Veronica Mars Spin-Off Update: Find Out Which Character Will Anchor The CW's Web Offshoot

CAPRA  DOHRINGWell that didn’t remain a secret for long.

Mere hours after CW boss Mark Pedowitz announced (mostly vague) plans for a Veronica Mars web-based spin-off series, franchise boss Rob Thomas has revealed which character will headline the digital offshoot.

“It’s a comedy featuring Ryan Hansen attempting to put together a Dick Casablancas spin-off of Veronica Mars,” Thomas shared on Twitter late Wednesday.

VIDEO | Watch the Veronica Mars Movie Trailer

The web series, which will stream on The CW’s digital arm CW Seed, will consist of roughly eight 10-minute episodes. It’s not expected to debut until after the Veronica Mars feature film hits theaters on March 14.

Comments (30)

• So it is Episodes but instead of Matt LeBlanc its Ryan Hansen? Pass

Comment by ggny – January 15, 2014 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I was psyched for the spinoff just a few hours ago when I thought it was going to be a genuine spinoff. This is just some weird meta bullshyte. I hope Rob Thomas was joking.

Comment by alistaircrane – January 15, 2014 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really not sure how I feel about this…
    Can’t we just get our girl Kristen Bell back? ;-)

Comment by Kristin – January 15, 2014 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m sure we can, she’s just tied up with House of Cards atm. I’m 100% sure she’ll pop up in a few episodes :D

Comment by mac – January 15, 2014 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • House of Lies.

Comment by Jack E. – January 15, 2014 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well it wouldn’t be a spin-off, it would just be Veronica Mars and I’m sure if that came together, it wouldn’t be on the CW’s website.

Comment by dude – January 16, 2014 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So it’s not really a Veronica Mars spin-off so much as a web series that references Veronica Mars? Hmmm. I had a feeling Hansen would be tied to it since he was with Thomas and Bell when they accepted the award in Las Vegas.

Comment by Alichat – January 15, 2014 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Rob Thomas was just making a joke?

Comment by aa – January 15, 2014 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sounds like crap. I hope it doesn’t get in the way of a Veronica Mars sequel or Netflix season.

Comment by David4 – January 15, 2014 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually like the idea, loved Dick and Ryan is a capable actor. I’m in

Comment by mac – January 15, 2014 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Ryan Hansen and all the CW web series!

Comment by Jared – January 15, 2014 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are we sure he wasn’t kidding?

Comment by Et al – January 15, 2014 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The problem with the internet: you can’t tell when someone has their tongue buried firm in cheek.

Comment by CMG – January 15, 2014 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ryan Hansen is hilarious and he’s been one of the most vocal supporters for a Veronica movie so I’m happy for him. And I’m happy to make space in my life for some Dick. Hahah. Hopefully there will be a Mac cameo or six

Comment by Liz – January 15, 2014 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Relax people, it’s not gonna mess with anything, and it’ll just give us more fun times to have with Ryan Hansen on the internet. Fun!

Comment by J – January 15, 2014 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s a stupid idea and they shouldn’t waste their time making it.

Comment by alistaircrane – January 15, 2014 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There’s nothing wrong with them wasting time making this.
        Just like there’s nothing wrong with me NOT wasting time watching it.

Comment by ZhaneEndrick – January 16, 2014 03:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Interesting…

Comment by Esaul – January 15, 2014 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m pretty sure Rob Thomas was joking. As in funny, ha ha.

Comment by BookGirl – January 15, 2014 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The problem with Dick Casablancas is that he facilitated Veronica’s rape and has never been held accountable for his actions. In fact, he’s glorified as comic relief by Rob Thomas and everyone associated with Veronica Mars. The character is reprehensible.

Comment by Morgan – January 15, 2014 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ryan is currently attached to Bad Teacher and I can’t imagine would be able to commit to this until he knows of that gets picked up.

In other words, he was making a funny.

Comment by Ashley – January 15, 2014 10:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s not a show, it’s one episode cut up. They could film all 80 minutes in a week or two break.

Comment by David4 – January 15, 2014 10:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But we don’t know if his contract (with CBS I think? Can’t recall the network) stipulates he can’t do anything else.

Ultimately I think this was all just a joke, but it would be nice if Thomas could confirm.

Comment by Ashley – January 16, 2014 01:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Bad Teacher is being produced by CBS. CBS owns CW. I don’t think they will have a problem with him spending a couple days shooting this.

Comment by Grant – January 16, 2014 01:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Fair enough with the logistics. But my money is still on it being a joke. Come on Rob, tweet! :p

Comment by Ashley – January 16, 2014 02:47 AM PDT
  • Since I enjoyed Ryan Hansen in Party Down and Burning Love, this could be interesting. I’m not sure about the mainstream appeal of this, but anything to bring more attention to the Veronica Mars movie and increase the odd of that turning into a movie (or TV movie) franchise.

Comment by Quinn Mallory – January 15, 2014 10:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it sounds like fun! The problem with a “real” spinoff is that they would have to hold to some sort of canon and it could impact future projects should the movie do well. This is safe, and if it does OK could lead to other things.

Comment by Jellymoff – January 16, 2014 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please, please, please let the movie do well so we can get Veronica Mars back where she belongs! On tv of course! A 12 episode season would let her continue to do House of Lies which I LOVE, and it would make for a better crafted season. Please, please, please!!!!

Comment by charissa29 – January 18, 2014 12:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! Veronica Mars needs to be back on TV! The movie [which was spectacular] opens up the PERFECT opportunity to be back the series! What will it take to bring it back????

Comment by Jana – April 13, 2014 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Odd choice for an accompanying picture. Remember Tessa Thompson?

Comment by Mike B. – January 28, 2014 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post