White Collar Season Finale Recap: Has Neal's -- and the Show's -- Time Run Out?

White Collar Season 5 Finale RecapLesson learned, White Collar: Don’t talk to strangers, especially if they’re tailing you.

The USA Network drama finished up its fifth season on Thursday night with a finale that found Neal kidnapped by a mysterious man and left us wondering if the con man – and the show – have reached their ends.

RELATED | USA Network Picks Up Eliza Coupe-Jay Harrington Courtroom Comedy Benched

But first, a brief refresher of the action, which begins when Rebecca announces that she’s given Mozzie a deadly poison. In exchange for the antidote, she wants Neal to acquire the twin of the Hope Diamond for her. With the help of Mosconi’s clues, Peter and Neal set off on a scavenger hunt at a military installation, where they uncover the gem behind a brick wall.

But rather than handing it off to Rebecca, Neal slyly swaps it with a rock before she takes off, making her think the diamond is in her possession. He plans to give her a reason to stay to keep her from escaping via helicopter; the mental picture he paints of their life together is pretty, but Rebecca isn’t falling for it again. Still, Neal knows she won’t go without the diamond and instructs her to check her bag, where she discovers the rock.

“I love how good you are,” Rebecca says.

“I hate how good you are,” Neal replies. With no way out in sight, he continues, “You have to know when it’s over. Sometimes, you have to stop running.” She does… and gets put back behind bars.

VIDEO | Suits Season 3 Spoilers — Louis Threatens Mike

Neal’s words just as easily apply to the con man himself, who actually takes them to heart. He confesses to Mozzie – who lives, thanks to Diana’s investigative skills and Elizabeth’s yelling – that he plans to give up the life and play by the rules. He’s not even going to go after the diamond, because it would just end up with him in jail again.

“My freedom is worth more than anything that diamond could buy,” he declares. But if he’s not a criminal, then who is he? asks Mozzie. “That’s what I want to find out,” Neal answers.

And it looks like he might get his chance when Peter gives him the good news that his release has been put into motion. But before he can even celebrate, Peter gets a call that the bureau doesn’t want to lose its best asset. Neal sees it all as a game that he can’t win and storms off, while Peter has a change of heart about his move to Washington. (Elizabeth still plans to take the job at the National Gallery of Art and come home on weekends! We get that it’s sometimes hard to fit El into the stories, but a long-distance marriage for the Burkes?!)

Meanwhile, an angry Neal notices that someone’s been following him and approaches the man to find out who he is.

“I’m about to become the last person on Earth who knows where you are,” he replies before another man puts a bag over Neal’s head and tosses his anklet. Uh oh!

What did you think of the finale cliffhanger? And does it feel like the show is nearing the end of its run? Season 6 is a safe bet, but perhaps it should be the final season. The strength of the show has always the terrific push-and-pull chemistry between Peter and Neal. But if trying to find ways to keep them together also keeps the characters from moving on and evolving, maybe it’s time to to take Neal’s advice and stop running from the truth: After all, everything good must come to an end.

1. Mary says:

Good recap, except why would you post it 2 hours before it aired on the east coast? All I can say is I’m glad I didn’t see this before it aired.

2. Lisa says:

Awesome season finale!!! Arguably still one of USA Network’s BEST SHOWS!!! Keep ‘em coming USA…MORE White Collar!

• Cands says:

Absolutely agree with you! Still feel that the show is not promoted as much as it should be and being ‘family friendly’ I feel that it is screened too late on Thursday’s, effectively eliminating a good many more followers and addicts like myself, that would otherwise be backing it, and also another season!
      Am concerned that too many follower numbers have dwindled and been lost by the wayside as the seasons go by.

• abz says:

So you’re not backing the show because it airs at 9pm instead of 8pm?? I’m sorry, but that’s just stupid!

• ladyrain says:

I believe the other poster was simply saying IF it were aired earlier, it would have more viewers, simply because it is more family oriented than a lot of shows.

3. Quinn Mallory says:

I was a little bit surprised that they didn’t say when the show is coming back, I guess season 6 is not set in stone yet. I do enjoy White Collar quite a bit, but all the gimmicks to keep Neal and Peter together has gotten a bit old.

• CBWBDK1 says:

I noticed that too. I hope it’s returns for at least another season.

• abz says:

After an ending like that, I’m pretty sure it will come back. That’s not a way to end a show for good. However, whether or not it’s the final season and whether it will have a reduced episode count or not, we’ll have to wait and see.

• Brittany says:

Jeff Eastin did say he wanted White Collar to run at max Eight Seasons. We’re now five seasons in, and we already know Neal’s past, Kate died, Sara left, Alex betrayed him, and Rebecca turned out to be a physcopath (that’ll teach me to contemplate another OTP for Neal lol!) Plus, Neal already ran once, Keller’s arc was wrapped up, as was Adlers and many other demons from Neal’s past. Realistically, how much more can be put in to the show? At least one, maybe two seasons. (Don’t get me wrong, I really want it to last forever, but I am a realist and I know that’s not possible).

So yes, Season 6 is a definite, but Seasons 7&8 may not be. Who knows?

4. Gabrielle says:

I would have agreed with you after watching the season premiere but the show just got better and better from there. The Rebecca Lowe storyline was amazing and that finale was total ‘A’ grade worthy. If they can keep things fresh like that each season, count me in. I’ll be watching!

• Cands says:

Completely agree Gabrielle! The writer’s have just gotten better and better as the season’s have progressed. I just wish everyone else had such good taste, insight and appreciation as we do! ;) I’m concerned about fans of White Collar dwindling. As long as the writing stays fresh, as you said, and keeps one guessing and holding our breath, then I don’t see why they can’t continue as far as Season 8 as Jeff Eastin hopes they will.

5. Kathleen says:

No end for this show! I would think you would have more confidence in the talents of the writers.

• Mozart says:

I would like to see them explore some of Neal’s previous exploits! Maybe a feature film outlining Neal’s masterful conquests pre-suit.

6. Yes it feels like season 6 could be the end. Maybe it should be. They keep doing the whole is he going to be good or bad more than once. Everyone has been in some kind of danger now with Neal being kidnapped. They are possible going to break the Burke’s up, although I don’t really see that happening.

7. Alichat says:

I have been wondering where they could take this story. As Elizabeth said, Neal has earned his freedom. He could have kept that diamond and let them believe Rebecca had it. So, the twist to not remove his anklet is annoying. And I knew the guy tailing him was going to kidnap him. It was the only avenue left.

• Agreed. The only way for this show to end is Neal having his freedom once and for all. I don’t see why they couldn’t have let him off his anklet, but paid him to be a consultant like he is now. It just seems like they are running out of idea’s of a way to keep him and Peter together. Yes the guy was clearly going to kidnap him. As soon as Neal walked out of the hospital I said he will get shot or kidnapped.

• MaryK says:

I figured something bad was going to happen to either Peter or Neal. And I’m right on board with you about Neal continuing to be a consultant. Except I’m assuming pay-wise CI’s aren’t given much, whereas if Neal wasn’t a CI the FBI would have to pay big bucks. The writers/producers seem stuck on the storyline of Peter not trusting Neal, instead of focusing on how great their friendship/teamwork is.

• Chris Leonardi says:

Also at issue is his status as a felon. They can keep him as a CI, however there might be issues with him getting an official job.

• CJ says:

Neal’s status as a felon would keep him from becoming an agent. But law enforcement uses consultants all the time – and with Neal’s skills, he could live pretty well if he’s paid market rate.

• TinLV says:

Google Frank Abagnale, the real-life con the movie “Catch Me if You Can” is based on. Despite his convictions, he went on to work for the FBI and eventually founded his own business… Since “White Collar” seems to be inspired by that story, I don’t see why the FBI couldn’t hire him in the show in an official capacity instead of keeping him as a tethered CI.

8. Lore says:

It is time to Peter goes to Washington, and Neal is free and perhaps a job in London?

9. Mel says:

I just watched all 4 seasons again before this one and this season wasn’t that great. This finale was horrible – bad writing acting and direction. A couple shows back the preview didn’t even match the episode. If your fans can no longer be tricked or treated by your show it’s time to go! Season 4 finale should have been the end if this is what we will keep getting on our TV screens. Glad some of you liked it.

10. JBC says:

This finale was really good. Sets it up nicely for S6 with many possibilities. Perhaps Elizabeth taking the job in DC will play into this. Maybe FBI Section Chief Bruce is behind the abduction. So glad to see some really great Neal and Peter scenes. They have come a very long way. I think Peter really wants to see Neal get his freedom. The hesitation before they hugged when they thought Neal was going to get the anklet off reminded me of Neal’s hesitation on the island when Peter first found him. These two have been through a lot together so I am glad that they have a relationship that continues to evolve. Glad they didn’t kill off Rachel. She could continue to be a great foil, and or reform in prison. Would love to see Bridget Regan guest starring again.

• I agree with your suggestions for plot points one more like somebody said in another comment I read Mozzie could be behind getting Neal away from the FBI thru the kidnapping

• JBC says:

Yes, I agree that it could be possible that Mozzie planned a Neal-knapping to get him free. My main concern now is if S6 will become reality. Still no word on S6 renewal. I love White Collar and hope we can at least get one more season. It wouldn’t be right to end it on a cliffhanger. This show has Loyal Fans worldwide. I hope the network and studio will work it out and agree for another season.

11. tara says:

the next season should be white collar’s last season. as elizabeth said, neal has earned his freedom, neal wants to change, he wants to start over, he wants to be different. elizabeth has earned a promotion! one that she deserves and worked hard for. why let her be unhappy?? you can’t expect and want the characters to move on and evolve, yet hold them back and write redundant stories. i think that after season six, white collar will have run its course. season six should be the usual cases, mysteries, find neal, and also giving neal his freedom and peter moving to dc with his wife. the burkes are a happy couple. are you going to break them up for the sake of continuing the show? that’ll be wrong. i love white collar, it’s an awesome show, this season was really good; but like the article says, all good things must come to and end. if white collar wants to go out on top, then season six should be its last….

12. tvgeek says:

I thought this season was great. I’d love to see a sixth season to wrap everything up. One question though what happened to Satchmo? I don’t remember seeing him this season.

• sarah says:

YES YES YES….

I’ve been wondering this same thing!!!! All the family moments like when she comes back from protection, or when they are sitting on the floor in the kitchen packing… GIVE ME SATCHMO….. /sigh…

• JBC says:

Satchmo was in Episode 5. Remember him on the sofa with Peter when Peter was sick?

• Cands says:

YES, I’ve really missed ‘Satch’ – I’ve always felt they don’t show enough of him – he’s so special – and he really does add to the Peter and El dynamic. Also wondered why he wasn’t there with them when they were packing – I’m always looking for him when they film in the Burke’s home. I say, BRING SATCHMO back!!! More of Satchmo!

13. skrable2 says:

Loved the episode … until the cliffhanger. It just going to lead to Peter suspecting Neal took off by himself, forcing Peter to doubt (once again) whether neal can be trusted.

It’s becoming so familiar a plotline that its like that old gag from “Friends” … “this is the episode of Three’s Company where there’s some kind of misunderstanding.”

14. JOHN says:

I believe season 6 should be the last season. They should go out on top instead of dragging it on to long. After all how much lost treasure/diamonds can there be! Peter, Elizabeth and now Neal have all been kidnapped. They have to find Neal quick next season like they found him on the island the beginning of season 4. Neal’s father has to be put in jail. Neal has to find his mother. Sara Ellis has to come back. Neal should be free and Peter should be heading to DC when the show ends but before it ends the next and last big danger should be the biggest one yet. Maybe Jones dies, it has to be bigger than all the other ones…

15. Annamaria says:

We haven’t had season 5 as of yet…but I would like to know if Sara will ever be back. Neal and Sara make a beautiful couple!

• Cands says:

Agreed, they make the BEST couple – BEST chemistry – and it would be amazing if they could get back together in Season 6 – she admitting that she made a mistake to end it between them, because it wasn’t Neal who wanted them to part, it was Sara (for her promotion in London). Hope she comes to her senses! I mean, seriously, who would give up Neal Caffrey if he were serious about you??!!

16. Alicia says:

Sara isn’t in season 5, but hopefully if it gets picked up she will be in Season 6!

17. rowan77 says:

The only problem I had this season was the animosity Neal was feeling toward Peter because Peter still doesn’t trust him. I felt that was a bit disingenuous because Neal has consistently broken the law every single season and Peter knew about it at least some of the time.

Of course Peter would not totally trust Neal. But then that had that great moment a few episodes back where Neal eavesdropped on Peter and Jones. The look of hurt on Neal’s face when he overheard Peter say he wouldn’t wish Caffrey on any handler made it look like it was going somewhere. It continued through last week where Neal looks like he was over Peter and was ready to skip out on him as soon as he got the diamond. Then tonight the entire animosity thing and Neal’s pain about Peter was gone as if it never happened.

I get that not having Diana at the hospital – or Mozzie even acknowledging that it was she who saved his life was likely an edited for time issue, but to have something like what was happening with Neal just disappear was bad writing/editing.

Other than that though, the episode was the best of the season (which was not on par with the previous 4, but every show has its ups and downs) and I really hope there is a season 6. I hold my opinion on a season 7 until we know what season 6 shapes up to be. Too lesser seasons in a row could mean it’s time to close out while they’re still doing well in the ratings. That said, Supernatural had a bad time creatively during seasons 6 and 7 (with 7 being the worst season overall), but has become great again since season 8 (and now season 9).

18. M3rc Nate says:

I think with good writing this show can keep going. I like how the episodes never waiver into being filler or feel like the showrunner doesn’t know where hes going. Each episode has a purpose and each season has its plots/story-lines thought out and planned. Love it. And considering how the finale ended..it seems like the writers/showrunner already know where they want to go next season with trouble in paradise (long distance relationship for the Berks) and Neal being kidnapped.

I think 1) They can spend a entire season having Sara come back and them officially become a couple that get married, Neal can have a half brother (his father got a woman pregnant somehow) that ends up being Tom Welling (or someone else great) and he ends up being either just like Neal (white collar criminal) or a FBI Agent (a bad one) or something. Then there is the entire story-line (which would coincide nicely with tying up Neal and Sara being together and getting engaged/married) Neal FINALLY being free, and considering hes Neal, IMO they should give him a sendoff with some money he got legally.

• Jessica says:

Very creative!! you should present that idea to them it would really keep a story going! i feel like if anyone else has noticed that almost every episode of this season at the end it says characters welcome and they really want more different people to keep the show going.
      overall i love this show and its amazing how long its been going on like all the Kate stuff seemed ages ago and this season barely had art thief and crimes it was more on the story line which i really liked because it keeps the audience interested.
      the one ting i don’t like about this show is how they keep leaving issues hanging like about his dad once he left he was gone and no one spoke a word and same with Sara once she left he just found someone new like they need to continue everything and make it flow which lets hope the writing all have some magic masterpiece where everything’s perfect ahaha
      Soo looking forward to season 6 though can not wait!!
      but i feel they are dragging the show on like in the last 5 mins he gets kidnapped like it could have ended but thats okaii i don’t mind watching even more of my favorite series :D

19. Jen says:

There are very few shows on television that remain golden after the first few seasons. But while I haven’t loved every episode, overall I very much enjoy and look forward to watching each new one. I hope season six is not the last. There is a lot they can do to keep the storyline fresh and evolving.

And I like Elizabeth, but I really don’t mind her choosing to go. It’s about time the Burke’s had some marital interaction that wasn’t overly saccharine. Who could really live up to the affectionate perfection they display episode after episode?

For future seasons (hopefully plural) I hope to have more development for Jones, and I REALLY hope they bring Keller back. Maybe a multi-episode sting operation? Explore new cities? Nationwide manhunt? I don’t care, as long as there IS more.

• Cands says:

YES, Jen! Keller was GREAT! Would love to see him back too. I also hope Season 6 is not the last. I feel that the writer’s really stepped it up in Season 5 and so, therefore, could keep doing so.
      I agree about the Burke’s interaction – I mean, talk about an unrealistic marital relationship – or at least it might be one in a zillion, but come on, who can honestly relate – it’s way too fairytale perfect.
      Despite all the criticism at the time, I really appreciated the episode when El got so suspicious of Peter working with his ex-girlfriend – finally it showed she had a normal, human side to her – not the Stepford wife act perfectly in place all the time.
      I would like to see things getting a bit more gritty, more real than they have been.

20. Mandy says:

I love this show. It’s fast paced and snappy. All the actors have great chemistry together. But too be honest, I felt like they could all walk of into the sunset at the end of this and be happy. I wanted to see Burke walk out of the hospital room with the diamond still in Mozzie’s hand and go off with Elizabeth. I wanted to see Neil and Mozzie’s on a beach somewhere, maybe Skyping with Elizabeth and Peter when they announce they are going to have a baby.
    I am ready for a happy ending for this show.

21. Jane.C.L says:

I do think they should wrap up the show. This season was not as good as the previous seasons. The writing wasn’t nearly as good as before. I was not a fan of the Rebecca story line, It was just to predictable. I saw her being a bad guy right away. I didn’t like how they handled Neal and Peter’s relationship either.
    Then there’s Peter who cant decide if he does or doesn’t trust Neal. Then Neal’s ready to leave his life of crime behind one minute the next he want to run away with Mozzie. Neal has being going back and forth for a while now and it cant go on forever.
    I don’t know but I don’t think they can go on for to much longer and have Neal still be a criminal working for the FBI. Eventually Neal has to get his freedom. Once Neal gets his freedom that kinda ends the show. The more they drag it out the worse the show will get.
    I love White Collar but I think its time for them to wrap it up.

• Brittany says:

The reason Neal flip flopped on being a con or not is because as he said a few seasons (I think early last season) ago, he is tired of running. So when the FBI gave him a chance at freedom, he felt like he was getting a chance to decide who he was. Then the FBI mercilessly yanked that away from him- Wouldn’t you be a little mad and say Screw them, I’m leaving? I would.

22. Myc says:

Oh, my, that’s it… What do I watch now?
    I didn’t even know of this series until a week ago (how come nobody told me about it when they all know I base my TV choices mainly on male eye-candy?! guess it’s not a big hit in my country), just watched the 5 seasons in that short time, and I’ve totally fallen for this. I love the dynamics between the characters, their friendship, their tricks and all.
    As I was watching those 70 something episodes (I think I liked seasons 2 and 3 best), I kept thinking “there’s 5 seasons of this, pleaaase let the 5th one not be the last!!” and, now that I’ve finished it, I can only hope there will be a 6th. I want to be eagerly waiting for each episode, every week next year, enjoy that excitement that you get when you’re about to get your weekly dose of your favorite shows. Never got that with White Collar, now I’m totally hooked and I have no next episode to watch… I definitely want season 6, and I’m up for more if only it can stay that good. I realize it must have been hard for the writers to keep Neal and Peter’s relationship going, now that it’s been established that they care about each other, but the show needs to keep their interests in conflict… So far, so good, it’s been a thrill every time Neal played a con under Peter’s nose and Peter suspected and got him.
    All that being said, I hope the writers will know when to stop, and give us a nice ending, for this amazing show that really deserves it. There’s nothing sadder than an initially great show that slowly worsens and drags on, only to not get renewed (leaving us fans with a bad last season and a poor final that fails in picking up the audience’s interest…). I like a bad series finale (the Lost, Medium, Dexter type) better than a bad to be continued that you never get the answers to (like, the Heroes, Flashforward, Terra Nova and oh, so many, type…). If it gets to this, I hope the writers will know not trade a fair ending for a go at renewal.

23. melissa says:

More white collar, I hope . Maybe it was Neil’s long lost half brother, bad guy who kidnapped him, more than likely it was something to do with rebecca, definitely bring back sara.or have rebecca pregnant with neils child, old soap twist.

• Cands says:

Oh wow – yes – Rebecca pregnant with Neal’s child and Sara back on the scene! Neal has to care for his child because Rebecca is still incarcerated for a long time – wouldn’t that all be interesting!

24. Eliza says:

Loved this season. Albeit it had some repetitive stuff, in all, it was good. Bridget Regan was excellent addition to crew, and I like her very much. I don’t have any idea where TPTB taking this story with abduction, but there is no more white collar on Neal’s leg, so my first thought about season 6: what if Rebecca, as very good agent and con women, in her remorse, get a second chance and help FBI to find Neal or be second substitute to Neal, but in constant searching (as in personal and business account) of Neal. Maybe there is more to her than we known of. She is little crazy, but I like that. Anyway, I would be fine with her as regular next season. Bridget Regan can bring it.

25. Michael says:

I will bet the guy that kidnapped Neil was in the CIA and they are going behind the FBI so that they can use neils talents for themselves. I will bet that originally Peter will think neil cut his anklet and it will come down to mozzie making Peter realize that Neil isn’t running and that something terrible is going on. It just seems that this is the way the story is going. as for the season to come I have been a fan of the show since before day one, they were shooting the original episode across the street from the hospital of joint disease on 17st and I happened to be visiting someone there and caught a scene and it was then I became a fan. I asked someone standing there what movie it was and he turned and said its a cable series show called white collar it will be on USA. From then on I waited to see what it was about and the rest is history. I would be a little upset if season 6 is it but if the feelings of e viewing audience in general is that it isn’t as good as season 1 then better to go out on top and say goodbye in a good way as oppose to getting canceled and leaving die hard fans in suspense and feeling like they wasted a few years watching a show for no reason. If it does end, I would hope the writers and producers have the decency to give the fans closure and not some shocking cliff hanging type of ending, give Neil what he ultimately wants, not just freedom, bring back Kate, Neils true love with a story line that she didn’t die in the plane explosion let them get married, and let the show end in the FBI offices with an announcement that Peter and Elizabeth are going to have a baby. It would be doing the loyal hardcore fans from day one an injustice not to give the characters their rightfully deserved endings. I personally think the show has a few good seasons left with the right story lines and plots but if everyone else doesn’t agree then it is that time, hopefully not the case… This show really is one of the best, if not the best show on tv.

26. Jane says:

I was actually looking forward for next season when I thought Neal was finally going to get his freedom and maybe they would go to DC and have some new locals and Peter and Neal could actually work as partners of a sort instead of Peter being the sanctimonious jerk he has become. Now its just the same way they seem to end every season lately, Neal almost getting his freedom, Peter having to take it back at the last moment, Neal disappearing for one reason of the other. It will start next year with Peter thinking he has run off and losing faith in him again. They almost had the making of a good season for next year and let it drift away, very disappointing.

27. jennifer says:

I didn’t read the article cause I haven’t watch the episode yet. DVR’d it and will catch up tonight, but want to say I LOVE THIS SHOW and I really hope this isn’t it. I love Matt Bomer and Tim DeKay. They are awesome as is the whole cast! Hope it comes back!!!

28. tv2day says:

This is the first season I missed. I saw the first two eps and lost interest. Same story lines every year. I did see season finale and being that the season had the same themes as the others I caught right up after the intro.

29. Kris says:

I can’t believe I missed the ending! Thinking the cliffhanger was the tease for Neal’s freedom and the mystery man following him, I hit stop on my DVR and deleted the ep! I hope I can un-delete it and watch the end! Sigh…

30. Andrew Hass says:

I do think White Collar will be ending soon but maybe next season.Next season will probably start with Neal trying to escape and Peter trying to find him and finding out why that man kidnapped Neal.That could open up new stories.As for Peter i would hope he wouldn’t automatically assume Neal ran off willingly.Plus i’m betting the man who kidnapped Neal is someone from his past or working with someone else.As for how the series ends when that time comes Neal should get his freedom but still work with Peter.However then it’ll be Neal’s choice to do it

31. Bonnie Maynes says:

I didn’t think there was enough drama. Mozzie was saved too easily, Rebecca gave up too easily, Peter is staying. I don’t like that Elizabeth is moving to DC by herself. She was too quick with that solution. I wonder if whoever kidnapped Neal wants him to pull jobs for them. I hope that there is another season.

• abz says:

I don’t see it as Rebecca giving up so easily. She clearly fought very hard, but in the end, the Feds were closing in. The thing she wanted most (the hope diamond) was gone and basically she had nowhere to go. I like that scene between them just sitting on the rock.

32. Nel says:

i think the guys that kidnapped Neal are the same guys from the helicopter that were working with Rebecca. Now that she has failed, they need Neal to get the diamond for them. Remember that Rebecca works “for hire” so she was most likely getting the diamond for someone else who will turn out to be the season six bad guy.

• HAP says:

Or this was Rebecca’s plane B all along. She is diabolical. That’s why she gave up so meekly. I see more Bridget Regan in the future iof this show.

33. Jan says:

There was a throwaway teaser during the show when Neal mentioned that a good enough fake diamond couldn’t be made during the time it was hidden. No one knew what the diamond looked like. Has Neal made a fake and passed it off to Peter?

• But he didn’t tell Mozzie. Mozzie has been complaining about how the diamond was suppose to be their big payday. If Neal had made a fake surely he would have had Mozzie help. Had Mozzie not been upset maybe I would see the diamond being fake.

34. Denise says:

I just love this show… I think that they should run the show as long as they can.

35. abz says:

I’ve really enjoyed this season. The Rebecca storyline was great and the actress did a great job. I’m looking forward to next season, however, I can’t deny that I was kind of disappointed that Neal was denied his freedom. I would have loved to watch the next season being about Neal’s development and seeing him explore how he could go about living a crime-free life. We could have watched him grow and move on and see him in different settings while he figured things out and I’m sure the writers could still have come up with an intriguing season long story in addition to that. In the end they could have possibly made Neal realize that being at the FBI was his calling. He may have never appreciated his job as a consultant because he never had his freedom, but allowing him his freedom could have given him an entirely different outlook on the life he’s been living since he started at the FBI and maybe a new appreciation for it.
    I hope they don’t leave it to the series finale to give Neal his freedom because there is a lot that I’d love to see happen after he’s free.

• Kathleen says:

You are right! I see so much more for Neal and Peter too.

• Cands says:

Absolutely – why does the series have to end if Neal gets free – it could open up a whole other world of episodes with Neal being free and his relationship with Peter evolving in that context and dynamic.
      Why must White Collar remain in it’s original synopsis? Why can’t it just evolve and continue on, so long as it keeps getting better and better as it has been thus far??

36. Curt says:

One more year and wind it up. Leave while your on top … almost. Personally they could go 2 or 3 more years cause I enjoy the show so much. Only thing better on cable? SUITS and Major Crimes

37. Bugatti Girl says:

I like White Collar, but this season was a diminishment of both characters. Peter still views Neal as just a criminal even after everything that happened in seasons 1-4, and Neal still goes behind Peter’s back, when he could just go straight to him and say someone is blackmailing me to commit crimes. it is faux drama–an excuse to not let the characters mature and change. Wouldn’t it be great just to see the characters that we like working together and trusting each other?

38. AnandaSky says:

I want Peter to resign, Neal to be set free and they all join together to form a worldwide jet-setting detective agency ala Burke’s Seven. That way Elle could be in every week, along with Mozzie, June and add Diana to the mix.

But an absolute no to White Collar ending! Just get Peter and Neal on the same side again – they’re best when working as friends and each wandering into a gray area.

39. Marci says:

Yes, please, it’s time to put a fork in it. Let Season 6 be the last.

40. Grace Semrau says:

Awesome finale😄😃😀😀😃😀😃😃😃 but why the heck would you have Neil kidnapped? Why?????????😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😩😩😩😫😫😩😫😩😫😩😱😱😱😱😫😩😫😩😩😫😩😫😨😩😫😩😩😭😭😭😭😭

41. Grace Semrau says:

They can’t make this the end of the series!!!!!!!!!! I will seriously die

• Christina says:

Totally agree! I had no idea this was the season finale and i feel cheated! i was hoping for 3 more awesome episodes!!! Every other season had 16 episodes but this one only 13. So not fair!

• abz says:

I believe they made this 13 episode to give Jeff Eastin more time to work on Graceland, but I do agree, it sucks that we didn’t get a full season of WC

42. Jerry says:

I had a hunch the season finale would end with Neal getting kidnapped. This is based on how much weight he lost for HBO’s “The Normal Heart”, I theorize the season 6 opening will find him imprisoned somewhere, emaciated with his head shaved. Basically, the WC writers will use his weight loss and physical appearance for the HBO role to their gain. This is only a theory, and my 2 cents.

• Kim says:

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up on the new role.

• Cands says:

Well, they haven’t started shooting Season 6 yet – IF there will be a season 6. The Normal Heart is finished with filming and if you saw the photo’s of Matt arriving at LAX on Thursday last week, you will see that he has already put on a lot more weight and his hair has grown out pretty fast since it was shaved. So, he doesn’t seem to be keeping his emaciated appearance for the long haul.

43. Roger says:

Loved this season of White Collar. Bridget Regan brought it as usual. You can tell that the show is close to the end as each character is on the verge of moving on and finding individual happiness. I can see the writers bringing back Rachel/Rebecca to help find Neal as part of guilt AND also bringing back Sara once she learns Neal has been kidnapped.

#SixSeasonsAndAMovie.

44. Kim says:

I found this season riveting. It kept me guessing and on the edge of my seat throughout most of the episodes. Elizabeth telling Neal to do whatever it takes to free Peter, but not quite owning it when the truth came out didn’t sit well with me. This might have been the beginning of a fissure in the Burke relationship. Elizabeth wants Peter safe and not involved in high profile, dangerous white collar crimes, though a long distance relationship felt a bit out of character and contrived. Peter trying to compartmentalize Neal as criminal and himself as lawful, above reproach, was annoying which was the intent. Neal being divided between two master as it where, Hagen and Peter, pushed Neal into survival mode, answering only to himself. But in my mind, he never could quite turn away from Peter. Peter has always known, but finally sees the grey in all things, even his beloved Elizabeth. A lesson, I believe, will make the character less rigid. Although, I do believe his moral, above reproach stance, was admirable and a touchstone for the show. I am looking forward to the next season and found the stories to be fresh and interesting. I particularly love when they have historical elements and use interesting, old locations around the city. I looked forward to the shows this season. While watching the finale, I was waiting for the shoe to drop, and it had nothing to do with Neal’s freedom, but yet it does. Again Neal is stuck between good and evil, not just metaphorically.

45. Cands says:

PLEASE – let there be a Season 6 and writers, you better be top of your game because you need to seriously up the ante if the majority of opinions out there mean anything to you. I LOVE an earlier comment by someone to the effect of why not have Peter resign and Neal be released and let them start their own high-flyin’ private investigative agency.
    Moz and El and June and even (hopefully) Sara and Diana could all be a part of it in some way or another.
    I would love for the synopsis of the show to evolve and not have to stay as it has always been – why can’t it evolve – what a great new concept – kinda like 1 show becoming 2 without it ending!

46. Mauricio says:

Hey, you are forgetting about Mozzie. Everybody is thinking about Neal’s engagement with Sara, having a happy live and maybe working in FBI. But, before everything, Neal and Moz are truly friends, they are a team. Moz deserve a good ending too, and maybe close to Neal.

47. joanne t says:

They totally gotta renew White Collar, absolutely love the show and Matt Bomer.
    I always look so forward to each episode, a brilliant show and cast, love the character
    Neal Caffrey and the relationship between him and Peter.
    It’s funny before I watched the final episode, I thought that the final episode have
    Rebecca kidnap Neal and take him to another country.
    Then Peter and the team searching for him, also with help from Mozzie.
    Love the comment by Ananda , yes! Neal and Peter with their own detective agency.
    Please please please I need season 6, gotta know who has kidnapped Neal and what
    do they want with him.

48. Maryana says:

Is it just me or the driver of the van resembles Mozzie?

49. Pame says:

I googled white collar season 5 episodes just to make sure there were only 13 (before I finish watching the whole season) I noticed a link to this article and the title said “White Collar season 5 finale recap-neal kidnapped-tvline” WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU PUT THAT ON THE LINK!! I would never click on a recap website because I know there are spoilers but you put it in the title!! I never had a choice. Ok I may be over reacting right now but seriously, be more careful next time.

50. Alex Wright says:

I was hoping that Peter and Neal would crack some of the FBI most wanted list. I was excited about them hunting down people off the Wanted list together. When they Promoted Peter and put the idea of him moving to Washington I was kind of annoyed as I feel that was signalling the end of their partnership and foreshadowing the end of the series. Hopefully they will continue till season 8 and keep things fresh, I would like to have more about them taking down Neal’s fathers old division of crooked cop, exposing their corruption