Community's Troy Farewell: Did You Lava It?

Get More: Recaps

Donald Glover Last Episode CommunityThe Troy and Abed Era is officially over.

Community said sayonara to Troy Barnes on Thursday in an episode that found Abed concocting an elaborate campus-wide activity to distract himself from his buddy’s looming departure.

RELATED | Find Out Why Donald Glover Left Community

As revealed in last week’s fantastic “Cooperative Polygraphy,” the late Pierce bequeathed Donald Glover’s Greendale vet a trip around the world. But before Troy sets sail via the aptly-named “Childish Tycoon” — captained by LeVar Burton! — Abed organizes an epic bon voyage event that starts out as a fun little game called “Hot Lava” and snowballs into a full-on disaster-movie homage.

Paintball-level pandemonium erupts throughout Greendale, and series creator Dan Harmon leaves no B-movie trope unturned (“Shirley Island” was my personal fave). But amid all the chaos, Abed’s very real feelings about Troy’s departure begin to surface. “It’s not a game for me, Troy,” he admits to his BFF. “I’m seeing real lava because you’re leaving; it’s embarrassing. I don’t want to be crazy but I am crazy. So I made a game that made you and everybody else see what I see.”

VIDEO | Community Cast Reacts to Donald Glover’s Departure

Cue Abed’s fake-death, followed by his fake-resurrection/cloning, followed by Troy’s crazy-touching Wizard of Oz-esque goodbye to each member of the study group (during which we learned stuff, like, Jeff has never stepped foot outside of Colorado!).

What did you think of the episode? Did you, like me, lose it when Troy and Abed hugged in the final moments? Do you really think this will be the last we see of him? Rate the episode in the poll below and then justify your grade in the comments!

Comments (62)

• It was one of the most weirdly beautiful episodes. I’m going to miss Troy so much!

Comment by wonderwall – January 23, 2014 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • really? i was pretty bummed they wasted all that time with the lava stuff. the end when it was just troy and abed talking and the send off were the best parts. wish the whole episode would have had more of that feel.

Comment by benis – January 25, 2014 03:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That was awesome! It was emotion-filled and hysterical at the same time.

Comment by Christine – January 23, 2014 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A sad farewell to Troy. I hope he comes back someday and doesn’t get Pierced.

As for Donald Glover… After everything that Scrubs did for him!!!

Comment by Drew – January 23, 2014 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would be Donald FAISON. He’s on “The Exes” now.

Comment by mikey – January 23, 2014 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Way to miss the joke, Mikey…

Comment by Erin – January 23, 2014 09:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Scrubs line is a reference to something Troy said earlier this season about how Zach Braff wouldn’t return for the full final season of Scrubs.

Comment by Meg – January 23, 2014 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Nice to know that someone gets me.
        Cool cool.

Comment by Drew – January 23, 2014 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Cool. Cool, Cool, Cool. (sorry the Abed in me had to correct that).

Comment by Caroline – January 23, 2014 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Abed only says “cool” 3 times, not 4. sorry, the Abed in ME had to correct that.

Comment by benis – January 25, 2014 03:10 AM PDT
          • no he does say it four times, he says it once then pauses then says the other 3 in quick succession.

Comment by Alan – January 25, 2014 06:25 AM PDT
  • Comment by LinWood – January 23, 2014 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Insert Troy Barnes “My Emotions” gif here

Comment by LinWood – January 23, 2014 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s impossible to boil down my feelings for this episode in one word, and I wouldn’t even try. That being said….

EPIC!

Comment by TV Gord – January 23, 2014 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • God, that ending had me full-on sobbing. All his goodbyes with the rest of the group were sweet, and Abed and Troy having “clone versions” of themselves to keep with them…I’m getting emotional just thinking about it all over again.
    Also, the reveal of Troy’s sailing partner? AWESOME :D. And I loved Hickey and his contraption he had as well.
    I’m going to miss the hell out of him, but what a fantastic way to send him off.

Comment by Angela – January 23, 2014 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m tearing up again reading what you said! I cried all the tears, I didn’t think that would ever happen during Community

Comment by DreamRose311 – January 23, 2014 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Troy and Abed in a bubble!”

Comment by cjeffery7 – January 23, 2014 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was perfection. It was perfect.

Comment by Tom Charles – January 23, 2014 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, this was perfection. Gum would also be perfection

Comment by DreamRose311 – January 23, 2014 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • you made me giggle with that Friends reference

Comment by Kat – January 23, 2014 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Now I wish to visit an ATM vestibule…

Comment by FriendsFan – January 23, 2014 11:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the episode – cried like a baby the last 5 minutes. Somebody hug me, please!

Comment by Karen – January 23, 2014 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad I’m not the only one who bawled! It was the perfect send off for Troy.

Comment by amy – January 23, 2014 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • two cast members down now
    and out of storylines
    wrap this sucker up

Comment by GuessWhat – January 23, 2014 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s obvious that you didn’t watch, therefore your opinion is meaningless.

Comment by TV Gord – January 23, 2014 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This season is so amazing. Whoever fired Dan Harmon last season needs to be fired from whatever position they hold.

Comment by Et al. – January 23, 2014 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Those responsible for sacking the people who have been sacked, have been sacked.

Comment by LizzieB – January 23, 2014 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • +100 Monty Python reference!

Comment by Aimee – January 24, 2014 03:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i always appreciate monty python references, good job.

Comment by Alan – January 24, 2014 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Friends, Monty Python & an excellent Community? Bookmarking this page :)

Comment by Sara – January 24, 2014 11:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • With the way this season has gone so far, part of me is actually happy that Dan Harmon was gone last year. Obviously we all knew he was the genius behind Community, but after seeing the show with him, then without him, and now with him again, it just makes me appreciate his brilliance so much more.

There really is now show as inventive and superb as Community and having Dan Harmon leave and return just proves to the world how crucial he is to it.

Comment by Phil – January 23, 2014 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think it helped him tighten up his writing. Season 3 was really up and down, and he was in charge that year. I think the season away humbled him, which he needed. He has been better this year.

But the real test is yet to come. What does the show do now without Pierce and Troy?

Comment by Patrick – January 24, 2014 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Invite Leonard and Magnitude to join the study group? At least Leonard would bring the Let’s! LOL.

Comment by tobygees – January 24, 2014 07:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i think people are giving harmon way too much credit, he has only co-written the first episode of the season, other writers have handled the better episodes of the season, in other words the last two episodes the first 3 were a bit ropey to me, and they should be getting the credit they deserve for their great writing rather than harmon. ive got to wonder if it was never made public that he left or that he came back would we be getting these same reactions to the episodes, i highly doubt it.

Comment by Alan – January 24, 2014 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Just because you see one or two names in the “Written by” credit does not mean that writer(s) was solely responsible for everything you see on the screen. There are staff writers who contribute to every script, story editors who add/trim/edit as they see fit, and as showrunner, Harmon has absolute control. And though the credits may say “Written by Joe Schmo,” Mr. Schmo was likely ordered to write the shell of a script with certain plot points as outlined by Harmon, then fleshed out by Harmon and the rest of the staff. In fact, what you see on the screen may often bear little resemblance to what the epsode’s original writers came up with.

Comment by elf – January 24, 2014 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Phew I’m glad someone else feels this way. I’m a huge community fan but i have not been floored by this season so far except for this most recent episode. Everything I was reading online acted like Dan Harmon returning was the second coming but, and I’m not trying to be nasty, I haven’t noticed a huge improvement in the show. My opinion is probably in the minority but there it is. I did love this episode and especially how they let Britta have a moment or two- I’m sick of her being a punching bag.

Comment by morgan – January 24, 2014 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate it when actors leave shows to pursue other projects and try to make it big in movies, but then it comes back to bite them in the ass and have nothing.

Comment by S – January 23, 2014 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • he is not leaving for movies. He is doing more of his music and has the lead in another tv show called Atlanta.

Comment by alexa – January 24, 2014 12:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVED this episode. I laughed and cried. This was the most perfect way to send Troy off, both emotional and funny. It was a brilliant episode, but I’m going to miss #troyandabedinabubble

Comment by Ron – January 23, 2014 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is incredible. That is all.

Comment by Bartleby – January 23, 2014 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Troy this week and Anne Perkins and Chris Traeger next week! Ugh!

Comment by mikey – January 23, 2014 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Way cool! Now if only Chase’s character’s death was a ruse to get rid of Troy….

Comment by handsomesmitty – January 23, 2014 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Community made me cry! A perfect send off for Troy.

Comment by Crystal – January 23, 2014 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sorry to see you go, dong lover, but good luck to you in all your future endeavors, whether they be Childish Gambino, that new Atlanta show on FX, or whatever else you choose to do in life. Thanks for the memories. And the laughs.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – January 23, 2014 10:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was such an amazing episode. So glad Harmon has the reins again. This was one of their very best episodes of the series. I will miss Donald Glover’s Troy and look forward to seeing his new show.

Comment by rowan77 – January 23, 2014 11:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of the best character send-off episodes I have ever seen. It was strange, hilarious, and beautiful all at the same time. There is nothing else like Community on TV right now and I don’t think there ever will be. Love this show.

Comment by Tenney – January 24, 2014 03:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Agree with the general consensus here – an excellent send off for Troy, too many funny scenes and movie references parodied to mention, just glad Dan is back. One thing – I’ve been watching almost since the beginning, and never knew it was set in Colorado!

Comment by Jeff – January 24, 2014 04:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This also confused me. I always assumed it was California. It’s so sunny all the time! And it’s never snowing in the Christmas episodes.

Comment by gdv – January 24, 2014 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • thats because its filmed in california.

Comment by Alan – January 24, 2014 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Obviously they do, but usually shows try to fake winter time (have characters wear puffy coats, add some fake snow on the ground, etc.). I don’t think Community’s ever attempted to make it look cold outside. Anyway, I still love the show. I was just surprised at the Colorado mention.

Comment by gdv – January 24, 2014 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Other shows like The Middle, The Office, Glee and Buffy the Vampire Slayer film(ed) in California, yet they were able to have snow. The office actually had real snow for a snowball fight sequence outside. It’s just an error in planning on Harmon’s part.

Comment by reccer – January 24, 2014 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Though the snow on Buffy was a plot point, sort of. Or the after-effect of the plot. Since Buffy actually took place in California.

Comment by Summer – January 26, 2014 03:46 PM PDT
    • It says on the DVD packaging that it’s set in CO

Comment by morgan – January 24, 2014 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was an amazing episode and a great send off (but so heartbreaking </3). I love the direction Community has gone this season. The past three episodes have been pretty much perfection. I can't wait to see what will happen next. Bye Troy. Hopefully you'll come back after your trip. ;)

Comment by Austin – January 24, 2014 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yeah… Colorado??? it has clearly always been in Southern California. where the Colorado thing came from, i do not know!

Comment by Matt Barnes – January 24, 2014 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This episode was classic and original. Hilarious. Everyone on the show throws themselves fully into these oddball situations and it is funny how the whole campus always seems to change at the snap of a finger (like the first paintball episode, where the campus was transformed during Jeff’s 15 minute nap). The whole caterpillar/inchworm chair-based transportation system was freaking genius.

Seems to me they kept the door wide open for Troy’s return, if the show makes it that far.

Comment by R.O.B. – January 24, 2014 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love how the prizes always get bigger and bigger, making everyone take the games so seriously. (The Dean: “$50,000?!?!” [jumps onto desk])

Comment by gdv – January 24, 2014 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As classic as the paintball episodes. The concept was genius and the execution even better. I think it was my favorite Community episode ever…glad Harmon is back.

Comment by Weezy – January 24, 2014 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was a great episode. Great and epic way to say goodbye to Troy. I’ll miss seeing Troy and Abed together and their great adventures on the show.

Comment by Joey – January 24, 2014 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Beautiful. It was beautiful.

Comment by Taneem (@TeeManX) – January 24, 2014 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post