New Salem Trailer: Janet Montgomery's Sorceress Faces Off Against the Witch Hunters

A disheveled Shane West, a scary Seth Gabel and a powerful Janet Montgomery are on display in the newest trailer for Salem, WGN America’s first scripted drama series.

“There is something worse than a witch hunt — a witch,” warns Montgomery’s sorceress Mary Sibley. “The good souls of Salem will drown themselves in innocent blood.”

RELATED | ‘Darkly Sexual’ Salem Is ‘Wuthering Heights Meets The Exorcist

And there’s no shortage of blood in the gory video below.

The 17th-century series also stars Gabel (Fringe, Arrow) as Cotton Mather, a local aristocrat who oversees the witch hunts, Shane West (Nikita) as a war veteran who returns to find his native Salem consumed by the hunt’s frenzy and Ashley Madekwe (Revenge) as Mary’s alluring and ageless right-hand woman.

Salem, from Star Trek vet Brannon Braga, premieres April 20.

1. Terry says:

It actually looks really good. Great to see Shane West back on TV (RIP Nikita) and seeing Ashley Madeawke is great too, miss her on Revenge.

2. Aleana says:

This looks good I wish I had this channel will I be able to watch online or their website

3. mark says:

sheesh! looks like a terrible ripoff of this season of AMERICAN HORROR STORY.

• Tallee says:

Let’s hope not. AHS has been HORRIBLE this season. Good performances from the actors but the story (if you can find one in the carnage) is utter garbage. It started off good and then mid season just started chasing it’s own tail. The last thing the world needs is a knock-off.

• Francine says:

Yeah… as much as I don’t want to admit it, the storyline has left a lot to be desired (for me anyway). Like Tallee said, the actors were good as always, but I just wasn’t feeling the story. And I wish Evan Peters had a better role, he’s always been a standout for me. Anyway, as far as the comparison- other than it being about witches, I see nothing in common. Totally different time period and very different characters.

4. Et al. says:

Does anyone get this channel?

5. I didn’t even know I have had WGN for the past two years on TWC. Smart thing about original content it draws eyes to these boutique channels you normally never hear of. Already set WGN as a favorite channel on my DVR.

6. Jim says:

Seriously, none of you get Cubs games? Count me as surprised that it isn’t a national thing.

7. Kaycee says:

This looks amazing!! Yes, WGN are not holding back. So excited, Janet Montgomery seems so creepy

8. Michael says:

wow this looks really. Good the bed scene is freaky. rare thing a tv show to actually be scary

9. Joey says:

The trailer for the show looks good. I can’t wait to watch it in April.