The Good Wife Scoop: Kalinda's Story Will Start 'Exploding,' Michael J. Fox Poised to Return

And The Law WonThe Good Wife is finally taking Kalinda off the backburner.

“Kalinda was a little bit adrift in the first half of the year,” exec producer Robert King acknowledged Wednesday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour. “[But] she starts exploding in the second half of the year. Her story starts crystallizing in the back half of the year.”

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What Will Be Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

King added that the ongoing challenge with Kalinda is “sometimes she can’t live in other stories,” but he’s “aware of where the fans’ heads are out” regarding the character’s marginalization.

Regarding the scene in Sunday’s episode that hinted at a rekindling of a romance between Kalinda and Cary, King said, “It’s a version of the hate that Will and Alica have, especially because they’re at [different] firms now. Can they pursue each other? Can they sleep with each other and make that exist? Is there a Dangerous Liaisons aspect to it? What I liked about it is that Kalinda saw a Cary that had balls and was really attracted to that. So Cary’s going to want to live up to that Kalinda idea of who he is. Cary as a character is sweet, too, but he needs to harden himself.”

RELATED | The Good Wife Exclusive: Matthew Goode to Befriend Alicia in Big Recurring Role

Some additional Good tidbits…

* Michael J. Fox will likely reprise his role as Louis Canning later this season. “We’re trying to make that work,” said King. “Because he finished filming [The Michael J. Fox Show], so it looks like we’re going to get a chance to get him back.”

* The EP also shared this fun tidbit: The recent “Thicky Trick” episode was supposed to pit Diane against Florrick Agos, but Christine Baranski was otherwise engaged filming Into The Woods, so Will was plugged in.

1. Liz says:

Fabulous! And the Kings have to be the best show runners working in tv today. They listen to their audience, respect them and actually engage with them. They also balance that listening and giving people what they want with their own creative choices. They know the story they want to tell and are going to do it but they don’t have their heads up their butts about it. Other show runners should take a lesson from them (Teen Wolf, OUAT, Supernatural, etc)

• C says:

Well, except for when they actively lie to their viewers, and don’t have the respect for them to even make the lie be logical or non-obvious.

Case in point: Robert King claimed earlier in the year that the reason there have been no Kalinda/Alicia scenes is because there are structural difficulties due to their being at opposing firms. One, they were at the same firm all of last season and for a good portion of this season, yet they had no scenes together in the last half of last season nor in this season leading up to Alicia’s departure, despite there being a number of obvious opportunities for them to have a scene. (As it happens, at the time he gave the excuse, Alicia had only JUST been fired from LG.) Second, since Alicia and Cary and Robin left, Kalinda’s had scenes with Cary and Robin, and Alicia’s had scenes with Will and Diane and David Lee and even the newbie Irish lawyer. And Alicia’s been back to LG, Kalinda’s driven up to FA, testified at the one board meeting that Alicia “conveniently” wasn’t at, was at the courthouse at the same time as Alicia, and was at Peter’s office.

I mean, come on. We’re two episodes away from it being a full SEASON’S worth of episodes since Julianna Margulies and Archie Panjabi last worked together. That’s so extreme for the relationship that the Kings used to call the core of the show that obviously this is something to do with backstage issues, and I don’t blame the Kings for not wanting to admit that (it wouldn’t be professional), but don’t put out a super-obvious lie either. That’s just disrespectful.

• Olivia says:

What is the deal about Alicia not having scenes with Kalinda? Is the rumor that Julianna M doesn’t want to share scenes with Archie P? Why? Alicia hasn’t had a good friend since. Yes, I know Kalinda slept with Peter. How can Alicia forgive him but not Kalinda?

• Paul says:

There has been talk of some major drama between the two actresses. Leaks from the set seem to point to Julianna Margulies being the one who refuses to work with her. She had an interview last year where she came off specifically hostile to the idea of Kalinda and Alicia having any sort of relationship ever again. It’s honestly sad and really holds back Kalinda’s potential as an integral character to the series.

• Rachel says:

I’ve read that too in several sources. Apparently Julianna Margulies is a bit of a drama queen diva who doesn’t like another pretty young actress stealing any of her spotlight.

2. choco says:

I haven’t been loving the new cop and the shady lawyer, but these writers are amazing so I’m confident it will be an amazing season.

3. Beth says:

This doesn’t really line up with TVLine’s prediction a few months ago, that Kalinda would be written out by February sweeps…

4. Lucy says:

So does it mean that Cary’s NEW love interest is Kalinda??? Again??? Really? Sigh!
    And let me know, if Cary needs to harden himself…what does Kalinda need to do? Because she has some really serious issues too.
    But after 5 years Cary still needs to prove he’s worth her, strong enough for her and that he has balls (two years at SA, handling his father, Nick, Blake, starting his own firm and facing several Kalinda’s attempts of screwing him over weren’t enough to prove it apparently).
    And is Robert King aware of the fact that Cary’s storyline in the first half of the season was just “being there”?

• Dee says:

You make some good points. I like Cary & Kalinda together in scenes because they have great chemistry. I really liked this last episode. I do think, however, that Cary should have other love interests besides Kalinda. In a show full of great characters Cary is my favorite. Anything to give Cary more screentime and development is great by me.

• Lucy says:

Forget about Cary’s development. That storyline will be all about Kalinda. Cary will be just a tile of her “explosive” storyline.
        But apparently his only chance to get a storyline is to be involved with Kalinda again because the fact that he’s a name partner in his own firm is not enough to give him his own storyline.
        Gosh, we didn’t get one single storyline which was really about him. Florrick&Agos became Will vs Alicia storyline. And it’s a joke which will end like a joke. If Josh Charles will sign another contract we will have a merge between the two firms. Peter’s vote fraud will hurt FA and Will’s new crazy ambition will hurt L&G so the two firms will be “forced” to merge. And bet who will get the short end of the stick in terms of storyline and screentime during the process? The usual one.
        Besides being the half part of FA, Matt Czuchry got scanty scripts and material this year. That’s the reason why, even if talented, after 5 years, he is still underused, understated, and underappreciated. That’s in a show which is acclaimed for the writing but which, unexplainably, just rarely remember to write something worthy for him.

• abz says:

While I agree that Cary is a little underused at times, the show is called The Good “Wife”. Cary will always be a supporting character and that will likely never change. He isn’t a lead and will never be given a storyline equal in screen time to that of someone like Alicia because Alicia will always be front of centre no matter how much someone may like other supporting characters. That’s just the reality of the show. It’s about her and her life. Yes, they share a firm together now and hopefully that may lead to more interactions between them in the future, but characters like Will and Peter get a lot more screen time because they are important people in her life and affect her a lot. I personally would rather have them cut back on Peter/Eli/Marilyn time and devote it to Kalinda and Cary, but Peter is still a significant part of Alicia’s life so I understand the need for him. I just don’t think his storyline is needed in every episode.

• Lucy says:

Nobody was saying that he should be given the same amount of screentime of Alicia. What we’re asking here it’s: could Cary FINALLY get a storyline equal in terms of screen time and scripts to that of other supporting characters? And could Matt Czuchry get decent scripts?
            Especially now, that he is heavily linked to Alicia and that he’s also quite relevant in her life too. I’d say that he should be more relevant in her “professional” life than Will and Peter, but writers keep focusing on Alicia’s love life even when they could take other and NEW directions. Said that other characters like Eli, Diane or Kalinda, who right now are not so involved in Alicia’s life always have their chances to get their own storylines. Come on, they even planned an episode “about” Diane.
            And I don’t know if it’s needed but the Eli/Marilyn/Peter stuff is boring.

“On Zap2it, I read an interview with the Kings where they said they plan to start moving away from the current court room battles between LG/FA. One week may have an FA case front and centre and another week may be LG. So maybe that’s something to look forward to in terms of more Cary screen time.”

Nah. One week Will first chair. Another week Alicia first chair.

• Jean M says:

I am so tired of these courtroom battles, I’m fast forwarding through them. I loved this show but I can only take so much of this crap.

• abz says:

I’m personally enjoying the battles, It hasn’t reached Cary vs. L&G level yet, where for like two seasons it was basically Cary vs. Alicia/Diane/Will nonstop. These battles have only been going on for a few episodes and I’ve found most of them very entertaining. But it seems like most people who feel like you might get their wish, as it seems like they will start moving away from the current LG/FA battles. I’m excited for that to happen and eager to see them facing off against different lawyers once again.
            Side note: I’ve never understood how people say they fast-forward scenes of episodes they hate on shows they watch. What’s the point in watching the episode then if you’re just gonna end up missing things that may be a part of the episode storyline? It just makes no sense, well, to me at least.

• b says:

Cary isn’t underused sometimes. He’s underused all the time. And the sad thing is there is so much potential for him to be a phenomenal, dynamic character. But no, Robert and Michelle King don’t want that. Any progress (I can’t even classify it as development) with his character always somehow revolves around Kalinda and to a lesser degree, Alicia. It’s too much for them to let him stand on his own. Forming a new law firm was his idea but he hasn’t had a single case of his own, no internal struggle that challenges his character, no rival, no nothing. Everything has been focused on this quickly-becoming-juvenile back and forth between Alicia and Will. I understand that Alicia is the main character. I get the show is called The Good Wife. But what you need to understand is that another component to a successful show is having a well-balanced, strong, and developed supporting cast. A lot of the supporting cast members do not get the air time they should in meaningful ways (for example, Diane, Kalinda, Cary, and even Eli isn’t what he used to be, not since Season 2). Even though Alicia is the driving force for the show because she is the main character, this does not mean the supporting cast should suffer and amount to nothing more than one-dimensional characters.

• abz says:

I don’t think the whole supporting cast is suffering. Diane has had her fair share of storylines these past two seasons. Bankruptcy, judgeship, her relationship with Kurt, conflict with Will, etc. Eli too has been featured heavily with the Governorship election, federal investigation, wife’s campaign, conflict with Amy Sedaris, etc.
            Cary was not underused all of the time. He was featured a great deal during the first three seasons, and only recently since partway through last season has been somewhat underused, in my opinion. But to be honest, I really don’t think it has affected the show, for me at least. I still find it as enjoyable week after week as when he was heavily featured the first couple of seasons and I think the other characters are interesting enough to keep the show great. More Cary screen time would just be a bonus, but I’m pretty okay with the amount he’s getting. Nothing against Matt Czuchry. Now, Kalinda on the other hand, I definitely would like to see more of.

5. Mareesa says:

So no more Derective Jenna/Jordana Spiro??? I hope this isn’t the case

6. Steven says:

The show really is better than ever this season. It truly deserves another season.

7. C says:

Hmm…somehow this doesn’t comfort me. It should, but it doesn’t. The Kings haven’t really known what to do with K since the A/K bubble burst at the end of S2 and I’m not really convinced that’s going to change now. There have been plenty of opportunities to weave K into the greater narrative and they’ve avoided all of them at every possible turn ever since the husband. I suspect it’s because the most obvious route would require interaction with Alicia and they’ve gone to great pains to intentionally keep those two characters apart for the better part of a full season (which is sort of beyond me). I mean how likely is it that they would never ever run into each other? Everyone else at the two firms can’t seem to avoid it, but these two are never in contact or conflict at all? The Kings have talked a big game with Kalinda in the past and they’ve rarely come through so I can’t quite bring myself to hope…but if they do, then AMEN!

8. Olivia says:

I’m happy to see more of Kalinda, no matter the story. But I thought Cary was getting together with Robyn. Wasn’t that a recent Ausiello spoiler?

9. ChicagoDan says:

“[Cary] needs to harden himself.” Perhaps, that was the problem all along. No double entendre there!

10. Jan says:

I don’t like that I can’t trust Kalinda any more and the idea of her and Cary getting together would REALLY make that hard since I’m only beginning to trust HIM. And the idea of him needing to be less “sweet” doesn’t thrill me – He’s been a jerk almost since the show began and he’s only recently been somebody I could like. I wish they’d get rid of the new lawyer; he seems to be excess baggage. And the things he does are childish and don’t seem to fit the “dignity” of the show.

• abz says:

Cary has always been a pretty nice and sweet guy. He’s just been wronged by many people. L&G fired him in favor of Alicia, when he was pulling in greater billable hours and bringing in more money to the firm than she did (she got lucky with landing Eli as a client). He was offered partnership by L&G and then it was taken away and Alicia got it. Kalinda stabbed him in the back by ratting to Will when she was too contemplating jumping ship as well. I don’t see where you’re getting this idea that he’s been a jerk since the show began. He was a bit competitive in the first season, but not in a mean way. In a fun and likable way.

• apvox1 says:

Agree. I like Cary too, even better as an ally to Alicia.

• Rachel says:

Exactly right – Cary has always been pretty much a good guy. The chemistry between him and Kalinda is one of the key reasons I watch this show so I’m thrilled their storylines will intertwine again.

• Susan says:

I totally agree with everything Jan said above. And Kalinda and Alicia need to have scenes together; their developing friendship was one of the best parts of the show. I don’t ever want to see Kalinda’s crazy (ex?)husband again, and I’m kind of tired of Kalinda hooking up with every female who comes along, then flitting back to Cary. I’m sick to death of how crazy-vindictive and childish Will has become…he’s acting like he’s five ALL the time. BUT ABOVE ALL ELSE, RESPECT YOUR VIEWERS (and consider that many of us record the show and end up missing half of it every week) BY HAVING THIS SHOW START ON TIME EVERY TIME! How crazy is the network to keep messing with the time slot of one of the best shows it’s ever had?

• Biya6895 says:

Agreed that it would be nice if they could start the show on time but with the football season, the show is going to start late. I always record at least the next show after that so I get the full episode. It might be a good thing to remember until football season is over.

• Susan says:

Honestly, I don’t give a rat’s patootie if it’s EVER football season. When it’s not football, it’s “The (non) Amazing Race,” that throws Sunday night TV out of whack. Always one or the other, and why on earth can’t the stupid race show be made to stick to its own time slot?

Since the Sunday line up is one of my faves (60 Minutes, The Good Wife, and The Mentalist, all on one channel, and all of which are delayed to no particular time by football and The un-Amazing Race, I can always be sure I’m going to miss part of something, and I have to record everything clear through the 10 PM News.

The network needs to return the real winner, The Good Wife, back to its original weeknight timeslot, so the viewers always know where and when to find it and can count on it getting recorded in full, or being able to watch it clear through at a reliable time.

I still feel like it shows an immense disregard for their audience to jack with such a popular show and make the viewers hunt it down and hope not to miss it because of the never-predictable, extremely erratic Sunday night timeslot. PLEASE put The Good Wife back to its original, predictable weeknight timeslot!

11. Douglas from Brazil says:

Fox already finished filming?I thought they’d finish filming in March/April

12. abz says:

Glad to see Kalinda getting some more screen time. I really wish they’d rekindle the Kalinda/Alicia friendship. I really miss it.

13. Lena says:

I fast forward all Kalinda scenes. Happy about the possibility of Fox returning. He is wonderful!

14. Tav says:

This is all very well and good but the Kings consistently talk out of both sides of their mouths and if they really wanted to incorporate Kalinda into the larger story they COULD and WOULD do it by lifting that preposterous ban on Kalinda/Alicia scenes.
    Also if they want to sell the idea that they actually give a damn about Kalinda they should tell whoever runs their instagram account to STFU.

15. Dyan Moore says:

Isn’t Kalinda bi-sexual?

16. aaron says:

This news really excites me. Though what I’m really looking forward to is a scene between Alicia and Kalinda. If I remember right, they haven’t shared a scene all season, so I’m anxious to see where their friendship is at. Kalinda felt as shocked as anyone when she found out Alicia was leaving the firm, but then she still helped Eli investigate Marylin for Alicia’s sake. I’d like to see them try to maintain their friendship even though they dont work with each other anymore.

17. GoT Snow says:

Personally, I love the Kalinda/Cary stuff. He’s really the only character I’ve ever liked with her in a romantic way. Opposites attract and all that. And yea, this season has been off the charts levels of awesome. Too bad there doesn’t seem to be any way for Alicia and Will to ever come back from this together. Hopefully I’m wrong though.

18. Amanda says:

I think that Kalida’s big story is related to her husband. He just disappeared, someone (maybe the police) will ask around about him, and I think she killed him to protect Alicia. Is going to be interesting, if I’m right.

19. abz says:

If they cut back on the Peter/Governor/Marilyn/Eli storyline, I think they’d find a lot more time to devote to characters like Cary and Kalinda that are particularly more interesting.. There is no need to see the election storyline every week. Every other or every 2-3 episodes is fine.

20. M. A. Knut says:

Would the two marjor partners in a law firm actually have been in court with the cocaine smuggling storyline? Maybe if the clients had been celebrities. This was just an attempt to have the WIll and Alicia characters at odds again. Not believable. I’m getting tired of this conflict and am beginning to think that splitting this off was not a good idea. Big giant law firm against small insignificant law firm? If I were a partner, I would have gotten rid of Will for such pettiness. Where can this storyline go from here? Stupid court fight after stupid court fight?

21. grace2552 says:

Look. This has been the best season TGW has ever done, in spite of the fact that Kalinda “was a little adrift” (aka was criminally neglected by the writing staff). HOWEVER, if they go the Dangerous Liasons route with Cary and Kalinda, I may just have to throw in the towel, best season ever or not. Kalinda is a complicated, nuanced character, not some slimy, vindictive seductress. The f— is he playing at? Dangerous Liasons…

22. Babygate says:

What happened to the cop Kalinda was hooking up with? She and Cary do not work, period. He’s too vanilla for her. She’s edgy, mysterious, independent and a total hard a**. He’s like a choir boy. Please, no… And as far as chemistry, there isn’t any between these two…

• Dee says:

Kalinda told her it’s best they cool it, she doesn’t want to see her anymore because the cop tells Damian everything.

They should bring back FBI Lana Delaney for Kalinda.

23. Carolyn says:

I hope there’s no truth to the fact that Julianna Margulies no longer wants to work with Archie Panjabi! That would be so disappointing to me because their chemistry the first two seasons was palpable, and I agree that since Alicia could forgive Peter, why not Kalinda? It would be so childish for two great actresses not to share their talents with the audience! I refuse to believe that an actress at the level of Julianna Margulies could ever stoop to jealousy. I’ve always admired her quality of acting as far back as ER and I would hate to think that she would detract from Archie’s talent in the role of Kalinda, Come on, Robert and Michelle King, find a way to bring these two together! Julianna just doesn’t strike me as a diva when it comes to her interviews esp. the one recently with Ellen DeGeneres! She seems like a wonderful person!

24. Ridders says:

I absolutely love the idea of Cary and Kalinda being together, I think their chemistry is unbelievable and they know each other so well. It’s sad that Kalinda hasn’t been a dominant character in the first half of this season and hopefully we’ll see more of her, especially with Alicia (I loved their friendship). It definitely surprises me that Alicia forgave Peter but hasn’t properly talked to Kalinda since.
    I feel like Kalinda and Cary bring out the best out in each other and also Kalinda seems to let her guard down a bit when she’s around Cary which i think is great and interesting and makes their scenes more intimate. Also I hope that Kalinda really falls for Cary or at least shows her vulnerability.

25. Vic says:

Kalinda is the true star of the show. She needs more time on camera. Alicia is good, but Kalinda outshines her.