TVLine Items: Seth Meyers' SNL Status, Sherlock Ratings, Amazon's Barbarella Pilot and More

Seth Meyers SNLWe may have already seen Seth Meyers‘ next-to-next-to-last appearance behind Saturday Night Live‘s Weekend Update desk.

Speaking with The Wrap following his Sunday afternoon appearance at the Television Critics Association winter press tour, Meyers surmised that he is “two shows away from cutting ties” with SNL. He explained that with his Feb. 25 Late Night debut nearing: “It’s too hard to try to do two of these things at the same time.”

Meyers also said that he would not be surprised if Weekend Update newbie Cecily Strong gets paired up with another co-anchor.

RELATED | Melissa McCarthy to Host SNL on Super Bowl Weekend

Ready for more of today’s news nuggets? Well….

* Sunday night’s Season 3 premiere of Sherlock on PBS’ Masterpiece drew four million total viewers, up 25 percent from the sleuthing drama’s sophomore opener.

RELATED | Sherlock Premiere Recap: As He Lied Dying

* SNL alum/Portlandia star Fred Armisen and funnyman Patton Oswalt will take part in Modern Family‘s springtime Las Vegas getaway, playing, respectively, half of a gay couple and a magician who crosses paths with Phil, TV Guide Magazine reports.

* Chicago P.D.’s Sophia Bush will cross over to Dick Wolf’s Law & Order: SVU on Wednesday, Feb. 26, to share a scene with Mariska Hargitay. Leading out of that episode, Chicago P.D. will host a visit from SVU‘s Ice-T and Kelli Giddish.

RELATED | Sunday Ratings: NFL Boosts The Following to Series Highs, Revenge and Betrayal Finale Tie Lows

* Amazon has tapped Skyfall‘s Neal Purvis and Robert Wade to pen a pilot adaptation for Barbarella, based on the character created by Jean-Claude Forest and made famous by Jane Fonda in the 1968 sci-fi movie, our sister site Deadline reports.

* At the 25th annual The Producers Guild Awards held on Sunday night, Breaking Bad won The Norman Felton Award for Outstanding Producer of Episodic Television, Drama, while Modern Family won the Danny Thomas Award for Outstanding Producer of Episodic Television, Comedy.

Comments (25)

• Sherlock would have done even better if it hadn’t been squirreled away at 10/9C. I would expect those numbers to improve with DVR watching today and tomorrow.

Comment by Kate Garner – January 20, 2014 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They also would have been better if they had aired them in North America the same time they did in the UK. Nearly everyone I know downloaded the episodes

Comment by Liz – January 20, 2014 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wow, nearly everyone you know? That explains why it wasn’t 5 million, I reckon.

Comment by Lauren – January 20, 2014 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • well I *do* know everyone in the world :P

Comment by liz – January 20, 2014 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah… They really should have silmilcast the Sherlocks.. I was going to wait… and then my friend came over with all three on a hard drive…

Comment by Jackie H. – January 20, 2014 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • silmilcast? Try *simulcast*.

Comment by Bob – January 21, 2014 06:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Because replacing that “i” with that “u” COMPLETELY changes the meaning of his comment.

Comment by Delia – January 21, 2014 10:45 AM PDT
    • They also would have done better if every PBS station showed Sherlock last night.
      The Buffalo station, WNED, made the genius decision to move Sherlock to Thursday at 9 pm.
      Not this Thursday.
      Thursday, February 13.
      Opposite the Olympics.
      Two days after the DVD comes out.
      Genius…

Comment by rockgolf – January 20, 2014 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Do people still actually watch the Olympics? I’d rather watch anything but a pre taped and edited to death sport event that I already know what happened.

Comment by David4 – January 20, 2014 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’ve never watched the American coverage, but the Canadian coverage has been really well done in recent years – always a livecast available throughout the day.

Comment by liz – January 20, 2014 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved Sherlock!!’

Comment by Rebecca – January 20, 2014 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hate to wonder if Cecily Strong should do it by herself whether or not SNL is going to find a replacement for Seth Meyers for the co-anchor job on Weekend Update. Who do you think is a perfect fit for the Update job with Cecily? BTW, what are the odds that Kate McKinnon should definitely be Seth’s replacement for the Weekend Update co-anchor job with Cecily Strong?

Comment by Tran 2.0 – January 20, 2014 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think she should do it alone. Kate Mckinnon – not a huge fan. Her facial expressions and all of that really are not funny.

Comment by David – January 20, 2014 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Tell me you didn’t just say that. SNL will make a decision within days maybe weeks to find out who’s going to replace Seth Meyers for the co-anchor job on Weekend Update with Cecily Strong so try to be patient not getting on your nerves.

Comment by Tran 2.0 – January 20, 2014 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Such a bizarre take. All hail Kate McKinnon. I’d be fine with Cecily by herself or with another anchor. I’ve enjoyed her at the desk so far. I do kinda hope Beck Bennett gets a shot at it. The new guys blur together a bit. You know they must’ve had something distinctive to offer or they wouldn’t have gotten hired.

Comment by scooby – January 21, 2014 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve got a strong feeling it will be Beck Bennett on the desk with Cecily Strong after Seth is gone. He’s got a lot of experience from his Fresh Perspectives web series. While I think Kate McKinnon would be a great co-anchor, I doubt they’ll want to forfeit the opportunity to have her play characters on Weekend Update because it is definitely a strength of hers.

Comment by CJ – January 20, 2014 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seth hasn’t been able to handle one show, never mind two.

Comment by David4 – January 20, 2014 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. It takes just one human being to put on a busy schedule like that and it’s so grueling. Either someone does it the easy way or the hard way.

Comment by Tran 2.0 – January 20, 2014 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would really love to see either Brooks, Mike or Aidy take the place of Seth.
    Brooks is a stand up comedian, so he would definitely be a good writer for the news jokes. Plus, it would give him more screen time since we rarely get to see him.
    Mike is another cast member we don’t see much, and I think he and Cecily would have an amazing dynamic since they are dating.
    And I threw in Aidy as well since I think she and Cecily have a good chemistry on Girlfriends Talk Show even if I HATE that sketch.

Comment by Taylor – January 20, 2014 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did you know that Cecily Strong is 5′ 9″? Think that makes her the tallest female player ever on SNL.

Comment by Tran 2.0 – January 20, 2014 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Beck Bennett seems to be the obvious choice to me.

Comment by TV Gord – January 20, 2014 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That is who I was thinking, I assume they will go for a guy, seeming they have always been a fan a guy-girl coanchoring team. Either him or Brooks.

Comment by Mike R. – January 20, 2014 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d like to see Taran Killam take over for Seth

Comment by jaym3z33 (@jaym3z33) – January 21, 2014 05:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would have been better if PBS did a little better planning. Downton Abbey and Sherlock airing the same evening? PBS needs to take a lesson from BBC America (yes, I know Sherlock is not a BBC show) and get as close to simulcasting as they can. The rating would improve. Too many people have already watched it all from Internet downloads.

Comment by Bob – January 21, 2014 06:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t mind back-to-back Downton and Sherlock on Sunday nights, but it is hard when Sherlock is 1.5 hrs or longer each show. This girl has to get up for work on Mondays! 11 is already late for my bedtime. :) But I agree, I would like the air dates to be closer to the U.K.’s to avoid spoilers.

Comment by gdv – January 21, 2014 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post