Ratings: Michael J. Fox Show Suffers NBC's Biggest Blow Versus Idol Night 2

The Michael J. Fox Show - Season 1NBC’s Thursday comedies were not laughing as American Idol returned to the mix this week.

Community (with 3.2 million viewers and a 1.1 rating), Parks and Recreation (3.1 mil/1.2) and Sean Saves the World (2.7 mil/0.8) each shed some viewers while falling 20 percent in the demo, while The Michael J. Fox Show (2 mil/0.6) tumbled 35 percent in audience and 40 percent in the demo, hitting a series low.

Parenthood (4 mil/1.2), come 10 o’clock, ticked down just a tenth.

RELATED | American Idol San Francisco/Austin Recap: They Live for the Guitars, Guitars, Guitars

As for Idol itself, it drew 13.4 million viewers and a 3.9 rating, down 12 and 17 percent from Night 1, down 19 and 32 percent versus last season’s second outing and marking a series low for a Night 2.

Over on ABC, The Taste (3.2 mil/0.9) dropped 31 percent in the demo versus Idol. At 10 pm, a Shark Tank rerun (3.6 mil/1.2) doubled the demo rating that The Assets last pulled.

The CW’s broadcast of the Critics Choice Movie Awards did 2 mil and a 0.4, inching up in audience but down sharply in the demo from 2013.

Trailing only Idol, a Big Bang repeat drew Thursday’s second-best audience (11.9 mil) and rating (2.9).

1. Patrick says:

Humanity Sucks. Community had one of its best episodes, ever. PandR was OK, but last night was Chaos Theory good. Why aren’t people watching?

• gdv says:

I agree. It was a GREAT episode of Community. It’s definitely back to its old, awesome self.

• Patrick says:

I won’t go that far. But, as I rewatch the eps in syndication, I will admit that this is a serialized show that plays much better when viewed in order. I will further admit that it is a very uneven show. It has some truly great eps. There aren’t many, if any, BAD eps. But there were a lot of mediocre eps. And B plots.

All that said, it is still better than most of what is on right now. More people should be watching.

2. Ames says:

Wow…just a bad night for television. A .6 for the Michael j fox show. OUCH! So sad Parenthood is down this season. Last night episode with Amber’s breakdown was so raw and real. Truly phenomenal acting by Mae Whitman.

• Ally Oop says:

She is a real scene-stealer on that show. Such a good actress and I love her scenes with everyone on the show, especially Ryan and Zeke. I wonder where they will be taking the Ryan/Amber story by season’s end–I’m willing to bet she’s gonna end up finding out she’s pregnant.

• schu says:

Mae Whitman really does captivate the essence of this show. As upsetting as Amber’s actions can be sometimes (I’m rewatching earlier seasons now on dvd and boy she had some problems, her and Drew were totally screwed from inception with Sarah and Seth as parents) she makes me have all the feels every episode. It’s also commendable how well Mae has developed the character of Amber in bearing such a resemblance now to Sarah. But I’d say it’s doubtful if she’s pregnant, I’m sure the flask and cigs in this episode killed any chance of that happening. I also don’t think that would be a good direction for her character at this time.

3. DenverDean says:

Imagine if AI faced all-new CBS line-up and competition from ABC and CW. AI will reach record lows in short order.

• Stormy says:

IMO Idol will suffer in the time slots against TBBT and maybe 2&1/2. But, The Millers and Crazy Ones suck so people will flip back to Idol during that hour.

4. Eddie says:

I feel for Parenthood/Parks/Community. All consistently fantastic shows!

• Patrick says:

When people get upset that their low rated favorites were canceled without being given a chance to grow, these shows are why. They are all very good (even though I don’t watch PH, I have heard good things). And they were never ratings darlings. And they never really grew into them.

5. Dav says:

CBS was all repeats and they still beat almost everything except Idol. OUCH other networks!

6. Eli says:

I cannot believe people rather watch a TBBT re-run instead of Community/P&R/MJF Show… wtf is wrong with you Americans?

7. Matthew Weber says:

TBBT will kill idol when it comes back new. It just goes to show the power of CBS, that reruns can kill all other new content.

8. Will says:

Is it possible for NBC to scrap most of their line up and just start new? I mean compared to how they’re currently doing, it couldn’t much of gamble at this point. Except I do hope they renew Community (if so, 13 episodes I’m sure) and Parks & Rec.

I will say Nielsen’s does not account for most people in my generation who watch everything online. I’d rather pay for a Hulu+ account than cable, plus you have access to all kinds of shows and episodes. Until they start tracking that, ratings will continue to decline.

• Television Scout says:

Agree – some changes on NBC on Thursday night are probably (certainly) inevitable now as the networks begin to think about pilot season and what will transpire at season’s end in May at the Upfront for fall’14.

I’m fine with bringing both P&R and Community back for another try in fall’14 – could go either way, although I think Community may be at the end of the road. Parenthood will come back, but perhaps on a new night next fall.

Unfortunately, the 9pm hour is critical for all networks on Thursday nights, and each network needs to try to put out their best. Sean and MJF (unfortunately) didn’t work out. My question, should NBC go for broke and move Blacklist to 9pm Thursday nights next fall? By doing so, NBC is making a statement that they cannot and will not let Thursday nights fade away. They need to stay competitive on that night, in that hour, and no better way to do that than with Blacklist.

Also, if it isn’t too late for Revolution, I’d move that series from it’s current 8pm slot over to Thursday at 10pm next fall, following Blacklist.

• jenna says:

I think the biggest problem with Neilson ratings is that most people don’t know a family who has one! Go on any university campus and networks will see that the shows they are watching are these lower rated ones

9. kikay says:

Loved Parenthood last night. So glad to see John Corbett back on the show and the scene between Amber and Seth just made my heart melt. This show is such a gem to TV in general as it captures real life and the joys and heartaches of being a family. Its so sad that the ratings are not great.

10. leigh says:

I enjoy watching the MJF show. It is witty and fun tv. I do not think Thursday is a good night for it, though. It pairs well with the other shows on that night as it but TV on Thursday is not what it used to be. I hope NBC fives it another season.

11. NBC needs to try all these comedies on a different night or just except the numbers. CBS showing repeats you would think that would help. These numbers aren’t going to go that much higher. Maybe just renew them all but only for 13 episodes. That way you don’t lose so much money. I don’t think it will matter what they put on Thursday’s until TBBT and Idol are completely over or change nights.

12. Ashlyn says:

Looking at the numbers, I still don’t understand why Go On and The New Normal weren’t given more of a chance. I didn’t watch the new NBC comedies this year, mostly because I just didn’t see the point. If they had at least stuck with Go On, it might have been a different story.

13. Stephanie says:

Too bad about Dracula. Thoroughly entertaining; like watching a movie every week. Costumes music sex romance violence and JRMeyers what more do you need????? But 10 on Fridays????

14. monica blake says:

MICHAEL J. FOX IS THE BEST! THE SHOW NEEDS A PLOT! I DON’T KNOW……..MAKE MICHAEL A SINGLE REPUBLICAN who CAN’T GET A DATE………….HELP HIM!