USA Network Picks Up Eliza Coupe-Jay Harrington Courtroom Comedy Benched

Get More: Series Orders

Benched USA Network Eliza Coupe Happy Endings‘ Eliza Coupe is guilty of… having a brand new TV series!

USA Network has handed a 12-episode series order to Benched, a half-hour, single-cam comedy starring Coupe as a dedicated, career-driven corporate attorney who has a very public nervous breakdown after getting passed up for an expected promotion, and finds herself working as a public defender.

RELATED | Happy Endings Exclusive: EPs Reveal What Would’ve Happened in Season 4

Better Off Ted‘s Jay Harrington co-stars as Nina’s new colleague, Phil, a tall, dark and handsome, if not a little scruffy, public defender and avid gambler.

Trophy Wife‘s Michaela Watkins penned the script with Damon Jones (Halfway Home) and both will serve as EPs alongside John Enbom (Party Down),  Mark Gordon (Grey’s Anatomy) and Andrea Shay (Family Tools).

Comments (31)

• USA… you had me at Eliza Coupe. I’ll be there for all 12 episodes.

Comment by Daniel – January 24, 2014 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t have said it better myself!

Comment by knd – January 24, 2014 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If only USA had just picked up Happy Endings…

Comment by dude – January 24, 2014 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!! Counting the days of the Happy Endings reunion (it will happen, you know!)

Comment by CSI Fan – January 24, 2014 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad and happy her new show got pickup. I can’t wait to see it.

Comment by Joey – January 24, 2014 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If it has Eliza Coupe in it I’m there!!!

Comment by Aimee – January 24, 2014 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved her in Happy Endings and I thought Better Off Ted got a raw deal in that it was a very funny show. Looking forward to this!

Comment by rkar7 – January 24, 2014 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d rather have Better Off Ted and Happy Endings back but since that’s not going to happen I’ll settle for Jay Harrington and Eliza Coupe back on my TV.

Comment by LDSK – January 24, 2014 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With these two in it I’m sure it will be funny. Definitely going to check it out.

Comment by Jax – January 24, 2014 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh! This sounds good, actually! I’m in!

Comment by aa – January 24, 2014 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michaela Watkins? Now this sounds interesting.

Comment by Ally Oop – January 24, 2014 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good, now just cast Damon Wayans Jr as her husband.

Comment by Dave – January 24, 2014 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ted and Jane together? With Michaela Watkins and someone from Party Down involved?? I’m in!

Comment by erin – January 24, 2014 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy Endings should still be on the air. :(

Comment by Ray – January 24, 2014 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!!! My Jane is back on TV!!! Love Eliza Coupe!!! She was my favorite on Happy Endings!!!

Comment by Eric7740 – January 24, 2014 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe she doesn’t hold a grudge against USA for not picking up Happy Endings! I guess working is more important than integrity!! I’m totally kidding haha, I will be there to check it out.

Comment by Fabe – January 24, 2014 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d rather have Better Off Ted. Since he will be named “Phil” can there also be a “Lem?”

Comment by Booger – January 24, 2014 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Never understood the Happy Endings love at all but she was one of the bright spots on it and I really enjoyed Better off Ted so I’m looking forward to this.

Comment by mattc – January 24, 2014 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you.Happy Endings was a bit weak in my eyes, but whenever Eliza was featured it was worth watching.

Comment by Ed – January 24, 2014 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jay Harrington is wearing that gray very well. A surprise, but as good a surprise as Matt LeBlanc with a head of gray.

Comment by Jon – January 24, 2014 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have missed Jay Harrington ever since the tragic disappearance of Better Off Ted from my screen! I loved that show so much.

Comment by Brooke – January 24, 2014 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Better Off Ted was a very funny show. Harrington’s deadpan was what made it, along with the crazy context. If well written, this could be a powerhouse show.

Comment by HAP – January 24, 2014 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jay Harrington is back. I really miss Better Off Ted

Comment by Daniel – January 24, 2014 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t get me wrong. I’m uber thrilled Eliza is back on TV (and with the addition of Jay, I’ll very likely tune into the show). But I’d much rather have had USA pick up Happy Endings, but they passed because it didn’t fit with the direction of their programming. Yet all of a sudden, a 30-minute, single-cam sitcom magically fits into their programming?!?! Oh well, I’ll take what I can get, I guess. I just hope this new sitcom is half as good as Happy Endings and Better Off Ted.

Comment by Ron – January 24, 2014 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hooray! Stars of two of my favorite comedies ever. Can’t wait!!!

Comment by Liz – January 24, 2014 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I freaking love her… and the USA Network. Maybe I wont cry forever when Psych goes off the air

Comment by A – January 24, 2014 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am SO in!

Comment by Alia – January 25, 2014 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yeah!!!! So happy can’t wait!!!

Comment by Ang – February 10, 2014 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for sharing, I like usa.

Comment by new – February 10, 2014 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post