Pilot Scoop: CW Orders Rob Thomas' iZombie — Plus, Supernatural Spin-Off Gets a Title

izombieThe dead remain very much alive at The CW.

The network formally extended a pilot order to iZombie, a potential series based on the DC Comics property adapted by Veronica Mars creator Rob Thomas and his frequent collaborator Diane Rugierro, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Scoop on This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s Starring In Them

Here’s the official logline: “A med student-turned-zombie takes a job in the coroner’s office to gain access to the brains she must reluctantly eat to maintain her humanity, but with each brain she consumes, she inherits the corpse’s memories. With the help of her medical examiner boss and a police detective, she solves homicide cases in order to quiet the disturbing voices in her head.”

Additionally, The CW in-the-works Supernatural spin-off will be called Supernatural: Tribes. The offshoot, which will air as a regular episode of Supernatural this spring, will explore the clashing hunter and monster cultures of Chicago.

1. Eli says:

iZombie is a terrible title.

• Brio says:

“Supernatural: Tribes”, too. LOL, lame.

• dude says:

Especially since it has nothing to do with the show. iZombie sounds like the show has something to do with technology. Like they’re downloading brains or turn into zombies whenever “Thriller” plays our something.

2. the zombie pilot looks interesting. not sure about the spn spin-off because i’m not sure about spn anymore ahaha

3. Lysh says:

IZombie reminds me of Tru Calling, but is probably nothing like that. I just binged all of Veronica Mars, so I’m excited for another Rob Thomas creation.

• Blackfel says:

Wow! We must be twins separated at birth. I just binged the entire Veronica Mars series as well, and when I read the description of iZombie, the first thing I thought was “Tru Calling”.

• Mikael says:

I immediately thought of Tru Calling too! And I’m still not over it not getting a decent ending.

• Will says:

Not even joking, having seen Veronica Mars years ago (and still feeling devastated by its cancellation) I just re-watched/binge-watched the entire series to prep for the movie.. AND I immediately thought Tru Calling too! Rob Thomas & Diane Rugierro is a winning combo. I’ll tune in if it gets picked up, but hopefully they’ll come up with a new name. As evidenced by Cougar Town, the name of a series can work against the show.

4. Elyse says:

Supernatural: Tribes? #wut

5. Fan of the comics and I can’t stop being annoyed that they had to make her work for a medical examiner. She’s a gravedigger in the comics and that is immediately a more unique thing to experience in the story. I hope this is a decent adaptation.

6. Christy says:

When I saw this on Twitter I read it too fast and was really confused that Rob Zombie was making a CW show.

• Megalion says:

Ditto on Rob Zombie though via email alert and I went so far as to be confused that RZ was involved with VmArs before d’oh!

7. Zorkel says:

Still hoping for an Hourman Pilot pickup.

8. alistaircrane says:

Looking forward to Supernatural: Tribes!

9. Ruby says:

Supernatural spin-off title is horrible!!!!!!!!!!

10. Linda says:

I might watch the pilot of the Supernatural spin off if it gets picked up but I watch Supernatural for Sam and Dean (Jared and Jensen) and the relationship between the brothers so I probably won’t be interested in an new cast of people. (Criminal Minds spin-off)

11. Maki says:

Will be interesting to see how deep CW will go with the iZombie pilot I mean it’s pretty damaged, eating brains ect. I predict a limited order pick up if it happens and replaced in spring with The100 which seems to be a really interesting show. Never watched Supernatural.

12. James says:

“Supernatural Spin-Off” isn’t the title?! That would’ve been SO cool…

13. mani says:

something without Jared & Jensen? I`m not so sure:/
    I hope Jeremy Carver go to that spin-off & leave our boys alone & we raise money, petition, everything to get Kripke back

• Em says:

Kripke has been gone since season 5 (in fact his idea was to end the show there too), so that would have to be a pretty huge amount of money to even get him to consider coming back. And let’s be honest, the CW wouldn’t be able to afford him at this point.

• Cheryl says:

Carver is the one responsible for giving us our show and boys back and better than ever Where as Kripke screwed the show and the characters in Seasons 4 and 5 when he got caught up in Angel mania and lost sight of what this show is about the brothers,their relationship,their journey. Carver has made it the story of Sam and Dean again and thats exactly why the ratings are rising

• RJ says:

Kripke was the best and seasons 4 and 5 were fantastic. And season 8, 9 are angel heavy.

• tabularasa says:

The brothers were still front and center in seasons 4 & 5, which were easily the peak of the show. In fact their journey was never more front and center than in seasons 4 & 5. While Carver is better than Gamble, the problem with Carver is he recycles too many things from the first 5 seasons. A lot of the conflicts we see going on now are conflicts we’ve already seen and it’s becoming more and more obvious the show really should’ve ended after season 5. As for the ratings? Season 4 has the 2nd highest ratings since the move to CW, so it’s not like there was a lack in fan interest and in the last 2 episodes of Season 9, they’ve only reached what the average for season 5 was. It wasn’t the angel plot (which btw Carver is continuing) that drove fans away. It was 2 terrible seasons by Gamble and one very slow season by Carver. Season 9 has gotten a little better now (although the first half was awful) but it’s still nowhere near the Kripke seasons.

• Peter J says:

Season 4 was basically designed to tear Sam and Dean apart. I enjoyed season 4 (season 5 was a trainwreck and had so much squandered potential), but I felt like the show was really tired of Sam and Dean at the time, and all but destroyed them, especially Sam with the demon blood story. It’s too bad, as I loved their bond in the early seasons. I think Kripke just didn’t have any real understanding of how his ideas translated onscreen, which has also happened at his grindingly mediocre Revolution.

14. C says:

“iZombie” sounds like it could be a fun mix of concept, character and creator/adaptor.

15. Jo says:

iZombie got me interested at “adapted by Veronica Mars creator Rob Thomas” tbh.

16. Castiel says:

Supernatural: Tribes?

WTF is this CSI:Nebraska now?

I’m game for a Spin-Off but lets “campfire” and get this show fixed up a bit better in the ol’ nomenclature department, otherwise this series is going to be Dead On Arrival.

• Peter J says:

Tribes just sounds strange, and it’s not going to make people think of Chicago. I hope they change it. The Supernatural part is probably to make sure viewers know the shows are under the same umbrella, but unless they have SPN people on the show, no one will care about the title, so there’s no point.

17. sterling says:

Without Jared and Jensen there is no Supernatural. They need to come up with another name. Doesn’t really matter. I will be too busy looking for Jared’s next big show/movie.

18. Zach says:

New Rob Thomas pilot? Well that is a reason to Party Down!

19. Dave says:

When I saw this description thought it was a book that I read called “My Life as a White Trash Zombies” by Diana Rowland.

20. steven says:

Is that the title of a never-produced Halloween episode of iCarly?

21. Ally Oop says:

Neither show interests me much.

22. Regis says:

iZombie sounds like a pile of poo

23. Joey says:

Are you sure that Supernatural: Tribes isn’t just a working title? I mean, really, that’s completely horrid.

24. Smeagol says:

Tru Calling with brain-eating! Awesome.

25. Daniel says:

Both titles are terrible, IMO. Not planning to watch either of these.

26. sarah says:

I will not be watching either!
    I am excited about the Flash though.

27. Bob Johnson says:

Wow. Another new TV show on a network which barely gets 2 million viewers each week.

28. Drew says:

Why are people unwilling to watch a Supernatural spinoff without the Winchesters? It isn’t like they’re ending Supernatural. Sam and Dean will still be around, so why essentially boycott the show?
    Supernatural has always been great because of strong characters and strong stories. If that is true of this new show, I will watch. In fact, I watch many shows that don’t star Jared and Jensen.
    But if Jo isn’t the star of this show, I won’t watch. (/sarcasm)