Exclusive

Exclusive: Scandal to Finally Introduce Fitz's Kids

Scandal Casts Fitz's KidsTwo-and-a-half seasons into its run, ABC’s Scandal is ready to at long last flesh out the First Family by giving faces to Fitz and Mellie’s two kids.

And that includes the son that may also be POTUS’ brother.

PHOTOS | Winter TV Spoiler-palooza! Your Scoop-Filled Guide to Scandal and 30 Other Returning Favorites

TVLine has learned that Shonda Rhimes’ fast-paced drama is currently casting the guest-starring roles of 15-year-old Jerry (Jr.?), who is described as “quiet, smart and intense,” and his younger sister Karen, who comes across as “polished, self-assured and older than her years.”

Dylan Minnette for Jerry, anyone…? Too old?

RELATED | Could Thursday Night Football Bump Grey’s and Scandal? ABC Mum on Bid for Games

Scandal returns from its winter break on Feb. 27, with the 11th of this season’s 18 episodes. The Grant offspring will appear in Episode 15.

RELATED | Save the Dates: Your February Calendar of 55 Premieres and Finales

Want more scoop on Scandal, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Jerry would technically be the Third since Fitz is a Jr. himself!

2. AGB says:

Really hope they don’t reveal that Jerry is Fitz’s brother. It was an interesting idea but I sort of liked the fact that they didn’t explicitly said it.

• Anne says:

Couldn’t agree more! I like that they’re gonna show them since it’s really weird we haven’t seen them at all, but I hope they’ll just leave that question hanging there and not explicitly say it.

3. Heidi says:

Ohhhh, noooo, why is that necessary….. Better not knowing the siblings for love the chemistry betwetten Fitz & Olivia…… :)

• Anthony Rock says:

I agree! Exactly why is this necessary? It is like Ms. Rhimes is reading the bad comments of fans and pandering to them. Who cares about these kids and the dynamic they will impose? This is just adding fuel to the fire of Scandal becoming a soap opera. If I wanted to see something like this I would watch Days of our Lives. Enough of this nonsense.

4. the girl says:

If Bailee Madison wasn’t already killing it on Trophy Wife, I would say she totally would work here. She’s got the energy it sounds like they want for the younger daughter.

5. Andrew Hass says:

I’m happy that Scandal will be bringing on Fritz and Mellie’s kids.However in the article it says the actors guest starring.So that could mean a lot of things in terms of how many episodes they’ll be in.Plus it could be nice to see Fritz and Mellie as parents and seeing them in a different light.

6. Krissie says:

two words: Bad idea!!!

7. dude says:

Glad we’ll be meeting them but I hope it’s only a brief visit (like one episode). I don’t want teenagers ruining all the soapy goodness with their drama!

8. Lauren says:

Great, now I’m going to be disappointed when it’s not Dylan Minnette. Bailee Madison would be great too.

9. nate says:

i thought they already showed their kids??

10. Christian says:

I like your casting choice for Lil Fitz. He’s a good actor and no way is a 17 yr old too old to play a 15 yr old. Just ask any of the CW stars who are usually playing half their age!

11. Colleen says:

seeing the “Brother/Son” twist in print does give it all a dueling banjo quality.

12. Scandallover says:

Isn’t it obvious that Fitz already knows the boy “Jerry” is not his kid? Remember his reaction when the sex of the third child was exposed by the reporter and his reaction ” I have a son?” If he already had the first son why would he be so shocked and happy to know he now has a son soon to be born and in Cyrus’s office he told Olivia he found out Mellie induced labor and put his son’s life in danger by doing so? Maybe this is the reason why he hates Mellie because he found out or seeing his father in past episodes might have told him his son is not his but his brother hence his intense hate for his father even in death and shock to know the third child was a boy. Even in the back of the limo when they were going to Vera’s funeral why was Mellie asking him for forgiveness and it was not for her part in the Defiance issue because she did not mention it then or blamed Cyrus and Olivia as she did on the way to Ella’s christening. Come on folks keep up or watch the season over again and see his reaction when told Mellie was having a boy. Listen to what he said about having a son. Even his interaction with the baby and him telling Mellie ” you are not taking my son” when she was leaving for Blair House.

• ebrown1206 says:

Thank you for commenting on exchange between Mellie & Fitz en route to funeral. I’ve always wondered what Mellie was begging Fitz to forgive her for. I always thought she might have had an affair or something along that line and Fitz was aware.

• Serene says:

Remember his dad raped her. It was a flashback some time in season 2.

• Scandallover says:

Yes and in that same episode she made the announcement about the Governor’s race, Fitz getting the type of support then refused to drink the Champaign with Fitz asking if she was. She said it was early then he hugged her and the look on her face during the hug? Yep that is another Josie and Candice mother daughter issue but this time father brother son thing!

• gts says:

Season 3. And I think that is what (s)he is saying. She had suspected there was infidelity (not the best word for rape, but I don’t know what else to call it) before realizing Mellie was raped.

• ebrown1206 says:

I know–hated that episode. It didn’t jive w/how Mellie behaved toward Big Jerry in earlier episodes. She was hugging him and overtly swooning over him in fact she was the one that brought him on campaign trail and was more on his side than on Fitz’ when eating dinner the night Fitz was drunk and they were arguing about Big Jerry campaigning in FL. It simply did not track for me.

• Scandallover says:

Right. Also notice when Mellie came into the Oval to say the kids did not want to come visit and her only real concern and main comment was about Karen hating tennis and how he shouted at her and fired off political questions to her the last time they were there to visit baby Teddy while playing tennis? Then briefly said “Jerry is shy and he is afraid of you?” Quoting MJ “the boy is not his son” and he Fitz knows it!

• ebrown1206 says:

Ah, good point. So given that kids will be present in epi315, I wonder if we’ll get into this otherwise why bother to bring them forward now? Of course it is campaign time so Mellie needs to pretend to care, particularly given her favorability being in the toilet.

• herman1959 says:

I think this is correct – they will have to play ” happy families” for the sake of the election. Since episode 15 is in the middle of the remaining episodes the election should figure in a big way at that point. Lastly, adding new characters will add some interest to the basic storyline and help fill the void left by Olivia having less screen time due to KW’s pregnancy. Let’s wait and see!

• Anthony Rock says:

For not being Liv of course.

• Vanessa says:

By god I have been saying the same thing. Glad to know someone out there has the same thoughts.

13. Kristen says:

Don’t you mean three-and-a-half seasons into its run?

14. webly3 says:

Why now? I always wanted to meet them… but now? Weird.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Not really. If he’s on the campaign trail during Season 3B, he’ll need to trot out the moppets here and there.

• ChelleB says:

Didn’t seem like he trotted out the moppets in the first campaign, not even for the inauguration! So I agree with the inquiry, why now?

• gts says:

Shonda Rhimes has said she didn’t want to show the kids in the beginning of the series, before viewers started top support Fitz and Olivia’s relationship. The kids were probably just not shown at campaign events.

15. ChelleB says:

I love Scandal (well I thought I did) but it just seems like the cast is getting way too big, there are a million plotlines, we’re seeing less and less of the lead female protagonist, and now the White House characters are the show’s lead. And if this is about some brother/son or son/brother (whichever is the right way) storyline, I’m officially tired. I pushed through past the rape but son/brother will do me in.

• Anthony Rock says:

You and me both. Enough of this malarkey already. Who on earth wants to watch this crap? Isn’t General Hospital enough of a soap opera. Why oh why must Scandal descend even further into such banality?

16. STanJS says:

All i can say is: ABOUT TIME

17. Dan says:

I don’t mind them showing the kids, but you can’t help but feel bad for the actors from OPA side of the show. It can’t be more obvious that they aren’t high on the priorities list for the writers. You can already predict so many are going to continue to say they’re the weak links, while Bellamy Young continues to get love from the critics.

18. asm says:

19. Nancy says:

I just wish one question would be answered. Why isn’t scandal on like other shows with the summer off. It seems they did this to Lost until people just stopped watching. I haven’t checked but is Greys, off more than it’s on. Just curious, it is great writing, great show, but it seems i’m waiting for it to start every other week. Is there a reasonable answer?

• Cheyenne says:

Do the math. The length of the prime time season is around 36 weeks (late September to mid-May). The typical prime time series has 22 episodes each season. 36 weeks – 22 episodes = 14 weeks they have to fill up with something, and that’s not counting the summer hiatus. The only way they can run a series through a whole season is to have 36 episodes each season, which isn’t going to happen.

• GoGiants says:

Agreed, the last Grey’s was pre-Christmas, the next one isn’t for another month. Not sure how/why they expect to keep anyone but diehards interested with that kind of wait.

20. anonymous says:

“Ugh, why is the daughter in shonda’s story always “good”? Why can’t the character be a spoiled brat or a bitch or something”

There are plenty of obnoxious teen girls on tv.

21. TVPeong says:

How about Dylan Minnette?

22. ann says:

I’m glad we’ll finally meet them. Hopefully they hate their flop father like everyone else does.

23. LoloCurray says:

To be perfectly honest I forgot Mellie and Fitz had older kids…

24. mrenee says:

Seems reasonable now. If this show is going to last more than another season, they will need to be more creative. They seem to turn to hot-button topics when necessary to frame the narrative. Last few episodes it was rape–which is all you need to garner sympathy from a crowd of women. Now, we move to children and the effect of infidelity and divorce. By season 4, they should have good reason to split-up Fitz and Olivia for the umpteenth time and half of the audience will applaud. If you cannot hate Fitz in a closet, in a bunker, an interrogation room or for just not wanting Mellie, then this should do it. I would sure like to be wrong about this, but frankly, I don’t think so, Hey, how about have Tony Goldwyn direct the episodes, this way everyone gets a win. Those on the left who love Fitz all day will never fault him and those on the right side can continue to hate Fitz for all things and Shonda finally gets to “take her show back.”

• Anthony Rock says:

What more creativity could you have had than arguably the most powerful man in the world having a black mistress? That alone could have lasted at least 2-3 seasons. Black mistress to wife another 2 seasons. President running with his new wife as they navigate the pitfalls of party politics and election and people in their life.

A solid 5 -7 years easy we are talking about here.

Instead we are given the average, tried, boring, safe children storyline.

What a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Wake me up when this is over.

25. I’m still waiting on Harrison’s storyline.