Doctor Who First Look: Peter Capaldi's 'Rebel Time Lord' in Doc Martens, Daring Jacket Lining

Get More: First Look

Bowties and fezzes, out. Doc Martens and Crombie coats, in.

Yes indeed, with Doctor Who‘s recent regeneration — aka recasting from Matt Smith to Peter Capaldi — the titular Time Lord is also getting some new duds, and we’ve got your first look!

According to BBC America, the Twelfth Doctor’s costume includes “a dark blue Crombie coat with red lining, dark blue trousers, a white shirt as well as black Doc Marten shoes.”

Or, as Capaldi puts it (via press release), “He’s woven the future from the cloth of the past. Simple, stark, and back to basics. No frills, no scarf, no messing, just 100 per cent Rebel Time Lord.”

Doctor Who returns to BBC America later this year.

Check out a pic of Capaldi in costume — and an on-set shot with Jenna Coleman as companion Clara — below, then sound off with your thoughts on the Doctor’s new look.

DOCTOR WHODOCTOR WHO SERIES 8

Comments (59)

• Yaaaaaawn. And whoa, someone needs a tailor for those pants.

Comment by lynn – January 27, 2014 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m glad they made the next Doctor older…it’ll weed out whose a loyal Whovian and whose just a mere fan girl who was attached to David Tennant and Matt Smith as long as they were around

Comment by newinkpop – January 27, 2014 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, because a TV show always wants to shed viewers in favor of a smaller, but more passionate audience.

Comment by taran63 – January 27, 2014 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t get this, why do you care who watches the show for what reason? And why should it even matter?

Comment by AJ – January 27, 2014 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Because fan girls annoy me, they don’t understand the concept and the coolness behind it, they just care about how good Matt Smith looks in a hat

Comment by newinkpop – January 27, 2014 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Well brace yourself, it’s about to get UN-cool with the Grandfather Doctor.

Comment by RobD381 – January 27, 2014 06:59 PM PDT
          • Ageist!

Comment by Alex – January 27, 2014 11:22 PM PDT
          • BTW, I was replying to shallow, callow laddie Rob, not newinkpop, who speaks sense.

Comment by Alex – January 27, 2014 11:23 PM PDT
          • @RobD381 You did not just call Malcolm Tucker uncool. Take it back.

Comment by Leah – January 28, 2014 10:21 AM PDT
        • Fair enough, but it matters if it drives the plot. I would like Doctor Who to be able to be an older Doctor with a male companion and no sexual overtones, should the writers see that as beneficial to their storylines – without it having to mean the cancellation of the show.

Comment by ben – January 27, 2014 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Also, who’s*, who’s*. If you’re going to be a prat, at least be grammatically correct,

Comment by May – January 27, 2014 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It is who’s not whose. I seriously doubt if the producers want to weed anyone out, even though they will weed out those (correct usage) who see their grandfather often and cringe at the relationship with Clara as shown in the picture. Younger (at least under 40) not older (58) should be the solution for the Doctor. Another man (like Rory, for example) would be great as a companion. As for fan girls it always amazes me that women are supposedly three years ahead of men in mental development and they melt into an unmentionable mass when they’re in their teens any time any new man (or boy) appears onstage. They come and go depending on their age.

Comment by RobD381 – January 27, 2014 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Here’s how it worked. The actor playing Doctor 1 was in his 50s when the show started. The Doctors got progressively younger, give or take, until the youngest, Matt Smith. The Doctor was “rebooted” by the Time Lords of Gallifrey and given a new set of regenerations. Thus, the 13th incarnation of The Doctor (YES, 13, not 12, but that’s another discussion) is now being played once again by an actor in his 50s. Everything old is new again.

Comment by Bob – January 28, 2014 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loving the cardigan underneath! I’ll have to see it in action to really judge if it works but first impression; simple but nice.

Comment by Nessie – January 27, 2014 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously? Judging by clothing?

Comment by RobD381 – January 27, 2014 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She’s not judging by clothing she is judging THE clothing. That’s kind of the whole point of this article. Do you like the outfit or not? Apparently, Nessie does…and so do I.

Comment by Aimee – January 28, 2014 06:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Nessie – January 28, 2014 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • The cardigan is by John Smedley, a British knitwear specialist. Very apt.

Comment by Ian – January 29, 2014 08:49 AM PDT
  • I’m excited!!

Comment by KCC – January 27, 2014 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wasn’t sure how I felt about an older actor playing the Doctor again, since I’ve only ever watched the reboot (I discovered the awesomeness via Netflix binge last fall). But I like this look! I think he’ll be great as the Twelfth Doctor.

Comment by LeahKittyS – January 27, 2014 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very crisp white shirt. Like the red jacket lining. Otherwise…it’s okay.

Comment by Leigh – January 27, 2014 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • its visually distinct from the last few doctors and i like that.

Comment by Alan – January 27, 2014 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s great as the villain on the Three Musketeers. I’m looking forward to seeing him as the Doctor.

Comment by CBWBDK1 – January 27, 2014 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on A Thing About Something and commented:
    Rather excited for this!

Comment by bstuedell – January 27, 2014 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let’s not get too worked up – this is probably not going to be Capaldi’s only look. Remember, Matt Smith’s costume went through several incarnations during his tenure, and even Tennant had a blue suit as well as the brown, not to mention various shirts and ties. (Eccleston, though, was pretty much stuck with different color jumpers.)

Comment by Dreamrose – January 27, 2014 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I imagine the Crombie Company is salivating over this. Given what Smith did for bowties and Cumberbatch did for Belstaff

Comment by Znachki – January 27, 2014 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i was wondering what he would wear! i love it, it’s got just a little bit of eleven still in there to connect the two doctors yet completely made it his own. i can’t wait to see what his “side” outfits will be! and how it’ll look without the jacket (is that a vest i see?). basically i’m just 110% ready for twelve!

Comment by kd83954 – January 27, 2014 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m looking forward to the show but a little bit worried about how adding someone older will affect the chemistry, liked the previous two doctors a lot and if he can keep their characteristics it should be fine.

Comment by Tim – January 27, 2014 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Before tennant and smith the doctor was an older actor, so it shouldn’t change things at all, rather it will go back to the original feel

Comment by Isobel – January 27, 2014 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, thing is I didn’t like that doctor.

Comment by Tim – January 27, 2014 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You didn’t like Christopher Eccleston? He was 41. That’s not “older” unless you’re in high school, geez. Anybody calls you older when you’re that age and you’ll want to punch them in the teeth. Chris was fantastic and in no way seemed old. Matt Smith was initially criticized for being too young. Who’d everybody want this time–Harry Styles? I thought Tennant did an incredible job and enjoyed Ten’s special bond with Rose, but I don’t need all companions to have the hots for the Doctor or that kind of chemistry. He knows he’s gonna outlive all of them and it’s painful so most of the time he holds back from getting attached in that way. If the companion is always pining or throwing themselves at him, it gets old. Don’t get me started on River Song. The Doctor’s speculated to be around 1500 years old by the end of the Time of the Doctor. He needs to look 30 yrs old every incarnation why? It’s not like he always looked that young in the past He’s not supposed to be swoonworthy all the time. Peter Capaldi is hilarious in the movie “In the Loop.” Watch it, it’s great. Can’t wait for him as the Doctor.

Comment by S. – January 27, 2014 11:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Loved Ecclestone too, too bad he couldn’t have another season.

BTW, I’m not sure the affection for the Doctor by his female companions has always to do w/ his physical appearance aka ‘youth’, I think it has as much to do with going on life time adventures to new places with a daring adventurer into time and space, as well as feeling of worth and accomplishment in helping ‘right wrongs’.

Comment by Tusk – January 28, 2014 02:09 PM PDT
    • Won’t happen. This will be a somber, Sherlockian olde English Doctor I fear.

Comment by RobD381 – January 27, 2014 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s Pertwee-esque, minus the velvet. Like it!

Comment by Raissa Devereux (@RaissaDevereux) – January 27, 2014 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Less the ruffles, too, thank goodness. Velvet and ruffles, I will be happy if you never return. Ever. :-D

Comment by Dreamrose – January 27, 2014 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly what I thought.

Comment by Barb – January 27, 2014 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thus his comment about “no frills”. Of course the “no scarf” comment was a direct hit on Tom Baker, which wasn’t called for, Mr. Capaldi.

Comment by Bob – January 28, 2014 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • he wasnt saying anything bad about the scarf, he was just comparing the attitudes of the different doctors towards how they dress by referencing the most iconic doctor look.

Comment by Alan – January 28, 2014 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking Pertwee, at first glance of the outfit, too. He was “My Doctor” growing up in England :)
      #JoGrant

Comment by Tusk – January 28, 2014 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the Docs! I like the outfit he has on in the pic w/Clara. I hope he’s a good Time Lord. Looking forward to it.

Comment by tp – January 27, 2014 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The outfit he has on in the picture with Clara is 11′s (Matt Smith’s) costume.

Comment by CMG – January 27, 2014 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Had to go back and watch that episode. Glad i still had it. Well,,,,still like the Docs.

Comment by tp – January 27, 2014 11:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As soon as I saw it, I thought “Jon Pertwee in 2014″. Which is a very good thing. Yay for the return of the older Doctors!

Comment by Eric – January 27, 2014 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Each to his own. Older actors are great! Older Doctors I’m not sure.

Comment by RobD381 – January 27, 2014 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For some reason, maybe the hand gestures, that pic reminds me of Dr. Strange. :)

Comment by Badpenny – January 27, 2014 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I dig it, simple and cool.

Comment by charlie – January 27, 2014 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO MORE CLARA. SHE DIDN’T WORK.

Comment by Dijea (@Dijea) – January 27, 2014 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He should carry a pocket watch. I wonder how much input each of the actors over the years have had with the look of “their” Doctor. I think the oddest accessory has been Peter Davison’s lapel celery. :-D

Comment by AnnieM – January 27, 2014 09:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • the actors are given a lot of control over their look, matt smith almost single handedly put together his look and the costume department supported him doing that because they were having trouble coming up with the right look for him.
      this hasnt always been the case however, colin baker wanted to look like christopher eccleston’s doctor for example but he had that godawful coat forced on him instead.

Comment by Alan – January 28, 2014 04:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The shoes stink. No one with any fashion sense wears shiny shoes with a matte outfit! Awful, awful choice of footwear. I like the rest of the outfit, although a dark tie would finish off the look very well (none of those kiddie bowties, though).

Comment by Alex – January 27, 2014 11:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s just a little gross that he is so old and she is so young. There better not be any overtones or I will puke

Comment by Phyllis Strickland – January 28, 2014 04:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s how it was for most of the original series of Doctor Who. Pretty big age gap between Eccleston and Piper (almost 20 years). What about Catherine Tate being three years OLDER than David Tennant?

Comment by Bob – January 28, 2014 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think that’s going to be part of the story. Clara clearly has feelings for the Doctor and now that he’s…well…different, it’ll throw her feelings in disarray. Same guy, different face. Rose encountered this as well when Nine regenerated into Ten and it took her the first episode to get past her reservations. The only difference is that Ten was physically closer to age than Nine was.

Comment by kd83954 – January 28, 2014 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The pic makes him look like he’s 4′ 3″. Hobbit, anyone?

Comment by L BORGSTROM – January 28, 2014 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so glad that Clara is going to be his companion. I think it would be difficult to see Capaldi as the Doctor without her. I just hope he doesn’t completely change the character. I do not care that he’s so much older, I only care if he looses the sense of humor that I’ve come to love.

Comment by Trenzalore Can't Stop Him – January 28, 2014 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Every Doctor has their own sense of humor. Capaldi won’t be imitating Smith. He’ll be doing his own thing. And Ms. Coleman’s contract is for 1 more series. Who knows what will happen after that.

Comment by Badpenny – January 28, 2014 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meh…to the outfit and new doc. And the pose. No, HATE the pose. Meh to everything else.

Comment by Tina – January 28, 2014 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Capaldi was brilliant in his stint on Torchwood!!!

Comment by Joseph – February 25, 2014 05:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post