Days of Our Lives Renewed Through Sept. 2016

days-of-our-lives-renewedDays of Our Lives is in very good health as it approaches its 50th birthday.

NBC has renewed the veteran soap opera for an additional two years — through September 2016 — meaning the good residents of Salem will most assuredly get to celebrate the sudser’s 50th anniversary come November 2015.

RELATED | Spoilers on Nashville, Grey’s, Scandal, Criminal Minds, NCIS, Once and More

Days of Our Lives continues to be a fan favorite for the daytime audience and we are thrilled to keep it going through its 50th season,” NBC Entertainment president Jennifer Salke said in a statement. “Days has shown year-to-year increases in key female demographics and remains both relevant and fresh creatively due to the hard work of the producers, writers, cast and crew who have worked tirelessly to make Days the ratings success it is today.”

Just yesterday, Days fans were hit with the news that veteran Alison Sweeney, who has played Sami Brady for 21 years, is exiting later this year.

PHOTOS | Winter TV Spoiler-palooza! Your Scoop-Filled Guide to 31 Returning Favorites

In its 48-plus years, the show has racked up 232 Daytime Emmy nominations and 36 wins, including a 2013 statuette for Outstanding Daytime Drama.

Days’ renewal news comes just a week after CBS renewed both of its soaps, The Young and the Restless and The Bold and the Beautiful.

As for daytime’s fourth sudser, ABC boss Paul Lee said just last week that he hopes General Hospital stays on the air “a very, very long time.”

Stoked about Days‘ renewal news? Hit the comments and celebrate!

1. Joey says:

I mean no matter what you think of the show itself, it would really suck to get canceled just short of a 50 year anniversary. So good on them for achieving it.

• David4 says:

I agree. I have only seen DoOL and GH and GH is by far a lot better acted, but to cancel it right before the big 50 would be silly.

However NBC canceled L&O after 20 years without giving them any notice or even a short record breaking 21st season. And they are firing Jay Leno… again… who is still number one… so yeah…

• soundscene says:

I credit NBC for getting rid of Jay Leno (again). #1 or not, there’s a point when it’s good to get rid of unfunny things that are supposed to be funny.

• Phil says:

I disagree, I think DAYS is superior to GH these days! The writing is deeper and much more grounded! I think Ron is great, but Lorraine Broderick is Queen! I am positive that it is her influence that has made DAYS what it is lately!

• alistaircrane says:

“Grounded” is NOT what I want from Days of Our Lives. I want wild, campy, over-the-top plots like in the 80s and 90s! What you like is what I hate.

• Louise says:

Days was over the top this year, it in no way looked like the 80’s & 90’s pardon me for saying it but back then the show still KNEW where the sense of decency was and did not cross the line. This year that was not true, all be it for the almighty story. It is only recently again they pulled themselves back in check for the MOSTpart, and I can start to enjoy the show again.

• LC says:

I quit watching when Marlena was possessed. Worst story line EVER! And after having watched for 20 years prior, I just never went back. Good for them for making it to 50 years, but I just can’t bring myself to watch again.

2. wrstlgirl says:

WhoooHooooo!!!! More Wilson :-)

• Cindy says:

So do people like the new “Will” on DOOL? I just don’t like the new guy yet, hopefully he’ll get better…Chandler Massey was awesome, but his awkward smiling during some of his dialogue was a bit off-putting since even the most serious thing made him crack a smile. Still, so far not diggin the newest Will Horton :(

• wrstlgirl says:

I’ve only had one person express any negativity on all the boards that I frequent. Personally I like the more mature Will and he and Sonny are very comfortable together. From reading their twitter feeds they have become great friends outside of work also. Not taking anything away from Chandler of course. He’s very talented and hopefully we’ll see him onscreen again once he gets either done or tired of school, LOL.

• ChrisGa says:

Overall, I think the new Will’s doing a decent job. I will say I think he’s far more invested in the WilSon relationship than Chandler Massey seemed to be(and he doesn’t seem afraid to be affectionate with another man the way Massey often appeared to be). I think with a little time under his belt he’ll be fine.

3. Ric says:

Plenty of time to get back On my way! Past stars the way GH did for their 50th.

• alistaircrane says:

I agree. I no longer watch Days anymore because they fired all my faves in 2012 (Carrie, Austin, Jack, and Billie), but I will absolutely tune in to see familiar faces return for the 50th. And then I’ll go back to not watching unless they keep Carrie, Austin, and Jack around permanently.

• Phil says:

Jack is dead! To be honest, I am fine with that… He bored me this time around. Carrie can come back, but leave Austin behind! They lack in the sparks department! Perhaps if Austin Peck were in the role again? IDK! Better idea would be to bring back Mike Horton and pair Carrie with him! I would like to see Melanie come back… Perhaps Phillip… Kim and Shane, Melissa, so many people!

• alistaircrane says:

Jack is soap dead. If he can come back after his organs were harvested in 2003, he can come back again. Carrie and Austin are the premiere supercouple of the 90s, and they were great this time around with Patrick. I guess you didn’t see them together from 1992-95. Mike was a fling. Carrie and Austin keep on finding their way back to each other because their love is strong and true and real.

4. Damian says:

The show has kinda tightened up on spoilers. It definitely makes it more interesting and they’ve managed to surprise a few times. So glad it’s gonna make the big 5-0! I do have to consider that the show is also kinda lucky that NBC had nothing going for it right now so it makes sense for them to hold on to brand recognized properties

5. Tran 2.0 says:

Really hope that DAYS won’t be the same without Alison Sweeney now that she leaving the show after 21 years playing Samantha Brady. She made that announcement on Ellen yesterday.

6. Eric7740 says:

Alright!!! More DAYS!!! Now, just get Eileen Davidson back and its must see DAYS!!!

7. alistaircrane says:

I hope they celebrate the renewal by hiring new head writers. Gary Tomlin and Christopher Whitesell have destroyed everything that has made Days of Our Lives so special. Days was once my favourite soap, but they have utterly annihilated all my favourite characters and supercouples. I will not watch until Carrie, Austin, Jack, Billie, and Patch are back.

• alistaircrane says:

I am, however, getting so excited thinking about who Days will bring back for their 50th anniversary. They need to go all out like GH did for their 50th and bring back as many people as possible! We NEED to see Carrie, Austin, Jack, Billie, Bo, Patch, Kristen/Susan, Kimberly, Shane, Eve, Frankie, Vivian, Ivan, Carly, Neil, Liz, Alex, Eugene, Calliope, Anna, Celeste, etc. They should especially bring back Maree Cheatham as Marie Horton, as she is one of Days’ only remaining original castmembers. I would love to see John Clarke return as Mickey’s ghost as well, and Andrea Gengler as Samantha (or Hattie).

• Damian says:

I wouldn’t mind seeing some familiar faces but I’d preferrably like to see the budget extend to some really exciting story for characters that will actually stick around rather than shell out money for a bunch of people to return for a day or two. I’d take a story with a location shoot over seeing a few of those people who are now probably in their 80’s wheeled out for nostalgias sake.

• alistaircrane says:

Well, half the people who should return for the 50th should actually be hired permanently, particularly Carrie, Austin, and Jack. I also hope we get full episodes devoted to recapping Days’ best stories (the Possession, Carly Buried Alive, Kristen/Susan, Carrie/Austin/Sami, Gina/Hope, the Salem Stalker, etc.) filled with tons and tons of flashbacks.

• Father Time says:

How can you forget sweet Melissa? And whatever happened to Pete? When I first started watching DAYS in 1984, I was sold on Pete and Melissa!!!

• alistaircrane says:

Oh, Melissa will most likely be back for the 50th. She returns every now and then for Maggie. As for Pete, he and Melissa broke up, but he may be the father of her son Nathan.

• wrstlgirl says:

While I will agree that some of the story arcs are ridiculous the show is FAR from destroyed. The Will coming out story was one of the best I’ve ever seen and they continue to grow this pairing. I hate Kristen so was glad to see ED go but wouldn’t mind her coming back as Susan. Now I wish they’d just find a way to get rid of Kate. As far as all the old characters I’m sure we’ll see most of them if not all. Kimberly and Shane were just on so if you weren’t watching you may have missed it. I will continue to watch every day to see it all come together.

• alistaircrane says:

Actually, I did happen to hear that Shane and Kim were on…I DVRed the show just for their scenes and enjoyed them as always, but I hated their daughter. Forgot about that!

• alistaircrane says:

The problem for me is that they have broken up all the supercouples (Jack/Jennifer, Bo/Hope, Patch/Kayla, John/Marlena) and sent my favourite characters packing (Carrie/Austin, Billie, etc.). But what makes it worse is that they no longer tell the kind of stories I want to see on Days. This show was at its best from 1993-97, but remained good until around late 2000. Then it got pretty bad but spiced up again in 2003 during the Salem Stalker story. But ever since 2006, the show went down hill. I started watching again in 2011 for Carrie, Austin, Jack, John and Marlena, but the writing was boring.

• Steve Ungrey says:

The firing of Matt Ashford and the voluntary (?) exit of Peter Reckell was what sent me over the edge. Even though Renee Jones and Molly Burnett left the show by choice, I made up my mind that I’d miss seeing those two on screen. I turned off Days on September 28, 2012 and haven’t turned it back on since. Bring back Matt and Peter and I’ll definitely return.

• alistaircrane says:

I left due to the firings of Christie Clark, Patrick Muldoon and Matthew Ashford, so I totally understand where you’re coming from. I am sick of being taken for granted, and I am tired of my favorites constantly being treated like crap. I would love to watch Days again, but the only thing that could bring me back is the return of my faves.

• ChrisGa says:

Hmm…not sure what show you’re watching but Days is a LONG WAY from destroyed–it’s arguably been the best, most consistent soap on the air for at least the last 12 months. And a lot of that can be attributed to Tomlin, Whitesell and Lorraine Broderick. The long-term writing is tight and the use of show history to successfully and seamlessly advance story is currently unmatched by any other soap on right now. And the show currently has two of the most sublime modern-day supercouples in soaps right now in the form of EJami and WilSon.

8. Fairy says:

Thank you so much for covering the Days renewal! I am so glad it survived. It’s my show, and I care about it, but I won’t watch just anything they give me. I left for a long time after 1992, but when Steve and Kayla came back in 2006 I came back with them. When they left in 2009 I left with them. Now that Mary Beth is recurring as Kayla I watch, but it sure would be nice if they please please PLEASE FIXED Steve and Kayla by bringing back Stephen Nichols and giving he and Mary Beth a real storyline that, if nothing else, fixes them in a good, compelling way. I’m also looking forward to seeing Drake Hogestyn back for John & Marlena, so how about now also bringing back Pete Reckell so that poor Ciara doesn’t keep whining that she wants her Daddy (cuz we’re whining, too). Again, congrats to Days for the 2-year renewal, now fix these legacy characters!

• wrstlgirl says:

General Hospital is gearing up for a big Cassadine story arc so Stephen Nichols may be busy over there, at least for now. Bo is gone because Peter Reckell is not interested in coming back. Sometimes these shows just aren’t able to give the fans what they want because the actors want out. It’s unfortunate but that’s the real world.

• alistaircrane says:

Patch needs to return ASAP. In fact, it’s ridiculous that Days didn’t scoop him back up when he left Y&R last year. Patch and Kayla NEED to be together!!!

• wrstlgirl says:

We as fans have got to understand that sometimes it’s just out of the writers/producers control. They cannot force them back. If they don’t want to come back and stay permanently there’s nothing they can do. Some may not be interested in coming back at all.

• alistaircrane says:

You have no idea that Stephen Nichols doesn’t want to return. These current writers have a track record of firing veterans, so it’s more likely they they are responsible for keeping Patch off the show.

• wrstlgirl says:

I’m not talking specifically about any actor, just saying. And you have no way of knowing either. It’s all just speculation.

• alistaircrane says:

Yes it’s speculation, but mine is based more on fact and what these writers have done. Since taking over the show two years ago, Tomsell are responsible for firing several veterans: Christie Clark, Patrick Muldoon, Matthew Ashford, Lisa Rinna, and Drake Hogestyn. I’d also argue they’re responsible for driving Peter Reckell away. They also tore apart Sami and Lucas and overworked Eileen Davidson so much that she left after being back for only one year.

• wrstlgirl says:

Oh good grief alistaircrane, do you argue with yourself in the mirror when there’s no one else around? You do not know these people or anyone associated with the show (unless you’re in hiding) so your “facts” are based on what you’ve heard or read. Unless you have some first hand information it’s still speculation, period.

• alistaircrane says:

All those actors I listed, wrsltgirl, were FIRED. This was reported on by the soap press and confirmed by the actors themselves through social media. Do some research.

• wrstlgirl says:

Why? We all have you here to tell us what we need to know. Clearly.

• alistaircrane says:

Great answer. Just shows you don’t want to be proven wrong.

• wrstlgirl says:

Wrong, What this shows about me is that this is so petty and ridiculous. That’s the difference between you and me. It’s not about one person having to be right and another being wrong. But you ALWAYS have to be right. You ALWAYS know what’s best. I’ve seen it over and over again. It’s just not worth it.

• alistaircrane says:

But the difference this time, wrstlgrl, is that you are SO wrong and I have the facts behind me to prove it. You won’t accept it because you are determined to be right. How stubborn!

• wrstlgirl says:

LOL, you just described yourself.

9. Father Time says:

DAYS is so damn hot, I’m surprised it only received a two year renewal. It should have been three, but if it continues to be this great, DAYS will shatter records!!!

• alistaircrane says:

Days used to receive 5 year renewals, but NBC only gives 1 or 2 year renewals now (soaps are dying). I disagree that Days is on fire. In fact, the headwriting team of Gary Tomlin and Christopher Whitesell has driven me away by their lack of respect for long-time fans, veterans and supercouples.

• Father Time says:

Is a 30 year rock solid fan considered a longtime fan? DAYS has made inroads regarding the vets,but if the budget were to kill DAYS, then I’m happy with having the show how it is.

• alistaircrane says:

I am not a mindless Days zombie who will watch the show no matter what. When the show declines in quality, it’s no longer worth watching, and I won’t waste my time on it. And this is from someone who started watching Days in 1986.

10. Rob R says:

DAYS has been on a really good run for the past 18 months, and is a real contender to repeat its Emmy as Best Drama series. General Hospital is probably the favorite, but its story telling is all over the place, while DAYS is more carefully and more rewardingly plotted.

• alistaircrane says:

Days was good in 2011-12 when the veterans returned and the new writers returned the focus to the supercouples and Horton family. Sadly, these current (actually old) writers have spit in the face of all that made Days so good.

11. alistaircrane says:

Hopefully Days will wise up and hire Sheri Anderson to write the show again. She head-wrote Days in the 80s and 90s and created some of Days’ best characters and supercouples.
    Another great choice would be Sally Sussman-Morina, who wrote some of Days’ most exciting stories in the late 90s, such as Eileen Davidson’s amazing exit storyline The Killing Pool, as well as the Princess Gina saga (well, the first three quarters of that story), and Sami being framed for shooting Franco.

12. Hugo says:

Congrats to DAYS!!!
    I think the show is great right now, they have really good stories and actors. The picture above with Ari Zucker and Greg Vaughan is a perfect representation of that.

13. Julie says:

I just wish that they had it on air at a better time during the day ~ they have it on at 11am ~ a lot of people that I know in the Chicagoland area are unable to watch at that time and just don’t tune in any longer

14. Sandra says:

I love seeing Marlena and Roman together. Reunite them. Also if for is not coming move on. Please reunite Jen and Daniel. Like seeing Nicole and Erik together

• alistaircrane says:

Jennifer belongs with Jack, and Marlena belongs with John. Those are the supercouples.

• Hugo says:

@alistaircrane you might be very unhappy with the show right now but it doesn’t matter to the executives, only the ratings matter! Days hit all-time-lows in the key demo during the 2011-2012 season, when MarDar were the head writers and Carrie/Austin/Jack were on the show. TomSell took over, let these characters go and brought back other ones like Nick, Kristen and Eric, the ratings kept getting better and better!

• wrstlgirl says:

Yes they have! And I’m loving it :-)

• alistaircrane says:

Your happiness comes at the expense of millions of longtime Days who have given up on the show for good. Keep that in mind, you selfish piece of trash.

• wrstlgirl says:

Your calling me selfish. Pot meet Kettle honey. Just because you don’t like something doesn’t make it right for everybody else. Many of us still enjoy Days and I’ve been watching for 30+ years myself. Go ahead and hate it that’s your right but just because many of us do enjoy it doesn’t make us mindless Days zombies, selfish or trash. We just have a different opinion which you really seem to have a hard time accepting. Good Bye.

• alistaircrane says:

The show actually hasn’t improved. The stories are awful, and they focus on all the wrong couples and characters. Tomsell has made a mockery of Days of Our Lives. I am thankful every day that I no longer watch.

• Hugo says:

A lot of critics and fans say that the 2013 year was their best in a long long time! And if you don’t even watch anymore, how can you know it’s so awful? lol

• ChrisGa says:

Hate to break it to you but you’re in a small minority. The show’s been FIRE for the last 12 months and it shows no signs of waning. And they did it without Jack, Austin, Carrie and, for the most part, John.

15. Judy ward says:

Love Days keep it going!

16. Kay says:

Never thought I’d say this but Days has been better than GH right now.

17. Fairy says:

TomSell have done some very good work with the vets and actors over 40 & 50. I’m very impressed that they’ve given alot of very good material to folks who can actually play that material so well. It’s not perfect, I could do with alot less of a few of the stories, and, yes, I want my Steve & Kayla fixed, along with John & Marlena and for Pete to come back (Pete is open to coming back if he has actual story). But, again, I think after the MarDar reboot, which was actually pretty good then hit a bit of a train wreck, TomSell have done quite nicely overall. This ship could have sunk completely, but it didn’t. They’ve given legacy characters story to play. I give them some credit and am grateful that my show is still on.

18. anniem says:

I would love to see Michael T Weiss again as Mike Horton.

19. Marjorie says:

Would appreciate James Scott staying at least for the 50th celebration. One of the more enjoyable actors. Hope he, too, has a renewed contract.

20. Linda says:

I started watching DOOL about a year ago a I love it . Watched many soaps in the past an days is by far much better than any other I every watched. The acting is great an story line is wonderful .I don’t miss it ever use my DVR so I don’t miss it ever .

21. marylou says:

That is awesome!! They are going to have to beef up the acting. The actors who made the show are leaving. So who is stepping it up?