Writers Guild Awards: Breaking Bad, Veep, House of Cards and Days of Our Lives Among Winners

Writers Guild Award WinnersThe 66th annual Writers Guild Awards were handed out Saturday night in Los Angeles and New York City, and AMC’s Breaking Bad came away with two wins, including for best drama series, while HBO’s Veep claimed the top comedy prize.

RELATED | Emmys Shocker: 2014 Telecast to Air on a Monday

To win best drama, Breaking Bad‘s final season bested The Good Wife, Homeland, House of Cards and Mad Men. Veep meanwhile beat out 30 Rock, Modern Family, Parks and Rec and Orange Is the New Black.

RELATED | 2014 Emmys Exclusive: Merged TV-Movie/Miniseries Category Headed For a Breakup

TV’s major winners are listed below.

DRAMA SERIES
Breaking Bad

COMEDY SERIES
Veep

NEW SERIES
House of Cards

EPISODIC DRAMA
Breaking Bad, “Confessions” — written by Gennifer Hutchison
Jesse is set to “disappear” when he realizes that Walt was behind Brock’s poisoning

EPISODIC COMEDY
30 Rock, “Hogcock!” — written by Jack Burditt & Robert Carlock
Part 1 of the hour-long series finale

ANIMATION
The Simpsons, “A Test Before Trying” written by Joel H. Cohen
The results of a standardized test gets Bart and Lisa’s school shut down

CHILDREN’S – EPISODIC & SPECIALS
A.N.T. Farm, “influANTces” — written by Vincent Brown
Working on a Black History Month project, Chyna channels Ella Fitzgerald, Aretha Franklin and Janet Jackson

COMEDY/VARIETY
The Colbert Report

COMEDY/VARIETY – SPECIALS
Blake Shelton’s Not So Family Christmas

DAYTIME DRAMA
Days of Our Lives

QUIZ AND AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION
Jeopardy!

NEWS – ANALYSIS, FEATURE, OR COMMENTARY
60 Minutes, “Lethal Medicine” — written by Michael Rey, Oriana Zill de Granados, Michael Radutzky

NEWS – REGULARLY SCHEDULED, BULLETIN, OR BREAKING REPORT
ABC World News with Diane Sawyer, “Tragedy at Newtown” — written by Lisa Ferri and Matt Negrin

1. George says:

Lawd…Ron Carlivati already throwing so much shade over that DOOL win

• I Heart Damon Salvatore says:

Is anyone surprised by that? I mean….really? DOOL kicked GH’s butt writing-wise in 2013.

• dude says:

No it didn’t NO. It didn’t. DOOL is just a mess now and has been for quite some time. At least General Hospital had that fantastic 50th Anniversary. Really though, Young and the Restless should have won. Days of our Lives was the worst possible option.

• Father Time says:

You are delusional! There’s DAYS and then there’s the rest! YawneR is hated very much right now by a lot of their own viewers.

• I Heart Damon Salvatore says:

GH is the worst-written soap on the air right now. I mean, just look at the Franco mess and they totally botched Robin’s return. Would it have killed them to give Robin one scene telling her family about her ordeal? No, we got weeks of filler, weeks of Patrick trying to pick between the love of his life and the babysitter with benefits, and then — BAM she’s gone again. Talking dogs, LSD psychics, vampires…RC has no idea what he’s doing and I’m sure it burns him up that a “scab” is being recognized for his writing efforts over him.

2. Father Time says:

Days of our Lives is so damn HOT!!!

• I am thrilled Days took this award! You’re right, Father Time! It has been on fire lately and garnering some of its best ratings in a long time. Coupled with the recent two year renewal they just received, there is a lot more good story telling ahead!

3. Britta Unfiltered says:

Breaking Bad, Veep, and the Confessions episode of Breaking Bad…exactly what I wanted to win. Too bad Masters of Sex didn’t win best new show, but I really didn’t expect it to beat out OITNB or House of Cards.
    I watched it online, because, yes, I have nothing better to do with my time. I needed something to occupy my attention while I was making Superbowl snacks. Jennifer Tilly and her ex are quite a hoot together. Poor Julie Delpy was a nervous hot mess. She could have used a cocktail. Paul Mazursky was really funny, though a bit long-winded. I suppose if I had my moment in the sun like that, I would be up there talking until the last possible second too.

4. Youn says:

Is veep really good? I’ve never watch it because u don’t have hbo

5. NYCer4Life says:

It is truly poor judgment and a lack of professionalism on Ron Carlivati’s part to go on social media to disparage Gary Tomlin, who continued to write for ONE LIFE TO LIVE during the 2007-2008 writers’ strike. Perhaps in addition to being unsportsmanlike this is personal animus from Carlivati, who was OLTL’s head writer during the writers’ strike, against Tomlin. Nonetheless, this is just tacky of Carlivati. He should’ve simply been gracious, congratulatory toward DAYS and left well enough alone. Tomlin wasn’t even nominated for Pete’s sake.

6. david says:

i never thought ill see the day where days of our lives, breaking bad and veep and in the same paragraph lol.