Vampire Diaries Celebrates 100 Episodes With Mind-Blowing Shocks — and Katherine's Demise?

Get More: Previews, Scoop

Vampire Diaries 100th episode SpoilersA former vampire on her deathbed, a recently broken up couple, blasts from the past and a whole lot of surprises.

There’s a bit of everything in The Vampire Diaries100th episode, airing this Thursday at 8/7c on The CW.

“There’s a couple good doozies between familiar faces that might show up and storylines that might be resolved in ways that fans thought they’d never be resolved,” teases executive producer Julie Plec, adding to watch out for “relationship moves that might really blow people’s minds.”

RELATED | Winter TV Spoiler-palooza: Exclusive Scoop on 31 Returning Series, Including The Vampire Diaries

Plec and fellow EP Caroline Dries set out “to have a little bit of fun” writing the momentous hour, Plec says. “You want to be 100 percent true to the story at all times. But in this episode, we let ourselves take a few extra nostalgia liberties so that we can celebrate some faces from the past, remember some moments from the past and make it a big party for everybody that was making it, as well.”

While the 5-year-old series celebrates a milestone offscreen, its characters host a vigil of sorts for the show’s villainess. As Katherine Pierce lies dying from old age in the Salvatore mansion, Elena and her friends take delight in toasting her demise.

“There’s a lot of people amongst our heroes who’ve been waiting for the day that they could watch Katherine Pierce go off gently into that good night,” previews Plec. “There’s a strange celebratory element to it, which granted, is a little insensitive, but as they start going through all the terrible things she’s ever done to them, it seems a little bit merited.”

PHOTOS | Vampire Diaries Cast, Producers Share Their Favorite Scenes

But Katherine wasn’t always a master manipulator and schemer. As the episode flashes back to the night she gave birth to a baby girl, “We’re really going to have an opportunity to understand Katherine in a new light,” says Candice Accola. “It’s a really great look at this character.

“If you really look at it, she’s the root that started this whole [story],” the actress continues. “The only reason Stefan stopped in Mystic Falls was because he thought he saw Katherine. The only reason Damon returned to Mystic Falls was because he was looking for Katherine. The only reason Caroline is a vampire is because of Katherine. The only reason Damon and Stefan ever became vampires was because of Katherine. And Elena is her doppelganger, so all brings it together. We’re really going to get to know the root of this group in a new light, and we’re going to learn more about her, and what she’s going through as a human.”

However, one person sympathizes with — rather than takes pleasure in — Katherine’s plight. “Stefan is having a more bittersweet reaction to it,” reveals Plec. “He’s been as victimized by her over the centuries as anybody else. And yet, he can’t help but feel compassion for this woman, this survivor, who has reached the end of the line.”

It seems something’s gotten into the younger Salvatore, because he even finds himself playing peacekeeper between his brother Damon and his new ex Elena. In separate moments with each of them, “Stefan actually tries to help them talk through what happened [in their split] and why and help them each understand it,” says Plec.

“In a strange way, Stefan is actually being a good friend to both of them in this episode and helping them come to terms with what it is Damon and Elena actually want from each other and whether their relationship is over like they think it is.”

But back to those doozies. With so many big twists and surprises promised, one can’t help but wonder what the viewer reception will be like.

“I definitely think the fans are going to lose their minds,” replies Kat Graham. “I think the fans are going to be in ecstasy when they watch it… There are some things that happen in the 100th episode that are going to make a couple people stand on their couches and scream at their TV, ‘Yes, yes, yes!’”

Comments (29)

• I can’t wait to see this episode!!!

Comment by Ava – January 22, 2014 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why am I now afraid that, while some people will be yelling “yes yes yes!” I’ll be yelling “no no no!”

Comment by soundscene – January 22, 2014 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They’ll only be doing that if they’re Daniel Bryan fans.

Comment by Jaime – January 22, 2014 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Who????

Comment by dude – January 22, 2014 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Unless you’re a professional wrestling fan, you’re not going to know who Daniel Bryan is.

Comment by lll – January 22, 2014 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Aaaannnd now for the new hottest tvd couple delena and stelena are OUT its klause and caroline whoop! Excited for the love making scene

Comment by Chantall – January 29, 2014 04:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope the hype is justified. All the spoilers I heard should mean this will be a blast but I hope they don’t let us down.

Comment by Maki – January 22, 2014 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lovely of them to have Kat Graham hyping the episode when Bonnie most likely won’t even have more than a minute of screentime, let alone have anything to do with these shockingly fantastic twists. It’ll be The Triangle Hour, as per ushe.

Comment by Ian – January 22, 2014 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, the “triangle” are the main characters on the show, so…

Comment by soundscene – January 22, 2014 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really don’t want Katherine to die 😔 i love her character, and hands down she is one of the bedt characters on TVD. I’d take Katherine over Elena any time….

Comment by Luli – January 22, 2014 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This!! ^^^^

Comment by V – January 22, 2014 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Katherine’s the last really good character on TVD aside from Caroline so if she goes. I may just exclusively watch The Originals. Which is the far superior show anyway.

Comment by dude – January 22, 2014 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I disagree. I don’t think the Originals has quite found its footing yet. There’s too many characters and subplots going for a first season. I think the show needs more focus. I’m having a hard time finding many of the characters likeable. Thus far, for me:
        Likeable: Elijah, Rebekah, Camille, Josh (the young vampire)
        Unlikeable: Hayley, Marcel, Sophie, Davina
        Depends on the moment: Klaus
        I don’t care if Klaus is bad–he can be likeable and bad; but sometimes he’s unlikeable and bad. Unlike TVD, I find this show isn’t quite as good at making “evil” characters likeable. In fact, I think Klaus was actually more likeable as a super evil guy on TVD.
        In contrast, I found nearly all of TVD’s characters likeable from the start.

Comment by soundscene – January 22, 2014 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Katherine and will be very disappointed if she dies. Honestly, many of the characters have done deeds that are equal to or worse than some of Katherine’s. It feels very hypocritical to me for them to celebrate her death.

Comment by Jess (@CrashandBurn9) – January 22, 2014 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • EXACTLY. This is my issue with TVD. The way they practically wine and dine with Klaus (let’s not even go there with Caroline) and then treat Katherine like the scum of the earth… it never made any sense to me. Also, I hope stupid Elena takes a moment to realize she singlehandedly sentenced Katherine to a cruel and long death; one of the nastiest things she’s done imo

Comment by Jonas – January 23, 2014 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agree!

Comment by Amber – January 27, 2014 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completly agree with u

Comment by Amber – January 27, 2014 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking forward to this episode, but i am afraid that what they are going to do is stick Katherine in Elena

Comment by hello – January 22, 2014 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It seems like they were hinting at this, that they would switch bodies with the whole dagger thing and her saying something about being a traveller. Maybe too obvious.

Comment by dan – January 22, 2014 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ha, yeah, I could totally see them having both Katherine and Elena in Elena’s body together and since each of them are in love with one of the brothers, they just go forward as a split-time threesome relationship.

But surprise me Julie. I really want to be surprised.

Comment by DD – January 22, 2014 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They did put Katherine in elana I can’t believe they did that I wonder if anybody will notice and what will happen when they do

Comment by cara – January 23, 2014 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not going to be happy if one of the twists is Stefan and Caroline getting together…

Comment by Babybop – January 22, 2014 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • thats all it needs to happen for me to abandon TVD once and for all. Damon & Elena getting together has ruined the entire dynamic of the show. Chase was always more thrilling than the catch itself.

Comment by jjovana3 – January 22, 2014 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring back Alaric!!!!!

Comment by L.M. – January 22, 2014 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Katherine takes over her daughter’s body in true selfish Katherine way, while disappointing audiences as Katherine is the only good character Nina plays.

Comment by Justin – January 22, 2014 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Katherine can’t die because I love her sooo much and her and Stefan finally have “something” together and I support what the beautiful actress said “Katherine is the root of this show”

Comment by Delena forever – January 23, 2014 12:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Unless they’re bringing Alaric back, I literally don’t care. At all. Which is sad because this used to be one of my favorite shows.

Comment by Hmm – January 23, 2014 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate Katherine, its time for her to die. She stopped being needed a long time ago. Now we have Elena to be the selfish, heartless bitch

Not a fan of Nina Dobrev characters, I cant even stand Elena anymore. Please at least just kill off one doppelganger.

Comment by Crest – January 23, 2014 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love klaroline. long storyline between them, the chemistry between the characters, her forgiveness of his sins, her concern for him, her attraction to him, his willingness to wait for her no matter how much time has gone, his desire to be her last love, his desire to show her the world, its desire to build a life itself, to learn, her inner struggle with feelings for him … as well all began. . it would be epic love! many fans have klaroline . and it is clear. if further Caroline finished her relationship with Tyler , continued to study, rescued friends and began to suffer nocturnal memories of Klaus and Klaus in turn, also reminisced about Caroline at night and in the mornings . it would be very logical. Love – however long it takes – it’s EPIC LOVE. then it is possible to build a line – how can you love a man who has a child with another woman – and how to overcome this obstacle to be together . and so on. Klaus said he would wait for her when she knocks on his door . let ‘s wait and suffering sexual memories. in the end , Klaus may just steal Caroline of MF – THEN CONTRACT will be respected and they will be together . What I personally really want .

Comment by Anast_Klaroline (@anastasya1501) – January 26, 2014 12:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post