Pilot Scoop: CW Orders Rob Thomas' iZombie — Plus, Supernatural Spin-Off Gets a Title

Get More: Pilots

izombieThe dead remain very much alive at The CW.

The network formally extended a pilot order to iZombie, a potential series based on the DC Comics property adapted by Veronica Mars creator Rob Thomas and his frequent collaborator Diane Rugierro, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Scoop on This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s Starring In Them

Here’s the official logline: “A med student-turned-zombie takes a job in the coroner’s office to gain access to the brains she must reluctantly eat to maintain her humanity, but with each brain she consumes, she inherits the corpse’s memories. With the help of her medical examiner boss and a police detective, she solves homicide cases in order to quiet the disturbing voices in her head.”

Additionally, The CW in-the-works Supernatural spin-off will be called Supernatural: Tribes. The offshoot, which will air as a regular episode of Supernatural this spring, will explore the clashing hunter and monster cultures of Chicago.

Comments (46)

• iZombie is a terrible title.

Comment by Eli – January 29, 2014 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Supernatural: Tribes”, too. LOL, lame.

Comment by Brio – January 29, 2014 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Especially since it has nothing to do with the show. iZombie sounds like the show has something to do with technology. Like they’re downloading brains or turn into zombies whenever “Thriller” plays our something.

Comment by dude – January 29, 2014 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the zombie pilot looks interesting. not sure about the spn spin-off because i’m not sure about spn anymore ahaha

Comment by joão pedro sampaio (@joaotc) – January 29, 2014 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • IZombie reminds me of Tru Calling, but is probably nothing like that. I just binged all of Veronica Mars, so I’m excited for another Rob Thomas creation.

Comment by Lysh – January 29, 2014 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow! We must be twins separated at birth. I just binged the entire Veronica Mars series as well, and when I read the description of iZombie, the first thing I thought was “Tru Calling”.

Comment by Blackfel – January 29, 2014 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • High five, twin!

Comment by Lysh – January 29, 2014 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Tru Calling meets Warm Bodies. That’s what it is.

Comment by Steven – January 29, 2014 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I immediately thought of Tru Calling too! And I’m still not over it not getting a decent ending.

Comment by Mikael – January 30, 2014 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not even joking, having seen Veronica Mars years ago (and still feeling devastated by its cancellation) I just re-watched/binge-watched the entire series to prep for the movie.. AND I immediately thought Tru Calling too! Rob Thomas & Diane Rugierro is a winning combo. I’ll tune in if it gets picked up, but hopefully they’ll come up with a new name. As evidenced by Cougar Town, the name of a series can work against the show.

Comment by Will – January 30, 2014 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Supernatural: Tribes? #wut

Comment by Elyse – January 29, 2014 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fan of the comics and I can’t stop being annoyed that they had to make her work for a medical examiner. She’s a gravedigger in the comics and that is immediately a more unique thing to experience in the story. I hope this is a decent adaptation.

Comment by Keysha C. (@Lady_Snark) – January 29, 2014 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When I saw this on Twitter I read it too fast and was really confused that Rob Zombie was making a CW show.

Comment by Christy – January 29, 2014 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto on Rob Zombie though via email alert and I went so far as to be confused that RZ was involved with VmArs before d’oh!

Comment by Megalion – January 29, 2014 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still hoping for an Hourman Pilot pickup.

Comment by Zorkel – January 29, 2014 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking forward to Supernatural: Tribes!

Comment by alistaircrane – January 29, 2014 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Supernatural spin-off title is horrible!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Ruby – January 29, 2014 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I might watch the pilot of the Supernatural spin off if it gets picked up but I watch Supernatural for Sam and Dean (Jared and Jensen) and the relationship between the brothers so I probably won’t be interested in an new cast of people. (Criminal Minds spin-off)

Comment by Linda – January 29, 2014 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hear you on the Criminal minds spin off it was horrible!

Comment by Cheryl – January 29, 2014 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will be interesting to see how deep CW will go with the iZombie pilot I mean it’s pretty damaged, eating brains ect. I predict a limited order pick up if it happens and replaced in spring with The100 which seems to be a really interesting show. Never watched Supernatural.

Comment by Maki – January 29, 2014 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Supernatural Spin-Off” isn’t the title?! That would’ve been SO cool…

Comment by James – January 29, 2014 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And definitely would have fit in with the meta nature of the show. :)

Comment by Brooke – January 30, 2014 04:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • something without Jared & Jensen? I`m not so sure:/
    I hope Jeremy Carver go to that spin-off & leave our boys alone & we raise money, petition, everything to get Kripke back

Comment by mani – January 29, 2014 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kripke has been gone since season 5 (in fact his idea was to end the show there too), so that would have to be a pretty huge amount of money to even get him to consider coming back. And let’s be honest, the CW wouldn’t be able to afford him at this point.

Comment by Em – January 29, 2014 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Carver is the one responsible for giving us our show and boys back and better than ever Where as Kripke screwed the show and the characters in Seasons 4 and 5 when he got caught up in Angel mania and lost sight of what this show is about the brothers,their relationship,their journey. Carver has made it the story of Sam and Dean again and thats exactly why the ratings are rising

Comment by Cheryl – January 29, 2014 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Kripke was the best and seasons 4 and 5 were fantastic. And season 8, 9 are angel heavy.

Comment by RJ – January 29, 2014 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The brothers were still front and center in seasons 4 & 5, which were easily the peak of the show. In fact their journey was never more front and center than in seasons 4 & 5. While Carver is better than Gamble, the problem with Carver is he recycles too many things from the first 5 seasons. A lot of the conflicts we see going on now are conflicts we’ve already seen and it’s becoming more and more obvious the show really should’ve ended after season 5. As for the ratings? Season 4 has the 2nd highest ratings since the move to CW, so it’s not like there was a lack in fan interest and in the last 2 episodes of Season 9, they’ve only reached what the average for season 5 was. It wasn’t the angel plot (which btw Carver is continuing) that drove fans away. It was 2 terrible seasons by Gamble and one very slow season by Carver. Season 9 has gotten a little better now (although the first half was awful) but it’s still nowhere near the Kripke seasons.

Comment by tabularasa – January 29, 2014 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Season 4 was basically designed to tear Sam and Dean apart. I enjoyed season 4 (season 5 was a trainwreck and had so much squandered potential), but I felt like the show was really tired of Sam and Dean at the time, and all but destroyed them, especially Sam with the demon blood story. It’s too bad, as I loved their bond in the early seasons. I think Kripke just didn’t have any real understanding of how his ideas translated onscreen, which has also happened at his grindingly mediocre Revolution.

Comment by Peter J – January 29, 2014 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “iZombie” sounds like it could be a fun mix of concept, character and creator/adaptor.

Comment by C – January 29, 2014 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • iZombie got me interested at “adapted by Veronica Mars creator Rob Thomas” tbh.

Comment by Jo – January 29, 2014 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Supernatural: Tribes?

WTF is this CSI:Nebraska now?

I’m game for a Spin-Off but lets “campfire” and get this show fixed up a bit better in the ol’ nomenclature department, otherwise this series is going to be Dead On Arrival.

Comment by Castiel – January 29, 2014 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Tribes just sounds strange, and it’s not going to make people think of Chicago. I hope they change it. The Supernatural part is probably to make sure viewers know the shows are under the same umbrella, but unless they have SPN people on the show, no one will care about the title, so there’s no point.

Comment by Peter J – January 29, 2014 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Without Jared and Jensen there is no Supernatural. They need to come up with another name. Doesn’t really matter. I will be too busy looking for Jared’s next big show/movie.

Comment by sterling – January 29, 2014 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • New Rob Thomas pilot? Well that is a reason to Party Down!

Comment by Zach – January 29, 2014 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When I saw this description thought it was a book that I read called “My Life as a White Trash Zombies” by Diana Rowland.

Comment by Dave – January 29, 2014 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m glad I’m not the only one!

Comment by Lianne – January 30, 2014 06:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is that the title of a never-produced Halloween episode of iCarly?

Comment by steven – January 29, 2014 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neither show interests me much.

Comment by Ally Oop – January 29, 2014 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • iZombie sounds like a pile of poo

Comment by Regis – January 29, 2014 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are you sure that Supernatural: Tribes isn’t just a working title? I mean, really, that’s completely horrid.

Comment by Joey – January 30, 2014 12:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tru Calling with brain-eating! Awesome.

Comment by Smeagol – January 30, 2014 05:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Both titles are terrible, IMO. Not planning to watch either of these.

Comment by Daniel – January 30, 2014 05:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will not be watching either!
    I am excited about the Flash though.

Comment by sarah – January 30, 2014 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. Another new TV show on a network which barely gets 2 million viewers each week.

Comment by Bob Johnson – January 30, 2014 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why are people unwilling to watch a Supernatural spinoff without the Winchesters? It isn’t like they’re ending Supernatural. Sam and Dean will still be around, so why essentially boycott the show?
    Supernatural has always been great because of strong characters and strong stories. If that is true of this new show, I will watch. In fact, I watch many shows that don’t star Jared and Jensen.
    But if Jo isn’t the star of this show, I won’t watch. (/sarcasm)

Comment by Drew – January 30, 2014 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post