Exclusive: The Mentalist Casts Graceland Actor as Lisbon's New Beau

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

The Mentalist Cast Lisbon BoyfriendThe Mentalist sees possible romance on the horizon for one Teresa Lisbon.

TVLine has learned exclusively that Pedro Pascal — whose recent TV credits include Graceland, Red Widow and an upcoming arc as Game of Thrones‘ Oberyn Martell — has joined the CBS procedural in the recurring role of FBI Special Agent Marcus Pike.

Pike is described as “a charming man with integrity, a blue-collar cop with FBI smarts.” As previously scooped by my Inside Line column, when the G-man enlists Jane and Lisbon to help track a band of art thieves, he takes an instant shine to the latter and sets out to sweep her off her feet.

Pascal debuts in Episode 16, and will be around for at least five episodes. The Mentalist resumes Season 6 on March 9, with Episode 13.

Want more scoop on The Mentalist, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Comments (82)

• So that means if this is the show’s final season (see The Cancellation Bear), the showrunners have decided that Jisbon shippers can suck it. Too bad.

Comment by EL – January 22, 2014 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s what frustrates me! A renewal isn’t looking to great and now they want to do this for 5 episodes.

Comment by Heather – January 22, 2014 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t listen to anything the bear says. They don’t know anything. It’s all speculation. Ratings have been decent this year.

Comment by Anna – January 22, 2014 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Especially since the show is getting cheaper by losing two high cost regulars. And since Intelligence is cratering.

Comment by Patrick – January 22, 2014 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • i don’t think the producers and wiiters intelligency is really cratering lately

Comment by Mary – January 23, 2014 12:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Mentalist is not going to be cancelled this year, as Season 6 has better ratings than the last 2 seasons & the quality of the episodes (especially the serialized end to Red John & the transfer to Texas) is far better than S4/S5. So no logic in cancelling the show, which surely has another season in it.

Comment by Rich Abey – January 22, 2014 09:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So who is JISBON. ????? Not Lisbon so who is it?

Comment by Thor – February 22, 2014 11:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • it’s the fans that want to see both Jane and Lisbon together as say a couple

Comment by missteff – February 27, 2014 06:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i knoe…..how can they do that!!!!!!

Comment by susan – March 8, 2014 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • IMO The Mentalist is not the same anymore, l just cannot get into it, this new FBI woman does not come over as good as Lisbon does, and Grace, ooh that fringe is awful, get rid of it please, and programme makers please give Patrick something he can really get his teeth into, not just seem to go along with the flow, its a waster of Simon Bakers talents.

Comment by MJW – April 3, 2014 04:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • you are so right! Patrick needs to have better story lines, use his mental abilities, with his beautiful face…Grace and goofball are just kind of extra at this point. I would like to see more stories concentrate on Cho..

Comment by Holly Stumpf – April 10, 2014 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like Pike for Lisbon. Why can’t Jane just be a good friend? Does every lead character have to be with the other lead character? Geez people. Grow up!

Comment by Stephie59 – April 15, 2014 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m happy for the arc in the show for Lisbon’s sake. Jane left and for 2-years she sat around in Washington State working and receiving letters from him. Taking no other actions in her life. Perhaps Jane will realize he did indeed miss out on something.

On the topic of possible cancellation I do not dare believe CBS will cancel TM. Because when I do, I see red. And Patrick Jane would not approve of this.

Comment by Erin – January 22, 2014 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • the reason I stopped watching tm was because it was getting too dark. and “the red” oh we got him, no you didn’t, oh we got him now, no you didn’t . I’m sick of the red get him or quit looking for him, BORING.

Comment by Ann Parker – January 31, 2014 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You do realize that story arc has ended. They caught Red John before you even posted this comment. So, if that was your only reason for not watching, you can come back. Why spend time commenting when you’re not watching and don’t even know what’s going on??? Odd…

Comment by Victora – April 7, 2014 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is very bad damn it Bruno Heller,,,they’re going to cancel the show and you are still building your characters if you didn’t give the audiences what they want they will stop watching and I’m really I see cancelation is in the air
    is it mean we’ve to say goodbye to our jisbon dream

Comment by Adelaide – January 22, 2014 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think the show should be only about jlisbon, What about the entire and original cast? What about good and interesting crimes and investigation?

Comment by Mary – January 23, 2014 12:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cinco episódios? É, parece que Heller está de brincadeira com a nossa cara. E o Jisbon? Triste demais. Se for o cancelamento da série, tinha que ser um final com chave de ouro, para ser lembrado por todos os fãs!

Comment by Larissa Ellen – January 22, 2014 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know why people are so negative about this news… you should enjoy the show and trust the crew, i mean, after 6 years, you still don’t think Bruno are not giving us what we want?

Comment by K, – January 22, 2014 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. Have people already forgotten that Jane got to have his personal revenge on Red John (just as we fans hoped for) after all this time?

Comment by Rich Abey – January 22, 2014 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dont worry, Jisbon will probably develop alongside this boyfriend storyline.
    Jisbon is end game.

Comment by cmc5223 – January 22, 2014 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope not! Prefer the close friendship over romance with these two.

Comment by Lu – January 22, 2014 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. Not every male/female duo has to end up together, and those two seem better off friends.

Comment by Sophonisbe – January 22, 2014 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I definitely agree! It would be weird for me to see them together. They have a more plutonic love, like brother and sister or best friends.

Comment by Cora – February 15, 2014 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • don’t like soap opera, this was a good police drama, fun to watch. Jlisbon is ok, but please add something else, not just romance

Comment by Mary – January 23, 2014 12:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Nothing wrong with Lisbon having a boyfriend. However than I agree with the others. Than never bring lisbon and jane together. Than it’s fine.

However if this storyline is a way to start the whole jisbon thing, trough jealousy, love triangles etc. Than I would hate it and seems very unoriginal writing to me. Sounds like the last few episodes of season 2 of Castle.

So either Heller wants to bring them together, than start now without letting them start dating others.

Or decide to never bring them together and than he can start giving them other relationships as much as he like.

I mean what’s next? Jane and Kim?

Comment by WDV – January 31, 2014 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I really don’t care for Kim. I’d like to see her transferred to another office and Lisbon promoted. Jane is too crazy for Lisbon but he respects her, even though he runs amok, she’s got the patience to deal with him. The saga of RJ went on way too long for me. I hope they don’t drag the story line of trying to get the person or persons trying to assassinate the CBI team. I think the network was trying to kill the show by taking it off the air for so long. They sure came up with a lot of of new duds.

Comment by Penny – March 15, 2014 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Add Rigsby and Van pelt i miss the entire original characters

Comment by anne – February 23, 2014 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait to see how Jane reacts. This will be such an interesting storyline. Jisbon is end game. Here’s hoping for season 7.

Comment by enri – January 22, 2014 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PLEASE CBS GIVE US SEASON 7.

- The Fandom

Comment by TM – January 22, 2014 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lisbon having someone interested ion her could force Patrick to examine his own feelings and make his own move on her.Plus he may not know if Lisbon sees him as more than a friend or not and she doesn’t then he may not want to ruin their friendship by admitting his feelings.Plus the article doesn’t say how Lisbon feels about this guy really and she may like a guy pursuing her.

Comment by Andrew Hass – January 22, 2014 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Given how perceptive Jane is, I think I would find it hard to believe that he doesn’t know exactly how Lisbon feels about him. I’m pretty sure he can read her like a book. I agree with what you said about Lisbon’s new love interest probably causing Jane to make a move though.

Comment by starfox9 – January 22, 2014 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree when you say jane is perceptive. How does ‘the mentalist’ miss something like that and do not know his own feelings? he sleeps with that every night, but when it comes to make a move, too slow. he seduces and hooks up with lot of women, but no feelings involved; however if it’s something personal (like lisbon) the man takes a lot of time (see RJ). I think that’s the point. and about she, she knows what she feels too, come on, reading his letters every night was like graving for her lost love….. they already have feelings, just need to be clear about it.

Comment by dr.j – January 23, 2014 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • i don’t see jane getting together with lisbon. it’s not because he doesn’t know her feelings or his own; he clearly does. but he also knows that he’s a sociopath, and he wouldn’t be good for lisbon. as much as he cares for her, she needs someone she can trust, who will tell her the truth, an whom she can count on. jane is not really any of those things in the husband-y sense. he’s someone she can count on in a pinch, but not in the everyday, who will tell her hard truths but lie when it suits his purposes. he’s just not the right guy for her.

Comment by fb – March 10, 2014 09:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I agree. I think there is great love between Lisbon and Jane but not romantic love.

Comment by Mentalist fan – March 31, 2014 03:02 PM PDT
    • It is quite obvious that Teresa likes of Patrick, see episodes 5×22 / 5×16 / 6×07 / 6×08 / 6×12 …

Comment by Juliana_Br – January 23, 2014 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My guess is that if they don’t renew the show, this guy being interested in Lisbon is going to be the catalyst that makes Jane realise that he needs to make a move with Lisbon in the finale (Lisbon has been single for ages, or at the very least hasn’t had a relationship strong enough to make Jane worry). If they do renew it then they might string the relationship out a while longer and have Jane realise a little more gradually that he needs to make a move or lose Lisbon. I still have faith that Jisbon are end game. My only fear is that they’re leaving it quite late to bring this guy in when renewal isn’t certain, so if this is the last season they’re going to have to make their relationship develop quite a lot over a short time while still being believable.

Comment by starfox9 – January 22, 2014 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t like getting in on speculation and rumors, etc. but I must say that 5 episodes with this new guy is both good and bad news. First it says that it is not a permanent thing but also tells us that we are going to have to be upset with the situation for 5 episodes! I love the show and part of it is because of the Lisbon/Jane situation. I can see this new guy causing Jane to get his act together and I think Lisbon does need to be sought after by a handsome guy to keep her from getting too depressed with her dateless life BUT can’t they wrap it up in 3 episodes or less? I am not just a romantic who loves Jisbon but someone who loves both Lisbon and Jane for themselves and for the dynamics that is the two of them interacting. If I just liked each of them then I could be happy about Lisbon having some handsome guy come in and sweep her off her feet and I could have been excited for Jane when Kim started showing interest in him. I guess what I am saying is that it is not just a romance for each of them that I am seeking but a romance between them. Their chemistry is remarkable and very rare and they absolutely belong together. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

Comment by Bonnie – January 22, 2014 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. But the thing that is also worrisome is that he is there for ‘at least’ 5 episodes leaving the door open for even more.

Comment by EL – January 22, 2014 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i absolutely agree with your whole comment – and even 1 ep would be enough for this bf stuff

Comment by 1998charity – January 23, 2014 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I sure hope they give the Mentalist a 7th season. It’s to bad people don’t go on the CBS timeline and let them know how much they like the show. A lot of people would have to do it before they would listen.

Comment by Christy Aposhian – January 22, 2014 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I enjoyed the locations of the scenes of the original format. The story lines were more of a detective type dynamic or “who dun it” scenario. It’s beginning to get a bit too sophisticated. Keep it simple and fun so you can connect with a wider audience.

Comment by bob – March 15, 2014 10:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t like the new cast of characters. Can’t stand Kim.not enough crime solving
        The way they used to do things.what is going on with Simons hair??
        Haven’t liked this show since the new format and it used to be my favorite show.

Comment by Inez – April 2, 2014 06:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • fabulous! glad to see Lisbon get some lovin’

Comment by liz – January 22, 2014 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • loosing interest lately except for the last scenes of episode 6×12. I don’t see any interesting FBI crime, and i don’t like the new characters, they should keep the entire original cast ,and they can write better crimes cases. Develop Jlisbon but they don’t need to add girlfriends, boyfriends…

Comment by Mary – January 23, 2014 12:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lisbon’s getting a boyfriend? Oh, so I will take a shot in the dark and say he’s the one who killed Osvaldo Ardiles (and possibly Rigsby and/or Van Pelt) and Jane will save her; thus giving Jisbon shippers their payoff.

Comment by Michael Bishop Emery – January 22, 2014 11:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i better watch criminal minds than a good sere becomes a melodramatic show

Comment by Mary – January 23, 2014 12:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meh. Too bad it’s not Jane. They’re great together.

Comment by Liz – January 23, 2014 02:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO! I want Lisbon and Jane to be together! Why do showrunners do this? They know the show may not be picked up and they know the fans want a certain pairing and yet they procrastinate or just ignore the uncertainty and the fans are left hanging! This is NOT the way you build/maintain audiences or sell DVD box sets!

Comment by Caroline – January 23, 2014 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone else have issues trying to post comments using Google Chrome? I always have to switch to IE to have my comments appear on TVLine!

Comment by Caroline – January 23, 2014 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, now that they are co-workers and not supervisor – employee (even though Jane didn’t really work directly for Lisbon), they can carry on any way they want.

Comment by Jeff – January 23, 2014 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Total Jisbon person here. I can’t see them winding up with anyone else long term.

Comment by kirads09 – January 23, 2014 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To me whenever I hear the terms “takes an instant shine” and “sweep her off her feet”, about a male character on a show, I always get the feeling that something isn’t right about them. (I’m not saying thats the case here, though O’Loughlin took a shine to Van Pelt and seemed to have swept her off her feet and look what happen there. So it just makes you wonder. Again I’m not saying thats the case here.)

Comment by Mark Strong (@mws5689) – January 23, 2014 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am very excited to see Pedro Pascal coming in for an arc and how Jane will react to his character. I am also actively hoping for a seventh season for the show.

Comment by Kay – January 23, 2014 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Guys, this boyfriend of Lisbon from what I understand and have read on other sites too, will not last long. My bet is that he is a servant of Red John. ☺

Comment by Juliana_Br – January 23, 2014 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My guess about how long it will last will depend on whether there is a seventh season or not. (I mean I can see them stringing the possibility of a deeper relationship between Jane and Lisbon along for another whole season.)

Comment by Mark Strong (@mws5689) – January 26, 2014 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not another Red John follower surely? Didn’t they do that with Van Pelt’s fiance? It would be a little repetitive to use the same stunt again… Having said that, with only a few eps left and possibly no 7th season, he is bound to either last forever or not long at all… So far I do not have strong feelings about this character one way or another… I guess he is a bit bland so far…

Comment by redjane12 – April 5, 2014 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I so wish for a season 7. I love the Mentalist.

Comment by Em Wright – January 24, 2014 06:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought they were going to give Patrick and Lisbon a chance, what a rotten thing to do, after all this time.

Comment by Gerry – January 28, 2014 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is ridiculous that the JISBON fans have to suffer again but hopefully the competition will convince Jane to finally admit to Theresa how he really feels please a season 7 there are so few really great shows on network tv

Comment by Gerri – February 1, 2014 10:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I stopped watching the show the day I learnt they are chopping off rigsby and van pelt.thanks bruno but its sayonara from me.

Comment by Sam-Gooner (@Sangbaran) – February 4, 2014 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i will stop watching the show after 6×15 the last episode of rigsby and van pelt. Hope season 7 will reunite the original team then i will watch again

Comment by anne – February 5, 2014 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • totally agree such a good cast…i will stop watching the show after 6×15, PJ can investigates just “important persons” with this new boring fbi characters

Comment by anne – February 23, 2014 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so glad revenge is returning.LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by LINDA – February 7, 2014 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i like the Mentalist BUT’, LIKE DANCING with stars better.

Comment by LINDA – February 7, 2014 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Nashville a lot. PLZ,PLZ,!!!!!!keep them around.l’m from tennessee and love the music.makes me feel wonderful.THANKS.

Comment by LINDA – February 7, 2014 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess I have a lot of catching up to do and it looks like the original gang I liked is no more as van pelt and Rigby is no longer around what a shame as I always liked Jane playing jokes on them and bantering about their so non secret feelings for each other.

Comment by Shannon – February 15, 2014 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i love PJ and Lisbon but Cho Rigsby and Van Pelt are unique too

Comment by anne – February 23, 2014 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They have changed the time of the mentalist. At least on the reruns. It comes on 1 hour early. Just before the good wife. I just hope the ratings go up so there will be a 7th season.

Comment by Christy Aposhian – February 21, 2014 01:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They NEED to bring back & keep Van Pelt & Rigsby!!!!

Comment by Oscar – February 21, 2014 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes,totally agree i miss the team. The mentalist it’s not the same without the original cast.

Comment by anne – February 23, 2014 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Van Pelt and Rigsby had several seasons about their on again off again relationship and Rigsby has a child from someone else. Even Cho had a relationship for awhile with his informant; it seems that now the focus for romance should be on Jane and Lisbon but whether they are meant to be together is not the job of the viewer, but the job of a high-paid professional writing staff that’s duty is to help the audience learn about themselves and have the given circumstances be truthful. I love this show, but I watch it for the drama as the primary story-line and for the romance between characters as a secondary story-line. I am mostly intrigued by the abilities of Patrick Jane to read people and situations. It still mystifies me and I hope that the LAPD who rule my hood, have people like this working for them.

Comment by Richard Liberman – February 23, 2014 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’m surprised that the mentalist has lasted this long to tell you the truth, I love the originals and it’s not the same without them. i’m not that much of a “jisbon” fan but still love the show, most shows don’t last as long as they have so keep going and see what happens……I might not watch after 6×15 either but I want to know what happens. hopefully they can tie it up (if this is the last season) nicely for us fans-that have been there the whole time.

Comment by missteff – February 27, 2014 06:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this show, be wise CBS and renew it now!

Comment by fay – March 13, 2014 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mentalist is one of the few good shows still left on cable tv, along with NCIS & NCISLA, & PERSON OF INTEREST. Keep THE MENTALIST GOING on!

Comment by Harvey – March 30, 2014 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agreed … keep/renew The Mentalist!!! decent ratings, interesting w. better stories, writing than most of the shows on these days.

Comment by sheindie – March 31, 2014 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Has anyone else noticed that there is actually some very good acting going on here in The Mentalist – not just this new trend of quick, snappy dialogue which is often times very good, but also has me marveling more about how the actors can memorize so much dialogue for each show, instead of actually watching the show. Love The Mentalist ! Please bring it back for season 7!

Comment by Mentalist fan – March 31, 2014 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THE GOLDBERGS should NOT be cancelled. Each episode is based on an actual life occurrence that happened in Adam Goldberg’s family in the 80′s, as related by the child, Adam (kinda like Wonder Years voice-over). At the end of each episode, a video snippet t Adam filmed as a child that sparked the theme of that week’s show is shown….clever!

If you lived during the 80′s, each episode will trigger old memories that will make you laugh as you relate it to your life then and family life nowadays. In fact, though, this show is very well cast with every performance being amusing with a wonderful script for any age group to enjoy.

THE MIDDLE is another fantastic comedy in a similar vein. While the family members are totally different, each show has multiple laugh-out-loud and chuckling moments that just leave the viewers FEELING GOOD.

MODERN FAMILY AND NEIGHBORS are two more comedies with totally different family relations.

DVR these 4 comedies and give yourself the gift of laughter and amusement!

Comment by Judith Murphy – April 2, 2014 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I also want another season of The Mentalist, but only if there’s another big overarching Red John-esque mystery. Otherwise it’s just another generic police drama and we have enough of those on TV already.

Comment by Taylor – April 4, 2014 11:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This seems to indicate an endgame not unlike ‘In Plain Sight’ ie with Lisbon getting a new guy.
    I don’t think I will be as disappointed as with ‘In Plain Sight’ though mainly because Patrick Jane, after the terrible loss he suffered and then the chase after Red John for several years, may be better off with a brand new woman, whenever in the future he feels he is ready for that… And Lisbon in all fairness has been ready for a steady relationship for a while…

Comment by redjane12 – April 5, 2014 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I couldn’t resist commenting. Exceptionally well written!

Comment by cod ghost prestige glitch xbox 360 – April 18, 2014 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post