CW Boss Talks Inevitable Supernatural Renewal, Breaking Pointe Cancellation

Supernatural Season 9 SpoilersSupernatural will outlive us all.

The veteran CW series appears poised to return for Season 10 — and possibly beyond, network president Mark Pedowitz told reporters Wednesday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour.

“As a fan of the show, who’s seen every episode, as long as I’m here and those [ratings] still hold, God bless them,” said Pedowitz. “They can go as long as they want.”

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Returning? What’s Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

After the session, Pedowitz revealed that he expects to receive the script for the Supernatural spin-off backdoor pilot later this week.

Other takeaways from The CW’s exec session:

* The ballet-set reality series Breaking Pointe will not return. “It did not do enough on air to keep it going,” said Pedowitz.

* The network has acquired the four-hour miniseries Labyrinth, starring John Hurt, Sebastian Stan, Jessica Brown-Findlay and Tom Felton.

* The CW will debut the reality competition shows Barber Battle, hosted by Cedric the Entertainer, and the magic-focused Penn & Teller: Fool Us, later this year.

1. Teag says:

Renew Arrow for season 3 and 4!

• Jon says:

If they do that the gotta renew Supernatural for season 10 and 11, hahaha

• Chris says:

There is a good chance Arrow will get renewed. But, as to SN? I think 1 more SE would be good to put closer on all storylines.
        A show should never push their luck by trying to keep going after a certain point. It is better o go out while they are still on top.

• Raúl says:

Fair enough. Still, even if Season 10 would be the last one, the mythology of that show is so wonderful I could totally imagine it if more than one spin-off could be developed that would star other characters with different perspectives. For example, I would totally watch a spin-off that would star Charlie and Dorothy in Oz and they could explore the Fairy realm properly which have so much potential but never really exploited. Or maybe one that could star Samuel Colt back in the old west. Or with Men of Letters in their prime. Heck, a prequel with Gabriel and the other pagans would be brilliant as well.

Frankly the whole Chicago spin-off doesn’t really gets me interested but here is to hope it won’t be the last spin-off!

• Matthew says:

true but look at doctor who it has been around for at least 50 years .. look at mash went on for many seasons. look at simpsons. the list can on and on. SN can continue for forever and still be good. with what it is based on there is an infinite possibilities kinda thing for storylines and so forth

• stephen graham says:

no way could go on more than one more season i think anyway

• Daisy says:

-As long as CASS is in the show I’ll never stop watching Supernatural;
        :) CASS IS MY FAVORITE CHARACTER!!! :) Especially as a MAIN CHARACTER!!! :)
        So as long as Cass in in the show I’ll still watch till the end.
        :) BEST CHARACTER EVER!!!!! :)

2. I Heart Damon Salvatore says:

Hmm…I wonder if Labyrinth is going to be a remake of the old Bowie film? I loved that as a kid!

• I Heart Damon Salvatore says:

Ah, darn. It’s not. Google is your friend, I Heart….

• Jon says:

Affraid not, it’s an adaption of Kate Mosse’s 2005 book

• Katie T says:

Nope it isn’t. It’s set in the present day and something like the 1500s and starts around an archaeological dig. It’s about a woman who’s sort of tied to a girl in the past. It aired here in the UK last year as a two part show. Personally I found it too slow and actually found it a let down really. I’m surprised it’s The CW that’s picked it up and not another network and it’s not really a CW type of show

• Dr. M says:

Nope. It’s from 2012 and not very good. When PBS and BBC America pass on something…

3. side3 says:

A Supernatural built around the character Garth would be cool.

4. Brett says:

Breaking Pointe was awesome :( I am crushed it is not returning :(

• Jacqi says:

I was looking forward to watching it during the summer. Very sad its not coming back. Why must the CW cancel all my favorite shows. Ugh!

• Esther says:

I to am sorry that Breaking pointe is not returning. It was the highlight of my summer viewing. I guess I will just have to watch the reruns.

• heartofmaui says:

I will miss Season 3, too, but reality is that cast gave their all and deserve privacy to live their lives without cameras following them everywhere. Perhaps another dance company is up for the challenge. Thanks CW for hosting and for honoring the reality of need for privacy!

5. Boiler says:

Not much info from the CW

6. Carla Krae says:

Shame about Breaking Pointe. It was hard to watch Chris and Christina’s marriage implode last season, though.

7. Et al says:

Did he happen to say anything about Capture? I loved that little show.

8. Supernatural should at least get 13 seasons. :D

• Jon says:

I think they will get at least 12. It depends on Carver, Singer, the actors, the writers, the crew. The also may end the show on the 10th season.

9. Dee says:

Well, its up to the guys now. If they want to stick around for more seasons, then, fantastic for us brother fans :)

I liked Breaking Pointe as well. It was interesting to see all the behind-the-scenes stuff of how a production is put together.

10. Vic says:

Can Sebastian Stan just go back to OUAT?

11. Scotty says:

And THIS is American Haircutting… My God, who dreamed this one up? Barber battle… What next? Oh oh oh I know… Bath Battle… Who can wash their armpits the fastest and get the most lather from their shampoo!

12. In other words, Supernatural will be around until either a) it’s ratings start to tank, or b) (more likely) Jared & Jensen get sick of it and decided that they want to end it.

13. Z Mendoza says:

what? all i read was “Supernatural blah blah supernatural blah blah blah supernatural.”

• alex jones says:

don’t see what the problem is, not like supernatural is the only show that’s gone on a really long time, there’s also CSI, NCIS, grey’s anatomy, no one is calling for those shows to end.

14. no more says:

Supernatural needs to take a page from the Justified playbook and know when to bow out gracefully.

15. Mary says:

While I haven’t seen every episode like Mark Pedowitz, I do enjoy Supernatural. I’m amazed they still have been able to incorporate new story ideas so late in the game while still keeping most of the original actors, especially both leads, on the show. That being said, I think it should end after 10 seasons. I’d rather it leave while still popular than end up as one of those shows that people can’t believe or they actually forget is still on the air.

• Daisy says:

I think it should go as long as possible as long as the main characters (Sam, Dean, and my favorite Cass) say main characters. Then the show will never get boring or old. Anyways there are a lot of fans.

• Jon says:

I know what you mean, but for that to happen the show would be near its 20th season and that’s not gonna happen. The farthest they would get is 12 to 14 season at most.

16. Cassie says:

I kind of liked Breaking Pointe but the drama on there was too manufactured/re-staged. There’s plenty of drama inherent to the professional ballet world (e.g. casting) that you don’t need to keep focusing on romantic relationships or silly things like Beckanne and Zach fighting over Beckanne’s boyfriend.

For a better show about professional dancers, see The Secret Lives of Dancers which features the Royal New Zealand Ballet. There’s still some drama but it isn’t shoved into your face like on Breaking Pointe. And they show more dancing as well. All within a ~24 min episode, instead of a 44-min episode like Breaking Pointe. How ironic.

• big cheddar says:

AGREED! I loved the dance focused stuff, but the relationship parts of the show were something out if a bad US novel. The only interesting relationship on the show (Chris & Christian’s) just fell apart with no real reason.

17. Dan says:

What did Pedowitz say about “The Carrie Diaries”??

18. Ella says:

I’m torn with Supernatural. On one hand, I love it and never want it to end. On the other, I don’t think it ever fully recovered from seasons 6 and 7 and sometimes the inconsistencies and character assassinations are just too much to bear. I miss when Dean wasn’t a big ball of self-righteous pain and self-loathing, and Team Free Will actually trusted each other implicitly. It seems to always be Dean + Sam vs Cas, or Dean + Cas vs Sam, or Sam + Cas vs Dean. If they’re going to keep killing characters and relationships, I’d rather they didn’t go on. If things start looking up, I really do love the show and the cast enough for it to go on forever.

• Dee says:

That’s pretty much my feelings on it too! I love the show but I want it to be good. I want quality and quantity with the show.

• Sharon says:

I’ve loved Supernatural from the beginning, but this last episode was actually the first time I was bored. Been there, done that, tired of the angst and separation. It was the first time I actually thought it’s time to end this, sadly

19. Carrie says:

I’d watch Sam and Dean in the nursing home, so that’s fine with me.

20. sl says:

Yeah for Supernatural. I Hope it continues for more seasons and loving this season especially last night’s episode. The crew all does a fabulous job with the show no matter its budget. I am so glad it is doing well on Tuesday and don’t move it. It seems to be a good pairing for almost any show. Eric did a great job creating the show and casting love Jensen and Jared and the impala. Love all the special characters too.
    Even after nine seasons I am still a die hard Supernatural fan. I want more music though..
    Please renew Hart of Dixie and Beauty and the Beast too love those shows too.

• Daisy says:

I AGREE, well about Supernatural!!! :) But my favorite, my most favorite is CASS!!! I think he’s the best character on this great show!!! :) :) :)
      As long as Cass is in the show I will always watch this show till the end.

21. sl says:

I was hoping the supernatural spin ofc would be based on a character or characters already ingrained in the show whether dead or alive like ghost facers or those in heaven trying to work or help against Megatron without the angels, I kind of like Charlie and think an Oz thing would be interesting. I don’t think Supernatural natural is boring and like this season and like the actor playing Galedreel. I think Dean’s self loathing can be contributed to his time in help and his righteous and starting to torture others in Help broke the first seal. I would agree I would like to see a solid unit of Cas, Dean and Sam again and not having everything happen to Sam and have Dean try and save the day or clean up the messes. I do miss the case of the week. I think this season is great and last night’s episode took the cake especially the scene with a galadreel possessed Sam, Dean, Cas and Crowley. I liked Crowley campaigning for king. I thought that was funny and original. Crowley is wanting human blood and can see the writers handle it as an addiction. Supernatural is great because they have an arc and concludes it in a timely fashion but opens a new arc to flow into the next season. They have done this since the first season and has worked beautifully for the most part. We as die hard fans pay attention so yes we do see inconsistencies and differences but in my opinion none overtly big that damages the show or story. Loving the show and will keep watching for as long as they want. There must be a reversible to Metatrons spell and Kevin would have found it otherwise why would Megatron see Kevinas a threat and want the tablets back. I like the little tidbit we learned about galedreel and interesting how Cas did not recognize him by sight like others did only by name. Curious why Galedreel knew who Cas was right away and seemed to harbor deep hatred and resentment towards Cas. The actors are doing a superb job. I liked the scenes with Crowley the Angel and Sam all in Sam’s head. I am glad Cat is there to help heal Sam in stages. I was suspicious of Galedreel when he kept being vague and dragging his feet when asked if he was healing himself and Sam. It makes me wonder if the Angel was really injured in the first place or had some other plan all along.

22. Patrick Maloney says:

Please give Supernatural one season and than end it so that it can end like its brother in arms, Smallville

• Jon says:

No, because Jensen needs to tell Tom Welling to suck it! hahaha

• Mikael says:

I was just going to say that! I remember Jensen saying that he wanted the show to go at least 11 seasons so he could tell Tom Welling that. HAHAHA. And I think Supernatural can go on longer.

23. karadin says:

I may become aggravated at the uneven writing and the lack of attention to canon, but Supernatural still has some juice in the tank of the ol’ Impala, great old school scripted horror/drama, some interesting ideas laced with comedy,and you can’t beat the acting of the leads Jensen Ackles, Jared Padalecki, Misha Collins (and Mark Sheppard) I’ll always tune in to support the boys.

24. Jill says:

I loved Breaking Pointe!

25. Boiler says:

It would be a shame if Hart of Dixie not back as it is just a fun show to watch. If it doesn’t get better Friday ratings where not as much competition I guess I could understand cancelling

26. Taryn says:

Geeze I’m starting to think Supernatural will live forever isn’t it the lone survivor from when the network was better and called the WB in like 2005?

27. spn says:

i want that supernatural may go on,i t should live 4ever….and if it will nt than jensen n jared can make another nw show on cw…or supernatural cn also be a movie

28. b says:

The show will get a 10th season which is/was the plan Carver set up when he became showrunner if it goes another year or years hopefully they come up with a new game plan.

29. Dubhe says:

I really liked Labyrinth, for once a good miniseries of a book. But what’s it doing on CW?

30. Caroline says:

I hope Supernatural stays on air for years to come! The networks need to take note – if you create a QUALITY show with a wonderful cast and a great mythology people will watch! It can be niche as long as it’s good and you give it the right time slot! You also need to respect the opinion of the fans and appreciate their dedication and Supernatural does that better than any other show on television!

31. Andie says:

Darn it, I liked Breaking Pointe. I was hoping for another season this summer.

32. John says:

Well, I firstly, I’d like to say that I’ve never seen Breaking Pointe. But fans of the show have my sympathies, as it sounds interesting. I’ve always admired the military-esque discipline ballet dancers put themselves through. And the beauty of the art itself.

Far as Supernatural is concerned, I agree, its potential is limitless. As the possibilities for character development for Sam and Dean still is. I mean, what would these guys be like another 6 years down the line?!..Maybe one of them actually gets to father a kid. Maybe Cas does, for that matter! How would it all unfold? What would be the toll? The potential for this show is fantastic. And considering we’re 9 seasons in – damn, that’s reeeally saying something.

Here’s to all involved in bringing this show to us – thank you! Love you guys n’ gals. Keep the goodness coming. We’ll keep on watching.

33. John says:

As an additional comment I should verrrrrrrry much like to see the driving rock return. Doooooooooooooooooodes!…I know it may cost, but c’mon. We’ve been missing the \m/ a bit in season 9….(sure I’m not the only one lol). One.

34. nark says:

Can some one me how to talk to the cw show I want to ask y no god son on the show jeus. He can b on there right some one email me

35. Sanda says:

Breaking Pointe was the only show I watched on CW. So sick that it is not being renewed. SICK!

36. Maggie says:

Extremely disappointed to hear “Breaking Pointe” will not return!!! I really enjoyed it!

37. Carrie says:

I am disappointed that Breaking Pointe will not be renewed. I thought it was much more real & entertaining than say….Dancing w the Stars, that just annoys me.