Reality Check: Idol Without Outrage? (Gasp!) Plus: Week 2 Faves & That Super-Pimped Chick!

It’s a new dawn, it’s a new day and a new executive producer (Per Blankens) for Season 13 of American Idol — but the lack of bad mojo has my Reality Check cohost Melinda Doolittle and me feeling a wee bit uneasy.

I mean, is there such a thing as too many exciting auditions or too many promising singers in the early audition rounds? (Um, actually, no!) Melinda and I break down our faves from the Detroit and Atlanta episodes, but find we’re not always in agreement — with each other and, in a few cases, with judges Jennifer “#poisonapple” Lopez, Keith Urban and Harry Connick Jr.

PHOTOS | Grammys 2014: The Best and Worst Moments

Plus, we discuss the one (maybe two) mistakes “Uncle PB” has made thus far — the very strange case of Marrialle Sellars, whose audition was used as kickoff moment of the Season 13 premiere, and then repeated during the Detroit installment. What’s up with that?

We’ve got all those debates plus fresh hashtags (#LakesAreForWinners); clips from Community, Sleepy Hollow and Justified; and Melinda’s statement about one of her biggest musical pet peeves. (Spoiler alert: It involves a 15-year-old’s breathing!)

So press play below for our latest episode, then hit the comments with your thoughts on this week’s show — and on any contestants you think we snubbed in our discussion! And for all my Idol-related recaps, videos, interviews and exclusives, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Stormy says:

There are so many spoilers out there about who didn’t make it through Hollywood that I don’t need to watch until the live shows start. Unless it’s to enjoy the judges. Can’t believe I said that last part.

• sg54 says:

Another reason: Awesome group performances that finally won’t be overshadowed by over an hour of drama (hopefully)!!!!

• SallyinChicago says:

It seems the contestants are trending young — no more 20 year olds+?

• qj201 says:

I’ve been watching Idol since Clarkson. I never watch the audition rounds. They are so obviously manipulated by the producers that they are painful to watch. I only tune in once voting starts.

2. Vetle says:

Per (swedish/Norwegian) is pronounced pretty similar to “Pear”, for the record. :)

3. -I’m a bit surprised that American Idol didn’t try to come up with an excuse or reason why they aired Marielle Sellers twice. I thought they would try to backpedal with that one. I agree that out of everyone we have seen I don’t think I necessarily would have picked her to be the one contestant featured twice. Idol has never done that before, so it’s weird they chose her.

-I disagree that there aren’t parts of the show they could do without. I think the whole “Chamber” aspect of the show and the “Hollywood or Home” tweeting aspect of the show has been silly. I know they are gonna have a real “Hollywood or Home” round in a week or two, but those two parts of the show are dumb to be featured. Also, No one cares that they go into this little room before they go in with the judges. Other than that, I agree there hasn’t been a lot to complain about. Which is weird to say given this is American Idol.

4. Lana says:

Thank God I don’t know how to find the spoilers, or I wouldn’t look even if I did. I’m really going to enjoy Hollywood week and I want to see it unveil as is. I really am loving this year.

5. Mik says:

LOL the last part were you joke about the ENTV ending is hilarious!

Thank you for doing these videos, I absolutely love watching them!

• My Alter Ego says:

Mik, I agree about the ENTV ending being hilarious. Why is it that the “real” ENTV blurb annoys me to pieces, but Melinda mimicking Aubrey is so funny?? I don’t have the answer, but it did make me laugh!

• deedee says:

Me too. Michael and Melinda make American Idol for me. But if I’m honest, I miss the griping! There’s nothing more fun than being outraged by Idol, and nothing more hilarious than Michael Slezak being outraged by Idol. I do hope this season gives Michael at least SOME opportunity to come up with gems like dolphins doing high-degree-of-difficulty tricks, or the “package artist” clanging monkey. I don’t think I can handle a perfectly-run Idol season!

6. Forwardad says:

I read the spoilers primarily because I hate getting vested in a singer that gets cut. I usually only read the list once And honestly with The exception of one or two names I can’t remember any of them.

7. LeahKittyS says:

Why is everyone complaining about Marialle Sellers being featured twice? There wasn’t this much stir when John Fox was featured twice in the same episode during premiere week. But maybe I’m biased because Marialle was one of my favorites. There were really so many good ones this week, but she and Jess Meuse were the best this week, and Majesty Rose of course. Even putting the awesome singing aside, what a name. What was it the Eleventh Doctor said in his debut when he met his new companion, Amelia Pond? “It’s like a name in a fairy tale.”

• tealeaves says:

Marialle’s audition was shown on 2 different days. She was the first contestant shown for the season, even though her audition was not in Boston or Austin. Then they repeated her audition on a later day when they showed Detroit. I don’t think they have ever done that before.

8. Jacob says:

I love that I don’t even have to watch Idol to enjoy the crap out of these videos. Y’all rock so much.

9. Teeny Bikini says:

LOL, Michael. #PoisonApple :) You and I both know it’s coming… As for 15 year olds on these shows… I generally find that they overcompensate for all of the things that they don’t even know they should know? [How's that for a run-on sentence...] That little boy [Justin? Jordan? Whatever] was dreadful, completely amateur and cocky in a way that was “not” adorable. Don’t worry about Marielle – I wasn’t so blown away that I thought she was gonna run away with title? In fact, the sheer depth of talent makes it hard to “go there,” just yet. I haven’t enjoyed this show this much since Season 1. I hope they keep it up. To answer your question – no, there is never too much awesome singing. Never. Love Reality Check! Cheers.

10. Sherry says:

I just can’t take the drama anymore with judges. Harry is a huge disappointment being rude to the male contestants. It’s apparent he favors females. He shouldn’t have been hired as a judge very partial. How is almost every contestant so far “great” as far as judges are concerned. Not one contestant with exception of David Wilis are even talented. Ratings are going down each week steadily. I’m only going to watch if judges will stop hogging the spotlight.

11. LeahKittyS says:

Also, I love the Stardust clip. That is one of my favorite movies. So thank you for that.

12. Uncle PB….classic! Makes me hungry for peanut butter!

13. JM says:

First, love Reality Check! Second, thank you for the shout-out to ‘Justified’, the most underrated show on TV. Third, thank you, Melinda for mentioning Mr. Townsend, also a fav of mine.
    So many talented artists, Harry is great, so far I’m really enjoying AI!

14. Tusk says:

I guess I looked to see how Melanie Porras ‘wasn’t’ like Haley, to give her a fair listen. After a couple times, I do like her, she plays the guitar well and with confidence, no surprise, her father plays guitar.
    I wasn’t really paying attention that Marrielle Sellars got shown that much, but I do think, even w/o the pimping, she would be a contender…
    I felt Jessica Meuse’s emotional reaction to getting her ticket, she seemed genuine, someone with stories in their soul. I fear that the Idol machine might turn out to be the antithesis to where her talent wants to take her. IMO, she’s the kind of contestant your empathy wants you to root for
    Of course, everything will change, probably, come the live shows :P

15. takatomon says:

Honestly, I’m not all that concerned that Marialle got the pimp slot. The pimping, as you know in previous years is a double edge sword and most of the time (sans Phillip Phillips), it doesn’t merit them the win. Amber Holcomb got pimped relentlessly, and she didn’t win, same with Lauren Alaina and Pia Toscano. As far I’m concerned, Marialle’s voice as of so far simply isn’t good enough and she probably won’t win. There’s going to be a dark horse or someone bubbling up that will just end up passing her.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Maybe later in the season Amber Holcomb was pimped, but the top 20 night was the first time we heard her. They didn’t air Amber’s audition or any of her performances from Hollywood week.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I don’t recall Pia Toscano being pimped. The first time I remember hearing her was on group night when she sang “Grenade” with two other girls (oh, help me out, Brielle Hughley ? and Alexandra…somebody. Seeems like she was conected to Pia somehow).

I remember thinking, “Wow, where has SHE been”?

16. Sarah says:

MAJESTY is everything i need in life. And reality check, of course.

17. Angie_Overrated says:

Melinda catching that the dude with the cold was placing the tone differently… yup! I made the same exact comment when I heard it. I don’t think I loved him as much as she did, but whatever, he’s good.

And Per is a Swedish name that rhymes with “hair.” Assuming the one Per I know from Sweden pronounces him name correctly, that is.

18. Babybop says:

I am in love with whoever puts the snarky captions on all these videos. I don’t even watch Idol, but I look forward to these videos every week!

19. AO says:

I love this season of AI.. However, I haven’t seen any contestant as great as Melinda Doolittle.. I was blown away during Melinda’s audition in Season 6 and I knew she would go far.. I haven’t seen that kind of talent ever since.. Anyway, it’s too early to say but this season is definitely worth watching.. So many talented people.. My favorite so far is Keri Lynn Roche..

20. JAO says:

Good recap. Can’t DVR both days each week so this keeps me current. What I want to know is where Melinda got her top. I love it.

21. Justin says:

Poison apple? Stop acting so sexist in acting like JLo is out to get all the girls.