Criminal Minds Episode 200 Photos: Prentiss 'Drops Everything' to Join the Search for JJ

CBS’ Criminal Minds will call in for reinforcements — namely, in the form of a familiar face — when Episode 200 tackles the race against time to find kidnapped JJ. And TVLine has a flurry of photos from the milestone hour, peppered with scoopy quotes from returning player Paget Brewster.

RELATED | Criminal Minds Preview: A Shocking Twist Sets the Stage for Episode 200

As the episode “200″ opens (next Wednesday at 9/8c), Hotch & Co. pull out all the stops — including perhaps a few they technically should not have — to acquire intel on who might have grabbed JJ at the close of last week’s episode, and why. Bumping up against “For Your Eyes Only” levels of government bureaucracy, they are somewhat left to fend on their own to find one of their own, though not without a helping hand from former colleague Emily Prentiss (played by Brewster).

RELATED | Criminal Minds Episode 200 Scoop on Hotch and Prentiss

Check out these photos from the episode, including a sampling of quotes from TVLine’s upcoming in-depth Q&A with Brewster.

Comments (58)

• Brewster says she was “thrilled that I got to do so much [...]“

Dreadful words to be read about an episode that should be about THE TEAM, the ACTUAL team (no matter which character the episode plot revolves around).

She left the show, and her character left the BAU; no reason whatsoever for her to have as much screentime as it looks like she is going to have in this milestone episode. If what it looks, is what happens, will be a grievous mistake on the part of the writer and the producers. Prentiss is the past… What will the team be, wallpaper?

Comment by Victoria (@Kitten0409) – January 29, 2014 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The whole team was close friends with her. They could always use an extra hand to help them find JJ. She’s a beloved character and it’s great that the actress wanted to return. Stop being a stick in the mud

Comment by Kaycee – January 29, 2014 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well if it’s ABOUT the team in which she was in for SIX years then I assume the TEAM would treat her as ONE of the TEAM members hence WHY she “got to do so much”. Saying that, I highly doubt Prentiss would have have been called in unless they needed her, so that’s another reason as to why she probably has more screen time.
      On another note, if you understood why Brewster even left the show to begin with instead of renewing her contract than maybe you wouldn’t be so goddamn snide about ONE guest appearance?

Comment by JJM – January 29, 2014 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I know she gave one clear reason (wanted to do comedy), and another that was not so clearly stated, but was there (how badly she had been treated during the S6-S7 debacle).

The 1st reason is laudable, and because she has great comedic timing, I hope she gets her wishes.

The 2nd reason is more on the idiotic side; once she got the job back (and she had signed the contract that stated she could be brought back if her pilot didn’t pan out!!!), leaving it because of it only means she doesn’t really understands the business she is in and how it works at all.

Comment by Victoria (@Kitten0409) – January 29, 2014 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • DITTO!!!!!!

Comment by Laura P – February 2, 2014 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • My “DITTO” above is in response to JJM post of 1/29/14 @ 10:51 AM PST

Comment by Laura – February 3, 2014 04:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • First of all we have no idea how much screen time “got to do so much” actually translates into. For all you know Paget was only expecting 30 seconds of screen time and was excited to get 5 minutes. Second, there is no reason why her participation means the team will be wallpaper. I’m quite sure she will be interacting with the team. Since you don’t really know what happens how about you calm down until you actually see how it turns out.

Comment by Aimee – January 29, 2014 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • geez…. lighten up a bit and get the stick out of your butt!!!

Comment by fndak – January 29, 2014 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s actually a nice bit of mirrored storytelling considering they brought JJ back (when she was “at the state department”/AJ was off the show) to help find Prentiss when she was missing.
      Glad TPTB can see the bigger picture.

Comment by Tav – January 29, 2014 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow…to each their own I guess. Prentiss was a huge part of Criminal Minds so I would always consider her part of the team. The writers and producers obviously agree otherwise they wouldn’t have asked her back. But as a previous poster said, you don’t know what “so much screen time” actually translates into. There are quite a few returning recurring characters but she’s, as far as I know, the only returning regular. She deserves at least a few minutes in my mind.

Comment by Julie – January 29, 2014 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That is so true! I am mad at Messer because she turned such a milestone into a bad copy or the already bad Alias tv show. There is no doubt JJ will be rescued, and in the meantime the 200 episode will be spend on the unsub, JJ and the new guy, and a lot of characters that are just supporting roles. The team will be there, of course, looking as a bunch of useless agents that ‘need’ the help of Prentiss to ‘save’ JJ. I will definitely record this so I will be able to press fwd to skip the annoying parts and find out if the former main characters (Hotch,, Reid or Morgan) actually get a line or two.

Comment by MF – January 30, 2014 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sounds like someone who has never been a Prentiss fan. Anyone who watches CM knows that often the guest stars and unsubs get the meatiest roles. As a former longtime team member, now guest star, Paget is deserving of as much as the writers give her and more. She will always be a team member and it would be an insult to the many fans who love her and to Paget for the writers to treat her like hired help.

Prentiss is a beloved character as is Paget. The writers will give her and her teammates the treatment they deserve and what most appreciative fans expect. And if we’re lucky, we’ll get Paget back so that we can appreciate her weekly. And whiny fans who don’t like her or it can choose to stop watching; while new fans and those who left with Paget, will make a happy return.

Comment by DawnJ – February 1, 2014 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Paget decided it was time to move on and do something different, so it’s on her, and not the show runner or the CBS. I don’t get why people keep asking CM runners for Paget to come back. She is ok with just visiting, but she doesn’t want to be back for good, and I think we should all accept that it is her decision, whether you like her character or not.

Comment by Maria – February 1, 2014 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You really don’t know what’s happening with Paget. Just like she decided to leave, she could decide to come back. There were a few naysayers who kept saying Paget was gone and would never come back. Well, you were wrong about that. Paget could decide she wants to come back and Erica and CBS would be foolish not to welcome her back with open arms. I know most fans will.

Comment by DawnJ – February 2, 2014 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow. Well for all the non Prentiss fans out there,I just have one question: why is it that you are all having a fit because paget may get a little more screen time then usual, yet you don’t seem to care that the entire milestone is about JJ!?! Prenntiss was a HUGE part of CM be appreciative that she is coming back! Its ON?E EPISODE my god, calm down now, season 9 will still be about all mighty JJ. Not Prentiss, even if she did come back, its funny how you can bitch about one character getting a lot of screen time but not say a word that the other (JJ) is getting the ENTIRE EPISODE!!! Wow.

Comment by Kate – February 2, 2014 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t mind seeing Prentiss, but since this episode will be about JJ, I bet she won’t even get interesting lines. I still will record it, to see her, Hotch and Reid. Morgan will definitely share some scenes with JJ, so I will have to skip them. I wish JJ would have gone and Prentiss would still be around…

Comment by Maria – February 2, 2014 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, if you don’t have anything “nice” to say about Paget, then zip it shut. She is “very missed” by her fans & Jeanne Tripplehorn CAN NEVER live up to Paget’s talent.

Comment by Laura P – February 2, 2014 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sooooooo looking forward to this episode. I don’t care about all the changes, JJ’s still mupy favourite and I’m looking forward to learning more about her and hopefully get some follow up after 200!

Comment by Beth – January 29, 2014 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I personally don’t see what all the whoop to do is about regarding Prentiss but whatever. I like the show and I’ll be watching with or without her there.

Comment by wrstlgirl – January 29, 2014 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why has CM been off for two weeks? Band why did Paget leave to begin with?

Comment by Forwardad – January 29, 2014 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I suspect CBS wanted to save the big 200th episode for February sweeps. As for why Paget left…it’s a bit more complicated than this but if you want a quick boiled down answer it’s because of two things: 1) She wasn’t happy with how CBS treated her and AJ Cook during season 6 and 2) Paget wanted to do something different and get back into comedy.

Comment by LDSK – January 29, 2014 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She hasn’t exactly been busy since she left.

Comment by HAP – January 29, 2014 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • She has been busy. She has been auditioning for shows. She even got a role in a pilot last year but it wasn’t picked up by a network. Just because you don’t see her on TV doesn’t mean she isn’t trying.

Comment by Aimee – January 30, 2014 04:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • She’s also been working on The Thrilling Adventure Hour stage show, did an episode of Drunk History on Comedy Central, competed on an episode of Hollywood Game Night, and will appear on this Thursdays episode of Community.

Comment by EJ – January 30, 2014 09:51 AM PDT
    • CM was not off for 2 weeks.The last two episodes were brand new ones.Did it perhaps get preempted in your area by basketball.That’s what happened to me with Garcia’s episode.
      I ended up having to watch it online.

Comment by Debra – January 29, 2014 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • As much as I hate being interrupted by basketball games, Garcia’s episode made me appreciate that sport again…

Comment by MF – January 30, 2014 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is that Tahmoh Penikket dead on the floor?

Comment by JulieAnn – January 29, 2014 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was wondering about that!! does look like him…with blood pool by his head.

Comment by sara – January 30, 2014 03:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait to see Prentiss again! It will be nice to have her back for a bit and to see her interact with the team again.

Comment by LDSK – January 29, 2014 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy to have the old team back together, even if just for an episode. While I’d love a surprise appearance by Gideon I know it will never happen because of how Mandy feels about the violence on the show.

Comment by Steven – January 29, 2014 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was never the biggest fan of Prentiss. I get why she’s there and I’m still hoping we get more focus on JJ and how the team all link into JJ’s past/arc.

I think the writers have always favoured Prentiss over many of the other characters, especially the other female characters and she has a lot of fans, but one episode is enough for me. I’ve preferred the show since Prentiss has left, season 9 has been awesome and is definitely an improvement on 6,7 &8. I love Blake and I hope we do get some good scenes between the two brunettes.

But I’ve got my fingers crossed for more JJ and team scenes rather than Prentiss saving the day and being all Superspy Prentiss.

Comment by Beth – January 29, 2014 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • From what I’ve seen and read on both AJ and Paget’s twitter I am fairly certain we will be seeing LOTS of JJ. Also, everything I’ve read on this site and other entertainment sites seems to indicate that this is a big JJ episode that focuses on her link to everyone on the team. Obviously we won’t know until we see the episode but I really don’t think it’s going to be “Super Prentiss.” I think it will be JJ heavy with some nice Team moments.

Comment by AKC – January 29, 2014 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The episode is not “Super Prentiss,” actually. (Though she does kick some butt toward the very end.)

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – January 29, 2014 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Woo!

Comment by Beth – January 29, 2014 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Thanks Matt! That’s good to hear (actually, both of those things make me happy!)

Comment by AKC – January 29, 2014 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Thanks, Matt.
          The Prentiss denigrators need to chill out. We get it, you “never really liked Prentiss/understood the hype” etc, etc, ad nauseum. Well plenty of people do appreciate her, and since she’s only back for one ep try to have some perspective and stfu.

Comment by Tav – January 29, 2014 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Ditto.
            Geez it’s ONE episode. Some are reacting like it’s suddenly going to turn into the Prentiss Show. I’m personally happy that she’s back, even if it’s for a short arc. I love her and I can’t wait to watch this episode, especially since it’s a JJ-centric(ish) one.

Comment by Olivia – January 29, 2014 03:36 PM PDT
        • I love it when you join in the conversations :D. Especially when you drop in little tidbits like that.
          I don’t care who gets more or less screentime, myself. I just like the idea of Prentiss reuniting with her teammates (and getting to meet Alex-that’ll be nice), and everyone working together. And it’ll be cool to learn more backstory about JJ as well-I like the idea of them filling in what all she was up to during her time away in season 6. Can’t wait for the episode, should be exciting.

Comment by Angela – January 29, 2014 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This episode will be about ‘super JJ’… Big yawn…

Comment by MF – January 30, 2014 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CM has been kind of blah lately so I’m really excited for this episode. Learning the about what JJ did when she was gone and having Prentiss back is just the kick in the pants this season needs. I think it will be great

Comment by April – January 29, 2014 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everybody needs to stop complaining. It’s going to be a great episode. Just enjoy it!

Comment by Dav – January 29, 2014 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Getting to see Prentiss again and having the very attractive Tahmoh Penikket on my TV screen….what’s not to love?!?

Comment by Casey – January 29, 2014 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is basically just a reboot of “Lauren” The only difference is that Emily and JJ have switched places.I’m sick and tired of MESSer and her “Alias” fixation and seemingly not being able to tell the difference between the 2 shows.
    First it was Emily and now it’s JJ. Gee I wonder which team member is going to be next in accommodating MESSer and her “Alias” fixation.

Comment by Debra – January 29, 2014 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah I’m with you. I still like the show but I do wish they would stop turning everyone into super spies. Profiling Serial Killers is quite interesting enough thank you.

Comment by Abby – January 29, 2014 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It will be Morgan. Both JJ and Morgan are her favourites, so many good lines and a lot of screen time has been delivered to those two characters since she was promoted to show runner… Even the criminal minds facebook page is full of Pictures portraying both Morgan and Shemar Moore…

Comment by MF – January 30, 2014 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about JJ’s husband? Are they still together? Will he be in the episode?

Comment by Ange – January 29, 2014 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, they are still married and there are both Will and Henry in this episode.

Comment by A proud AJ&JJ fan ღ (@AdorkableAU) – January 29, 2014 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, Will and Henry will be there, as well as JJ, and Cruz, and Strauss, and Keving helping Garcia, and Anderson doing who knows what, and Prentiss coming back from the UK,… And of course the unsub, and the SUVs. Oh, and maybe you will see some BAU members doing cameos. Don’t you dare to blink or you’ll miss them!

Comment by Maria – January 30, 2014 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Strauss is kind of dead so she won’t be there at all….do you even watch the show?

Comment by GS – January 31, 2014 05:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Um, actually, Strauss WILL be in the episode. She’ll just appear in “flashback” form. It’s been mentioned in various articles that she’ll make an appearance.

Comment by Angela – January 31, 2014 06:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It is a well known spoiler that Strauss will be there, because they are doing a flashback scene…

Comment by Maria – January 31, 2014 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for this, TVline.
    I love Emily so much and certainly excited to see her again on screen, with her team, and I love JJ/Emily’s friendship so very much you bet I’m excited for new scenes (and I love that JJ came back to help them find and save Emily and now it’s the other way around, and that their stories seem a bit connected), but yes BIG, BIG JJ episode!! I really can’t wait to find out what JJ was up to when she was away and how it made her real tough. So happy for both JJ&AJ to be getting the big spotlight, she’s been there from the start but never really got the attention like other characters got and her return really, really wasn’t properly explained IMO so I’m so glad (thrilled!) for this.

I really can’t wait for the 200 episode!! I’m sure it will be fantastic and I’m absolutely certain that AJ will be utterly amazing ;)

Comment by A proud AJ&JJ fan ღ (@AdorkableAU) – January 29, 2014 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t watched CM since Paget left and I’m so happy Emily Prentiss is back even if it’s just for one episode! I miss her and I miss Paget!!

AJ deserves her special episode and both of them deserve a shining spot ever since that terrible mistake in season 6. Can’t wait!!

Comment by Sílvia Granger – January 29, 2014 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait to see Emily again! Yay!!!

Comment by Brit – January 30, 2014 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Enough JJ I want an episode with the team and Emily.

Comment by Kate – January 31, 2014 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so excited Prentiss is back. I hope she gets sufficient screen time; but more importantly, I hope TPTB bring her back permanently. There’s been a major void since she left CM.

Comment by colleen – February 1, 2014 05:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I so agree with you Colleen. I miss “Emily” as well. I love the show, but not quite the same without Paget!!!!!!

Comment by Laura – February 3, 2014 04:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t figrue out if I missed something or not so I would appreciate someone helping me understand something. Is this episode..200..supposed to be the very first time the team learns that Prentiss was NOT killed and they had been lied to by JJ and Hotchner? One second Hotch calls her and after the commercial, the team is being briefed by Prentiss who everyone believed was dead and buried? No one gets any explanation, asks any questions, gets angry for all the unneccessary grief, nothing? They just sit there, being briefed by their dead friend without nary a peep? Did I miss an episode where Hotch or JJ explained all the deception to them? The last episode I saw had JJ being kidnapped at the end of it and everyone still thought Prentiss was dead…I thought. Please tell me if I missed an episode. I have been watching the show since it started and if I missed something somewhere please tell me which episode it was so I can find it and watch it.
    Thank you.

Comment by Celeste Achterhof – February 7, 2014 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post