Seth Meyers' Saturday Night Live Send-Off: Who Showed Up for His Final Update? (Watch Video)

Late Night-bound Seth Meyers anchored his final Weekend Update this week on Saturday Night Live, and as expected, the occasion was marked by special guests.

RELATED | Saturday Night Live Names Seth Meyers’ ‘Weekend Update’ Replacement

After Meyers delivered what would be his final WU joke, recently installed coanchor Cecily Strong got the send-off going, sharing her appreciation for having the opportunity to work alongside him on the mid-show segment.

SNL Seth Meyers GoodbyeStrong then cued up the first two visitors — onetime WU anchor Amy Poehler and sometime visitor Stefon (played by Bill Hader). Having previously stopped off at some of Stefon’s favorite clubs (including “Kevin…?”), Poehler told her former SNL colleague, “We’re here to take you to the other side.” Turning (briefly) serious, she then noted, “You have been the heart of this show for over a decade.”

Strong then tried to join in on the gushfest, only to have Stefon hiss back at her, “You barely know him!”

VIDEO | Late Night With Seth Meyers Promo Hints at Seamless Transition (Save For One Glitch)

Poehler and Stefon promised Meyers that a “cool world” exists outside of SNL, one full of “opportunities, new adventures” … “homeless weight lifters who look like the Croods… and human DVRs. You know, that thing where a midget sits on your TV and tells you what happened on Scandal.”

Andy Samberg then entered the scene to launch into a few bars of Boyz 2 II Men’s “It’s So Hard To Say Goodbye To Yesterday.”

Meyers got emotional as he wrapped things up, saying, “Being out here with my coanchors, my dear friend and my ‘husband’ has been the perfect way to end… This is the job I always wanted, and I had the best time….” Poehler’s voice also cracked some, as she ended Update with her usual sign-off.

As one final call-back to Meyers’ Weekend Update run, former SNLer Fred Armisen crossed in front of the camera amidst the revelry, as former New York Gov. David Paterson.

What did you think of  Seth’s SNL send-off? Anyone else you would have liked to have seen?

Comments (19)

• I literally said right before that it would be a waste if Stefan didn’t show up. And then Amy and Stefan came out and I was pleased. Sad to see Seth go but it was a sweet ending. Could have been bigger? Probably but it was a nice send off for a man that’s been around for over a decade.

Comment by Tai – February 1, 2014 10:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel like he deserved a send-off the scale of Stefon’s but it was a nice way to go. They all seemed really emotional and it was fun seeing Amy, Bill, Andy and Fred. It just feels like, for all he’s done for SNL, he deserved more.

Comment by dude – February 1, 2014 10:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fred Armisen cameo at the end had me in tears. Was hoping for one more “REALLY, with Seth and Amy”.

Comment by Kre – February 1, 2014 10:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I, too, feel it could have been better, but I suppose part of the reasoning is that we’re not really losing him…he’s just moving his act to weeknights, and I’m sure it won’t be long before we see a “Really? with Seth and Amy” on Late Night. :-)

Comment by TV Gord – February 1, 2014 11:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s a sweet idea, but I doubt it. Fallon doesn’t pull SNL bits onto his show, does he? He’ll want it to be a distinct thing. If, say, Amy comes back to host SNL, I could see Seth showing up on SNL as a cameo to do it with her.

Comment by S. – February 2, 2014 12:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Seth told the Television Critics press tour last month: “I do think we want to have some ‘Update’ elements. I’ve always been drawn to topical humor. We want that to be a big element of the show.” :-)

Comment by TV Gord – February 2, 2014 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You don’t think Jimmy pulls from SNL for his show?? He might not do exact characters he did on SNL. but he also was off the show for 7 years before getting Late Night. Seth will have been off for a few weeks.

From the way Seth has been talking about the show, I feel his version of Late Night, will be more like an hour long Update, just with more real celebrities and a musical guest (and the legally required animal guest every few months). Amy is his first guest, I would find it more likely they do a Really?! or some version of it then, rather than hijacking Update.

Comment by Amy – February 2, 2014 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay Stephan!

Comment by N – February 2, 2014 12:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it was a perfect send-off for Seth…just like him, understated, hilarious, and, like Amy said, full of heart. I’m glad we’re still going to be seeing him, now even more, on our TV’s.

Comment by Merissa – February 2, 2014 12:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best of luck hosting Late Night Seth. I’m behind him 100%. :-)

Comment by Tran 2.0 – February 2, 2014 06:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In two consecutive weeks, there have been sketches focused on couples, and, both times, the background, throwaway-character couple has been played by Sasheer Zamata and Taran Killam. Why that pairing? It’s not like he needs more screen time, and even if they’re just worried she’s taller than most of the male cast, they have Brooks Whelan. Of course, after last week also gave us a sketch pairing Kenan with Aidy Bryant–though she was needing some screen time last week–I’m starting to wonder if the writer’s room is just paranoid of being called racist on the Internet if they pair Sasheer with Jay Pharoah.

Comment by Steven – February 2, 2014 06:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I yelled at Cecily/my TV before Stefan did. I love Cecily but she hasn’t been around long. Overall it was a nice goodbye.

Comment by Sheri odom – February 2, 2014 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The goodbye was sweet. It was nice to see that Seth was sent off such a nice manner. I am worried about Weekend Update as I am afraid that CS delivery is not as strong as SM’s, but I hope that they practice in the time off for the Olympics.

Comment by Leigh – February 2, 2014 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was a HORRIBLE SHOW..they really wasted Melissa McCarthy’s talent on such stpid skits. I didn’t laugh once until Fred Armison showed up. This show has run its course…

Comment by DJ – February 2, 2014 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not that I disagree that the show isn’t what it used to be but the “The show has run its course” line is used week after week by people who keep coming back for more.

Comment by dys – February 2, 2014 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I expected more I think. I wish they had a more Seth centered Update with characters from his time at SNL. Loved seeing who did come, was hoping to have a Really! and got such a kick out of Fred right at the end but I was thinking there has to be something more. Loved Melissa. To say she commits is an understatement! :D

Comment by Kim R – February 2, 2014 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Andy Samberg seemed stoned.

Comment by Lindsey – February 2, 2014 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Perfect send-off for Seth. Glad some of his old friends appear on Weekend Update.

Comment by Joey – February 2, 2014 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you are found guilty, your driver’s license will be suspended for a certain period of time,
    you will be ordered to attend an alcohol treatment program, pay a fine, which in most cases
    is very high, and you might have to go to jail, as well. While
    the definitions of what is considered “bodily injury” is vague, online defensive driving course providers consider it to include any injury that limits quality of
    life or mobility, will alter your ability to perform any basic daily function (even for
    a short period of time), or one that requires medical attention.
    There’s always a possibility that you may be pulled over by the authorities especially in
    the state of Michigan, and when law enforcement suspects that you happen to be taking in alcohol, after that there may be a high possibility that you are going to be
    arrested and head to the jail.

Comment by dwi san antonio texas – February 2, 2014 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post