Could Thursday Night Football Bump Grey's and Scandal? ABC Mum on Reported Bid for Games

Get More: Scheduling News, Sports

Scandal New Time SlotFlag on the play!

The day after a report circulated that ABC is set to bid on the NFL’s Thursday Night Football package — raising the possibility that Grey’s Anatomy and Scandal would need to be relocated — network president Paul Lee was firmly mum on the topic.

PHOTOS | Winter TV Spoiler-palooza! Your Guide to Scandal and 30 Other Returning Favorites

As reported by Sports Business Daily, ABC is among the outlets poised to make a grab for the games, and in success would broadcast them on ABC proper versus cable sibling ESPN.

Following his appearance at the Television Critics Association winter press tour on Friday, Lee repeatedly responded, “I don’t have anything to say about it” when asked about the possible play for the NFL package.

RELATED | Scandal, Grey’s, Real Husbands Lead NAACP Image Award Nominees

Where, if need be, would you move ABC’s Thursday dramas to?

Comments (71)

• Paul Lee is too busy searching the want ads to worry about something like this.

Comment by Et al – January 17, 2014 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • luls THIS!!

Comment by Will – January 17, 2014 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • мʏ вɛѕт ғʀιɛɴɖ’ѕ мօтнɛʀ мαĸɛѕ $77 ɛʋɛʀʏ нօυʀ օɴ тнɛ ʟαքтօք. ѕнɛ нαѕ вɛɛɴ օυт օғ α ʝօв ғօʀ ɴιɴɛ мօɴтнѕ вυт ʟαѕт мօɴтн нɛʀ քαʏ աαѕ $15267 ʝυѕт աօʀĸιɴɢ օɴ тнɛ ʟαքтօք ғօʀ α ғɛա нօυʀѕ. вʟօɢ нɛʀɛ fox800.­com

Comment by Ourhy4104 – January 17, 2014 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • IT’S A NEW YEAR TIME FOR A NEW JOBS!!! Start working from your home and make $90/h… Only basic computer skills needed and reliable internet connection… Get your first weekly check at the end of this week… Stop wasting time and start now… Sign up at following address ★★★★★ W­­W­­W.­­M­­A­­X­­­­4­­7.­­C­­O­­M­­

Comment by Carl Modren – January 18, 2014 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Given the extremely high ratings Football usually brings in I’m sure ABC would happily make room on their schedule (and use Grey’s and Scandal to fill in for other poor performers elsewhere) It’s win/win for the network.

Comment by LDSK – January 17, 2014 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously. It would be the best thing to happen to ABC since….well, Shonda Rhimes.

Comment by Jax – January 17, 2014 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOL!

Comment by CSI Fan – January 17, 2014 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Have you factored in how much more they have to pay for football???

Comment by Boiler – January 17, 2014 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Adding NFL games to ABC would be a smart move, just not Thursday night games. There is a reason only the NFL Network airs Thursday night games, because they are usually the worst matchups in the schedule. I’d bet more people would watch Grey’s and Scandal than the Jacksonville Jaguars vs. Tennessee Titans.

Comment by Tamera – January 17, 2014 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Are you kidding? Prime time games on a big three network, no matter what night of the week, are usually the best match ups. It wouldn’t be the same as a game airing on the NFL network.

Comment by Julie – January 18, 2014 05:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And I cannot understand why?

Comment by Anthony Rock – February 3, 2014 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Market penetration — there are more eyeballs watching the networks than there are watching the NFL Network, so you get a higher rating. Higher ratings = higher ad revenue.

Comment by Kathy – February 3, 2014 12:42 PM PDT
  • UGH.
    don’t move my thursday shows.

Comment by jessica y – January 17, 2014 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This. Besides, Thursday Night Football is not an ever week thing. They only do a few per season and then its over by the end of December when the regular season ends. So they shouldn’t have to move Scandal and Grey’s at all anyway.

Comment by the girl – January 17, 2014 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wow. Apparently I’m wrong. I just looked at the NFL website and they ARE talking about having a game every Thursday. But still, the games end in December. This isn’t an all year thing.

Comment by the girl – January 17, 2014 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • They have a game every Thursday except for Thanksgiving and the last week of the regular season. Been this way for a while.

Comment by Chuck Finley – January 17, 2014 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Thanksgiving has like 3 games, one of which airs on NBC at night. So pretty much every Thursday has a game, all of which are on NFL network except for the season opener and Thanksgiving.

Comment by Joey – January 17, 2014 05:08 PM PDT
          • Duh. I was talking about NFL NETWORK games which don’t include Thanksgiving. Those are the games that ABC is trying to get. Thanksgiving games are not going to be up for grabs for ABC. I should also have included opening week not having a Thursday night game I think. I don’t believe there is one that week.

Comment by Chuck Finley – January 17, 2014 05:34 PM PDT
  • I think this is a good move. It will help ABC’s ratings and in the age of DVR, these shows will be fine. Move Grey to Sundays and Scandal to Tuesdays or Wednesdays in Nashville’s spot.

Comment by AB – January 17, 2014 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • first off Sunday will a death day for Grey’s. Scandal dead day is tueday and wednesday it would lose aganist CSI

Comment by susan – January 17, 2014 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • considering grey’s started out on sundays before moving to thursdays (in season 3 I think?) I’m sure it will do fine

Comment by jenna – January 17, 2014 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Grey’s was virtually a different (BETTER!) show when it was on Sundays at 10. Seasons 1 and 2 were it’s very best. Moving it to Sundays at 10 now – and separating it from Scandal – will further be show suicide as it’s already losing viewers by the season.
          I’m sure the network would want to keep Grey’s and Scandal together because they in some way support each other.

They should move them to Wednesdays. Put Super Fun Night (or insert comedy here) and Modern Family and 8 and 8:30, Grey’s at 9, and Scandal at 10. I don’t know what/who they’d be up against, but it doesn’t really matter at this point as Thursdays have been the most competitive night on television and yet they’ve both continued to pull decent numbers.

Comment by Susan D – January 18, 2014 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • If they have to move them, I have to admit Wednesday would be the night I’d choose.

Comment by cycworker – January 18, 2014 07:22 PM PDT
    • That would be the smartest move indeed!

Comment by DavidSask – January 18, 2014 01:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tuesday probably makes the most sense. Shield at 8 followed by Greys at 9 then Scandal. Then you can move Goldbergs and Trophy Wife to Wednesday. I don’t think any of the new comedies yet to debut this season on abc will make it. Mixology looks horrible.

Comment by David – January 17, 2014 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Up against the NCIS duo, which will likely be a trio next season with the addition of NCIS: New Orleans? Probably not a smart move. My vote would be for Monday or possibly Wednesday.

Comment by Larc – January 18, 2014 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You seem to be forgetting something. NCIS is a crime drama. Grey’s and Scandal are different shows and a different type of genre and attract a different audience. That’s how TV works. Its why NBC’s comedy Thursday is failing because its comedy against comedy. They are the same sort of shows. Grey’s and Scandal are different. Plus Grey’s would be at 9pm not at 8pm against the original NCIS. I find NCIS: LA to be horrible and i don’t watch it. I only watch the original.

Comment by greysfan – January 18, 2014 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • No, they don’t necessarily attract different audiences. People don’t watch just one type of show. My husband and I are dedicated viewers of both Grey’s and NCIS — along with shows like Sleepy Hollow, the Blacklist, Person of Interest, Castle, Bones, CSI, L&O SVU, Suits, Big Bang Theory, Royal Pains, White Collar, Psych, Chicago Fire and PD, MasterChef, plus cooking and home improvement shows on cable (our idea of reality shows — not the fake situational shows like Duck Dynasty or any of the Housewives shows or their ilk. Good God — give us Renovation Realities or Chopped any day), as well as the simulcasts of Mike Francesa and Dan Patrick’s radio sports talk shows. I’m sure we’re not alone in our varied viewing habits, either. Football? Not really on our radar — but we pay $200 a year for the Extra Innings package for baseball.

Comment by Kathy A – January 22, 2014 03:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • WoW you guys watch a lot of tv

I watch Sleepy Hollow,
            I watch the Black list but only when James Spader is on ( I thank the inventor of DVR)
            I watch Person of Interest
            I watch Scandal.
            I watch Suits.

Comment by Anthony Rock – February 3, 2014 11:35 AM PDT
  • I cannot imagine a Thursday night without Grey’s Anatomy.

Comment by Samantha – January 17, 2014 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Think back to 2005-2006, it used to air on Sundays after Desperate Housewives.

Comment by Will – January 17, 2014 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL, you must be a kiddie! Trust me, TV on Thursday has existed for many more years than Grey’s has been around.

Comment by Alex – January 17, 2014 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Grey’s needs to end, so they should just worry about finding a place for Scandal.

Comment by Tom Is Ugly – January 17, 2014 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This! And this is the perfect oppurtunity to end Grey’s

Comment by Monica4185 – January 17, 2014 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would do it. Move Grey’s Anatomy and Scandal to Tuesday at 9 and 10 and The Goldberg’s to after Modern Family. That would probably shore up those problem timeslots then ABC would only have to worry about fixing the Sunday night at 10 timeslot.

Comment by Ralph Hartman – January 17, 2014 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly, I’d be happy for ABC because Grey’s Anatomy and Scandal aren’t going down anytime soon.

Comment by Austin – January 17, 2014 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My concern would be the placement of Scandal. I kind of agree with the previous posters about Greys/Scandal moving together to Tuesdays at 9 and 10 pm respectively. That would put Scandal up against Chicago Fire and Person of Interest which I think it could easily beat both in the demo no problem.

Comment by Will – January 17, 2014 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Follow up: Would ABC then move an established show to Thursdays at midseason when Football is over or have completely new series? I feel that it would be far more difficult to debut all new shows on one night without a single established anchor.

Comment by Will – January 17, 2014 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The problem isn’t going up against Chicago Fire and Person of Interest in the fall it’s the competition that Sons of Anarchy brings especially since the next season is it’s final season.

Comment by Ralph Hartman – January 17, 2014 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The shows air whenever I get around to watching them on my dvr. I’m sure that’s how lots of people look at it.

Comment by demoniam – January 17, 2014 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They don’t need this on Thursday they need to do this on Sunday or Tuesday where thier time slots need help Thursday are fine plus if you move scandal and Greys what makes them think ratings won’t go down against other shows they never been up against

Comment by Fernando – January 17, 2014 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Uh…You do realize that they have to follow when the Football games are played. There is already enough football on Sunday already and they don’t play football on Tuesday.

Comment by Jax – January 17, 2014 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Then they should not do this. Scandal and Greys are fine where they are. Don’t mess with what does not need to be fix.

Comment by Fernando – January 17, 2014 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t want them moved to Tuesdays. That would put them up against NCIS, NCIS: LA, and the hopeful NCIS: New Orleans.

Comment by Zorkel – January 17, 2014 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you! I can’t believe how many people have failed to take the NCIS franchise into mind when suggesting tuesdays. Even with this years ratings down, both shows have almost double viewers than greys or scandal, give or take a few million…

Comment by kate – January 17, 2014 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just what we need, more football on network TV. This could be a disaster. Thursday games are nuts anyway

Comment by Boiler – January 17, 2014 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have too many Thursday shows. I’d be happy if Grey’s and Scandal moved to another night. Like Wednesday.

Comment by Meg – January 17, 2014 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yeah Grey’s would be a good addition to Wednesday schedule – but mind you, Private Practice died on wednesday move! .. although not sure about Scandal… it’s a powerful show currently so it can survive on Tuesdays or Sundays even.

Comment by trainwreck – January 18, 2014 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Currently, the ratings for scripted television are a tiny fraction of what they used to be and they’ll only fall further. I wouldn’t be surprised to see networks only consisting of live events.

I think what we’ll see eventually, in regards to the networks, is this:

1) the networks gradually shift to live events like sports, reality shows or news shows only and scripted network tv dies altogether because no one watches it live with commercials

2) the networks become cable channels with cable/satellite companies selling channels individually rather than in tiers/groups, which will in effect mean the disappearance of many less-popular channels from the horizon (goodbye Book Television and The Golf Channel, for instance)

3) the networks “go black” and become online streaming companies only a la Netflix and Hulu

I see all these things happening in steps with the endgame being the complete merger of cable/satellite/tv/internet/telephone altogether.

Comment by Ally Oop – January 17, 2014 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s one way cure you Tuesday night rating blues in the fall… by moving everything from Thursday to Tuesday. LoL.

Comment by hipster – January 17, 2014 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why not just hold them till after football, then start them in Dec/Jan and let them play through with no breaks/reruns.

Comment by Dennis – January 17, 2014 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so tired of football taking over network tv. There are thousands of sports channels!!!!! I get football is a popular sport, but my gosh pretty soon there will be hardly any time for a scripted show to be aired, b/c football gets top priority. Keep it to Sundays and Mondays. I have a better idea if ABC and other networks want to stop airing more football games air it on Friday. It is STUPID! Remember the days when there were so many shows on tv? Now it is filled of live events, reality shows, and sports games. I am pretty sure ESPN is part of basic cable so everyone should have that channel.

Comment by Allyson – January 17, 2014 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a great move that ABC really needs, they don’t get the benefit that the other three networks get because of the football audience. Move Grey’s and Scandal to sundays or mondays, move Dancing with the stars to Tuesdays and a results show on wed before or after modern family.

Comment by sam – January 17, 2014 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Screw Thursday, bring back Monday Night Football where it belongs!!

Comment by Abe Froman – January 17, 2014 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am not a football fan and I don’t watch many ABC shows …. But that’s my station on Thursday. Put football on and I lose my Thursday night lineup 😠…plus the problem of where to put these shows that aren’t up against other shows I watch. Wish Time Warner had DVRs that would record more than 2 shows at one time!

Comment by Vi – January 17, 2014 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this is agreat idea for abc, that way they can get the superbowl. its not that big of a deal is scandal and greys move to tuesday or sunday.

Comment by eddie – January 17, 2014 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How does airing Thursday Night Football get the Super Bowl for ABC? Those rights are separate from any regular-season package of games. If ABC wants the Super Bowl, all it has to do is enter the bidding when the rights come up again. And it could have done that any time in the past — nothing stopped them from ponying up the money.

Comment by Kathy A – January 22, 2014 03:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But the games have just one hour, so Grey’s and Scandal are not threatened, right?

Comment by Victhor – January 17, 2014 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Football games? An hour? Maybe in actual play time, but there are commercials, timeouts, breaks in the action between plays, halftime, postgame commentary — a game runs closer to three hours in real time.

Comment by Kathy A – January 22, 2014 03:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Isn’t this what sports networks are for. Besides real men play rugby and don’t dress up in a ton of pads.

Comment by J – January 17, 2014 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If ABC does get football IMO its an easy fix. Move it to Tuesdays. It would fix the problem they have there i would like to think. Have Shield as the lead in and then Grey’s and Scandal after. I would NOT split up the combination either. It works so well together. BUT ABC has to win first.

Comment by greysfan – January 18, 2014 01:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This would be a huge win for Abc. A Thursday night game on network Tv would pull anywhere from 20-25 million viewers and probably a 10 in the demo at the least. Grey’s and scandal can be moved anywhere. Abc needs help in many time slots since virtually nothing new this year has succeeded and some second year shows will be shown the door.

Comment by Jon – January 18, 2014 01:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t move the shows. Have a later start date and have no stupid winter break or fall finales. I would love to be able to watch the season back-to-back

Comment by Dijea (@Dijea) – January 18, 2014 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed – Football through December, then switch to Greys/Scandal for January – May with no breaks or repeats. Aren’t those shows on a three month break right now as it is?

Comment by ck – January 18, 2014 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I prefer this idea to moving nights. Realistically, as has been mentioned, Thursday football would end in December. January is playoffs and only Sundays, right? So air Grey’s/Scandal on Thursdays once football ends. Then get them both on the air after the Superbowl, too.

And the other thing I think could be good about this… wouldn’t it please the actors, too? It would allow them to change the shooting schedule in a way that would possibly give the actors a wee bit more freedom.

Comment by cycworker – January 18, 2014 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This makes a lot of sense on ABC’s part. ABC has a demographic that skews largely female. This will help them bring in more men to watch ABC. I’m not worried about Scandal/Grey’s moving nights because these shows have passionate fan bases who will follow them anywhere, myself included.

Comment by jenilee – January 18, 2014 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would be the best thing ever to happen to ABC since, as someone else said, Shonda Rhimes started developing series for the network. Thursday Night football would enable them to hold Grey’s and Scandal until December or January or they could move both to Tuesdays 9-11 to shore up that dead zone. Would be even better if (and know it won’t happen) Monday Night Football went back to ABC, which would enable ABC to move its current Monday hits, Dancing With The Stars and Castle, to Tuesday and they could eliminate a lot of the current flops and focus on holding onto solid hit programs to fill in holes on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Sunday.

Comment by Grant – January 19, 2014 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any news on the show “Boss?

Comment by mary fleming – January 21, 2014 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Greys and Scandal end up starting after football season over. better for both shows, no repeats!

Comment by DAVID – January 28, 2014 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post