasons was the highlight for me.

3. Jill says:

Mccarthy is better than the caricatures she repeatedly plays. She’s becoming a female Chris Farley and it’s sad.

• dude says:

She can only play what’s written for her. They know she’s funny in loud, brash characters so they beat her to death with them. I’d love to see her play someone who actually has it together yet manages to still be funny.

• jrzygrl says:

I still love her as Sookie on Gilmore Girls. She was sweet and charming and still funny. Much better than the roles they’re writing for her now.

4. telltale says:

There was a lot of awkwardness in each skit she was in.

5. Tran 2.0 says:

I give the Melissa McCarthy episode of SNL a B. She was great the last time Melissa hosted back in April 2013 which was last season but her third time as host prove nothing. Best sketch of the night in my opinion was 28 Reasons which was a homage to Black History Month and kudos to Jay Pharoah once again for adding yet another hilarious Digital Short to his resume. The real highlight was Seth Meyers’ farewell not only Weekend Update but for the show which brought back his former Update co-anchor Amy Poehler and the return of STEFON!! Best of luck hosting Late Night Seth. Can’t wait when SNL returns March 1st with the debut of Colin Jost.

6. DJ says:

The entire show was horrible…Melissa had nothing to work with. The writing was TERRIBLE. Not one laugh in the entire 90 minutes..fire the writers!

7. knd says:

She plays the same character in every skit.
    On the plus side I got me some Stefon!!!

8. Paul says:

Apart from the cold open, I thought last night’s show was humming along nicely enough until the museum sketch. It was so awkward and unfunny it seemed to rattle everyone for the awkward and unfunny sketches that came after it.

PLEASE FIRE KYLE MOONEY.

• Tran 2.0 says:

Don’t know if SNL should fire Kyle Mooney but the new guys still needs more screen time. If I was Lorne Michaels or someone else, I should fire Mike O’Brien. He doesn’t get more screen time than the rest of the featured players this season and of course he’s still dating Cecily Strong which I didn’t see it coming.

• EJ says:

Kyle Mooney has GOT TO GO. He’s a very bad fit for this show. I actually think the only one from this freshman group who should be back on March 1st is Beck Bennett.

• Paul says:

Agreed. Spare Beck Bennett, Noël Wells and Sasheer Zamata, oust the rest, and start over again in the fall. The cast is plenty big enough at present to ride out the rest of the current season without O’Brien, Milheiser and Mooney.

• David says:

And to show you what a non-entity Brooks Wheelan is, you didn’t even mention him!

• trf says:

And where is Sasheer Zamata?? She’s been seen in the digital shorts and an extra standing in the background so far. Obviously the writers have no clue for her. Sad.

• xx says:

Mooney is the absolute WORST. The awkward interview sketches- what the hell was the point of that? If they were trying to make fun of his awkwardness, it failed miserably and was just terrible. Worst SNL sketch since the last time they gave him one, basically.

9. cjeffery7 says:

the first half was good. everything behind weekend update was not so interesting.

10. Sandra says:

I love Melissa, but man, I found last night’s SNL painful to watch. I thought she did fine with the material they gave her, but that material was, for the most part, terrrible. Just terrible. I did enjoy the Sheila Kelly and Updates, but the rest…….. nuh uh. I found myself FF’ing thru most of the skits after 3 or 4 mins. So disappointed, but not in Melissa, in the writing. She, as usual, gave it her all.

11. DarkDefender says:

Yuhp, still love her.. Hope she hosts again.. But last night was more bad than good. Seth’s goodbye was way too rushed.. And I found Jimmy Fallon’s highlight reel show a lot funnier.
    ….
    The writers definitely phone this episode in… Too bad cause it had potential to be one of the best. Great host, beloved cast member goodbye and a decent musical act.

12. Jodi says:

Best sketch: Seth Meyers send off.
    Honorable mention: CVS valentines day.
    Worst sketch: everything else.

13. toia says:

The problem is that they tend to write the same character for McCarthy, at least she is a pro and gives it her all. But let’s not act like she didn’t make it big for playing that kind of role, she has been around for a while she didn’t make a splash being in Gilmore Girls it was bridesmaids that allowed her to host SNL. The writers are going to write baffonish characters for her it’s unfortunate but true.

Other than the CVS skit and the 28 reasons short the show was short on laughs. The Weekend Update goodbye was nice but rushed . I have been saying this for a while now the writers room needs a clear out, nothing is working well.

• benis says:

they “tend to write one character for mcarthy” because she can only play one character. the loud fat annoying person is all she has going for her in terms of comedy. and comparing her to farley is sacrilegious. FOR SHAME!

14. lesliemac23 says:

Best of the night was def the Black History Month skit – can’t get that hook out of my head!

15. LoloCurray says:

There was also a lack of Kate McKinnon who really is one of the strongest in the cast.

16. Henry says:

Check out the Urban Dictionary for the definition of “Pass the Mash”. You will not view that skit the same way again.

17. Pete says:

Loved the Guess That Phrase sketch. Was Melissa playing the same character who hilariously taste tested Hidden Valley Ranch on her first outing as host? And i loved Beck Bennetts dead pan delivery in this sketch. Looks like SNL has found a new go to TV game show host.

18. This design is incredible! You most certainly know how to keep a reader amused.

Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved
    to start my own blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Wonderful job.

I really loved what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it.

Too cool!

19. I absolutely love your site.. Pleasant colors & theme.
    Did you build this amazing site yourself? Please reply back as I’m trying to create my very own website and want to
    learn where you got this from or just what the theme is
    named. Cheers!

20. Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as
    though you relied on the video to make your point. You clearly know what youre talking about, why throw away
    your intelligence on just posting videos to your weblog when you could be giving us something informative to read?