Emmys

Big Bang Theory Exclusive: Bob Newhart Set to Make Third Appearance as Professor Proton

The Proton DisplacementBob Newhart and The Big Bang Theory can’t get enough of each other.

The veteran actor is set to reprise his Emmy-winning role as Sheldon and Leonard’s childhood idol Professor Proton later this season, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED | Big Bang Exclusive: Lost Alum Cast as Raj’s New Love Interest

This will mark Newhart’s third Big Bang appearance, following his inaugural stint last season and his encore this past November.

There’s no word what brings the professor (aka Arthur Jeffries, Ph.D.) back into the fold.

1. martina says:

Ugh. Am I the only one who doesn‘t find him hilarious? I find him quite depressing, actually. And certainly not funny enough to bring him several times to the show.

• Deb says:

Martina, I don’t know how old you are ~ perhaps you haven’t been exposed to the genius that is Bob Newhart. Do yourself a big favor and go to YouTube to watch some clips featuring this wonderful comedien. He is a treasure!

• Ann f says:

check into his filmography! he is one of the funniest dead-pan comedians ever. He may not say much but his expressions say it all. In the 1961 movie :”Hell is for Heroes”, he played a soldier clerk who got turned around and ended up on the front. He ended up being told to carry on a conversation over a ‘dead’ phone to convince the German soldiers listening by an electronic ‘bug’ that everything was ‘fine’, if not comfortable. For a dramatic piece it was hysterical! His on-stage ‘phone calls’ are unbelievable. Open your brain and appreciate him!

• David says:

The answer to your question, Martina, is No. However, not being the only person who does not find Bob Newhart hilarious does not make him any less funny. Finding him depressing only serves to imply that, perhaps, you (and others like you) might be better served by visiting a Psychiatric facility where, perhaps, someone can help you put childish things away and develop an adult sense of humor.

• Mike says:

Then I think you’ll like the 3rd episode he’s going to be on. I know someone who went to the taping so I know what happens.

2. CBWBDK1 says:

Really? More of him, is that really necessary? Enough is enough. His character is annoying.

3. I have to agree that I just find him boring, dull, and depressing. One episode was ok. Two was a bit much. THREE is overdoing it. TBBT is jumping the shark now.

4. hello says:

I kinda dislike this character, especially after Sheldon told him how much his show meant to him growing up and Proton basically laughed at him

5. Brett says:

Love Bob Newhart and love his character on the show. But I hate how the show just goes for the dumb or broad joke whenever he pops up. Just not as clever as the show has proven to be on occasion.

6. Babybop says:

I love him on the show! I’m excited!

7. london95 says:

Thrilled to hear this. He’s absolutely hilarious.

8. David4 says:

Big Bang this season and last have been horrible. It’s just boring and lame and guest spots.

• ElenaGreece says:

I agree. This has to be the worst season ever. The writing has been completely stupid, and makes poor use of the regular actors and the guests.

9. Stacy says:

I’m so happy! I’ve loved his appearances on the show. His deadpan delivery is fantastic. And – for the record – I’m a mere 28, so no, it isn’t just the older generation who enjoys him.

10. Christian says:

Love Newhart and his appearances on the show. But this season has been a complete disappointment. Very flat and the timing is off. I feel the actors are getting lazy because the writers are. Only Parsons turns in a consistently loyal performance despite the fact that the characters are stuck in a rut. It’s like the show has written itself into a corner.

11. Tom Mc says:

You can never get enough Bob Newhart. And they need to bring back James Earl Jones!
    He should take them to Comic-Con as he suggested!

12. Chris S. says:

I enjoy Bob Newhart, but not crazy about his BBT character. I’ve been hoping for a visit from “Mary Cooper” , Sheldon ‘s mom. Those episodes are always top notch.

13. Matt says:

The Professor Proton episodes have been fine and I’m happy to see Bob Newhart anytime, but the only truly outstanding episode this season was the Thanksgiving one.

14. I wishs thay would get on with more girls friend for the two men if thay like the girl put a ring to them the girl that ROGES had was good for him bring her back.go back and look at the show that BOB NEWHART was on that just the way he is?

15. Another old Bob says:

There are a lot of reasons why we like certain characters. I find Bob Newhart is funny and entertaining, and I seeing him on TV is like seeing an old friend. It does not matter if you like him or not- the fact that some of you have to get on one of these stupid Leave a Reply things and say you don’t like him makes you a mean person. Maybe you don’t like old people. Well, we don’t like you either. How do you like them apples?

16. hanes says:

These are actually grea ideas inn regarding blogging. Youu have touched some good things here.
    Any way keep up wrinting.