The Originals Post Mortem: Can [Spoiler] Be Resurrected? And Who's the New Enemy?

The Originals Season 1 SpoilersThe Harvest came, and the Harvest took, on Tuesday night’s The Originals.

After fighting back against the age-old practice, Davina offered herself up to save thousands of lives. But there was a hiccup in Sophie’s plan for the young witch: The four sacrificed girls didn’t come back to life, because someone else had taken their magic.

RELATED | Winter TV Spoiler-palooza: Exclusive Scoop on 31 Returning Series, Including The Originals

Is all hope lost for reviving the sacrificial lambs? And what’s the deal with Elijah’s nasty ex, who revealed she’s been inhabiting Sabine’s body for a year after resurrecting three dead witches? Executive producer Julie Plec answers those burning questions and more below.

TVLINE | Is our little powerhouse teen witch really gone? Is she really dead?
[Laughs] Look, the mythology of the Harvest is that these four witches pass into limbo, waiting for their magic to spread back to the Earth. After their magic is spread back to the Earth, then they would be resurrected. What we saw at the end of the episode is that their magic was, basically, hijacked. If you follow the logic of the mythology to its magical conclusion, then it’s possible that we haven’t seen the last of these girls. But we’ve got to get rid of these nasty hijackers first. [Laughs]

TVLINE | Is there still a chance of completing the Harvest?
There is absolutely still a chance within the window of when it needs to be completed. But these new witches who have come back from the dead are very determined, very angry, and each of them, individually, have an axe to grind on behalf of the witches [against] the Original family. The next few episodes are not going to be a lot of fun for Klaus, Rebekah and Elijah. They start to realize these witches were not arbitrarily chosen.

RELATED | The Originals Season 1 Casts Elyse Levesque as Witch

TVLINE | Rebekah lost her “inside man” when Davina died. What’s her next move? Is she still plowing ahead with her plan to take over?
Rebekah’s been very much on the offense for the last few episodes. As a result of these witches having returned, the whole family, Rebekah included, find themselves on the defense. It definitely throws a wrench into her intentions of building allies and plotting against Marcel and Klaus, because she’s actually fighting for her own survival. It changes up that dynamic in a really interesting way.

TVLINE | Davina’s pictures of Celeste were supposed to be of evil, and yet this was a woman that Elijah loved. Was any of that real? Was she always evil and using him?
It takes a couple of episodes, but eventually she’s going to say her peace, and Elijah’s going to understand exactly what it is that she’s doing and why she’s directing all this revenge toward him and his family.

RELATED | The CW’s Midseason Plan: Beauty and the Beast‘s Spring Break, New Slots for Three Shows

TVLINE | Who would you say takes the Davina fallout the hardest? It seems like it would be Marcel, maybe Sophie in a way….
It’s definitely Marcel. He was her surrogate father, in a way. He feels this loss very deeply and has a hard time getting back in the game, much to Klaus’ frustration. Klaus is like, “Alright, that sucks. Let’s get back to business,” and Marcel is grieving; he’s really not interested in the day-to-day machinations of running New Orleans. So Klaus and Marcel hit a little bit of a bump in their partnership.

1. A says:

Is it really necessary to bring Davina back? She’s one of the weaker links of the show.

• hannah says:

yes. no she was one of the best parts of the show.

• Sofie says:

I agree, Davina is a weak character. She has supposedly unlimited power, yet all she ever does is sit in her room, whine, throw tantrums and occasionally magically throw/kill people. Seems like a lot of unused potential for this all-powerful witch. They should’ve just let her come along to fights. Maybe it’s the actress who’s simply not very talented, but I’m just not buying the character. If they bring her back, I hope she will be different. Maybe just having normal amounts of powers will make her less like a spoilt kid.

• Mary says:

Davina watched 3 of her friends get their throats slit and was only saved from the same fate because of Marcel. She’s a teenage girl that has to stay in hiding if she wants to stay alive, how exactly is she supposed to act? If she was a quiet little witch who never stood up to vampires you’d be complaining about how boring of a character she is. Yet her throwing vampires around that would potentially harm her is a tantrum?

• Adam says:

I agree she doesn’t bring anything interesting to the table at all so I was so happy when they finally killed her.

• Cindy says:

“Davina: grew on me, I think she did a good job and was finding her voice finally; really like she and Josh, good dynamic…hoping she’ll be back – vampire’s and witches can’t be counted out, there is always a way to bring them back :)

• jessi says:

I’d love her to come back. She was probably my favorite character.

• pria says:

She became my favorite. She BETTER come back! Can’t imagine TO without her.

• queenimplosion says:

I am in total agreement with you. I think the show totally messed up with the creation of this character as a main sub character…..Davina, Cami and Sofie are useless in my mind. Personally Devina as a character worked for a time, but she has served her purpose and it is time to let go. Same goes for Sofie if you ask me. Cami…..not really sure why the creators think that they need her. There are plenty of other moral compasses on the show….like Elijah….and of course the reverend. I wish the show would take the time to explore more of the werewolf stuff which seems in line with the story arc versus the witch Armageddon vendetta for Klaus.

• 123 says:

Are you crazy? YES! She is the best new character they’ve come up for this whole thing since like the beginning of it all.
      They sure as heck better have not gotten rid of her for good. They show was building up so well, far better than TVD actually IMO, which seems soapier, but this kinda let the air out of it all, but only if it’s really for real permanent. I just hope they are not that foolish.

2. sophie says:

It was a really good episode but very hard to watch. I never hated and loved a character at the same time as much as Klaus.
    Davina has grown on me, so I’m glad she’ll be back. She has become a major player, since she has developed pretty interesting relationships with almost everyone on the show.
    Sophie on the other hand is pretty much useless,
    I enjoy The Originals so much more then TVD, the endless love triangle really killed that show.

• spignejr says:

I aggree. The Originals is MUCH more intriguing than The Vampire Diaries. I just haven’t loved this season of TVD like the other ones, and I think that primarily had to do with the Originals in the last 3 seasons, who now have their own show.

The constant back and forth of the triangle also is annoying. Kevin needs to understand this is NOT Dawson’s Creek. And even then, it was so much more interesting when Joey was with neither Dawson nor Pacey. Seasons 5 and 6 are my favorite of those two because there’s none of the unnecessary teen angst crap that went on throughout 2-4.

And back to the Originals… I’m glad that Davina is dead for now, to be honest, because she honestly didn’t do much, like others have said. At least Sophie was trying to get things done.

Oh, and can Elijah just (a) forgive Hayley, and (b) forget the apparently dead Celeste. I agree completely with Hayley. Their chemistry is so much better than him and Celeste. Even from the first episode.

Again, this show is SO MUCH BETTER than TVD. The Originals FTW. :)

• Kim says:

I’m pretty sure Kevin Williamson has not been heavyily involved with TVD since the end of the second season; I believe he left to work on The Secret Circle and is now writing The Following, so he’s not really to blame for how poorly written the show has been the last couple of years, he also left Dawson’s Creek in its later season as well.

• Lena says:

I love Davina’s relationship with Marcel. I like that Marcel plays the big brother/father role with her and this last episode demonstrated how much he really cared for her. With the whole witches against vampires theme around this show, it is interesting to see a vampire legitimately love a witch and see her as family. Marcel obviously didn’t lose all of his humanity as a vampire.

3. Jake says:

In the beginning I would agree she was a weak part. But the last few eps she became one of the best.

4. Michelle says:

Does no one stay dead on these vampire shows anymore?!

5. Maki says:

I adore how gentle this girl is. She has such a great charisma. She was so angle like as she was living in her little attic. I don’t know if I want her back, it’s a pretty messy thing. But I must say I was impressed by her performance last night she really brought it. Now I’m more interested in Celeste and the other dark ones ( let’s call them Voldermorts) and their Original back story. I think the red rad will have some Rebekah interaction, some cat fight or something.

6. ggny says:

So Celeste was the love of Elijah life but somehow he didnt know that was her the whole time he was standing next to her?

7. Erika says:

Props to the writers! They have actually left cookie crumbs about Sabine and Elijah since the first episode. I cant wait for the next one!

8. Sunny says:

The Orginals took be by surprise!! I didn’t expect to like this show as much as I do. I find myself excited for Tuesdays because of this show. I liked Davinia and hope she comes back, I love her and Marcel. The weak character on this show for me is Cami. She adds nothing besides empty threat to Klaus and I wouldn’t mind seeing her leave the show !!! The witches on this show I find more enjoyable then AHS:coven!!!

9. Meiah says:

Sophie and Cami are my least favorite, I would’t mind to see them go. At first I didn’t care for Davina but she grew on me.

This episode was probably my favorite since the ep where Klaus (forcefully) regained Marcels allegiance.

Last but not least, I agree with everyone The Originals is much better than TVD though TVD still has a place in my heart!

• Jolie says:

I love Cami and I like Sophie. Cami brings out a different side of Klaus.
      Sophie is alot like Elijah, yet he’s so judgemental on her when he’s acted just as bad for his own family.

• Katie Q says:

I agree Sophie and Cami should go away!! However I adore both The Originals and The Vampire Diaries!! Those of you that just want to insult the creators and writers of these 2 shows or say rude things about Vampire Diaries why don’t you keep your rude comments to yourselves!!! Children read these comments so set a good example and if you can’t say something nice don/t say anything at all!! If ya don.t like a show don’t watch it but don’t ruin it for those of us that do!! I am referring to those of you that are saying rude things about TVD keep your snarky comments to yourselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Hazeleyes says:

Is anyone else wondering how long these girls had been dead before So

11. Hazeleyes says:

Is anyone else wondering how long these girls had been dead before Sophie attempted the Harvest? I was seriously concerned they were going to be suffering from “zombie skin” when they were resurrected…

12. JAO says:

Love the show & Elijah. Don’t like Sophie at all.

13. Nicole says:

So was Celeste making the element chaos happen? Or was that really the Harvest?

• Ric Fule says:

I thought it was actually the Harvest. But didn’t SABINE/Celeste cast the protection spell on Davina? Maybe when she did, she tied an elemental aspect into the resurrection? Or just amplified Davina’s paranoia to speed up the Harvest?

What I want to know is how did she only revive three? Unless the fourth was Celeste herself? Maybe Sabine found Celeste’s bones earlier and consecrated them and so gained her power. And then, during the Harvest/Reaping, the power of the fourth witch revived Celeste. Nah. If that was the case, Celeste would not have used the line about “I’ve been Sabine for a year. Call me by my real name: Celeste.”

14. Carena says:

I really hope they bring davina back Marcel toke it really hard he cared for her like a little sister.

15. Chloe says:

I hope they bring Devina back :)

16. Mikael says:

If Celeste has been possessing Sabine for a year, I wonder who woke her up. Was it Sabine herself? I liked the shoutout to Mama Original. As a fan of TVD, they say that the Originals’ mother was the most powerful witch and she created the Originals. But TVD also has that Quetsia thing going on and she created Silas the first Immortal. So who came first and who is more powerful? Is it just a huge continuity error??

• Ric Fule says:

Silas wasn’t technically a vampire, though. Qetsiyah is older than the Originals. The Originals are the ones who said that their mother was the most powerful witch. So, they might not have known about Qetsiyah?

17. Natalia says:

Davina is one of the STRONGEST characters on the show.
    The witches have definitely made this show more fun to watch.
    They go toe to toe with The Originals. Finally a foe they can’t get rid of.
    I hope Davina comes back with the rest of the girls.
    The only fans complaining about her are the Klaus fans who are surprised JP is letting her favorite villian finally get his ass kicked for once. Did they think redemption would be easy?