Showtime Orders to Series Sexy Affair, Philip Seymour Hoffman Comedy; Sets 2 Return Dates

Hoffman West ShowtimeShowtime has ordered to series two new yet very different projects, each populated by familiar faces.

On the comedy front, the pay cabler has given a green light to Happyish (fka Trending Down), which stars Oscar-winner Philip Seymour Hoffman as Thom Payne, an ad man who is sent adrift when his ad agency is taken over. The project is described as a “blistering attack on our youth-obsessed culture and a darkly comic examination of what it means to matter. Or matter not.”

On the steamy/angst front, there is The Affair, which is described an intense and intimate exploration of two marriages and an indiscretion that disrupts them – with all of the complex consequences that result. The cast features Dominic West (The Wire) and Ruth Wilson (Luther) — as the adulterers — and Maura Tierney (ER) and Joshua Jackson (Fringe), as their respective proper mates.

TheAffair_ShowtimeNo timetables are yet available for either series, though the trailers previewed at TCA looked fantastic.

In other Showtime news, the network announced Season 6 of Nurse Jackie and the final season of Californication will premiere April 13.

Comments (19)

• Naked, angsty Joshua Jackson? Yes please.

Comment by hana – January 16, 2014 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First of all, does the journalist who wrote this article have dyslexia?? “Showtime has ordered to series two new yet very different projects”

Second of all, Ruth Wilson!!! So happy she will be back on TV!

Comment by Eddie – January 16, 2014 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wait! I read that wrong… My mistake…

Comment by Eddie – January 16, 2014 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Do you have dyslexia? :-p

Comment by David4 – January 16, 2014 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Expect Philip Seymour Hoffman to be Emmy-nominated for Happyish because he’s a “movie” star doing TV. I also hope it’s good showcase for Kathryn Hahn because she’s wonderful but also hasn’t quite fond that true breakout role yet.

So over adultery-themed dramas though. So less enthused by the pickup of The Affair – but probably will check it because that is one great cast.

Comment by Brett – January 16, 2014 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder what will air in the summer? I guess The Franchise is not coming back.

Comment by Richard – January 16, 2014 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You had me at Ruth Wilson.

Comment by Diane – January 16, 2014 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Josh Jackson will soon be back on my TV. I couldn’t be happier!

Comment by moon – January 16, 2014 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate the premise of the show but dangbabbit it’s Joshua Jackson so I’m watching. And I like Maura Tierney too.

Comment by Ally Oop – January 16, 2014 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Affair sounds a lot like Betrayal.

Comment by Steven – January 16, 2014 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ruth Wilson!

Comment by Morgan – January 16, 2014 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maura Tierney! She was originally cast in Parenthood, but had to withdraw due to her bout with cancer. I’ve always wondered how that show would have fared had she been in the cast.

Comment by HAP – January 16, 2014 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dominic West, Ruth Wilson, Joshua Jackson AND Maura Tierney in the same show? I may die of happiness before I ever see any of this.

Comment by TheTVJunkee – January 16, 2014 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad The Affair got pickup. Great cast for the show.

Comment by Joey – January 16, 2014 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post