Ratings: The Blacklist Slides Without Voice, Intelligence Lowers, Dixie Hits Season High

The Blacklist - Season 1NBC’s The Blacklist, as expected, took a hit in its first Voice-free outing, returning from the holidays to 9.1 million total viewers (down 17 percent) and a season-low 2.5 demo rating, per finals.

That said, the freshman hit easily topped Castle and Intelligence in both measures.

Opening NBC’s night, American Ninja Warrior did 5.6 mil and a 1.9.

RELATED | Did How I Met Your Mother‘s Shanghai ‘Slappointment’ Deliver a Wallop?

Over on CBS, 2 Broke Girls (9 mil/2.7), Mike & Molly (9.7 mil/2.4) and Mom (8.5 mil/2.2) all rose in the demo while hitting season highs in total audience. How I Met Your Mother (8.6 mil/3.0) added viewers and was up 11 percent in the demo. The time slot premiere of Intelligence drew 6.1 mil and a 1.2, down sharply, of course, from its apres-NCIS debut (16.5 mil/2.4) but up two tenths versus the Hostages finale (4.7 mil/1.0).

RELATED | Castle Recap: The Hunt Is (Back) On

ABC’s The Bachelor (7.9 mil/2.3) fell 15 percent in the demo, but Castle (9 mil/1.9) rose two tenths.

RELATED | Sleepy Hollow Recap: This Demon Light O’ Mine

Fox’s Almost Human (6.8 mil/2.0) was up two tenths, while Sleepy Hollow (6.4 mil/2.2) was flat.

The CW’s Hart of Dixie delivered its largest audience of the season and since April (1.3 million viewers) and matched its season high rating (0.5), yet Beauty and the Beast (800K/0.3) was flat.

1. Joe says:

I’m not going to bother with intelligence

2. mandy says:

CBS needs to move Intelligence. Pronto! Stick NCIS:LA here.

• Patrick says:

Shut your mouth! The 10 on Monday slot is crowded with they type of shows that appeal to the exact same audience. All three suffer.

• Apples says:

Yes three procedurals is a bit much in the same timeslot. I understand that a serialized drama (Hostages) didn’t work there, but surely CBS can try something else apart from yet another new procedural…

• Loki's King says:

shut your mouth?

are you 12 years old?

• TV Gord says:

Yes, no one should be told that…except Shaft, of course.

• TV Gord says:

(I should’ve said Isaac Hayes, but he’s already been silenced, hasn’t he?)

• N tTVf says:

“But I’m talkin’ ’bout Shaft” (then we can dig it) :)

That’s the good news, the bad news is the numbers coming back on Intelligence’s debut on Monday night. Damn, I missed that one big time (You’re damn right, who is the man? Certainly not you Nero!).

I predicted last week here on Matt’s blog that the show would get (at least) 7.5m/2.3 – instead, 6.1m/1.2 . Not good. Not sure what went wrong, maybe (as others have noted), three procedurals at 10pm Monday is one too many.

I have a lot more respect for Hawaii Five-0 now and how it did in this slot last season+.

• Terry says:

Patrick. You need to take care of your anger issues then come back to post. Talk smart about tv issues!

3. Jon says:

Almost Human is so good and this week’s episode was probably the best yet. That this isn’t a runaway hit and is in danger of cancellation is criminal.

4. Elyse says:

Intelligence didn’t just lower… it TANKED. If it wasn’t so boring more people might have stuck around.

• sarah says:

It is due to the fact that there was not a lot of competition last week. Where as last night there was last night with Castle and Blacklist!

• Leah says:

Last week, Intelligence wasn’t even on Monday at 10. It was on Tuesday at 9 after NCIS, wasn’t it?

• Elyse says:

it was but I can’t think of what else was on last Tuesday at 9. I checked out intellegence and it wasn’t bad but it wasn’t good. it was just eh… IMO of course.

• N tTVfiddler says:

Last Tuesday night (1/7/14), Intelligence/CBS 9pm competition was –

NBC – The Biggest Loser (second half)
            ABC – The Goldbergs and Trophy Wife
            FOX – New Girl and Mindy
            CW – Supernatural

Not bad competition, but not Blacklist *and* Castle.

Not sure what CBS should do at 10pm Monday. If (a big IF) Intelligence can hang on and not drop lower, perhaps even build on the demo over time, then it might make it. Just gotta hang on… NBC will move Blacklist to another night (Thursday 9pm perhaps?) next fall.

If Intelligence falls further over time (particularly on the demo), it’s over. We’ll see what they can do. CBS can only place so many series on Friday nights! ;) Sooner or later, CBS needs to come up with the next procedural/drama that will ‘pop’… a show that can pivot the playing field – the next CSI, the next NCIS. Whatever that next show is, that’s the one you place on Mondays at 10pm. We’ll see what CBS has up their sleeve during pilot season. Intelligence may simply not be that show, even with the dynamite cast. That’s a shame – that cast is golden.

• drhenning says:

I opted to watch Intelligence on CBS On Demand since I needed to watch Castle and record Black List. Mondays at 10 another jammed up timeslot… IMO 2nd episode is just as good…

5. Jennifer says:

I love Intelligence, I like the suggestion of sticking NCIS:LA there.

6. harper920 says:

That can be said for a lot of people I guess…

7. Leah says:

Too lazy to look for it myself: what were numbers for The Blacklist’s previous Voice-supported outing?

8. K. says:

All these shows are lower because there is way too many good shows on Monday nights. I love The blacklist and I like Intelligence, please move it to a better time, it’s not going to beat Blacklist or the long running Castle!

• Boiler says:

Agree Monday is brutal. Hopefully HoD actually helped going to Friday

• Patrick says:

Yes, my dvr recorded 7 shows last night. Seven! Four of them at the 10pm slot (since I watch some of the sci-fi supernatural shows like Lost Girl, I recorded Bitten to see if it would be any good).

I think I have 5 shows scheduled tonight. Monday and Tuesday have always been the heaviest nights for which shows I want to watch, but 12 hours of TV from two nights is a bit much. It would be hard for a new show like Intelligence to go up against both Blacklist and Castle. I’m hoping Intelligence last long enough to see if it will pick up steam, it seems to have a good cast and premise (and no, it isn’t exactly like Chuck – there are differences).

• Daisy says:

This is my problem as well. (Lost Girl was pretty good last night) but Mondays are over-loaded. I now have four shows that came on last night that I’ll have to watch on OnDemand because my DVR only records 2 shows at one time. Like you say, Tuesdays are just as bad and it seems like Sundays are no better. I thought for a minute that I should watch less TV but that’s just silly.

• GeoDiva says:

Mine recorded 11! It will take our family days to catch up.

• wrstlgirl says:

The only night of the week that my DVR isn’t working overtime is Thursday, well and Saturday if you want to count the weekend. Then I spend hours on the weekends trying to get it all watched so I have room for the next week. I’ve decided that I need to stop recording some shows that I’m really not that attached too. First one cut was Ravenswood, next will likely be Once/Wonderland when it comes back.

• Elyse says:

wrstlgirl, I’m the same way! I watched half of last weeks Ravenswood and then I deleted it. I also deleted the Tomorrow People off my series recording list. I only have time for shows I absolutely love!

9. Kim R says:

The Blacklist is so good. James Spader is fantastic. We PVR’d Castle. The Bachelor is pretty but perhaps not the sharpest knife in the drawer. :)

• wrstlgirl says:

Juan is really nice to look at but something about him creeps me out. The way he talks with those women is weird. I can’t explain it, it’s just stalkery.

10. betty says:

Hope Intelligence gets more viewers with dvr viewing. Its a really good show and last night was great.

11. Gem says:

Almost Human and Sleepy Hollow did okay. Thank God FOX skews young.

How interesting,despite winning the “prestigious” PCAs (more like each “Beastie” voting 10,000x) Beauty and the Beast will be gone. Cancellation of the show and “Beasties” developing carpal tunnel syndrome by the end of the year seems very likely.

12. Boiler says:

Perhaps non-football trends setting in. Only reason would like to see Intelligence tank is to get Meghan Ory back to OUAT. Otherwise as long as Castle doing well don’t care. Hope HoD keeps it up too.

13. starh says:

So glad Almost Human’s numbers are improving. Hopefully it gets picked up for a second season!

14. ragincajun says:

CBS solved its Tuesday deathslot with PoI only to exchange it for a Monday deathslot. :(

I guess the net will be looking closely at Intelligence’s DVR+3 and DVR+7 numbers to see if it has a future. They were simply asking too much of a new series in this tough timeslot. If Intelligence does show a spark in the DVR numbers, CBS should consider a change after the Olympics. I think The Mentalist would work on Monday, especially now that it has had a creative resurgence since the conclusion of the Red John storyline. Intelligence could then move to Sunday at 9:00 between The Amazing Race and The Good Wife, which desperately needs to be a 10:00 show.

15. James D says:

Good for Almost Human last nights episode was hilarious. decent numbers for Castle as well. While i thought the pilot for intelligence was god awful i did tune in last night and am glad i did it was 10x better then the pilot so I’ll stick with it for now.

16. Apples says:

Wow I expected Intelligence to drop, but not to tank immediately Hostage-like numbers. It will get chewed up in that timeslot between Castle’s faithful audience (yay, rebound!) and Blacklist being a runaway hit this season (2.5 without the Voice is great).
    I predicted AH to be a failure but if it keeps these numbers up I’ll eat humble pie gladly.

• Humanfan14 says:

Really? After that godawful pilot I totally expected it to tank. Viewers now have a ton of choices, why would they come back to a show after a truly horrible pilot? I know I don’t.

I loved Almost Human from the start. Last episode was a bit weaker than usual because the humor wasn’t quite up to its usual standard, but it was still a good episode.

17. Patrick Maloney says:

That sucks for Intelligence and The Blacklist, a little less for that show though, but at least Almost Human improved

18. hana says:

Intelligence’s pilot was just so incredibly BORING, and there are just too many better shows to watch on a Monday night.

19. I didn’t expect to like Intelligence, but I do. I hope they move it.

20. Gerald says:

Yay Hart of Dixie. Possible renewal. Sorry to hear that about Beauty and the Beast.
    Sleepy Hollow will be great next week for the 2hr finale. Will be watching that live.

• Riana says:

If it continues to have ratings like this, it’ll be renewed. Beauty and the Beast is dead.

• lll says:

Hart of Dixie is definitely getting a 4th season. Whether it stays on Mondays or ends up being the final season is up to the CW.

• Brandy says:

It’s moving to fri this spring so it’ll be there next season and with low ratings and reaching syndication numbers,next season will be its last.

21. GildedRose says:

Almost Human is a fun show. It’s all about the bromance chemistry there and, fortunately for FOX, the actors deliver. I’ll be totally disappointed if it gets cancelled and not given a 2nd season to find its legs.

Intelligence… Man, I don’t know what to say about that. I should like it. The actors are good. I thought how they ended last night’s episode was a bit of a (welcomed!) surprise so I’m curious enough to watch next week to see what they’re going to do. I try to give all new shows at least 3 episodes before I make up my mind. I’m not in love with it but I don’t hate it either.

22. HAP says:

Seems to me that The Blacklist has turned much more violent and dark than its early episodes.

That said, HIMYM last night was insultingly bad,

23. Rich Abey says:

Castle was great last night…maybe one of the best episodes of the season. So I’m kind of surprised it drew only 9 million viewers given it’s pre-hiatus average for Season 6 being around 11 million viewers per episode!

24. MP says:

I liked the Intelligence pilot, but forgot it was on last night. I went to watch the full episode on CBS’s website, but couldn’t find anything. If networks want to try to improve viewership of their fledgling shows they should make them available the next day.

25. Pat says:

Almost Human has hit it out of the ballpark, for me. Between this show and Sleepy Hollow, FOX has given me two new fantastic shows to watch.

26. Sheldon W. says:

Considering that The Blacklist didn’t have its big lead-in last night, it did a lot better than I was expecting.

27. DavidSask says:

Intelligence deserves to fail as nothing new and hot star to some not enough given competition. HIMYM being the last season of the show has been the worst and no one can say otherwise! The Blacklist pissed me off big-time as was super violent and not necessary, making it worse so with the crazy villain of the week. The show became like the grotesque Criminal Minds and I am not down for that, so anymore of that I am out with that show, anyone else agree on that?

28. Doris Dumm says:

I have given up watching my favorite show, NCIS since the new girl came on. She doesn’t fit with the show. It’s like watching a high school girl trying to be the smartest in class. She is not that good. Big disappointment!