Veronica Mars Spin-Off Update: Find Out Which Character Will Anchor The CW's Web Offshoot

CAPRA  DOHRINGWell that didn’t remain a secret for long.

Mere hours after CW boss Mark Pedowitz announced (mostly vague) plans for a Veronica Mars web-based spin-off series, franchise boss Rob Thomas has revealed which character will headline the digital offshoot.

“It’s a comedy featuring Ryan Hansen attempting to put together a Dick Casablancas spin-off of Veronica Mars,” Thomas shared on Twitter late Wednesday.

VIDEO | Watch the Veronica Mars Movie Trailer

The web series, which will stream on The CW’s digital arm CW Seed, will consist of roughly eight 10-minute episodes. It’s not expected to debut until after the Veronica Mars feature film hits theaters on March 14.

1. ggny says:

So it is Episodes but instead of Matt LeBlanc its Ryan Hansen? Pass

• alistaircrane says:

Agreed. I was psyched for the spinoff just a few hours ago when I thought it was going to be a genuine spinoff. This is just some weird meta bullshyte. I hope Rob Thomas was joking.

2. Kristin says:

I’m really not sure how I feel about this…
    Can’t we just get our girl Kristen Bell back? ;-)

3. Alichat says:

So it’s not really a Veronica Mars spin-off so much as a web series that references Veronica Mars? Hmmm. I had a feeling Hansen would be tied to it since he was with Thomas and Bell when they accepted the award in Las Vegas.

4. aa says:

I thought Rob Thomas was just making a joke?

5. David4 says:

This sounds like crap. I hope it doesn’t get in the way of a Veronica Mars sequel or Netflix season.

6. mac says:

I actually like the idea, loved Dick and Ryan is a capable actor. I’m in

7. Jared says:

Love Ryan Hansen and all the CW web series!

8. Et al says:

Are we sure he wasn’t kidding?

9. CMG says:

The problem with the internet: you can’t tell when someone has their tongue buried firm in cheek.

10. Liz says:

Ryan Hansen is hilarious and he’s been one of the most vocal supporters for a Veronica movie so I’m happy for him. And I’m happy to make space in my life for some Dick. Hahah. Hopefully there will be a Mac cameo or six

11. J says:

Relax people, it’s not gonna mess with anything, and it’ll just give us more fun times to have with Ryan Hansen on the internet. Fun!

12. BookGirl says:

I’m pretty sure Rob Thomas was joking. As in funny, ha ha.

13. Morgan says:

The problem with Dick Casablancas is that he facilitated Veronica’s rape and has never been held accountable for his actions. In fact, he’s glorified as comic relief by Rob Thomas and everyone associated with Veronica Mars. The character is reprehensible.

14. Ashley says:

Ryan is currently attached to Bad Teacher and I can’t imagine would be able to commit to this until he knows of that gets picked up.

In other words, he was making a funny.

• David4 says:

It’s not a show, it’s one episode cut up. They could film all 80 minutes in a week or two break.

• Ashley says:

But we don’t know if his contract (with CBS I think? Can’t recall the network) stipulates he can’t do anything else.

Ultimately I think this was all just a joke, but it would be nice if Thomas could confirm.

• Grant says:

Bad Teacher is being produced by CBS. CBS owns CW. I don’t think they will have a problem with him spending a couple days shooting this.

15. Quinn Mallory says:

Since I enjoyed Ryan Hansen in Party Down and Burning Love, this could be interesting. I’m not sure about the mainstream appeal of this, but anything to bring more attention to the Veronica Mars movie and increase the odd of that turning into a movie (or TV movie) franchise.

16. Jellymoff says:

I think it sounds like fun! The problem with a “real” spinoff is that they would have to hold to some sort of canon and it could impact future projects should the movie do well. This is safe, and if it does OK could lead to other things.

17. charissa29 says:

Please, please, please let the movie do well so we can get Veronica Mars back where she belongs! On tv of course! A 12 episode season would let her continue to do House of Lies which I LOVE, and it would make for a better crafted season. Please, please, please!!!!

• Jana says:

I agree! Veronica Mars needs to be back on TV! The movie [which was spectacular] opens up the PERFECT opportunity to be back the series! What will it take to bring it back????

18. Mike B. says:

Odd choice for an accompanying picture. Remember Tessa Thompson?