Cable Ratings: True Detective Opens Well, Girls Hits High, Shameless Slips, Helix Starts Soft

Get More: News, Premieres, Ratings

GirlsTime for some cable ratings catch-up, in between sessions here at the Television Critics Association winter press tour….

HBO’s True Detective premiered to 2.33 million total viewers, the pay cabler’s largest launch audience sinceBoardwalk Empire circa 2010.

RELATED | HBO’s True Detective: Will You Continue With the Investigation?

Girls‘ season-opening episode led out of that with a series high of 1.1 mil, up 28 percent from its sophomore opener, while Episode 2 slipped to 880K.

PHOTOS | Winter TV Spoiler-palooza! Your Scoop-Filled Guide to 31 Returning Favorites

Showtime’s Shameless returned to 1.7 million total viewers and a 0.9 demo rating, TVByTheNumbers reports, down 15 percent and two tenths from its previous premiere. House of Lies (842K/0.4) in turn was down 30 percent and two tenths from its Season 2 opener. (Episodes, which last premiered to 500,000 viewers and a 0.2 rating, did not rank on TVBTN’s grid, which cuts off at 0.3.)

RELATED | Premiere Poll: Was Helix Chilling, Or Did It Leave You Cold?

Rewinding to Friday, Syfy’s Helix drew 1.8 million total viewers, with 734K landing in the 18-49 demo. That’s down sharply from the channel’s most recent series launch, Defiance, which did 2.7 mil/1.3 mil (on a Monday).

Comments (18)

• I wish Episodes got better ratings, it’s so good.

Comment by d4h8a15r16m23a42 – January 14, 2014 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel like it’s worth mentioning that Showtime released the premiere for Shameless a week ahead of schedule OnDemand, without a doubt effecting their ratings and viewership for the night

Comment by Lisa – January 14, 2014 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was just going to say the same thing. It seemed strange when I first read it but then I remembered they released it early (and promoted the heck out of it). The second episode will give us a better idea.

Comment by Francine – January 14, 2014 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Helix, more people should really check it out.

Comment by wrstlgirl – January 14, 2014 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I loved the premiere episode. It dragged a little but it got me interested in what’s happening. I’m intrigued and I actually like most of the characters. That’s so rare for me these days with tv. I hope syfy gives Helix a chance.

Comment by Tai – January 14, 2014 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You really can’t compare those Syfy ratings, Helix did pretty well imo.

Comment by Dennis – January 14, 2014 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 880K is terrible. I hope HBO adds girls to the long list of shows being axed this year.

Comment by WTactualF – January 14, 2014 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s already been picked up for a 4th season so take that lol. 880k is higher than any episode last season so I’d say they’re doing pretty good

Comment by Jon Carpenter – January 14, 2014 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In my opinion, and I really love the show, a major problem with Episodes is that there are so few episodes per season. Seven the first, and nine in seasons two and three. With all the time that elapses between seasons, it basically falls off the grid with folks.

Comment by HAP – January 14, 2014 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shameless was down because of the trainwreck that was last season. I gave up on it.
    Interested in giving True Detective a try. Used to love Episodes but never got back into it after the long gap off the air. As for Girls.. ughghghgh

I would like to know if/when Ja’mie: Private School Girl will be renewed! so funny.

Comment by Will – January 14, 2014 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would a Helix failure increase Haven’s chances of being renewed? Helix was OK, but nothing that special.

Comment by Ryan – January 14, 2014 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hahaha for a shot second as i was skimming i saw Defiance and thought it had premiered without my knowing it! PHEWF!

Comment by cjeffery7 – January 14, 2014 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • True Detective was good. I’m pleased that it premiered well. Can’t wait for next week’s episode.

Comment by Holly – January 14, 2014 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the first season premiere of Shameless leaked online like over a week ago, wonder if that hurt the numbers a little.

Comment by benis – January 14, 2014 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • first episode of the season/season premiere is what i meant to say

Comment by benis – January 14, 2014 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Helix gets better as script wise was not great, I also feel Billy Campbell the way he speaks grating! Why don’t fans of Girls not watch the second episode as well, what would they have switched too? Shameless is the best of Sunday when it airs, HOL is close to cancellation as nothing changes with the show and that is why probably everyone has fled! I have never watched Episodes nor plan on it.

Comment by DavidSask – January 15, 2014 12:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Forgot for the headline, TD was okay but not something new, just well known actors, will see if it unfolds something new. Thus far its partners with secrets and another girls being killed show which is bothersome to me, enough of that crap already!!

Comment by DavidSask – January 15, 2014 12:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s tough to premier on a Friday night. If Syfy was serious about Helix, they would place it midweek.

Comment by Cowboy – January 23, 2014 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post