Bruno Mars' Super Bowl XLVIII Halftime Show: What Did You Think? Take Our Poll!

Bruno Mars Super Bowl HalftimeIn the words of Bruno Mars himself: “Oh yeah yeah. Oh yeah yeah yeah yeah. HOOH-UH!

After diva extravaganzas — Madonna and Beyoncé, to be specific — the last two years, the pop-soul superstar brought a decidedly more organic musical vibe to the Super Bowl XLVIII Halftime Show, with special guests the Red Hot Chili Peppers contributing to the hook-tastic proceedings.

RELATED | Super Bowl 2014: Reviewing the Commercials (From the 1st Half) — Plus: Rewatch Them Here!

Out: Aggressive backing tracks, armies of dancers and wardrobe malfunctions (or things that might be mistaken for ‘em). In: Bruno and his rockin’, raucous band (in typical horn-line formation — and jaunty gold jackets) doing the damn thing as he ripped through a medley of hits that — if I’m being honest — could’ve gone on for another 10-15 minutes without complaint from most (aside from the truly, deeply football fanatical).

Things opened with a fun, fascinating juxtaposition — a cute children’s chorus serving up a snippet of “Billionaire,” followed by a closeup shot of Mars at the drums — completely going off with an abandon you might not expect from a guy about to launch into a high-octane mini concert in front of a massive global audience.

After that, a spectacular one-two-three punch of “Locked Out of Heaven,” “Treasure” and “Runaway Baby” — finished off with Mars giving us his best “is the dude moving on ice?” James Brown-esque dance breakdown. The subsequent jam session served as the perfect place to pause for a Red Hot Chili Peppers interlude — as a bizarrely kneesock-clad Anthony Kiedis & Co. bounced like kids on trampolines for the iconic “Give It Away.” Yep, they’ve still got it!

The final shift in tone? A touching montage of overseas U.S. military personnel sending dedications to family, friends and loved ones back home, as Mars launched into a subdued cover of “Just the Way You Are.” Were the ensuing fireworks a little over the top? Um, of course not! It’s the damn Super Bowl. And the halftime show, if you’ll forgive me a moment of cheesiness, was amazing — just the way it was.

But that’s just my take. What did you think of Bruno Mars’ halftime show? Take the poll below, then expand on your thoughts in the comments!

1. Linds says:

Who voted fail?

2. wrstlgirl says:

Friggin awesome!!

3. Rachel says:

RHCP seemed out of place. I would have enjoyed them more if they did Dani California.

4. Ashley says:

It was nice, clean cut, and fun. I was hoping when I heard RHCP were going to be the special guests, that they’d pull out Higher Ground. That was so much better. I was just headbanging despite my sinus cold. Great halftime show. Really enjoyed it.

5. Jennifer J says:

whoever gave that halftime show an F needs to have a hearing test.

• canadian ninja says:

I gave it a B but let’s be honest it’s not the music that sells the halftime show. The sheer volume of backing tracks is mind boggling. But – Bruno looked sharp, he had his moves and there were some cool visual moments.

If the Chlli Peppers had done Taste the Pain it would have been an A.

6. Jenny says:

Better than I expected.

7. Timmy says:

I thought he was incredible. He’s always been an amazing live performer, and tonight was no exception. My only complaint is that I wish it had lasted way longer.

8. TaMara says:

Again! Again! That was just…wow.

9. Melissa says:

Best half time show in a while. Way to rock it Bruno

10. CA says:

I want to be entertained by the half time show and I was. Bruno Mars is a consummate entertainer…fun, energetic, and seemed to really enjoy being there.And the man can SING. I am not a Chili Peppers fan but enjoyed their interlude as well.

I am a football fan…but since very little of it is being played tonight, I would take another performance from Bruno!!

11. tp says:

Loved it! He never disappoints.

12. Metallicangel1 says:

Bruno totally brought it tonight. RHCP so not needed. #BrunoMars #halftimeshow

13. Rachel says:

Hands down the best halftime performance in a long time!

• Mark says:

Seriously? I don’t get these positive reviews did u watch it with ur eyes closed and hands over ur ears?

• gillie says:

He is a real performance, its fun to watch him perform, he can sing high notes and no faking voice. He is truly an excellent performer. I loved it.

14. chris says:

RHCP was a pointless addition and the set itself seemed shorter than usual. Bruno could’ve done it all himself w/o having to deal with a weird tone shift. He was incredible as usual.

15. Mark says:

Um did i watch the same halftime show as the writer? That was horrible. It was like watching paint dry! Bruno had zero stage prescence and when he appeared with the backup dancers I couldn’t tell him apart from them. He seemed to be grateful when chili peppers arrived to take attention away from him. He seemed like a scared little boy lost in the crowd.

Black eyed peas was a hot mess a few years ago but at least it was train wreckingly fun. This was boring boring boring. They also should have ended on chili peppers the energy was sucked out of the stadium when Brunocame on again.

Again how can someone think that was good? I’m not even being glib I’m seriously confused how people could find entertainment in that. I’m watching w a huge group of people and most people either went on smoke breaks or were left scratching their heads on who the hell this person was. He does NOT have the crossover appeal to headline the freakin Super Bowl! Chili peppers killed it tho! Now THATS how u give a performance!!

So wasn’t the worst halftime show but definitely the most boring.

• Nkg says:

Agreed! Wow so bad! I couldn’t even tell Bruno apart from the other dancers he had no business performing tonight

• Ryan says:

They’re not backup dancers, they’re all incredibly skilled musicians who dance and sing when they aren’t playing their respective instruments. To each their own, but I LOVED it. I’ll take an amazing vocalist and skilled musicians over lip-syncing and strutting any day of the week.

• Nkg says:

Ya different strokes I just personally didn’t feel like he had any stage prescence at all. It didn’t seem like he was performing in front of te biggest audience in the world. I just fell flat for me until chili peppers came on

• Lisa says:

It was kind of blah. Mars just doesn’t have the catalogue of songs that get you pumped up. And the ending song did suck the life out of the room. Seemed liked an award show performance not the Super Bowl.

• MC says:

ITA, but at least the Seahawks killed it.

• C. Romero says:

This was talent at its best not hype, malfunction, or excessive flash simply great music– that has a wide appeal. He is in the top three with Beyonce, Bruno and Bruce

• Mark Williams says:

You are comparing this dude to Bruce!!!OMG! He was OK! Hes just another over hyped pop star! he can dance. It wasnt the Stones, Who, MJ, Springsteen, or 5or6 other Half Time shows! Im not really a pop music fan, so I didnt know his music. RHCP music has a wider appeal! They should have been the headliners in my opinion!

• Becky says:

Bruno was AMAZING! I was expecting more from the RHCPs. They were so disappointing. And I agree, could of watched Bruno for another 10/15 minutes. Incredible!

• Francine says:

Eh, different people like different things, that’s all. I don’t honestly know much about Bruno Mars, but I thought he did a pretty good job. He definitely had stage presence though, I’m kinda confused about that part of your comment though. To each their own I guess.

• C. Romero says:

What show were you watching? Bruno and his band are true performers… maybe not your taste but they can sing, dance, and the instrumentation was great … real showmen! For it to come over TV so well says a lot for Bruno and his group. It is a tough venue and they nailed it!

• Sean says:

I am normally not this self-righteous, but you are out of touch with reality fool. This half time show is definitely on the better side of many from recent years. RCHP were a fun add-in to the show, but even though they have seniority (and I do like RHCP more) Bruno Mars still killed it (for what him and his music is). Anyway, it sounds like you hear with your eyes. And your eyes prefer guys jumping around in their socks.

• RollinStone says:

Wow. I’ve never heard an assessment so far off, almost like you sound bitter and wanted to find something wrong because you’re a metal head or something. Bruno Mars is not in my wheelhouse. I haven’t bought any of his music….but I have to say I was totally impressed with his performance. The guy can sing AND the guy can entertain and work that stage. Great dance moves and footwork. Sang in key without autotune. I love the fact that he dressed the same as his band. It shows he doesn’t have some monster ego. And oh yes, really a scared little boy starting off playing drums in front of 100 million viewers and not missing a beat….on top of the rest of his performance. You just don’t want to like because he’s a bit bubblegum and appeals to a younger crowd….but I’ll tell you, as a 30 year veteran of the music industry….that was a great performance and that kid has chops. Don’t let your preconceived judgements get in your own way.

• Morgan says:

Bruno Mars was awesome and got me pumped. The Red Hot Chili Peppers are a great ROCK band and Bruno is POP! I love TRHCP, but I wanted Bruno back on stage quick. Everyone has the right to their opinion, but you need glasses and a high tech hearing aid.

16. QJC says:

It was “Treasure” instead of “Runaway Baby” Slezak. And the show itself was better than I expected!

17. Jenn says:

I was fairly certain Bruno Mars performed his hit “Treasure” before the RHCP, not “Runaway Baby”…

18. Anna says:

Wow that was so boring! I’m glad chili peppers showed up to teach this coked out kid how to PERFORM!

19. Eric7740 says:

A nice halftime show. It was nothing compared to the awesome shows of Madonna or Beyoncé but it was a good effort.

• C. Romero says:

Madonna… Really? She was all about props and glitz her voice was flat and her moves not great given her years in the game. Young energy like Bruno is exactly what the Super Bowl needed

• kyle says:

Bruno Mars = could have seen same thing in a video or SNL appearance, VS , Madonna = “put on a show”, incredible planning, choreography, artists, costumes, direction, etc. etc. etc.
        Besides Bruno Mars is stinky.

20. Dunno if I can quite call it perfect but it sure as hell didn’t suck. Really I think the only reason I went for a B instead of an A was just I’m not the biggest Bruno Mars fan.

21. Gvgspice says:

Loved Bruno! RHCP were terrible.

• Nkg says:

That’s funny I loved chili peppers and hated Bruno. To each is own I suppose but I thought Bruno was borrrrring

• Michael White says:

I agree, Bruno was classy and awesome and the RHCP just sucked, they were just out of place, didn’t belong there. Would have liked to heard more from Bruno!

22. Kaba says:

Just embarrassed Beyonce and Madonna. He was spectacular.

23. Carlos Alvarez says:

It was alright. Not the best halftime show ever cause I’ve seen better. Seemed too short and forgettable

24. Jenn says:

It was awesome but could have been longer!!

25. Lucy says:

Wow, what a bunch of haters! Bruno was awesome!! He wasn’t named Billboard artist of the year for nothing! He was also the most pirated. What does that mean? It means he has TONS of fans who appreciate his talent. I’ve seen him in concert so I can attest to his performance. My only complaint was that it was too damn short!

• Brooke says:

What? FYI, pirating someone’s music is the OPPOSITE of appreciating them. You don’t steal from someone to show how much you care. Especially when mp3 shops online have had both his albums for $5 at times.

• Amanda says:

That isn’t what she was saying, he is the most pirated artist BECAUSE he’s that good! You don’t steal bad music….granted people should pay for their music, The article stated that even though he was the most pirated artist in 2013, he still managed to sell a platinum album, which most pirated artists can’t do. He’s a good performer, yeah he didn’t have all of the “featured” artist like most Super Bowl shoes, but I think that’s what made him better, he didn’t need all of those people. I too just wish it was a tad bit longer.

26. Chris says:

“Who the hell is this guy???” Said most people in America LOL. I can hear the old football guys yelling where’s Springsteen??? What a weird bad choice. I like when chili peppers came in to own the show and save his a$$ lol!

27. TinLV says:

Bruno was awesome. What a voice he has.. and I see so much of earlier artists in him.. Micheal Jackson & James Brown are obvious influences. He is the best young male artist around right now. RHCP were lame.. getting too long in the tooth for that crap. And they looked even worse than usual.

28. Jj says:

Bruno was great. Still not sure why RHCP were performing with him. They are both good. It just seemed weird. All together a great show!!!!!!!

29. pjsmommy12 says:

Bruno Mars didn’t need any Chili Peppers to be spicy…sigh.

30. J says:

Are we not voting on RHCP because it’s obvious they were a massive FAIL? Wow, so bad.

31. Eliza says:

Tbh I am not into Bruno Mars at all but I think he did a great job.

32. imonetoremember says:

Bruno Mars was amazing. Why did they bring the RHCP? They were awful!

33. Tran 2.0 says:

Way better than Beyonce did last year. WAY TO GO BRUNO :-)

34. Mandy says:

I think there are better singers than Bruno, but they just don’t play them on the radio. Radio plays anything Bruno puts out, even mediocre songs, so they all become hits. If they would play other artists ad nauseum, they would get hits too. Nowadays success is totally controlled by the program directors. Radio stations are mostly owned by the same people so that is why you get all the same playlists. I find that in his songwriting, he copies a lot of other artists. For example, “Just the Way You Are” sounds just like Alicia Keys “Doesn’t Mean Anything” and “Locked Out of Heaven” sounds just like the Police. I don’t consider him the whole package either because he looks like a midget and he’s not too attractive.

• Amanda says:

He sounds like other artists because he most likely wrote or collaborated with them. He was a talented music writer and producer before he went and did his own stuff. So the fact that you recognized some his previous works is a compliment even when you’re trying to diss him…j/s

35. A. D. says:

Sucked sooo bad!

36. That wasn’t Bruno on the drums. It was his lookalike brother Eric Hernandez.

• Regina says:

That WAS Bruno on the drums at the very beginning. Later when he was singing, his brother Eric was in the background on drums, as he is his regular drummer. Eric doesn’t look much like Bruno at all. No one would confuse them for one another.

37. Denise Marie says:

Bruno Mars was great! I really enjoyed the show more than last year and only thing that could have been better is if it had been longer! Way to go Bruno!

38. Thesmurph says:

Think reviewers must state age and sex! To me a 40+ male, this strange dancer show kid with no real talent other than dancer shuffle feet style and definitely no singing power voice was bad bad bad! And the image???? Definitely a product of engineered current music scene! Reviewers must also state if they are also a fan of Justin Bieber for us to understand writings here! Not big RHCP fan but they gad stage presence to save some face to organ users!

• Michael White says:

50 male and alive, I can’t stand Justin Bieber, but for a change we had a little class on stage,Bruno of coarse not the RHCP’s man they sucked. Oh yea and I’m also married and very strait.

39. Gianni says:

Love Bruno! He is an awesome performer and has amazing talent but is it me or did sound sucked?!? I was so disappointed because I could not hear him! :(

• Britt says:

Yea the music was louder than his vocals which sucked, but most concerts are like that. I loved Bruno Mars and didn’t care for the RHCP. I don’t think Bruno needed their help. Plus I loved the fireworks!!!!! The game and commercials were very underwhelming though.

40. MSJ4321 says:

He was SO good. And honestly, how can anyone not love him? Every single demographic at our party loved him so I think he was a great choice. I LOVE me some Chili Peppers and am always happy to see them more, but I liked the show.

41. ScorpionGlow says:

He was good. He clearly did not lip-sync any of it, which was a nice change. He did perform from start to finish. I don’t think it was a blow-out performance by any means, but did he do a good job, yes.

42. Jon Slutz says:

The RHCP were disrespected tonight. They have 10x the musical talent Mars will ever hope to have. I couldnt believe The RHCP were only given one song. Any RHCP song trumps Mars. It just shows how people today value popularity over actual talent

43. CJ says:

I’m not a big Bruno Mars fan, but I really enjoyed the halftime show. I thought it was really enjoyable without being over the top. Nice to see the halftime entertainment being brought back down to earth – IMO it has been getting progressively more flashy, over-produced, and tends to overshadow the game itself. I’d much prefer to see more halftime shows like tonight’s in the coming years.

44. Dave says:

One word. Forgettable. AC/DC next year!!! Vote now!!!!!

45. tp says:

What’s amazing to me are the comments here saying Bruno doesn’t have any talent. He plays multiple instruments, writes songs for more than a few artists other than himself and his vocals are amazing. He sounds just like the recorded music without lip syncing or auto tune. I don’t know how much more talented one can be. You might not be familiar with his music, because honestly no one can know every singer everywhere, but to say he’s ot talented is just crazy.

46. james says:

Not having RHCP there would’ve made it absolutely perfect.

47. David4 says:

Best Half Time Show I have ever seen.

Worst Super Bowl I have ever seen.

48. Mika02 says:

The only part I was mad at is that it was so darn short I feel like every other Super Bowl performer got more time then Bruno.

49. simplyme says:

One of the better half time shows I have seen in recent years. Great music and I think it was awesome that our military heroes were given the opportunity to dedicate a song to their loved ones. The light show and fireworks were spectacular.

50. I really enjoyed the performances from both Bruno Mars and the Red Hot Chili Peppers I think that it was a really good show. don’t trash the peppers because of your lack of taste they were a perfect mash up and Bruno Mars picked The Red Hot Chili Peppers to play with them in the super bowl. It was good to actually see guys play it was great no complaints other wise.