Ratings: Middle and SVU Surge, Revolution Rises

Alana de la GarzaOn a Wednesday when a majority of shows saw demo gains, The Middle and Law & Order: SVU enjoyed the biggest upticks.

Opening ABC’s night, the Hecks drew 8.1 million total viewers and a 2.3 rating (per finals), up 8 and 28 percent week-to-week. Leading out of that, Suburgatory (6.1 mil/1.8) was up 15 percent and two tenths from its premiere, Modern Family (9.7 mil/3.4) rose 7 percent and two tenths and even Super Fun Night (5.2 mil/1.7) inched up 8 percent and two tenths.

Nashville closed ABC’s run with 5 mil and a 1.4, ticking up just a tenth.

RELATED | Nashville Recap: Second Verse, Same as the First

Over on NBC, Revolution (5.3 mil/1.5) was up 10 and 15 percent, scoring its best demo since Oct. 2. SVU (6.6 mil/1.8) surged 22 and 29 percent, and then Chicago P.D. (6.3 mil/1.6) rose 15 percent and a tenth.

RELATED | American Idol Detroit Auditions Recap: Electric Motor (City)!

Leading the night, Fox’s American Idol (13.2 mil/4.0) was up versus last Thursday’s outing but down 15 percent from its week-ago opener.

CBS’ Criminal Minds (10.4 mil/2.2) slipped two tenths, while CSI (9.5 mil/1.6) fell 20 percent in the demo.

RELATED | Criminal Minds Post Mortem: A Shocking Twist Sets the Stage for Episode 200

The CW’s Arrow (2.5 mil/0.9) — meh, I could’ve done without everything but those final two scenes — and Tomorrow People (1.4 mil/0.5) were both flat.

1. wrstlgirl says:

Great to see Revolution go up, finally. This season is kicking butt. And Chicago PD is great! Haven’t watched Arrow yet. Are those ratings for Nashville going to get them to s3??

• Katherine215 says:

I really love Revolution, and I’m so disappointed no one is watching it. It’s really good this year, and so funny! I’m also loving Miles’ kid, Connor – I’m expecting he will be Charlie’s love interest and I think the actor is a great fit for the show.

• bk says:

No one watches it because it is the poor man’s Walking Dead. Hilarious it gets half the viewers despite being on a more prominent network. The premise and setting is good the characters,writing and acting destroys. The networks can not do serialized genre shows like this.

• Katherine215 says:

Go away, troll.

• Damian says:

Someone with the opinion that they dislike a show you like is not a troll.

• Katherine215 says:

Someone who goes through a comment section repeating their same condescending argument over and over looking for people to annoy is a troll. If they had an actual argument for disliking it, great. I could have a conversation with that. Not someone deliberately trying to pick a fight. I don’t like a show, I don’t go in the comments section for that article and bash it to people that obviously do.

• Ally Oop says:

I agree with Katherine. I hate when people seem to just click onto articles for certain shows to bash the show. You won`t catch me clicking on articles for CSI, Criminal Minds, Dancing with the Stars or other shows I dislike–I only click on articles for shows I like.

• Sawyer says:

Yes people watch the show. I would disagree with your analogy of a Poor Mans Walking Dead, Perhaps a Poor Man’s Mad Max or Hunger Games. I would have to disagree with you that NBC is the major network, as it was 20 years ago. Perhaps if you did your homework you would realize that AMC has become a big player with the all the networks.
          You must not be watching Season 2 of REVOLUTION, because it is awesome,

The acting has been awesome this season. I suggest you go back to watching your zombie apocalypse, does not take much acting to be a Zombie. I would also point out that the Walking Dead does not compete with American Idol and TWD is in a 10pm time slot on Sundays I will also point out the first 2 seasons of TWD was not setting the world on fire, because of the writing and acting.The writers fixed TWD S3 and made TWD more plausible.
          I can say TWD actually sucks, and people who are entertained by Zombies are low functioning individuals, who are men in their 40’s who still smoke pot and live in their basement.
          So before you bash REVOLUTION understand that, REVOLUTION is doing well on NETFLIX, just like your TWD brought 10 million viewers after 4 seasons. Oh the power of NETFLIX..

So we can play the game your show suck all day long.

• bk says:

God people who watch network tv have low standards!

• Ally Oop says:

Revolution has become my favourite show this season. I need it to be renewed so badly. I will be devastated if this show does not get renewed. PLEASE PEOPLE WITH NIELSON BOXES–WATCH IT!

2. GildedRose says:

I was really disappointed in last night’s Arrow. I’d hoped for way more Slade stuff than just the few seconds at the beginning and end. Maybe that’s an indicator of something really awesome on a show — it always leaves you wanting more! But I felt like I could walk away from my tv to go do other things for the first time this season (in fact, I did) but ITA TVLine! The last bits were all that were needed. Next week looks more promising though.

3. sasha says:

Is Matt really bashing Laurel in the ratings section? Really? Yes cause everyone loves Olicity. *rolleyes*

• Georgia D says:

He’s bashing Laurel? It wasn’t an all out Laurel episode. He said he could’ve done without EVERYTHING. So unless Arrow is the Laurel show, I don’t think he’s bashing Laurel…
      Jeez people, not everything is about hating Laurel. Last night’s episode had a lot of plot holes -more so than usual even with the suspension of disbelief you usually need for Arrow.

I actually quite liked the episodes but there were indeed moments where I almost yawned (and most of them weren’t Laurel scenes). So yeah, overall for the standards I’ve come to expect out of the action in Arrow? a bit of a weak episode IMO outside the Slade scenes.

• Patrick says:

But, last night probably laid the seeds for the “goodbye Laurel” plot line. There are persistent internet rumors that the Cast and crew at Arrow are no happier with Laurel/Katie Cassidy than is most of the fan base. Last night seems to have been the first serious steps to writing her out. Her sister will step in and fulfill the ultimate role as the Canary.

• Lena says:

I hope you are right. Terrible episode. The only interesting parts were the Slade/Blood and the Roy scenes, so I agree with Matt. Not surprised with the ratings.

• Heather says:

Pretty much was the Laurel show last night. All plot lines (even on the Island) centered around her with the exception of the Roy trio.

It seriously lost me with the whole search warrant thing. I mean, really?

• Mia says:

Where did you see him bashing Laurel? No where.

• Lily says:

You sounded like a jealous child.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Please. I’m one of the few to ever ask EPs specifically about Laurel and giving her a story. My note above is re: Roy’s clunky attempt to be a vigilante, the flashbacks that moved nothing forward… among other things. The show’s been on fire this season, it was due to serve up a “meh” episode.

• Mike says:

My crystal ball says that this episode was merely another stop along the way of the evolution of Laurel into the Canary. Like many great fictional heroes she has to be broken to be reforged into something stronger. Via the flashbacks we also see the sister as a flawed tragic character that may not ultimately prove to be worthy of the title of hero. I see the sister returning and revealing herself to Laurel to save her from her addiction and then dying while facing Ra’s Brotherhood. Then Laurel takes the mantle of the Black Canary herself in order to honor her memory.

• +1 says:

Agreed. Arrow decreased the speed so meh…

4. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Ok, i saw last week’s ep. of SVU and i’m just wondering HOW long is the show going to go? Are they going to reach 20 like the orignal L&O……..Captian cragan is gone now all is left is Olivia and Fin. This show is great but everybody is out does anyone think the ratings might dip down a bit after the ep. from last week?

• Eric says:

Well, SVU is actually up from last weeks episode. Last week had a 1.4 with 5.44 million viewers and this week had a 1.8 with 6.64 million viewers. I don’t think Cragan leaving will truly have much of an affect on the show. Honestly, as long as Olivia is still on the show, it will do perfectly okay. She is the show. At least in my opinion. If Olivia wasn’t on it, I wouldn’t watch. Not sure how much longer the show will go on, but I suspect it was continue to do fine as long as Olivia stays.

• Keith says:

The original L&O changed cast far more than SVU

5. Michelle says:

I have to agree with Matt, overall Arrow was a bit meh with the exception of SLADE WILSON!! It was heavily promoted as a Laurel-centric episode and I wonder if that had any bearing on the ratings. It would be interesting to see a comparison of the Sara- and Diggle-centric episode ratings (eps 5 and 6 I think) against this one, since both of them are fan favourites.

• JC says:

I don’t know about 5, but episode 6 IIRC tied for second highest ratings of the season.

• Michelle says:

You’re right. Did some digging: League of Assassins (ep 5) – 1.0/3 and Keep Your Enemies Closer (ep 6) – 1.1/3. Granted these are final ratings and Blind Spot may adjust up, but it definitely won’t hit those numbers.

6. David says:

I enjoy SVU and I think it still has a lot of gas in it. I don’t mind cast changes – the original saw tons of changes in it’s run. With NBC having ratings issues I can see why they are keeping SVU around and newer cast members leads to reduced costs. I do think they need to cast someone else in a Captain role though. Olivia was made Sgt. which is fine but I don’t think they would leave a new Sgt. in charge for long. I think she is better off in a detective role and not a supervisory one.

• icy says:

I disagree, you can’t judge on how Well Liv is doing as Sargent, she’s only been in that role for one episode.

• David says:

I realize that it’s kind of early but it didn’t seem like a natural fit in the episode with her being in charge of the unit. We’ll see how it progresses. If you remember Munch had the Sgt. role before and wasn’t in charge unless Cragen wasn’t present. I think that’s how the dynamic should be with someone else in the Captain role.

7. Stacie says:

Yay for Revolution lasts night ep was awesome!!!

• Ally Oop says:

Agreed! One of the best episodes of the show to date. I bet at least one character, if not two, will bite the dust in next week`s episode. I can`t wait for Charlie to meet Conner. While I still remain an intense Monroe/Charlie shipper I can’t help but become excited about the possibility of a Conner/Charlie relationship. That is, if they don’t kill him off…

8. Claire says:

This felt more like an all hands on deck to save Laurel episode, and I’m just not buying it. Katie Cassidy did well, but for me personally, this felt … off

Rather than go into all the nitty gritty details, let me just say that this felt like an episode constructed with the sole purpose to give a character purpose and unfortunately it hurts the rest of what could have been a great show and took air time away from stronger cast members.

The saving grace of the episode was Team Arrow — Stronger character vs weaker, I’ll go with the stronger and say I could have used more Diggle (who is sadly underused). We still managed to get a couple of nice Felicity/Oliver scenes though, bonus.

Also, I liked the development of Roy Harper’s story, unfortunately I felt there were too many holes in the story itself. Too much focus on the Laurel life raft perhaps?

The ending with Deathstroke—I want more of THAT. And Arrow tossing a lifesaver to Roy? That is the lifesaving I want to see and am really looking forward to Arrow becoming Roy’s mentor. Some good character development coming for these two.

9. JC says:

On a night when almost everything was up, an Arrow episode that was heavily hyped as Laurel-centric is down. Shocking. Personally, I found it to be one of my least favorite episodes of the season so far. I enjoyed the stuff with Roy and Sin and Thea (they really need to give her more to do) and I’m looking forward to next week, but overall not one of their best. I’m not saying Katie Cassidy did a bad job. I think she was fine. But the problem is that at this point I am so totally uninterested in her character that this whole storyline with her is just filler for me. It’s not making me like her more, it’s not making me more sympathetic. I get what they’re for (or appear to going for anyway), breaking someone completely down to remake them as someone else (in Laurel’s case the Black Canary). I just don’t care. Sorry?

• JC says:

Oh, forgot to mention – I did enjoy Sara’s scene at the end. We were being set up to believe she was about to betray Oliver, but she didn’t. Go Sara. Looking forward to seeing her again in the present day.

10. Heather says:

Now I feel bad for not Retweeting Laurel promo tweet. Just couldn’t bring myself to do it. They haven’t promoted her all season and suddenly she’s everywhere. Like others I did feel like this epi was an attempt to make her character relevant. Like this was a test. Yep, sorry still don’t like her. Maybe this is all leading up to something, but it seriously feels like they are trying to find something for her to do. Shouldn’t have to try this hard. Makes me like her character even less.

11. dude says:

Yay for Chicago PD!

• bk says:

Yay for another bland generic network show! Boo for people who want quality

• wrstlgirl says:

So apparently you’re here to just criticize other peoples likes and opinions? You can’t find something more constructive to do with your day, something that will provide you with a better quality of life perhaps.

12. b says:

Arrow was great! Laurel is on her way to becoming The Black Canary. She’s lost everything. Katie Cassidy proved she can act when the material calls for it. I’ve never understood why Katie/Laurel gets so much hate!

13. N tTVf says:

SVU ratings increased this week. Why? Alana de la Garza.

AdlG and Oliva B/Hargitay make one dynamite combination.

14. em says:

Love Revolution!!

15. RS says:

The Middle is a good, underrated show. Once the headliners got out of starting out playing their last roles and morphed into the current roles, it improved dramatically. Writing is even keeled and smart.