ABC Boss Takes Blame for Wonderland Blunder, Hints at Racier Revenge Ahead

132937_GROUP_FINALr2Once Upon a Time in Wonderland had no business being on Thursday night.

At the Television Critics Association winter press tour Friday, ABC entertainment president Paul Lee expressed regret that he didn’t stick to his original plan and air the spin-off on Sundays at midseason, bridging the gap between the fall and spring runs of Once Upon a Time.

“I should’ve done that,” he said. “In retrospect, I think it would’ve done better there and I should’ve stuck with the earlier idea. I totally take responsibility for that.” A decision on a second season is TBD.

Other quick hits from ABC’s exec session…

* “Revenge is a self-starter” regardless of lead-in,” noted Lee. In its new timeslot, they “can take the handcuffs off” and “make a 10 o’clock show.”

* “It did take us a little bit of time to find our sea legs” and strike the right balance between the procedural and the mythology, said Lee of Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’s sluggish start creatively.

* Lee suggested quickly-cancelled Lucky 7 might’ve fared better at 8 pm. (My response: Nope!)

* Mind Games will replace DOA Killer Women beginning Tuesday, Feb. 25. New drama series Black Box premieres Thursday, April 24 at 10/9c, replacing Scandal (which is wrapping early due to Kerry Washington’s pregnancy). Lastly, the new cycle of Dancing With the Stars bows Monday, March 17.

* The network has ordered another Toy Story special, Toy Story That Time Forgot, to air in December.

* Body of Proof was cancelled because “we didn’t think it would grow.”

1. Mark says:

Wonderland would have done fine if it was good. It wasn’t.

• hannah says:

wrong. its an amazing show.

• AB says:

Wrong. It’s awful and the CGI is even worse than the one in the original show.

• Cass says:

The CGI is GAWDawful, which I think affects people’s judgment of the entire show. In many other ways it’s enjoyable; I think it doesn’t know what it is (a family show? A dramedy? Something darker like OUAT?). But definitely the time slot was a killer.

• dude says:

The fact that no one wanted it was the killer. How many people really thought OUAT needed a spin-off? Especially one that was unconnected to the show entirely.

• James says:

Just wait for OUAT in Oz. They are really going to screw that one up.

• Ourhy4104 says:

мʏ вυɖɖʏ’ѕ ѕιѕтɛʀ мαĸɛѕ $79/нօυʀ օɴ тнɛ ƈօмքυтɛʀ. ѕнɛ нαѕ вɛɛɴ օυт օғ աօʀĸ ғօʀ 9 мօɴтнѕ вυт ʟαѕт мօɴтн нɛʀ քαʏмɛɴт աαѕ $21867 ʝυѕт աօʀĸιɴɢ օɴ тнɛ ƈօмքυтɛʀ ғօʀ α ғɛա нօυʀѕ. ʀɛƈօммɛɴɖɛɖ ѕιтɛ fox800.­com

• James says:

I agree. It looks like something that was poorly made back in the early 90s.

• Suzan says:

Let me guess you love stupid cartoon TV like King of the Hill and The Simpsons….what a WASTE OF AIR TIME!

• james says:

Agreed. I really enjoyed it! But I wouldn’t have minded they just added Alice and Jafar into the regular Once Upon a Time show.

• teeri says:

Oh my goodness!! No Jafar please he was a bit overkill unless he came back a jeanie. Ad for the rest of the characters they would be great to add them in to O.U.A.T. I am a faithful watcher and can’t wait for each new week.Please ddon’t cancel that show.

• Mikael says:

I think Wonderland should’ve been 12-13 episodes instead of 22. I struggled with liking it at first, but it has gotten better. I hated the RQ at first, because I wanted someone amazing like Regina, but now I get that she’s not supposed to be evil like Regina, just a regular girl who wanted a crown. Jafar is the real villain. If they stuck with the original plan, the show would’ve had a better, tighter story.

• Ann Schmitt says:

I loved the show too,,!

• ashley says:

I looooove this show I think some people have should have an imagination and listen to the story not the ggraffics.

• Mable says:

If I wanted to use my imagination and listen to the story, I would read a book.. TV/films are all about the visual and graphics… making the stories come alive before your very eyes! And when it came to Wonderland, it felt cheap, shotty and felt like it was more-or-less like an afterthought – like it was just thrown together. It really affected my desire, as the viewer to really care..

• Tina says:

I agree. I like it.

• Jessica says:

I loved this shows. They better have a second season at least because they can’t end it with Will becoming a Jinn.

• Jessica says:

I love this show. It is so much better then Once Upon a Time. They better make a second season because they can’t end it with Will turning into a Jinn and leaving it at that.

• Evelyn Simek says:

Please tell the makers of Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, And please not betrayal. and what about under the Bubble?Im so tired of all the other idiot shows, that you guys think is funny. They are so stuiped . Please think about it.

• Suzan says:

I also LOVED OUAT in Wonderland. Very creative, Wonderful Cast… Can’t believe another GREAT show is gone :( There is so much JUNK on TV….Why get rid of the good ones???

• Tee says:

I was looking forward to this show so much, and I think I made it through the pilot and like 5 minutes of the second episode. It wouldn’t have mattered what night they put it on.

• Laura says:

I think if abc would have put wonderland on later it would not have been so sloppy with cgi and acting but otherwise I think its pretty true to once upon a time they just needed more time.

• Ben says:

As a midseason filler, it would have been a shorter and, one assumes, tighter season. So how good it is when they had to belatedly stretch it out dopes not necessarily have any bearing on what it would have been like if it had been retained as a 13 episode midseason filler.

• Shazay says:

I’m watching it. I quite like it. Looking forward to seeing how Will gets out of the bottle.

• Carl Modren says:

IT’S A NEW YEAR TIME FOR A NEW JOBS!!! Start working from your home and make $90/h… Only basic computer skills needed and reliable internet connection… Get your first weekly check at the end of this week… Stop wasting time and start now… Sign up at following address ★★★★★ W­­W­­W.­­M­­A­­X­­­­4­­7.­­C­­O­­M­­

• P.j. Whitman says:

Please monitor your spam, this is a week-end show or syndicated show… How about send a redo to ABC family?, not LCD, least common denominator enough, broad appeal enough for network tv…

• Larc says:

I agree. OUATIW is poorly written and its main character woefully miscast. Alice was supposedly brought up in cultured, affluent surroundings, but she has an accent that sounds more London East End.

• Bianca says:

I think someone better could have been picked for Alice. There was an article where Emma Rigby, who plays the Red Queen originally wanted the part of Alice. I’m like she would have been a better Alice then Sophie Rowe.

• Traci Coolbroth says:

I loved this show. I cant wait for season 2! I hated the animated movie – but I think this TV show was an adaption of a little of both the Alice in Wonderland and Aladdin movies. This show is really fun to watch. You people who didn’t like it – FINE – just don’t watch.

• I liked the story line, now how do we get him out of the bottle?

• it was absolutely awful…..a ridiculous premise!

• sam says:

WELL I THINK IT WAS AWESOME I LOVE STORY’S LIKE THAT I JUST WISH AND HOPE THAT’S NOT THE END TO THIS STORY BECAUSE THAT WILL BE JUST DISAPPOINTING I LOVE THE TWISTS I LOVE THE BAZAAR THIS YOU SEE LIKE IT WOULD BE I FOUND THE COMEDY OF IT FUNNY I LOVE THIS TV SHOW PLEASE DON’T END IT LIKE THAT

• Candice C. says:

Worderland is better than the original one and I DVR both of them cause they are both great! idk what you guys are talking about!

• Darthie says:

It was a great show. One of the very few I watch on that channel. I don’t know where they get the idea that nobody liked it because everyone I know really enjoyed it.

• athena says:

I love once upon a time in wonderland, i think it was a nice spin off i truly enjoy the show and will miss it dearly i love wonderland ^^

2. Mike R. says:

Great work ABC, you realized something the internet realized before the show even premiered.

• wordsmith says:

Yeah, we all pretty much called it. Still though, it’s nice to hear them admit it in public.

It really would have been a perfect fit for that hiatus-filling position, but at the end of the day, I personally was glad to get it at all. For all its faults, it was fun and definitely had its moments.

• Brooke says:

Right? The second that news was posted on this site, most of the people commenting chimed in to say that they thought this was not a good idea, and that it would be OUAT overkill having them both airing as 22 episode seasons.

3. wrstlgirl says:

Yeah, Wonderland is just bad, period.

4. CountryQueen says:

Love Wonderland – even though most of it is still sitting on my DVR (I still have a huge backup thanks to AMC’s airing of Breaking Bad marathon and The Walking Dead marathons). Definitely would have been a great as originally planned.

You are soooooo right about Lucky 7. Those characters were awful. I watched the pilot, and knew I wasn’t going back when I left the room for 10 minutes without pausing, and didn’t bother to rewind when I came back in.

5. Brian says:

Wonderland has been a ton better than the main show this season.

6. Joe says:

Calling BS on body of proof. It did better than every drama ABC has premiered this season except for SHIELD.

• Alex says:

Lots of problems with your oh-so-confident statement here. First, ABC doesn’t have a crystal ball and couldn’t know ahead of time how badly its new dramas would do. Besides, you’re making the very basic, illogical, and foolish mistake of simply assuming that Body of Proof would do at least as well this season as it did in the past. It very likely would not have–most shows drop with age, in fact. So probably Body of Proof would have declined had it stayed on, and in fact might have done worse than some of the new dramas this season did.

• Jon says:

Body of Proof survived several serious schedule changes, behind-the-scenes changes, and it’s final season played on well past sweeps season and ended in June without experiencing a decline in viewership. BoP might not have been able to draw in new viewers, but it had a very dedicated and sizeable group of viewers nonetheless. ABC made a huge mistake canceling it, and it’s time for everyone to admit that.

• Daven says:

Sorry but Body of Proof was horrid in Season 3. The writers made Megan into an idiot, Curtis and Ethan totally uninteresting and not funny comic-relief. The loss of Peter as Megan’s foil and the addition of the idiot played by Mark Valley, totally ruined what was an amazing show.

• Dys says:

As it turns out it was doing better than a lot of this year’s shows like you said, but considering that Body Of Proof was cancelled months before any of this season’s shows debuted, it isn’t necessarily bs that at the time of cancellation they didn’t think it would grow.

• John Hibert says:

the jerk Paul Lee doesn’t know a good show like BODY OF PROOF, He rather stuss himself with the boring Bachorlette and look at thos fools who cant find a woman and are hopeless BODY OF PROOF IS A GREAT SEXY AND DRAMA SHOW BRING IT BACK MORON

7. Amy says:

I’m glad that they admitted (airing it against The Big Bang was crazy) that but I think that the show also should have also introduced the Knave on OUAT first and had some ‘fan’ build-up for the character, especially given he was in Storybrooke. Also there’s the absence of Jefferson/Mad Hatter, there is so much they could have done with that character, because a ton of OUAT fans are curious about him (who was Grace’s mom etc) and would have tuned in and I know actor wasn’t available but still it’s a shame because being in Wonderland without the Mad Hatter seems off. I really, really enjoyed the show though and it would have helped with the OUAT hiatus a lot!

• Cass says:

I think that the Knave character (and his romance with the Red Queen) is clearly a substitute for what was conceived as a story for Jefferson/Hatter. And yeah, I think that Seb Stan has the charisma to have anchored the show as the girl who plays Alice and the guy who plays the genie couldn’t (see, I can’t even remember their names).

• gdv says:

Interesting theory about the Knave storyline originally being meant for Jefferson. I do like the Knave actor a lot—he’s a bright spot in the show. However, I don’t buy his love story with the Red Queen that much. He seems to have much more chemistry with Alice. (In fact, in the original 15-minute showcase released by Adam & Eddy, there was much more of a “moment” between Alice and the Knave right before they jump into the rabbit’s hole. When they aired the full pilot, that scene was deleted and totally replaced, unfortunately.)

• Logan says:

While that’s possible, I highly doubt they ever planned to make Jefferson a major part of the series. When news first broke of the show’s development, it was implied that he was a busy guy. They’ve known that for a while. They’ve said they’ll be happy to write him into OUAT when he’s available. Not to mention, Wonderland takes place along the timeline of Season Two. It would have been a continuity error adding him in considering he is reunited with Grace shortly after the curse broke and the Knave’s journey back was around the time the Wraith arrived.

• the girl says:

I agree with everything you said here. I love Wonderland but there are so many things they could have done to make it work better. Plus who is the person who said the CGI is gawd awful? Yes honey. The worst.

• Matt B says:

For those of you complaining about the CGI remember that this does not come cheap and ABC gets what it pays for. Series TV is very expensive and being that overall viewing is now just several million people per show a show must be a ratings success and demographic success from the get go. Just look over at SyFy and NBC network and you will see that it has become a network that is nothing like sci-fi was meant to be because of demographics. They don’t want old people or really young but that niche right in the middle that makes all the money and buys all the products. Might as well just get used to it. Shows will come and go quickly. ABC is rebooting The Visitors for the second time to replace one of these shows which is about as funny as you can get as it tanked last go around but now who knows.

• Dani L. says:

Plus, the way *I* saw it was that wonderland is supposed to look like that. It’s supposed to be whimsy and out-of-this-world. Wonderland shouldn’t look “real” but more like a “land” of “wonder”. It’s quirky and it fits, in my opinion. I wasn’t crazy about the storyline until like three episodes in but I LOVE it now. I don’t like Alice too much, and Cyrus is okay. However, The Knave and the Red Queen MAKE the show along with Jafar. It’s awesome. I love being able to watch OUAT on Sunday and then something similar on Thursdays. It’s nice. They definitely need to give it another shot. Ten times better than 90% of the shows on these days. {Plus, my four year old loves it because it’s Alice in Wonderland haha}

8. Wonderland was much better than the reviews made it out to sound.

9. AB says:

Someone should be fired for putting SFN on Wednesdays and leaving The Goldbergs and Trophy Wife on Tuesdays.

• Will says:

THIS!!
      Why didn’t Ausiello (or someone else) ask Lee why they didn’t move those 2 series to Wednesdays and leave SFN to die on Tuesdays with Back in the Game? I mean if they’re dead series airing anyway, or heck drop them to Fridays and move Last Man Standing after S.H.I.E.L.D.

• Boiler says:

Agree with Will. Would really like to try and have these execs actually defend themselves. Michael or Matt, are you able to question them??

• MiaB says:

Maybe they don’t have to move it, but at least put The Goldbergs and Trophy Wife on at 8 and 8:30 instead of letting them wither and die behind that god awful SHIELD.

10. Anne says:

Wonderland is way better then the original series. The characters are more interesting, and I care about them. I have not cared about the original series since August died.

• Sarahliz1624 says:

You are in the minority, my friend

• Noelle says:

I agree completely with this. The Wonderland characters are far more interesting, and easier to relate to. I am hoping for a second chance for the show, as it deserves it, the cast is perfect.

• Jae says:

I agree completely. And I don’t understand why they decided to leave giant gaps between episodes of both Once and Wonderland instead of putting Wonderland on Sunday during the Once hiatus. Seems like an obvious way to bring Once fans into the show without risking losing viewers of both shows who lose interest in the three months between new episodes. What are they showing on Sunday nights now? Might as well be doing reruns of Wonderland.

• Agree! I love OUAT however…..The Knave and the Red Queen are amazing! And Jafar is a heck of a villian!

11. Dani says:

it’s a shame about killer women, the original show it’s based on is excellent.
    If they had kept the original format it might have been just as great, but i get how that kind of thing might not work for american tv. the original show had all stand-alone episodes, each with a new cast and a new case (based on true events) every week. it was very dark and very well written, like in america it would have to be on cable bc it was really racy sometimes.
    I love me some Tricia Helfer, but this was just not good.

• Tahonia says:

I’m kind of enjoying Killer Women; any glimpse of Michael Trucco is appreciated. I like Marc Blucas, but he’s sort of miscast here.

12. Et al says:

So basically Paul Lee admitted everyone on the internet is smarter than him.

13. iMember says:

REVENGEEEE

14. Drew says:

Revenge doesn’t need to be racier. It needs to go back to being intelligent. Right now it is a dumb soap opera. In season 1 is was smart and captivating.

After two off seasons I am thinking that I might be time to drop Revenge. It is a shame because it used to be a high point of the week.

• Lena says:

I agree. Season 1 of Revenge was incredible. Racier? I hope his definition of that doesn’t mean Scandal 2.0. Revenge doesn’t need heavy sex scenes to keep viewers.

• iMember says:

Season 3 is VERY VERY good! Season one standard good.

• Drew says:

I disagree. Emily is a moron these days. Far from the brilliant, strong character of season 1. There is no clear arc anymore. No Count of Monte Cristo vibe. It is just Melrose Place with everyone looking at each other with squinty eyes and expressing how much they hate each other in every scene.
        The show used to be about something. Now it is about sexy backstabbing and betrayal, and coming up with dead-end plots just to keep the show going.

• I thought so too, I liked it, why does it always have to have a lot of violent to make it a good show. Let Emily do her think that she knows best to do. backstabbing and betrayal is that not a part of real life. Her Plan went wrong give her a chance to start up again. I think she is doing things wisely. I can’t wait for it to start again, the only think I did not like is that she can not have any children. did the mother in law make that up and had a doctor ok it to punish her? CAN NOT WAIT

• Dave says:

I hope it gets like Scandal, they’re on the same page and Revenge totally needs to get more more violent and sexy! Keep watching it, the third season is always getting better!

• Lena says:

Revenge was great in Season 1 because of the writing. They don’t have to go Shonda’s way to create good television.

15. Mark says:

Not surprised by all the “hate” for Wonderland here (it helps to recognize that the biggest ratings go to crap), but, imo, the tone and story on Wonderland is much better than OUAT which often feels like a thoughtless cut-and-paste from Disney rather than the underlying real folktales *or* a new imagining of the mythology. This is one viewer that’s more anxious for Wonderland’s return than in plowing through his DVR backlog of OUAT eps. So there. (FWIW, I generally loathe comments that bash a tv show — so please take my negative comments about the parent show as a rebuttal to all the venom for the “spinoff.” I watch both … just prefer Wonderland.)

• JC says:

I prefer Wonderland too. I still watch OUAT, but I’ve lost a lot of my enthusiasm for the show. Wonderland had its issues, but I found myself enjoying it far more. I still hope they find a way to finish this season’s story at least.

16. Sarah says:

Moving Revenge to sundays was à vert bad idea.

17. smb says:

S.H.I.E.L.D might actually do better if ABC didn’t program it to run until 9:01 and have it conflict on DVR schedules with other things slated to record in that 9pm time slot.

18. Kim R says:

So was Killer Women cancelled? I think I missed that.

• Loki says:

Can we find out if they’re going to burn off Killer Women in another timeslot? Or not air it at all?

A show like that would do nicely on Lifetime, methinks…

• lll says:

From what I’m hearing Killer Women is going to end “a little early” for Mind Games. Take that however you want.

19. scooby says:

Lee also said “Castle is one of the greatest assets on the network” and I wholeheartedly concur. They’re probably raking it in from syndication money right now too since it airs so frequently on TNT. Hopefully they mentioned the People’s Choice Awards wins during the ABC panel. It’d be nicer if they’d actually promote the show. In Fall 2012 (I think) the Emmys were on ABC the day before Castle’s highly anticipated post-hookup premiere and it wasn’t even mentioned. I think they feel they’re getting a lot for little expense if you look at what Castle does vs its cost of promotion, but fans feel like redheaded step children when one of their favorite shows gets little network attention.

• Sarahliz1624 says:

Yeah, but the more money they spend on promotion, the more expensive it is to continue the show, and the easier it is to cancel should the ratings drop even a little. It’s a winner for them, it’s consistent, and they’re keeping it around. That’s all I care about.

• Rich Abey says:

Well reconsider your evaluation. The majority of the budget for a show goes towards it production (say at least 75%), not promotion. Then consider the budget for Castle..it has one of the lowest budgets for a procedural show on all networks, let alone on ABC, yet it has been the most watched show on ABC for the past 4 years & one of the top 10 most watched shows (including football) of all networks! So the cost-benefit ration is hugely skewed towards benefits, especially compared to shows like Blacklist, SHIELD, Chicago Fire, Elementary, Bones, etc.
        Finally as scooby mentioned, Castle receives relatively low promotion from ABC, when compared to shows on ABC & other networks that get similar ratings/viewer numbers.
        So yes us fans would prefer if Castle got a bit more attention from ABC given it’s amazing consistency & growth even after 6 seasons.

20. Zorkel says:

Yeah, as much as I may hate to admit it, I doubt Wonderland will get a Season 2. The only slight chance I could see is if they tested it as a bridge then, of remade it as Camelot or Agrabagh. But I don’t see a Season 2 in our future, sadly.

• Kat says:

It was never going to have a Season 2, it was always meant to be a standalone season.

• Zorkel says:

The creators have said time and time again that yes, Season 1 is standalone. But if possible, they would bring the characters back for a Season 2 with a new storyline.

• Dave says:

I always thought they should have visited a different worldo each season, this year wonderland and in the next one neverland or even oz, that could bring new aspects that couldn’t be seen in the originale series because of the plot that needs to go on

• taran63 says:

In theory, I agree with this concept of visiting a different world each season. But in practice, after the long stretch on OUAT, I never want to see Neverland again.

• Ash says:

That would’ve been nice. As sick as I was of Neverland by the end there it would have been nice to see more of the actual characters from the Peter Pan story. I also would have liked to have seen Nealfire’s time on the island. I kind of doubt we’ll be getting anything else from the Peter Pan story in the second half of S3.

• Ash says:

I don’t want a S2 anyway. While it was no where near as strong as S1 of OUaT, I’ve enjoyed Wonderland and I don’t want to see it go flying downhill like the mother show has done. Its a shame they stuck it where they did. Assuming ABC used the same schedule for OUaT’s hiatus, its timeslot would have been perfect for a 13 episode or so standalone spin off about some other land too keep people interested in the OUaTverse.

21. wednesday says:

I like Alice, Cyrus and the Knave, but that’s about it. The Red Queen and Jafar are just awful. I wish we could’ve gotten some background on the 3 leads. How did Alice find the white rabbit and follow him to Wonderland? What were some of her adventures? How did Cyrus become a genie? What was his life like before? What were the adventures that Alice and Cyrus have? How did the Knave and Alice meet and how did she help him get his heart back? There are so many good stories that we could’ve been shown or have yet to see! I say less Anastacia and Jafar! Now that Alice and Cyrus have been reunited it will be interesting to see how they get Will back.

• lll says:

In my opinion I feel that Jafar is the only one keeping me interested in the show. Everyone else is awful. Well at least we can agree on disliking the Red Queen.

• Sora says:

I think too many were expecting a red version of the Evil Queen (bows to Lana Parilla). The step-sisters from Cinderella were never really fearsome villains to begin with and Anastasia (i.e. the Red Queen) is exactly as she ought to be, in my opinion.

• JC says:

Wait, what? Is Anastasia supposed to be one of Cinderella’s stepsisters?

• Meg says:

Cinderella’s step-sisters are Anastasia and Drizella. Not sure if this Anastasia is supposed to be a step-sister (I don’t watch OUATIW) but they share a name.

• Ariane says:

Personnally, Anastasia is my favorite character and I really want to see more of her!

22. Nicole says:

Nice to see the passion for Wonderland whether it’s good or bad. As long as people are talking about it, it has a chance, LOL.

I come out on the side of loving it in spite of its CGI issues. Looking forward to its return in March.

23. Bianca says:

The Wonderland show is good but lets face it its no Once Upon a Time. I think Adam and Eddie should have waited to write a spin off til after regular Once was completely over. The reason Once Wonderland is failing is I partly agree they should have aired while regular Once is on hiatus but the other fact is regular Once Upon a Time lost a lot of viewers during the second season because of too many characters or focusing a lot of attention on certain characters and not the others. Plus half the storylines on regular once were really bad. The third season is better then the second season but its still losing a lot of viewers. It dragged the Neverland plot out a little bit long and the last seasons they over did it with the one person being multiple characters. This season of regular once is now over doing it with Henry’s family tree getting bigger. So its like guys what makes you think a spin off show is going to do better then the regular show when the regular show has been losing viewers?

• taran63 says:

I would have to disagree with this. There are plenty of spinoff shows that have aired while the parent show is still on the air where both shows still get viewers. Just off the top of my head, there’s: NCIS and NCIS: LA, Grey’s Anatomy and Private Practice, Buffy and Angel, all of the CSI’s, and probably several others that I’m not thinking of. I don’t think the fact that viewers are saturated with OUAT is what’s causing the low ratings. In fact, I think the Wonderland ratings would probably be better if it aired immediately after OUAT.

• JC says:

I agree. I’m sure there’s lots of reasons why they didn’t, but I still wish they’d at least tried airing them back to back.

• Bianca says:

But that’s how a lot of people felt that the writers should have focused on making regular once better instead of doing a spin off. I know that’s how I feel too. I mean the Wonderland is good but either a lot of people aren’t watching it or the people that were watching it before aren’t now.

24. ljd213 says:

Body Of Proof stopped growing and became dead with the misguided cast changes at the end of Season 2. It wasn’t worth watching so many of us bailed and never looked back. Whoever tinkered with it wasn’t paying attention to what made the fan meters move.

25. Babygate says:

I cannot be the only person who thinks that the worst thing ABC has going for them right now is Paul Lee. The man has made one disastrous decision after another. Putting SHIELD against NCIS, cancelling Body of Proof, giving the greenlight to the god-awful OUAT in Wonderland, Lucky 7, etc. etc. He’s just made way too many mistakes and put on the air too many bad shows. It is astonishing that he’s still there.

• Jamie says:

Don’t forget cancelling No Ordinary Family back in 2011. They stopped it just when it was getting good and left a giant cliffhanger!

26. Tim says:

i really wish they would bring back the dancing results show. Revenge will not work at 10 on sundays with that lead in. Unfortunately, as good as the show has become now, they need a lead in to remind viewers who have left.

27. Curt says:

this show had so many chances, but they just didn’t work. except for Michael Socha, even the cast was wasted. sorry

28. Zach says:

LOL @ BoP excuse. ABC is “All Be Canceled” these days…sort of like NBC, Nothing But Cancellations.

• Jacqi says:

The CW is just as bad with cancellations.

• Sarahliz1624 says:

They’ve had quite a few long runners though. TVD’s at 5 years, Smallville went for 10 (allbeit starting on the WB), Nikita had 3.5, Supernatural’s on 10 (I believe, I don’t watch it), Arrow’s definitely getting a 3rd, Reign and the Originals are all but locks for renewal. They won’t be cancelling too many this year. Hart of Dixie maybe, Tomorrow People is a possibility, midseason premieres are too soon to tell, Beauty and the Beast and The Carrie Diaries are the only ones which will probably be cancelled and they are both on their second seasons. Ringer is the only one that I can think of in recent memory from them that I really like that was cancelled, and even that got one full season.The CW is pretty good about giving shows a shot.

• Which is crazy because they have the best shows (almost)!

29. Jamie says:

CGI aside, I think the stories are good, and good character development, with a few exceptions. Jafar, in my opinion, is the most well-written and well-acted character on the show. I think there needs to be more character development in the future, though. Can’t wait to see Cora’s return!

30. Victoria C. says:

I have to agree with alot of what others were saying. From the first show, the CGI was just pointless at times. I felt like they were just visiting places, just for the sake of it being Wonderland (mad hatter for example). I didn’t like the love triangles and just wished Alice and the Genie both were showcased before they met. I didn’t stay passed the 4th episode. I don’t think it would’ve even mattered if they changed time slots, the show was just bad. The Red Queen was awkward at times, Jafar was evil, but not showcased enough, the Genie was a genie, yet never used his powers? I was so happy for the spin off, but unlike OUAT, the characters just didn’t blend.

• Ariane says:

I think it’s because they don’t have any episode for show in detail every charater and their evoluate :/ I would love to see Will’s parent, more of Cheschire and the Tweedlee!

31. Wonderland had a lot of issues ,
    Time Slot ,
    Bad Scripts and Production Work Early On ,
    An Over Use of English Accents , this aint BBC America

As for SHIELD ,
    The scripts really really sucked so I stopped watching , that said I watched the last episode even though I had stopped watching SHIELD and it was so much better then anything I saw those 1st few weeks , so its possible the show might have a 2nd viable season if this was not a fluke

32. Shannon says:

I am glad the boss took responsibility and admitted his scheduling blunder. I think his orginal plan would have worked better and definitely if it were on Sundays. I wasn’t able to watch it on thursday but I would like to watch it on sundays. I actually liked the preview we saw at Comic Con but would have liked to watch it on Sundays.

33. Sora says:

Wonderland is the one I’m really missing during the hiatus but, I’m still undecided as to whether I want it to have a second season and risk it turning into another frustratingly prolonged soap opera like OUAT. Although more characters is absolutely the last thing the mother show needs right now, I hope it will adopt the Wonderland characters if they don’t go into a second season of their own.

If I had to guess where things “went wrong”, I’d suggest the timing and the promos. ABC OUAT promos have a habit of going “big” and not conveying the actual point of the show/episode as well as they could (but, that’s what CTV and YouTube are for, right?). It took three episodes for the show to hook me, and I suspect it was because all the promos had me expecting something else entirely (apparently, Cyrus’ big character reveal is being saved for the second half of the season; not what you’d expect with him and the love story being all over the promos).

Props to Mr. Paul Lee for recognizing and owning a decision that wasn’t the best one. Thankfully, we’re living in the age of the internet and, with at least two more seasons’ worth of OUAT hiatus withdrawal for fans to suffer through, Wonderland is certain of coming into its own and getting the love it deserves, eventually. No real harm done…unless, you’re an advertiser, maybe.

34. abz says:

I like Wonderland even though the mother show is still wayyyy better, but please no second season. I’d rather they do another spinoff in a different realm (i.e. Once Upon A Time in….). Perhaps Once Upon A Time in Neverland. They can explore the history of Neverland and it would be a great excuse to bring back Robbie Kay, and maybe even young Baelfire and Hook every now and then.

35. N says:

I still love Revenge!

36. Ariane says:

Seriously, I don’t know what I will do if they cancel Wonderland. It is my FAVORITE show ever! I adore Will, Ana, Cyrus and everyone of this show! I love OUAT concept but in the original serie, it’s began too darker and it’s like the fairytale part didn’t really exist anymore. I’m more happy after watch the spin-off!

Please, please… Rewned this TV-Show!! T_T

37. Tahonia says:

Would watch SHIELD live in a different time slot.

38. liz says:

I stopped watching OUAT:IW mostly because the schedule was so busy. It wasn’t very good, but had it aired during the OUAT hiatus, I would have probably continued to watch it.

39. anonymous says:

The show is brilliant regardless it’s production, which by saying i do not mean to say it’s terrible. And neither is the acting. I personally love it, it’s watchable and enjoyable and i think they need to stop cancelling good shows.. this is about the 8 t.v. show that i have watched that they’ve cancelled. It’s getting frustrating now.

40. nicole says:

I Love wonderland as much as the original once. I think the character’s are good and the storyline and each episode is a new adventure. Idc what the cgi looks like. It looks good enough to me to make the land look like its supposed to look. Abnormal and out there. Dreamy like its wonderland its not supposed to look natural and realistic. Please don’t cancel. Change the night if you think it helps. So what if it doesn’t get enough views I hate when a show I love gets cancelled just because people don’t appreciate it and want to be negative. There are still people who like it and why should we suffer? If one person is watching then it should matter. Everyone wants to be a critic but you dont know how hard it is to write and make a good show. And I think they did a pretty good job with it. Could it be better? Sure. So could any other show. They work with their budget and I don’t think they should be punished for that. People didn’t think once was gonna be a hit, but its one of the best shows out there. Could they have just put aspects of wonderland into once? Sure, but im glad they didn’t because we get to see more and I can’t wait to see cora in wonderland. Please don’t cancel for your fans who love the show.

41. Phil says:

I still love Revenge also! It is my favorite show this year! It should have been a ten o’clock show to begin with. I disagree that Emily is weak! If anything she is stronger now because of her vulnerability! ABC needs to keep this show a fourth season!

42. Noelle says:

I hope, as they’ve admitted what they’ve done wrong with Wonderland, they’ll give it a second chance. I’ve seen the writers in an interview state there could be more self contained adventures with that cast if the interest is there and I think it is. In all truth, out of all the shows to premiere this season Once Upon a Time in Wonderland is the only one that caught my interest and has held it, it flows better than the original Once Upon a Time (I enjoyed the show, but not to this level and have pretty well given up on the original OUAT). The relationship between Alice and Cyrus is just such a fairy tale, and it is nice to see something on the television filled with whimsy and positive characters over the usual. We need a lot more of that. The complaints over the CGI seems a little silly to me, as the original show has some pretty bad CGI at times, and it is about imagination anyway. Wonderland feels, to me, to be the most imaginative show on the television at the moment.
    Give the show a second chance, put it in as hiatus filler for next season, I can wait until December to see more of Alice and Cyrus. I just really want to see more of the cast, and more stories. It is just so lovely having something on to watch that captures the imagination for a change. I hope it is given a second chance.

43. Bailey says:

My boyfriend and I absolutely LOVE OUATIW and we are both praying for a season 2!! Sure, changes could be made to the show, but nothing’s perfect. You learn from your mistakes and figure out how to make the next season better than the last. This show is amazing. Period. As for the previous CGI comments… yeah there is no doubt that it’s not the best on this show, but HELLO people there’s a reason for that! Wonderland is supposed to be unlike anything you’ve ever seen before. Even the thought of it is supposed to be crazy wild and hard to comprehend. I think the show was amazing and I think it deserves a season 2!!

44. rose says:

I LOVE BOTH OF THE ONCE UPON A TIME SHOWS!!!! i have been checking my guide and the net almost daily and at least weekly to see when i can get new episode… my kids are in love with the shows too… i really really hope to see more of both shows… at least some closure of some kind cause i can not stand it when people end shows with out closure…

45. Karen says:

I love both “Once Upon a Time” programs, personally, and I hope that they at least see “Wonderland” through to a reasonable ending, instead of just ending it. (What I really hope for is that they don’t cancel it at all, but sadly, it’s not up to me.)

That said, I’ve seen a lot of people complaining about the poor CGI, etc. Well, geez, people, I ask you: Have you ever read the actual books? Wonderland is SUPPOSED to be weird–and that’s all the CGI is demonstrating. If they’d wanted it to be more realistic, I’m sure that they would have done so–it’s not like they don’t have the technology to do so. But the CGI they’re using is to illustrate how frightening the oddities of Wonderland actually are supposed to be–besides, there is so much more to the show than just the CGI. But if you don’t see that, then there’s nothing I’m going to be able to say that will dissuade you–just don’t feel that you have to ruin it for those of us who DO enjoy this program. Watch something else–it’s not like there isn’t anything else on t.v.!

• Dan Avram says:

In all honesty, OUAT never caught my attention. I tried the pilot… Nothing there for me. A few days ago I stumble upon OUAT:IW on Hulu Plus. If anything I absolutely adore the plethora of English accents, and how these writers are humanizing what otherwise would be yet another numb fantasy ( a la OUAT ). Anastasia is absolutely amazing “darling” ( and I’m not sure if it’s intended but there something Marylin Monroe-esque about how that line is written and/or delivered ). Alice is great for THIS storyline ( it’s a REtelling… are we supposed to be expecting a Disney Cinderella 2.0. – that would be horrible ). Jafar is a great villain. I do need more info on Cyrus ( which I’m hearing it’s on the way ), and I am confused about the Knave as in, for someone missing his *heart* still by choice he seems to be very much human. I’m missing the meaning of the concept is what I mean ( I’m probably used to much with the ” humanity shut off” on TVD to make room for another different variation of the idea/ concept ). The dynamics between the cast and the writing is good quality in my eyes, and way above average compared to other ” popular” shows nowadays, so much so that CGI is a non-isue. There’s never gonna be summer blockbuster like CGI on TV mainly because of budget restraints, and the time needed for editing and such , I’m assuming , when I try to think logically about it.
      And to end this long one of mine, all I want to say is I just finished episode 8 and I’m hooked. I want more of that dynamic, attitude , psychology , surrounded by this peticular fantasy element… Plus it’s the FIRST time that a TV show compels me to write a comment about it…

46. Charmette says:

I liked the show… Well actually loved it… It don’t matter when it came on…I was still always able to catch it in order to watch it…. If the company is so worried about timing, then they can just wait till once upon a time season 4 ends an then come back wit Wonderland, having them to go back to the fairytale land an do what they gong to do in a separate area away from the original characters, r they can meet up wit the original characters along their journey… But either way I hope they do come out with season 2

47. I don’t mind the bad CGI Effects, or the slightly bad acting, what really hooked me in was the story. Call me a sucker for fairy tales, but I actually enjoyed the story, and think that it has potential to grow.

• Sarahliz says:

There’s no point in telling any story if you’re not going to tell it well. You might have the best joke in the world, but if you screw up the punch line, what was the point of telling the joke?

• andicat43 says:

I think characters are more important than cgi and effects. Who cares about all that. It’s only there to help tell the story not BE the story. I loved it. Any show takes a minute to get into showing characters, and especially when they characters are magical or mystical etc. Always takes longer, but I don’t think they took longer than any new show beginning. Much shorter than some. And they only had a few episodes then the darn pilot season was over. Wish they have shows like this a full run, so many awesome characters to get into and develope. It all takes time but I think they did a wonderful job with wonderland with the very short amount of time they had. If you watch the first season of some of your favorite shows you may change your mind lol. Building character development takes more than just an awesome idea. But I think they’ve done well. And the character quirks helped with all of it I think. Gave it a very wonderlandy feel. I hope it does renew for a full season… If they are still deciding that.

48. Brandy says:

I like Wonderland but it took about four episodes to get good after starting out boring & not good.I like Jafar,Alice,Cyrusand the Cyrus/Alice love story

49. Jessica says:

I like OUATIW and think it should come back, but I love OUAT more and can’t wait for it to come back in march. They need to be back to back though on sundays.

50. Linda says:

It’s nothing but diappointments. ABC does this all the time. We all get interested and they cancel and sometimes do not even give a decent ending. I’m getting sick of watching and then nothing. I best try some other stations.