NBC Thursday Forecast: Parks and Rec Is All But Renewed, Community Season 6 a 'Possibility'

Parks and Recreation RenewedAppearing Sunday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour, NBC president Robert Greenblatt was prompted to “go out on a limb” and drop this bit of sunshine on Pawnee: “Parks and Recreation is going to have a seventh season.”

RELATED | NBC Announces Peter Pan Live!, Wizard of Oz-Themed Miniseries

The exec’s words, though just shy of a formal announcement, came on the heels of him declaring himself “bullish” on the future of both the acclaimed Amy Poehler-fronted comedy and its lead-in, Community.

However, Greenblatt only ventured so far as to say that Community Season 6 is a “strong possibility.”

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has thusly been updated.

PHOTOS | About a Boy, Growing Up Fisher: Check Out Exclusive Key Art for NBC’s Midseason Comedies

Sizing up his other Thursday comedies, Greenblatt expressed frustration at the inability of either Sean Saves the World or The Michael J. Fox Show to draw remotely sizable audiences. Specifically, he said he was “not happy” with Fox‘s most recent 0.6 demo rating (in its first outing versus American Idol), and while moving that freshman comedy around the schedule might be one recourse, he admitted it faced an “uphill battle.”

RELATED | NBC Announces Midseason Premiere Dates, About a Boy and Believe Nab Voice Lead-In

Rounding out NBC Thursday, Parenthood has been holding rock-steady thus far this season, albeit with modest numbers. That said, Greenblatt touted the beloved family drama as “a show we love,” and as such he is “hopeful” for its renewal.

1. jimbo says:

Go Parenthood! Renew it already, NBC. :)

2. D. says:

YES! It’s kinda awful to say but i’m a bit glad the new comedies aren’t doing great, Parnks&Rec and Community have better chances for renewal this way!

• canadian ninja says:

Just pray the network doesn’t start moving Comm around to give MJF or Sean Hayes show a chance in the “cushier” timeslot up against Big Bang Theory. Sounds stupid I know, but this is NBC here.

3. hipster says:

I love Parks as much as the next guy, but wow. If Greenblatt is already renewing a show with those ratings, he must not have any good pilot pitches coming at him.

Then again, prestige factored into much of NBC’s renewals in the past few years since there isn’t enough ratings to do so. Good for Parks!

4. lmjo says:

YES! So happy for Parks! Holding out hope for Parenthood…

5. Jake says:

YES, all i want is for Parenthood, Parks and Community to get proper final season runs. Looks like that might actually happen!!

• Ben says:

And not necessarily next year. But yes, at this point I think NBC would look very favourably on allowing both shows to wrap up on their own terms.

• Justin says:

Woah. Final season of Parenthood? Talk about way too premature. Parenthood has way more life left in it.

6. Babybop says:

YES! Oh, I’m so so happy. I just wish that they would move nights for their comedies already. New shows should not have to battle it out against BBT and American Idol. It’s not shocking that these shows are failing in the ratings at all.

7. Kyle says:

Can I ask, and please get an answer to this question:

What is this deal with every network exec delcaring themselves “Bullish” toward a TV show, this TCA season?? What does it even mean, really? Lol

I just find it super weird that every single Pres & exec from this past week has continuously said they were “bullish” about this show or that. Did I miss something?

8. Morganic says:

So unbelievably happy about this :)

9. Teag says:

Can Community season 6 be 22 episodes please?

• Ron says:

My main hope is that Community just cracks the 100 episode mark, which it will need a 6th season for, but will be able to do so even with a 13 episode order…so really, I just hope for a 6th season period. That said, I’m definitely NOT against a 22 episode season. Do I see it happening? No. But we can hope. If a 6th season happens, maybe we’ll luck out and get at least a 15 ep season…

• Angela says:

My sentiments exactly.
        The fact that it’s a strong possibility at all makes me do a happy dance-I will gladly take that for now. It’s the little show that could!

• Hannah says:

Let’s not ask for miracles, 13 episodes final season for all 3 shows it’s fair enough, with both Community 6×03 and Parenthood 6×10 reaching the 100th spot.

Am I crazy for suggesting to move parks and Comm. to thursday at 10 next season, after 2h of dramas/ 1h +2 new comedies?

10. David says:

I want Parenthood to be renewed for a full season. Period.

• Ally Oop says:

While I love the show and think the show could run for many more seasons and remain solid in its storylines, with the poor ratings it’s had this season I would be elated and thankful for a final 13 episodes to wind things up. Most of all I would like to see what happens with Amber down the road–namely will she end up having Ryan’s baby?

11. Ron says:

I’m just gonna need a definitive YES on a Parks & Rec and Community renewal. Here’s my thing, all of NBCs Thursday night suffers because of piss-poor scheduling (as subpar as it is, nothing is even kinda beating The Big Bang Theory). But, Community keeps pulling in the most viewers for the comedy line-up on Thursday, and P&R keeps pulling in the best demo rating. They’re both great shows, and they’re successes by NBC standards, made even more obvious by the fact that their new Thursday comedies regularly pull anywhere from 500,000 to 1,000,000 less viewers than either Community or Parks and neither new comedy can seem to even break a 1. in the demo. I say let SSTW and MJFS out to pasture and give Community and Parks AT LEAST 1 more season.

#sixseasonsandamovie

• Patrick says:

Seriously. For the last two years, NBC has ordered shortened, and ostensibly final, seasons of Community. And in each of those years, by the second month of the season, they have essentially been desperate for additional episodes of Community. I think we might get a full 22 ep order.

Now, much will depend on the quality of rest of this year once Troy leaves (and the success of his other projects as they will impact his willingness to return next year). If the show is OK, and the numbers are OK, and Harmon has a plan for next year, then I could see 22 eps.

12. christina says:

renewal likely for parks and recreation and community with those ratings, but cancel go on last year with similar ratings. i’m still mad.

as much as i would love for parenthood to have another season, i’m not hopeful. i hope i’m wrong come may.

13. TV Gord says:

My status line this past Thursday night: A night of viewing that contains Community and Parenthood gives me everything I want from TV.

14. Eddie says:

6 seasons in and it’s still fresh as season 1. Fantastic news about Community as well! MJF & SSTW can go IMO

15. eddie says:

renew parks and community…… BUT DONT PUT THEM ON THURSDAY!!!!! why is nbc so surprised that thursdays didnt work this season? i love parks and rec, but having it lead out the night was a terrible idea. put the 2 shows on fridays before grimm and have an all new lineup for thursdays.

16. Jake says:

Why is it that parks and community get a free pass every year and they are disappointed with the similar numbers for Sean and fox, especially since both shows have never gotten a lead in that would expose them to a larger audience.

• zacqua10 says:

SSTW and MJFS both have low demo ratings while Community and Parks demo ratings are a bit higher.

• Jake says:

Not by much and that’s because it’s got community and parks as a lead in. In fact community was renewed last year with the demos that seam is getting now

• Brian says:

Because P&R and Community are fantastic shows and MJFS and SSTW are absolutely terrible…

• Hannah says:

Because Parks & C. are veteran shows, there’s no reason to renew smthing with 1st season’s terrible ratings.

• Eric says:

The Michael J. Fox Show and Sean Saves the World are first year shows, while Parks and Rec and Community are veteran shows. That is why. Not to mention Parks and Rec and Community are critically acclaimed comedies. Neither MJF or Sean are. Both are actually extremely terrible.

• kirby says:

Sean Saves the World and The Michael J. Fox Show both probably came with higher price tags attached considering their “star power”.

Community and Parks both do well with streaming, DVD sales, etc. They have more seasons under their belt, so the more eps they produce the better. Most people I know watch both shows, and none of them have cable… it’s all via Hulu+ and Netflix.

17. Austin says:

Renew Parks, Community, and Parenthood. Community for final season. :) Cancel SSTW & MJF. That’d be perfect. IDC about the amount of episodes for Parks, Community, and Parenthood but nothing lower than 10!

• Brian says:

Perfect. Although, it will likely be P&R’s final season as well… And most likely also Parenthood (but I don’t watch that show, so I have no idea)

18. Jon Snow says:

What about Revolution?

19. Kre says:

I really don’t underrated Parks and Rec’s low ratings . It can’t be the quality of the show, IMO Parks has been the best comedy on TV the past few years. Is it just because it comes on NBC, would Parks have better ratings if it was on CBS?

• Brian says:

CBS wouldn’t have picked up P&R, it doesn’t have a laugh track and doesn’t appeal to the lowest intelligence audience.

• Hannah says:

I try periodically to watch an episode of TBBT cause there must be a reason for those ratings, but it’s still awful

• Patrick says:

To answer your question, yes.

NBC’s entire problem is that it has no beachheads. Outside some reality shows, NBC doesn’t have that hit that airs at 8 that gets people to tune in and then stick around to at least sample the rest of the shows. Since no one shows up at 8, they don’t ever sample what else is on.

PandR is also hurt by its first season, which was mediocre by TV standards, and awful compared to the rest of the episodes. Some people sampled that first season and then bailed. I still haven’t seen most of the first year, and I now love the show.

We are at the point in their runs (all three shows) where the numbers aren’t going to go way up.

20. David says:

I’m happy Parenthood got a full season this year. Nbc is struggling with their comedies. I actually liked Welcome to the Family though. Other than that after The Office and 30 Rock left nothing really appealed to me. They probably need to start with giving up on the idea of Thursday comedies. Cbs has that locked down at the moment.

21. David4 says:

Doesn’t Community have the best ratings of the four Thursday sitcoms?

What a sad, SAD pathetic world NBC is in.

22. DOT says:

And there is a god lol love parks and rec!!!b!!b!

23. Dan says:

I think you updated the NBC renewal scorecard wrong. It should be P&R “unofficially renewed”, not Parenthood. And what about Community becoming a safe bet?

24. Katie says:

😀!!!!!

25. Ben says:

Not the best ever update to the renewal scorecard – currently it says that Parenthood has been unofficially renewed, not Parks (and also, does this means both Parenthood and Community could be upgraded to ‘a safe bet’?)

26. faraway says:

YES! Don’t screw around with this NBC. Homie don’t Dean this!

27. Joey says:

Happy Parks and Rec will get renewed for season 7. Hope Community and Parenthood gets renewed.

28. David4 says:

You do a Community season 6 without Troy, then do a movie where Troy goes missing in the middle of the ocean and the study group goes and looks for him but get lost and stuck on the same island as Troy.

Then so a spinoff titled “Lost Community” that takes place on the island.

29. I’m late to the party on Parenthood but I’ve fallen in love! Hoping they renew it.

30. Farris_TN says:

I don’t know about y’all, but I think Sean Saves the World is hilarious. It took it a couple of episodes to really get going, but since then it has been very good. I think the cast works well together. Hopefully NBC will give it a chance!

• Kate says:

Finally, someone else who has actually watched Sean Saves the World. It’s fast paced and has great one-liners that actually make you laugh out loud! Maybe some of you gave up on it too fast. Cast is great and they really click.

31. Abed Nadir says:

Six seasons and a MOVIE!

32. John says:

Go On > MJF show > Sean Saves the World.

33. cjeffery7 says:

Rhetta (and everyone else with a brain) is right. NBC needs to break-up with their attachment to Thursdays. ABC & FOX are going at on Tuesdays while ABC and CBS are going at it on Wednesdays. CBS dominates the 8pm slot with Big Bang and that’s not gonna change until the show ends. not to mention all the HUGE shows are on Thursdays, no wonder NBC’s more niche comedy block gets middling numbers. try something else, cause the the Thursday night comedy block isn’t working anymore. there’s too many heavyweights in the house.

34. Nancy says:

I really enjoy SEAN SAVES THE WORLD a lot. I watch it each week and just laugh my head off. Sean is so good. I hope it doesn’t get cancelled. :(