Blind Item Revealed: Recently Killed-Off Actor Set as Lead in Buzzy New Drama Pilot

Get More: Blind Item

Ron Perlman Hand of GodIt’s the Blind Item reveal you’ve been (patiently) waiting for!

Back in October, I dangled before you this tantalizing tease:

A prospective new TV pilot just landed a big-time actor as its star, but the up-and-coming producer/writer behind the future series can’t pitch it to a single network. Heck, he can’t even discuss it with anyone — and that’s because there’s a spoiler bomb embedded within the top-secret project. You see, the headliner in question is currently starring on a popular hour-long drama series. And if word were to get out that he has committed himself to a new full-time gig, it could potentially ruin a major upcoming twist: his onscreen death.

Well, I can now confirm that the subject of said blind item is… Sons of Anarchy‘s Ron Perlman.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Scoop on This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s Starring In Them

The actor, whose Clay character was brutally killed off during the FX drama’s recently-concluded sixth season, will star in Hand of God, an hour-long drama pilot penned by Burn Notice EP Ben Watkins (aka the up-and-coming writer) that just found a home at Amazon.

Per Deadline, the project centers on the powerful Judge Harris Pernell (Perlman), a hard-living, law-bending married man with a high-end call girl on the side who has a religious awakening and starts hearing voices through his ventilator-bound son that could be God speaking to him.

World War Z helmer Marc Forster is set to direct.

Thoughts? Admit it — you thought this B.I. had Damian Lewis written all over it. Surprise! Oh, and someday I’ll explain why I couldn’t solve this riddle sooner. It might be worth holding for my memoir.

Comments (73)

• That is so not who i expected. Wow.

Comment by catelyn – January 29, 2014 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meh.

Comment by AGB – January 29, 2014 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My feelings exactly.

Comment by The Beach – January 29, 2014 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I wasn’t bowled over by the idea of it being Damian Lewis and Ron Perlman interests me even less.

Comment by AmbleAlong – January 30, 2014 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So it wasn’t just a guess after all? I thought of the blind item too immediately when I saw this on deadline, but then I wondered if the writer behind it (Ben Watkins, who has been working on Burn Notice since 2007) qualifies as an up-and-coming writer…

Comment by F.R. – January 29, 2014 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thought it was Damien Lewis.

Comment by Steven – January 29, 2014 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People were expecting Clay to live?

Comment by xav – January 29, 2014 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I certainly wasn’t. It was just a matter of time.

Comment by rebecca – January 29, 2014 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, weird. For sure thought this was Damian Lewis.

Comment by aa – January 29, 2014 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a strange premise!

Comment by Carolinagirl – January 29, 2014 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How long until someone calls it “John of Arcadia”?
      Whoops! Too late.

Comment by RockGolf (@rock_golf) – January 29, 2014 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Aww now I miss Joan of Arcadia again :(

Comment by Amy – January 29, 2014 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It sounds kind of similar to Eli Stone as well. Except minus the singing.

Comment by Stephen S. – January 29, 2014 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh… Really thought it was Damian Lewis. People are more familiar with that actor. Well, thank you! Saw people comment about the blind item yesterday on the spoiler scoop, and now we finally get our answer…. Lol

Comment by Drew – January 29, 2014 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What? No. Come on; Ron Pearlman was Hellboy!!!

Comment by Hmm – January 29, 2014 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ron Pearlman has been a character action in many movies throughout the years. He had an awesome part of the deliciously campy Pacific Rim. And most of all, ummm, the original Vincent from Beauty & The Beast. (Not a show I watched, I was only seven when the show ended but my parents watched it all the time.) These of course are only a few examples.

Comment by WingsStef – January 29, 2014 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Actually I was 7 when it came out, yeah, I just aged myself. Still I was 10 when it ended. He also has done lots of voice work. Both actors are pretty popular, though I have seen more of Ron Pearlman’s stuff to be honest. Looks like the new show might be interesting.

Comment by wingsstef – January 29, 2014 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • If you’re not kidding, this sounds like something, no one will watch. Do they have to rethink, rewrite this?

Comment by E.F. Coleman – January 30, 2014 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meh…

Comment by Sarah – January 29, 2014 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Underwhelming/anticlimactic.

Comment by Maki – January 29, 2014 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yea! Love Ron Perlman.

Comment by Mamacita – January 29, 2014 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. Such surprise. Very blind. Much answered. Many reveals. So item.

Comment by JJM – January 29, 2014 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Doge!

Comment by Ani – January 29, 2014 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I went to give you an upvote, then I remembered where I was. Take one anyway.

Comment by Soopah Soopah Soopah – January 29, 2014 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Never understood why so many posters thought it was going to be Damian Lewis. The guy is going to be filming movies for a couple years and than if the right TV project comes along he might do another show.

Comment by johnhelvete – January 29, 2014 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Huh..wasn’t expecting him as I don’t watch SOA, but thank you for finally answering the blind item. The suspense was annoying!

Comment by Rac76 – January 29, 2014 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think Brody is dead. I thought the blind item was David Morrisey.

Comment by Alia – January 29, 2014 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So did I. The governor as Constantine would be perfect casting.

Comment by Bad Samaritan – January 29, 2014 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Fantastic idea, but too old and not enough.. punk.

Comment by jaclyn-kate – January 29, 2014 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • David Morrisey was already announced to be in an AMC pilot in the summer.

Comment by Teag – January 29, 2014 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Called it. There was no way Clay was going to make it to the final season.

Comment by V – January 29, 2014 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I guessed that the blind item was about Ron Perlman right after Clay died, but since nothing was announced, other posters kept saying it had to be someone else. This definitely took longer to get resolved than I thought it would.

Comment by the girl – January 29, 2014 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m looking forward to Ausiello’s memoir.

Comment by Faster – January 29, 2014 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • love Ron Perlman and will definitely give anything he is a part of a watch..

Comment by windy4292 – January 29, 2014 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m like who tf is he ?

Comment by Try Again – January 29, 2014 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How does a do anything?

Comment by Sebastian – January 29, 2014 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *dead guy

damn keyboard not registering swypes

Comment by Sebastian – January 29, 2014 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the HYPE was bigger than the REVEAL

Comment by Judi – January 29, 2014 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s for sure. I mean RP was sort of a star on SOA, but not the type of “big” star I imagined. Also, the fact that the series wasn’t even sold at the time of the time item was a missing fact. And now it’s going on Amazon streaming, I presume? Killing off Taraji P. Henson was a FAR bigger shock than RP getting offed in SOA. I don’t think anyone saw that one coming.

Comment by ChicagoDan – January 29, 2014 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wasn’t a “missing fact” that the new series hadn’t been sold yet. Right in the blind item, “can’t pitch it to a single network”.

Comment by craigbear – January 29, 2014 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Interesting, even though I never watched SOA. I like Ron Perlman so I’ll probably watch the pilot for the new show.

Comment by DanielleZ – January 29, 2014 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So is this a reincarnation of Joan of Arcadia? Doesn’t sound too exciting

Comment by jan bruce – January 29, 2014 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That is exactly what I thought of right away Jan–good call IMO!!

Comment by Angie – January 29, 2014 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Even though it wasn’t about Damian Lewis, I’d assumed it was him so much that I watched the finale waiting for him to die, rather than being surprised by it. Weird how a spoiler for an entirely different show managed to spoil Homeland!

Comment by RyanC – January 29, 2014 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh. There are so many others I wish it would have been!

Comment by Anna – January 29, 2014 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So an actor I don’t care for is off a show I don’t watch and headed for another show I won’t watch? Got it, thanks.

Comment by Stormy – January 29, 2014 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did Brody really get killed off on Homeland?

Comment by Rita price – January 29, 2014 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, he’s really dead. An ex-ex-terrorist. Stick a fork in him. He’s dead, Jim.

Comment by vioricabritton – January 29, 2014 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow glad to see Ron getting more work so soon I’m a huge fan, the show sounds lame to me though. I will check it out because it has Pearlman in it.

Comment by James D – January 29, 2014 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch SOA, but is Ron Perlman considered a “big-time actor”? I don’t even recall seeing his name in the list of guesses!

Comment by neha – January 29, 2014 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I knew it was going to be him. and just yesterday people were complaining that Ausiello never revealed who the blind item was ha

Comment by Pati – January 29, 2014 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The new show sounds a lot like Touch without Tim Kring’s terrible writing.

Comment by TigerNightmare – January 29, 2014 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where have you people been for the past 30 years? Ron Perlman has been in more movies than most! Ever since Beauty and the Beast in the 80′s! Love him!

Comment by Karen – January 29, 2014 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, it kinds of blows my mind. He’s been around forever. Homeland gets way more recognition than SOA though so I guess I’m not surprised. The only surprise is that his death was supposed to be shocking. I think anyone who watched the show knew his time was coming. But yeah, he definitely qualifies as a big enough actor to fit this.

Comment by Francine – January 29, 2014 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I know it was Perlman when they revealed this blind item. SOA is such a great show and the amount of recognition these actors have gotten from inside “Hollywood” is really great (besides all the award snubs). I knew Clay was going to go, but I also knew he’d get picked up really quick. I’ll watch it because I have never seen Perlman in anything that disappointed me.

Comment by cheryl – January 30, 2014 05:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I saw Chandra West on General Hospital today. Has she left Grey’s Anatomy?

Comment by Vermell McBride – January 29, 2014 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s a big name actor?

Comment by JEF – January 29, 2014 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, in the acting world, Ron Perlman is considered a big time actor. They all don’t have to be Tom Cruise to be “big time”. Directors & producers want to work with Perlman, all of the time.

Comment by cheryl – January 30, 2014 05:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They might want to work with him, but he’s not a big name to the general public. Fact.

Comment by Alex – January 30, 2014 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL, he is NOT a “big name.” He’s a respected actor, he’s a good actor, but he is not a name.

Comment by Alex – January 30, 2014 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh, he’s “big name” alright. Great actor, well respected, in my book that makes him a big name. He’s gotten respect and fame the good old fashioned way, he worked for it, he earned it. Just because the media shoves certain people down society’s throats doesn’t make them “big names”

Comment by jenferner8 – January 30, 2014 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really wanted the answer to be Damian Lewis, but after reading the premise of this new show, I’m kinda glad it’s not because I’m not interested in watching it!

Hopefully Damian finds another pilot ASAP, can’t wait to have him back on tv!

Comment by Jo – January 29, 2014 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy they revealed the blind item. I knew it was Clay/Ron though; I could sense it from Episode one. Being that Ron is actually a really big time actor (for almost 30 years..!) I knew someone would scoop him up quickly. So yeah, not shocked about this. Glad I have the heads up, I’d watch anything Ron Perlman is in. He’s a great actor and I always enjoy his work.

Comment by cheryl – January 30, 2014 05:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He was good in Beauty and the Beast

Comment by Pam goodley – February 18, 2014 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “someday I’ll explain why I couldn’t solve this riddle sooner”
    Because they couldn’t sell such a ridiculous premise to a major network like you promised, even despite the presence of the awesome Ron Perlman.

Comment by SonOfCoul – January 30, 2014 10:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • im wont to help me
    i m refugee

Comment by ali omer aden – January 31, 2014 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would like any info you have on the show “The Glades” Can’t believe no other nerwork picked this up..

Comment by S.britton – February 8, 2014 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • are they serious with this plot?

Comment by Pam goodley – February 18, 2014 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post