Pilot Scoop: NBC Officially Orders Rob Lowe Tennis-Themed Comedy The Pro

rob lowe the proAdvantage, Rob Lowe.

NBC has formally handed a pilot order to The Pro, a single-camera comedy starring Lowe as a former doubles champion who is reunited with his ex-partner after a public feud that left them both floundering in life.

The project, written by Pete Huyck and Alex Gregory (The Larry Sanders Show, Frasier) and to be directed by sitcom vet Todd Holland (Go On, Malcolm in the Middle), will be set in and around a tennis and golf club.

1. hi says:

Why are they giving a show to the guy who quits every show he is on?

2. Zach says:

I said this when this was first announced, this is LITERALLY the best news I’ve heard all day.

3. Kalee says:

Rob Lowe the Attention Hog finally gets what he always wanted! His own show! Bet if/when he leaves, the excuse will be “I just want to spend more time with my family.”

4. Zach says:

It would be REALLY awkwar if he left this show, seeing as he’s an executive producer. It would be like Bernie Mac leaving The Bernie Mac Show.

5. Heather Hildebrand says:

Why would they do that? He will just leave after 2-3 years…

6. Mark says:

Who’s his partner? My vote is Kathryn Hahn.

7. Allyson says:

How long will he last on this show? Will he last 2 sets or stretch it to 3? Will the show finally be a love match for Rob Lowe in television.

8. Ally Oop says:

Wow, NBC is heading towards yet another bad season of new shows. Virtually all of the pilots they’ve picked up so far sound boring. Zero interest from me.

9. Greg says:

I think he works better in ensembles. Every time he has been given a show that he stars in, it fails. Shoulda stayed on parks and rec….. Dr. Vegas comes to mind

10. Paloma says:

I love Rob Lowe. I’ve been rewatching “The West Wing” and Sam Seaborne remains one of my favorite TV characters, ever. And I think it is some of the best work Lowe ever did. Every time I rewatch the series, I am very sad that Lowe didn’t continue (though they really gave his character less to do in his final season), and would love to see him reprise that roll . Barring that, perhaps this new show will turn out to be something else I will love. If only it will be smart and funny. Most comedies are not smart, though.

11. Ally Oop says:

NBC is picking up too many comedies.

12. roz says:

where can I get west wing tapes?