How I Met Your Mother Series Finale Title Revealed! Plus – Scoop on the Kids' Names

How I Met Your Mother Ted Proposes The MotherHow I Met Your Mother is about to solve a longstanding mystery.

RELATED | Farewell, How I Met Your Mother: The Sitcom’s Top 10 Song Moments

In next Monday’s episode of the departing CBS comedy, viewers will finally learn the names of Ted and The Mother’s son and daughter (played by David Henrie and Lyndsy Fonseca, respectively).

HIMYM co-creator Craig Thomas confirmed the forthcoming reveal late Wednesday at a farewell Q&A/reception on the show’s set for members of the Television Critics Association.

RELATED | Dear HIMYM — Please Answer These 15 Burning Questions!

Thomas also shared that the title of March 31 series finale is “Last Forever,” and added three more names to the swan song season’s alumni parade: Rachel Bilson, Sarah Chalke and Lucy Hale (all of whom will appear in upcoming episodes).

1. Mugs says:

I’m hoping for Thing One and Thing Two

• +1 says:

Actually, I’m hoping for Luke and Leia. I’m glad Lucy is coming back (as I loved seeing Nora in the last episode) but I was hoping for a PLL reunion along with Ashley Benson. I’m still enjoying this season. Great so far.

2. Stacy says:

At this point, does anyone still care?

• Irene says:

I do. Despite it’s ups and downs, I still love the show no matter what. And I’m really gonna miss it dearly when it ends. So why even bother to comment if you, yourself, don’t even care?

• Jasmine says:

I binge watched the first 8 seasons in 2 weeks and im already in tears knowing this show is gonna end. And you are right. Whom ever that person was doesn’t even need to comment if you don’t care.

• Banjo says:

I do too. Go away, if you don’t care. Shoo!

• brockcheek says:

I’m loving this final season! It reminds me of The Offices final season…. One for the longtime fans. I can’t wait to see how it ends!

• Brooke says:

I do. This season has not been good overall, but it has had some wonderful moments (namely those with The Mother and the rhyming episode was clever) and I still care about how a show I loved for nearly a decade ends.

• debtiffany says:

I agree, they are dragging out this wedding so much, it could have been done in one episode. We don’t even watch it any more.

• Art says:

Totally agree. This show got very lame and should have ended 3 years ago, much like how the Office went way too long. Just trying to milk a franchise for as long as they can. Screw Ted Mosby at this point, go away!

• SouthernBelle says:

I’m surprised so many people feel that way. I think it’s still hilarious.

• Carl says:

That’s because these nay sayers have no taste, humor, or clue. This show, even at it’s worst, is still way funnier than most of the new shows out there now.

• mwick says:

They said at the beginning of the season that this was going to happen so this shouldn’t be a shock and I can’t believe why anyone would make a comment like this at this time since it was known going in. And if you didn’t know at the beginning of the season, remember that “Google is your friend”…

• Carl says:

Hell, yeah! It is still extremely funny and amazingly awesome, which is more than I can say for those wastes of spaces Family Guy and The Millers. I will miss HIMYM when it does leave the airways, I will be crying for days, but thank god for 2 Broke Girls and The Big Bang Theory!

• John 1138 says:

Barely, somewhat depending on whether that last episode is a trend or not…. Having The Mother in that photo is a bit of a cruel irony given her minimal screen time.

• yes,some of us do,so quit being a jerk,and kindly move on.

3. Lynn says:

If these kids aren’t named Luke and Leia, I’m going to be disappointed. LOL. And I love the series finale title!

4. Jay says:

I have a bad feeling this all ends with a funeral.
    I hope I am wrong and it’s more like a surprise birthday party or something like that.

5. Lynn says:

Are we ending the series with a funeral??? Is the “mother” going to die???

• JLPLSSS says:

This is what I’ve been thinking. There have been some clues over the years.

• bluefairy says:

It’s a lighthearted comedy for god’s sake. There’s no way it will end tragically. This is an American sitcom, not a European experimental film. They have a format they need to respect and that includes a happy ending. What “clues” are you talking about and where did you get them?

• Kate says:

You know what else was a lighthearted comedy? Roseanne. Remember how that ended? I think it would be quite a touching way to end it and it would be the last episode, why not end it somewhat tragically, but ultimately uplifting because it is a touching story to their kids?

• Craig Hansen says:

You have a point. I realized a while ago that (at least at times) the kids seem to be a bit formally dressed…

• Meg says:

If I remember correctly the boy is in a hoodie, green polo/t-shirt and jeans, and the girl is in a pink long-sleeved Henley and tan pants. That’s not exactly “formal.”

• Bob says:

And keep in mind, all of the scenes of the kids at the beginning of some episodes were all filmed before the series started airing eight years ago. The two look nothing like they did back then.

• Lauren says:

I hope not!! I always thought that Ted was telling his kids the full story because of what he said to his parents in the episode they tell him they’re getting divorced.He asks his dad how they met and his dad just says “in a bar”.So Ted announces that when he has kids he’s gonna tell them the whole story. He’s gonna tell them everything. Also, the kids are super impatient at the beginning and don’t we hear the mothers voice in one of the flash forwards?

• Thilia says:

She may eventually die, but considering next week she tells her side of the story, I doubt it.

6. shay says:

The title reminds le Te’s speech with the 45 extra days so I wonder if it’s his love who will last forever or maybe it’s just their (the group) friendship

7. Jerry says:

I’m not getting a funeral vibe from this news (unless there is more to it somewhere else), but I’ve felt that the Mother is dead when Ted starts to tell the story since that episode last year where he was upset he didn’t meet her 45 days earlier. I know Ted is a romantic sap but I don’t see him generally being upset that he didn’t have 45 extra days with her if she was alive

• DL says:

Has anyone who theorizes that the Mother is dead considered, if that’s the case, how tasteless and horrible it would be for Ted to relate this long and rambling story filled with ex-girlfriends and Stinson sexual conquests to his grieving children? And as for the kids, they just look bored and exasperated to me, not upset. Also, we know the Mother was around recently enough to take the vacation detour and see the smoke ring blowing goat. I just don’t buy this theory.

• Jerry says:

This is Ted, he may want to not leave out any details to make sure his kids get the full story. And really half of what goes on shouldn’t be told to his kids in the first place, alive mother or not.

• Ann says:

I’ve theorized that the Mother was dead for many years now. The last title almost confirms it for me. But in the present world where Future Ted is telling the story, the Mother could have been dead for several years and heard this story and variations of it several times already, which is why they may seemed bored….teen! We do know that he has told this story at least once before, but a short version. This was mentioned in an episode in Season 3, I think.

• brian says:

I get what ur saying Jerry but yoi gotta remember this about meeting Teds soul mate not just the ladt girl he dated and happen to work out, were talking about the person hes meant to be with. Its a much stronger bond and we only have a short time on this earth. And he wants to spend as much time as possible with her. So I dont think it will end with a death

8. Matthew Weber says:

I hope this show starts to move along a little more. I mean they have a lot to cover before the end, and this last episode didn’t help all that much.

• Bob says:

36 hours of real time spread across 24 episodes. So, that would be 1.5 hours of real time per half hour of show. Sorry, but time cannot be sped up or slowed down.

9. Riana says:

They need to get Ashley Benson and Lucy Hale in the same room.

10. Serena says:

I was beginning to think they forgot Robin had a sister. Thank god they have Lucy Hale coming back.

11. Mike R. says:

Love the finale title, and thought I was not a fan of this weeks episode, I am cautiously optimistic for the remainder of the season and can’t wait to find out the kids names. Though I agree it is time, I am still going to miss this show once it’s gone.

12. Sara says:

I totally think it is all leading to the reveal that the Mother died.

13. Jack says:

Luke and Leila!

14. N tTVf says:

Nice to see Sarah Chalke/Stella return a final time. Next to Victoria, Stella is my favorite of Ted’s ex-girlfriends. Her return probably has something to do with Robin’s locket. The return of RB and LH also good news.

15. Rotasevian says:

I think if the series ends with a funeral it’ll be Ted’s, that this whole story was a video the kids were watching, I don’t recall a single time that the kids actually interacted with the father in the skits (save for the hilarious one they did as a promo where they yell at him for taking so long to tell the story) My only reason for thinking this is that it does feel like it’s hinting that someone’s dead, and it being the mother that died would be kind of cliché and this show has been pretty good about flipping cliché’s on the viewers.

• Teag says:

Yikes. Watch season 1 and you’ll see Future Ted and the kids interacting a lot.

• Rotasevian says:

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen season 1, now that you mention it I do vaguely recall it. Doesn’t stop me from thinking that it’s going to be “Ted’s dead” but I am a little less sure about it now.

16. stevie says:

huh? where is this whole “funeral” fanfic coming from??

17. Patrick Maloney says:

I do not think I could be anymore bored by these pieces of news, why the hell do any of this matter?!

• Chris says:

HIMYM fan here, but I agree. The title implied that there would be scoop on the kids’ names, and that scoop was . . . that the finale would reveal the names? I have found the speculative comments down here to be far more interesting than the article itself.

18. Sarah says:

Well, they did play Band of Horses’ ‘The Funeral’ at the end of that episode with the mother and her yellow umbrella at the Farhampton train station… Foreshadowing?

19. Pat says:

WOW, a Funeral? I sure hope this isn’t so. Waited so long for a very Happy Ending and after last weeks episode, which was a debacle, please do not tell me a Funeral will be the ending?????? I am hoping this will not happen!

20. hello says:

I will riot if their names isn’t Luke and Leia

21. Jen says:

I think they are just killing it this final season, they have me laughing just as hard as I did the first season, and just like all the great sitcoms it’s even made me cry. So great seeing the past characters come back and be part of the last season.

22. Joey says:

Hope their kids names are good. good title for series finale.

23. Zed says:

I originally bought into the “dead Mother” theory too, but I’m not sure if that’s still plausible with her telling the story in Ep. 200.

24. Tom says:

Anyone think we will have one more instance of “Murdertrain”? I always laugh, especially the goat fight.

25. Amanda says:

I don’t think she will die. I read that they were doing a spin off called How I Met Your Father. How can the mother tell that story if she dies?

26. Goodbye Universe Guy says:

Had some more time to think about it – names of the kids – ‘Evelyn and Charles’. ‘Evelyn’ is Ted’s middle name, and ‘Charles’ is Robin’s middle name. A nice tip of the cap to their role-reversal-names and relationship in naming Ted’s/Mother’s two children.

I like the series’ finale title – “Last Forever”. I wonder if there is any irony in that title? A play on words perhaps by CT/CB, as in ‘nothing ever lasts forever vs. ‘this is our last episode forever.’

• Bob says:

Why would anyone care about Robin’s middle name? He didn’t marry Robin.

• Goodbye Universe Guy says:

True, but sometimes parent’s name their children after their friend’s names, or friends’ suggestions of names or middle names. A good example – Marvin ‘Wait For It” Eriksen.

I don’t think they’ll name the daughter after ‘the Mother’, because that would give away the name of the mother. I think CB/CT want to hold off on that intel for a bit longer.

We’ll know for sure next Monday night. I do like the name ‘Evelyn’ however; not enough girls named Evelyn anymore [or guys for that matter– yes, that means you Ted.] ;)

27. jenthigpenn says:

I’m not really sure where the Mother is dead thing came from, but in many of the flash forwards throughout the series, Ted has referenced his wife being present, though not in the frame. I’m kind of hoping the title is hinting toward Ted and the Mother’s wedding, that our (sometimes pathetic) hero Ted, will have finally found a love that will last forever, as opposed to the many, many, MANY relationships that have not.

Also, I will be super disappointed if the kids’ names are not Luke and Leia.

28. NJMark says:

In the pilot, Ted says he’s going to tell the kids how he met their mother. One of them said “are we being punished?”

If the mother were dead, that would be pretty crass.

Also, nearly every prediction made by fans has turned out to be false (e.g. “The Mother is so obviously Barney’s sister.”)

The names “Luke and Leia” only works if they’re twins. Otherwise, they’d be using one name, and having to hope the next child would be of the opposite sex.

29. Nate Mayhew says:

As long as the chick who played Vicki on Full House played Future Mom’s voice in 200, I’ll die happy.

• Angela says:

HA! This idea is genius :D.
      Also, I find it really strange that there are people here who seem surprised that a comedy would do something dark and sad. Many comedies have had sad episodes and moments, just as many dramas have had funny, lighthearted moments.

30. spartan_Cheer says:

didn’t they flash forward to Ted Marshall and Lily’s 25th college reunion and they “eat a sandwich” and Ted laughs and mentions he doesnt know his wife is. that leads me to believe she doesnt die. this is a show that will use serious moments to add character development but I don’t think it would go there . the creators said they were inspired by or reminded a lot of the Cheers finale

• SouthernBelle says:

Exactly! She couldn’t possibly be dead. Unless he was really, really tripping.

• WingsStef says:

I was thinking of that episode too. Though the college reunion would have been what, around 2025 probably since they were freshman in 1996? That is still five years before the telling of the story, 2030. It just means that as of the 25th reunion she is still alive. I don’t want to think she is dead, either in 2030, but she might be. Is Victoria still showing up? Months ago it said she was going to show up in April, but that is before they decided to limit repeats and have the show end in March.

31. Lindsey says:

I really hate the theory that the mother is dying/dead or that Ted is dying. It’s so morbid for what is usually a light comedy. I’m hoping it’s more along the lines of him telling them that they’ve decided to renew their wedding vows.

32. Amy Lee says:

THANK GOD this show is finally going away!! It jumped the shark years ago. This weeks’ episode was beyond moronic – I couldn’t watch it. This whole season has been stupid with everything that has happened supposedly being one weekend.

• Carlo says:

Then why are you here commenting? This is still funnier than most shows…The Millers and Family Guy come to mind as being pure crap! HIMYM has funny likeable people, crazy fun situations, and can still draw your attention, give you a good laugh, and tug your heartstrings…usually at the same time! Can either of these other 2 shows I just named make that claim?

33. Funeralschumneral says:

I’m thinking that Ted is telling them this story because he just found out that he has another kid. And it was with someone that he was sleeping with 45 days before he met their mother.

34. fletch says:

what abt ashley benson is she gonna appear

35. Christina says:

Maybe, ted’s dad has passed away, and that starts the story.

36. brian says:

There could be a death, the death of single Ted

37. Jar Jar Binks says:

WTH people…it’s going to be Luke and Leia…the son’s name is obviously Luke :)

38. lily says:

In response to the “death” questioning;
    in some episodes, the kids don’t want to hear the stories. If the mother had died or was dying then they would want to hear.
    also, they are dressed casually.
    the show isn’t really into happy endings, these examples aren’t considered endings but they go into it; Ted never got Robin, Stella destroyed Ted, Lily is always skeptical about her and Marshall, Robin can’t have children. the show has it’s very downs.
    the show shouldn’t of ended years ago, but about this series finale I’m skeptical, it would be nice to see more of “the mother” and Ted, but it would just be a drag on.

rant over :-)