Lauren Graham's CW Dramedy Snags an Unfamous Title (But What About a Pick-Up?)

Get More: Pilots

Lauren Graham UnfamousWith The CW expected to start formally ordering pilots in the coming days, new details are emerging (OK, a single detail — but it’s a biggie!) about one of the network’s buzziest properties: The Lauren Graham-penned dramedy based on the Parenthood star’s debut novel, Someday, Someday Maybe.

According to sources, the project — which follows a young woman nearing the end of a self-imposed time limit to find success as an actress in New York City — is going by the working title Unfamous. Graham is an exec-producer alongside Ellen DeGeneres and Jeff Kleeman (The Change-Up).

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

Earlier this month at the Television Critics Association winter tour, CW president Mark Pedowitz confirmed that Graham’s pilot script had been submitted and called it “excellent,” adding, “It’s under consideration.

“We have only so many slots,” he continued. “We’re going to probably do the same amount of pilots we did last year. So we’re going to have to determine whether or not it fits within any of those slots.”

The fact that Unfamous is one of The CW’s few non-genre pilot scripts in the pipeline may actually work in its favor. Pedowitz himself recently acknowledged to The Hollywood Reporter, “At some point we will be oversaturated with genre, and we’ll move back to the family genre. It feels like we’re slowly getting there.”

Comments (21)

• Hope it works out, maybe I’ll start watching the cw again!

Comment by Maris – January 23, 2014 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Graham, I love this type of shows. Something like HoD, it’s more inspiring, entertaining.

Comment by Maki – January 23, 2014 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael, Lauren herself mentioned that working title during her Nerdist podcast back in August…

Comment by gabi – January 23, 2014 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wonder if it will still be set in the 90s.

Comment by Pia – January 23, 2014 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sounds interesting.Love Lauren from Gilmore Girls.Glad Pedowitz realizes realizes not every show needs to a vampire or comic book superhero show.

Comment by Brandy – January 23, 2014 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Check out Lauren from Parenthood! ;)

Comment by jimbo – January 23, 2014 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t watched the CW in YEARS because I’m not really into drama so their programming doesn’t speak to me like it used to. I would definitely watch UNFAMOUS, fingers crossed!!!!!!

Comment by Drew – January 23, 2014 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *not in to genre

Comment by Drew – January 23, 2014 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I definitely like some genre stuff but come on do something else already please.

Comment by Samantha – January 23, 2014 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I like some of CWs genre stuff too -VD,TO,Secret Circle,Beauty & the Beast,& will watch Star-Crossed-but I also like Reign,Carrie Diaries,HoD,EOMD,TBL,Hellcats,Privliged,Melrose Place 2009,Gossip Girl,90210 ,LUX,Life is Wild too.

Comment by Brandy – January 23, 2014 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this sounds like something that could actually be good. and everything lauren graham touches is good anyway so even if she was producing another one of the cw’s super natural shows i would watch

Comment by Greg – January 23, 2014 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My only beef is that with a title like that, whenever a person is nominated for something, when they read out the category it’ll be announced “[Person X], Unfamous.” I haven’t given up on someone nominating Lauren Graham for awards. CW or no CW it will happen. I declare it thus.

Comment by scooby – January 23, 2014 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • it should be called lauren graham’s the unfamous

Comment by sue – January 23, 2014 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Someday Someday Maybe was terrific. I really hope this gets picked up!

Comment by Barry – January 23, 2014 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would definitely watch. It would be a good show to pair with Hart of Dixie, another show I like. I am also a genre fan but many of the genre shows in development at the CW don`t catch my interest. Here`s hoping CW picks the right shows to put to pilot, including this one.

Comment by Ally Oop – January 23, 2014 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I mean, this one kind of seems like a no brainer to pick up. But I’m not in the TV biz…I just watch it.

Comment by Dawn – January 23, 2014 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Monday and Fridays will probably be the days The CW needs to reschedule the most. Why not try a non genre series to pair up with Hart of Dixie. I already watch a lot on the network but Lauren Graham’s involvement alone has me sold.

Comment by Jared – January 23, 2014 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Someday, Someday Maybe. I would totally watch this show. Don’t be a nerd, CW. Pick it up!

Comment by Elizabeth – January 23, 2014 11:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder what’s getting axed on CW. TV shows should really start embracing 12-13 episode seasons. It gives them more room for shows and the stories are usually better because they’re not stretched out.

Comment by Mikael – January 24, 2014 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No idea what her book is like, but I do enjoy Lauren Graham.

Is the book family oriented at all? Per The CW President’s comment about family series… I do miss shows like Gilmore Girls and Everwood.

Comment by Will – January 24, 2014 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post