GLAAD Media Awards: Orphan Black, OITNB, Supernatural and The Fosters Among Nominees

Orphan Black CosimaNominations for the 25th Annual GLAAD Media Awards were announced Thursday morning, and Orphan Black, Orange Is the New Black, The Fosters and Brooklyn Nine-Nine were among the first-time TV nominees.

RELATED | Fox, ABC, ABC Family Top Study on LGBT Inclusion; NBC Has Fewest LGBT Characters

The awards — which recognize outstanding images of the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender) community — will be handed out on April 12 (in Los Angeles) and May 3 (in New York City).

Winners in recent years have included Modern Family, Smash, Drop Dead Diva, True Blood, 30 Rock, The New Normal, Horror Story: Asylum and Raising Hope.

The full list of this year’s TV nominees follows; the complete round-up can be found at GLAAD.org.

OUTSTANDING DRAMA SERIES
The Fosters (ABC Family)
Grey’s Anatomy (ABC)
Orphan Black (BBC America)
Pretty Little Liars (ABC Family)
Shameless (Showtime)

OUTSTANDING COMEDY SERIES
Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Fox)
Glee (Fox)
Modern Family (ABC)
Orange Is the New Black (Netflix)
Please Like Me (Pivot)

OUTSTANDING INDIVIDUAL EPISODE (in a series without a regular LGBT character)
The Soul Man, “Bride and Prejudice”
Supernatural, “LARP and the Real Girl”
Drop Dead Diva, “Secret Lives”
Elementary, “Snow Angels”
Necessary Roughness, “There’s the Door”

OUTSTANDING DAILY DRAMA
Days of Our Lives (NBC)

OUTSTANDING TV-MOVIE OR MINI-SERIES
Behind the Candelabra (HBO)
In the Flesh (BBC America)

OUTSTANDING REALITY PROGRAM
Big Freedia: Queen of Bounce (Fuse)
Cyndi Lauper: Still So Unusual (WE tv)
Dream School (Sundance Channel)
Project Runway (Lifetime)
Small Town Security (AMC)

OUTSTANDING TALK SHOW EPISODE
The Ricki Lake Show, “Are Gay Parents Different?”
Oprah’s Next Chapter, “First Openly Gay NBA Player Jason Collins and his Family”
The Ellen DeGeneres Show, “Fred Rosser”
Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell, “Laverne Cox”
Raising McCain, “Modern Family Values”

OUTSTANDING TV JOURNALISM | NEWSMAGAZINE
Anderson Cooper 360 (CNN), “Chris to Kristin: A Navy Seal’s Secret”
The Stream (Al Jazeera America), “India’s Third Gender”
E:60 (ESPN), “The Rebounder: The Kenneth Faried Story”
20/20 (ABC), “Transgender at 11: Listening to Jazz”
To the Contrary (PBS), “The Welcoming Movement”

OUTSTANDING TV JOURNALISM SEGMENT
MSNBC Live (MSNBC), “Gay Rights at Work”
Starting Point (CNN), “Portman Reverses Position on Gay Marriage”
Melissa Harris-Perry (MSNBC), “Pride & Prejudice”
The Last Word with Lawrence O’Donnell (MSNBC), “Scouts Dishonor”
The Rachel Maddow Show (MSNBC), “Wild Blue Yonder: Scott Hines”

1. CC says:

Well, I guess Days of our Lives is winning its category.

2. Kissan says:

The Fosters and Orange Is The New Black FTW!!!

3. Jax says:

If The Fosters doesn’t win then there is no justice. You can’t get a more “outstanding representation of the LGBT community” that that.

4. April says:

Aww…Cosima is my favorite clone and I’m happy the show is getting recognized for her character. Still, I think The Fosters should totally win this.

• Kat says:

I assumed this was for the portrayal of Felix. I totally forgot about Cosima.

• April says:

D’oh! I totally forgot about Felix. I was just so excited from the picture above.

• Elliot says:

I hope it was for Cosima, Felix is a over the top stereotype.

• Geo says:

Oh, I strongly disagree. Felix actually subverts the usual tv stereotype– usually we get simply the sassy, sexless femme gay sidekick. But Orphan Black has made clear that while Felix proudly has femme qualities, he’s is 1) tough and streetwise and 2) highly sexual. It’s the combo of all that Felix is (and Jordan Gavaris’ performance) that takes the usual stereotype and twists it into something else– a quality that Orphan Black is good with in many aspects.

• Leigh says:

This category is like picking between favorite pets. Cosima and Felix for the win, though. Won’t mind if “The Fosters” takes it, but I am obsessed with “Orphan Black”; that show needs some love.

5. Alan says:

brooklyn nine nine has been brilliant in its depiction of captain holt, thats a deserved winner for sure. and orphan black has a really well written relationship between cosima and delphine so that should win too.

6. Deb says:

Oh my gosh, Stef and Lena are such an awesome couple. It’s The Fosters all the way!

7. Adam says:

I am so happy to see Please Like Me get a nomination! That was one of my favorite shows from 2013, and one of the most realistic and relatable (for me) portrayals of gay youth. Although Orange is the New Black was my top favorite from last year, and I love Brooklyn Nine-Nine a lot as well. (And hoorah for Orphan Black, too!)

8. EJ386 says:

I might get a lot of hate for it but I love the story of Ian and Mickey. It’s over the top and aggressive, but it feels so real and both are amazing actors. That said I agree that The Fosters should probably win. It’s a good show and positive contribution to queer representation on TV. Still I would rather watch Shameless…

9. Mikael says:

I couldn’t believe Supernatural was on here, but I had forgotten that Charlie was a lesbian and Crowley is bi.

10. EJ says:

What makes Stef and Lena so great is that they are so NORMAL. They are not over the top, not in your face, not overly dramatic and most of all not perfect. They are also 100% believable as a committed couple in a loving relationship and best of all, they are two people I would enjoy spending time with.

11. Not a big shock on the Brooklyn nod. Captain Holt being gay hasn’t really been played for laughs (aside from Peralta not realizing that he was gay with all the giant, obvious clues) and a couple of times it’s been pointed out to have caused him problems despite being a fairly effective captain. I’m not the best of judges when it comes to respectful depictions but that seems pretty good.

12. AJ says:

How is The Carrie Diaries NOT nominated??!! The whole Walt storyline is one of the best things of the show! It’s a shame that the show is truly underrated!!

13. TVPeong says:

I’m surprised that Scandal wasn’t nominated. Cyrus and James’s relationship has been a major factor in the show

14. emster says:

So once these shows are nominated, is the winner supposed to be chosen based on how they represent lgbt characters, or on how good the show is overall? Just curious.

15. Ella says:

Hahaha, I genuinely thought Supernatural would be because of Destiel <3

16. SEO says:

I like to share knowledge that I’ve accrued through the season to assist improve team overall performance.

17. Flossie says:

Excellent enthusiastic synthetic vision just for detail and may anticipate problems prior
    to they take place.