Blind Item Revealed: Recently Killed-Off Actor Set as Lead in Buzzy New Drama Pilot

Ron Perlman Hand of GodIt’s the Blind Item reveal you’ve been (patiently) waiting for!

Back in October, I dangled before you this tantalizing tease:

A prospective new TV pilot just landed a big-time actor as its star, but the up-and-coming producer/writer behind the future series can’t pitch it to a single network. Heck, he can’t even discuss it with anyone — and that’s because there’s a spoiler bomb embedded within the top-secret project. You see, the headliner in question is currently starring on a popular hour-long drama series. And if word were to get out that he has committed himself to a new full-time gig, it could potentially ruin a major upcoming twist: his onscreen death.

Well, I can now confirm that the subject of said blind item is… Sons of Anarchy‘s Ron Perlman.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Scoop on This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s Starring In Them

The actor, whose Clay character was brutally killed off during the FX drama’s recently-concluded sixth season, will star in Hand of God, an hour-long drama pilot penned by Burn Notice EP Ben Watkins (aka the up-and-coming writer) that just found a home at Amazon.

Per Deadline, the project centers on the powerful Judge Harris Pernell (Perlman), a hard-living, law-bending married man with a high-end call girl on the side who has a religious awakening and starts hearing voices through his ventilator-bound son that could be God speaking to him.

World War Z helmer Marc Forster is set to direct.

Thoughts? Admit it — you thought this B.I. had Damian Lewis written all over it. Surprise! Oh, and someday I’ll explain why I couldn’t solve this riddle sooner. It might be worth holding for my memoir.

1. catelyn says:

That is so not who i expected. Wow.

2. F.R. says:

So it wasn’t just a guess after all? I thought of the blind item too immediately when I saw this on deadline, but then I wondered if the writer behind it (Ben Watkins, who has been working on Burn Notice since 2007) qualifies as an up-and-coming writer…

3. Steven says:

Thought it was Damien Lewis.

4. xav says:

People were expecting Clay to live?

5. aa says:

Oh, weird. For sure thought this was Damian Lewis.

6. Carolinagirl says:

What a strange premise!

7. Drew says:

Oh… Really thought it was Damian Lewis. People are more familiar with that actor. Well, thank you! Saw people comment about the blind item yesterday on the spoiler scoop, and now we finally get our answer…. Lol

• Hmm says:

What? No. Come on; Ron Pearlman was Hellboy!!!

• WingsStef says:

Ron Pearlman has been a character action in many movies throughout the years. He had an awesome part of the deliciously campy Pacific Rim. And most of all, ummm, the original Vincent from Beauty & The Beast. (Not a show I watched, I was only seven when the show ended but my parents watched it all the time.) These of course are only a few examples.

• wingsstef says:

Actually I was 7 when it came out, yeah, I just aged myself. Still I was 10 when it ended. He also has done lots of voice work. Both actors are pretty popular, though I have seen more of Ron Pearlman’s stuff to be honest. Looks like the new show might be interesting.

• E.F. Coleman says:

If you’re not kidding, this sounds like something, no one will watch. Do they have to rethink, rewrite this?

8. Maki says:

Underwhelming/anticlimactic.

9. Mamacita says:

Yea! Love Ron Perlman.

10. JJM says:

Wow. Such surprise. Very blind. Much answered. Many reveals. So item.

11. johnhelvete says:

Never understood why so many posters thought it was going to be Damian Lewis. The guy is going to be filming movies for a couple years and than if the right TV project comes along he might do another show.

12. Rac76 says:

Huh..wasn’t expecting him as I don’t watch SOA, but thank you for finally answering the blind item. The suspense was annoying!

13. Alia says:

I don’t think Brody is dead. I thought the blind item was David Morrisey.

14. V says:

Called it. There was no way Clay was going to make it to the final season.

• the girl says:

I guessed that the blind item was about Ron Perlman right after Clay died, but since nothing was announced, other posters kept saying it had to be someone else. This definitely took longer to get resolved than I thought it would.

15. Faster says:

I’m looking forward to Ausiello’s memoir.

16. windy4292 says:

love Ron Perlman and will definitely give anything he is a part of a watch..

17. Try Again says:

I’m like who tf is he ?

18. Sebastian says:

How does a do anything?

19. Judi says:

the HYPE was bigger than the REVEAL

• ChicagoDan says:

That’s for sure. I mean RP was sort of a star on SOA, but not the type of “big” star I imagined. Also, the fact that the series wasn’t even sold at the time of the time item was a missing fact. And now it’s going on Amazon streaming, I presume? Killing off Taraji P. Henson was a FAR bigger shock than RP getting offed in SOA. I don’t think anyone saw that one coming.

• craigbear says:

Wasn’t a “missing fact” that the new series hadn’t been sold yet. Right in the blind item, “can’t pitch it to a single network”.

20. DanielleZ says:

Interesting, even though I never watched SOA. I like Ron Perlman so I’ll probably watch the pilot for the new show.

21. jan bruce says:

So is this a reincarnation of Joan of Arcadia? Doesn’t sound too exciting

22. RyanC says:

Even though it wasn’t about Damian Lewis, I’d assumed it was him so much that I watched the finale waiting for him to die, rather than being surprised by it. Weird how a spoiler for an entirely different show managed to spoil Homeland!

23. Anna says:

Ugh. There are so many others I wish it would have been!

24. Stormy says:

So an actor I don’t care for is off a show I don’t watch and headed for another show I won’t watch? Got it, thanks.

25. Rita price says:

Did Brody really get killed off on Homeland?

26. James D says:

Wow glad to see Ron getting more work so soon I’m a huge fan, the show sounds lame to me though. I will check it out because it has Pearlman in it.

27. neha says:

I don’t watch SOA, but is Ron Perlman considered a “big-time actor”? I don’t even recall seeing his name in the list of guesses!

28. Pati says:

I knew it was going to be him. and just yesterday people were complaining that Ausiello never revealed who the blind item was ha

29. The new show sounds a lot like Touch without Tim Kring’s terrible writing.

30. Karen says:

Where have you people been for the past 30 years? Ron Perlman has been in more movies than most! Ever since Beauty and the Beast in the 80’s! Love him!

• Francine says:

Yeah, it kinds of blows my mind. He’s been around forever. Homeland gets way more recognition than SOA though so I guess I’m not surprised. The only surprise is that his death was supposed to be shocking. I think anyone who watched the show knew his time was coming. But yeah, he definitely qualifies as a big enough actor to fit this.

• cheryl says:

I know it was Perlman when they revealed this blind item. SOA is such a great show and the amount of recognition these actors have gotten from inside “Hollywood” is really great (besides all the award snubs). I knew Clay was going to go, but I also knew he’d get picked up really quick. I’ll watch it because I have never seen Perlman in anything that disappointed me.

31. Vermell McBride says:

I saw Chandra West on General Hospital today. Has she left Grey’s Anatomy?

32. JEF says:

He’s a big name actor?

• cheryl says:

Yeah, in the acting world, Ron Perlman is considered a big time actor. They all don’t have to be Tom Cruise to be “big time”. Directors & producers want to work with Perlman, all of the time.

• Alex says:

LOL, he is NOT a “big name.” He’s a respected actor, he’s a good actor, but he is not a name.

• jenferner8 says:

Oh, he’s “big name” alright. Great actor, well respected, in my book that makes him a big name. He’s gotten respect and fame the good old fashioned way, he worked for it, he earned it. Just because the media shoves certain people down society’s throats doesn’t make them “big names”

33. Jo says:

I really wanted the answer to be Damian Lewis, but after reading the premise of this new show, I’m kinda glad it’s not because I’m not interested in watching it!

Hopefully Damian finds another pilot ASAP, can’t wait to have him back on tv!

34. cheryl says:

So happy they revealed the blind item. I knew it was Clay/Ron though; I could sense it from Episode one. Being that Ron is actually a really big time actor (for almost 30 years..!) I knew someone would scoop him up quickly. So yeah, not shocked about this. Glad I have the heads up, I’d watch anything Ron Perlman is in. He’s a great actor and I always enjoy his work.

35. SonOfCoul says:

“someday I’ll explain why I couldn’t solve this riddle sooner”
    Because they couldn’t sell such a ridiculous premise to a major network like you promised, even despite the presence of the awesome Ron Perlman.

36. im wont to help me
    i m refugee

37. S.britton says:

Would like any info you have on the show “The Glades” Can’t believe no other nerwork picked this up..

38. Pam goodley says:

are they serious with this plot?