Starz Orders 'Gritty' Ballet Drama Flesh and Bone

Starz Drama Flesh and BoneStarz has ordered to series Flesh and Bone, a “dark and gritty” drama that promises to “unflinchingly explore the dysfunction and glamour of the ballet world.”

Created by Emmy-winning Breaking Bad scribe Moira Walley-Beckett, the series follows a young dancer, Claire (played by the School of American Ballet/American Ballet Theatre-trained Sarah Hay, pictured), who contends with a distinctly troubled past just as she joins a prestigious ballet company in New York.

VIDEO | Starz’s Adaptation of Outlander: Watch the First Trailer

“From the beginning, we all agreed this project could not go forward unless we found a world-class dancer who had the ability to convey the widest range of emotions that Moira has written,” Starz CEO Chris Albrecht said in a statement. “This is one of the most challenging and dynamic characters I have ever seen and am thrilled to say we found our ‘Claire’ in Ms. Hay.”

The cast also includes former American Ballet Theatre principal Irina Dvorovenko and current soloist Sascha Radetsky, while American Ballet Theatre alum Ethan Stiefel (Center Stage) will serve as a choreographer.

VIDEO | Starz’s Black Sails Cast Promise Nudity, Sex and a ‘Huge, Big Mess of an Ending’

Production is scheduled to begin soon in New York City, with an eye on a 2015 bow.

Comments (12)

• Sascha Radetsky and Ethan Stiefel who were both in Center Stage! I’m so on board with this!

Comment by Michelle – January 27, 2014 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would watch just for them. Now I need to find out if I get starz.

Comment by Meg – January 27, 2014 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Same to all of the above!

Comment by Jill – January 27, 2014 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Black Swan the series?

Comment by Wouter – January 27, 2014 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Consider me interested. Center Stage is one of my favorite movies of all time.

Comment by Briana Michelle Meyer – January 27, 2014 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is good news following the cancellation of Breaking Pointe.

Comment by Jill – January 27, 2014 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another Starz show I will likely not get to see.Most Starz shows end up on Superchannel here in Canada and I`m not willing to pay an extra $20 a month to get it.

Comment by Ally Oop – January 27, 2014 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • can we get Sutton Foster back now!!!!!

Comment by nate – January 27, 2014 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Pretty please?!?!1

Comment by gdv – January 27, 2014 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you’re desperate for a Sutton fix, Netflix has Shrek the Musical on Instant Watch… Though all it did was make me wish that I could see more of her :(

Comment by jalahyacinth – January 27, 2014 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “…unflinchingly explore the dysfunction and glamour of the ballet world.” Really? There are people out there clamoring to see the underbelly of the ballet world? Could have fooled me.

Comment by Bob – January 28, 2014 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post