Showtime Boss Talks Homeland Backlash, Says No Dexter Spin-Off Without Michael C. Hall

Dexter Spinoff NewsAppearing Thursday morning at the Television Critics Association winter press tour, Showtime entertainment president David Nevins acknowledged yet defended against criticism of Homeland Season 3.

RELATED | Showtime Orders to Series Sexy Affair and Philip Seymour Hoffman Comedy; Sets Return Dates for Nurse Jackie and Final Californication

Saying that certain critiques “didn’t surprise me,” Nevins opined that “the season was pretty brilliant in its architecture” and unexpectedly prescient, “very clever and very audacious” in its take on changes in U.S./Iran relations.

As for the knock that Season 3 in ways felt like a mere bridge between Seasons 2 and 4, he said, “We always knew we were heading towards a major reset.”

Nevins said of Homeland Season 4, with Carrie stationed in Istanbul, “The likely plan is you will see her on the ground… doing her job,” while Mandy Patinkin’s Saul — who left the CIA to work in the private sector — will play a “central” role.

RELATED | Homeland EP Reveals Whether [Spoiler] Is Really Dead, Confirms [Spoiler] Will Be Back, Teases Season 4 Storyline

After the panel, Nevins said that any possible Dexter spin-off — thus far there have only been “ongoing conversations” — would demand the participation of Michael C. Hall. “It would have to involve Michael… If we were to do it, I’d only do it with Michael,” reprising his serial killer role on camera.

That said, “If we were to do it, we would have to have a very good reason to do it. It’s a new show. I’m not interested in doing it if it’s just a continuation…. I would want to do Dexter in a new concept and configuration. I want it to feel different.”

RELATED | Showtime Renews Lisa Kudrow’s Web Therapy for Season 4

In other Showtime news:

* The much-anticipated “literary horror” drama Penny Dreadful, which is detailed here and which Nevins touted as “nothing like we’ve ever done before,” has been set for a May 11 premiere. Penned by film vet John Logan and helmed in part by Juan Antonio Bayona (The Orphanage), its cast included Josh Hartnett (The Faculty) and Eva Green (Camelot).

* Nevins does not expect the coming season of Nurse Jackie — premiering April 13 and paired with Californication‘s goodbye run — to be its last. “I think Nurse Jackie has a lot of life in it. I know where they’re ending this season, so I don’t expect this to be the last.” He added that the coming run has a “very different” rhythm that doesn’t tread on old territory.

1. Superhero says:

Do the people at Showtime understand what a spinoff is?

• Dys says:

It isn’t the usual use of a spinoff but Dexter in a new location with a completely or mostly different supporting cast would qualify as a spinoff just like Archie Bunker’s Place was a spinoff of All In The Family.

• David4 says:

All in the Family spun off to Archie Bunker’s Place for a few seasons, so it’s not unheard of.

At least now we understand why they didn’t allow him to die.

2. Ross says:

How about this for a reason to do a Dexter spin off: THE ENDING SUCKED.

3. Tia says:

Hey Matt, can you tell us who’s attending tomorrow’s ABC TCA14 party?

4. I want a spin-off set like 10-12 years later when Harrison starts acting like his Dad, Hannah seeks help and finds-out Dexter is alive…. This is the only spin-off of Dexter, I’m willing to watch (it would have been interesting to see spin-off based on Zack but they killed him)…

• Azerty says:

Yep I’d like to see that too

• sg says:

Other way to go with Harrison that might be interesting would be if he follows in his aunt Deb and grandfather Harry’s footsteps and becomes a cop. A cop who starts investigating all the open cases of suspected and missing serial killers, starting with the Bay Harbor Butcher.

5. Claire says:

If they revisit Dexter in any way, Showtime is officially out of ideas.

6. Meredith says:

They want to turn dexter into a situation comedy about the hardships of lumberjacks. I can’t wait!

7. Steven says:

How about they jest pretend seasons 4-8 never happened and pick up with Rita in the tub and go from there in a different direction.

8. Eric says:

….So basically they are saying a Dexter spin-off will never happen. Michael C. Hall has already stated he is ready to move on from the series and the character of Dexter Morgan. I doubt he will ever reprise his role again. Besides, I personally don’t want it to happen. What made the show is Dexter AND Deb. Nobody can deny that. I can’t picture Dexter Morgan without Debra Morgan. It just doesn’t work. I’m not worried about them doing it because I’m 99% sure they won’t. There is always a possibility that Michael C. Hall will reprise his role, but I doubt it.

9. Henry P. says:

Please don’t create a new show. Give us 6 strong episodes where Dexter is hunted (a la season 2) and then end it properly. The series finale, and the last season in general, was a let down amongst let downs.

Yes, I’m calling for a do-over. Now do it right.

10. Azerty says:

To be honest I didn’t hate the way they ended Dexter, I definitly didn’t want a happy ending and Dexter being miserable, alone and silent was perfect. The problem was the build up, all season Dexter, Debra, Miamia metro and every single character did non sense and Dex was finally ready to move on from killing and Miami to live his happily ever after, and in one episode boom! game changer. I tought it was too rushed. They should have gone darker and deeper instead to get to the same ending.

11. I hated Dexter’s ending because I always wanted Miami Metro to discover who he was in the end and see their reactions, it didn’t matter wheter Dexter escaped or not, I felt Deb’s death was cheap drama and that the whole season didn’t feel like a final season at all.

Homeland ended for me with this season and I’m happy with it, I loved it so far and felt like a complete, even tho sad, story, I don’t need more episodes with the same characters.

12. Matt says:

Is anyone clamoring for a spinoff to Dexter? The show suffered a long slow death and it’s last season was embarrassing. Let it die.

13. Jerry says:

Pretty cool if Harrison became the same as him and the FBI found Dexter was the Bay Harbor Butcher…catch Dexter and as a plea bargain Dexter becomes a consultant helping them find murderers including finding Dexter’s monster son Harrison who is like Dexter with NO CODE!

14. Ziemba says:

Ok spin off idea that would work, Quinn. He knew about dexter from previous seasons. Debra confided in him and if the true dexter fans noticed after the horrible kill of the brain surgeon he stated “you did the right thing” Quinn was and will be a wreck without debra he needs somthing to fill the hole so “tonights the night” with quin. He knows were harrison is and what else. They could do a couple good seasons with that. than add harrison as a serial killer.

15. Pat says:

Dexter jumped the shark after they killed off Rita……love, love, love Michael c Hall and the other cast members……Let Dexter RIP.

16. Amber Smith says:

I want to see a spin off on Jennifer Carpenters Deb Morgan. Find some way to bring her back from the dead. For Dexter and Harrison

17. Raymond Calise says:

Dexter was a phenomenal program cant wait until series reemerges.

18. mojowski says:

‘Dexter’ the show was (is) a synergy of components made up of an amazing cast, writers, location, a very unique conceptual storyline (what a concept- read the books) and NO ONE but Michael C. Hall could play Dexter. To duplicate the originality of the original series would be a challenge. The fan base has preconceive idea’s that may not allow a new idea for a NEW Dexter altogether. That said, Showtime Shorunners and the original writing staff in collaboration with author-creator Jeff Lindsay with all the loose ends- Hanna (a killer that knows Dexter’s secret), Harrison (born in blood) and Dexter (still with his innate propensity to kill), and lots on evil nefarious on the planet that….well just fall through the cracks of justice and need to be taken out-

19. mojowski says:

Everyone has a different opinion- It was a bit melodramatic (Debra’s death- Hurricane Laura sweeping him out to sea, etc.) Showtime chose to let Dexter live because the show was a huge success and cash cow. Don’t kill King Midas. Everyone I spoke with had a different idea about how the show should have concluded- Dexter should have died- been exposed- been caught-gone to Argentina with Harrison and Hanna and lived happily ever after, and so on. Just accept the ending for what it is-