Cable Ratings: True Detective Opens Well, Girls Hits High, Shameless Slips, Helix Starts Soft

GirlsTime for some cable ratings catch-up, in between sessions here at the Television Critics Association winter press tour….

HBO’s True Detective premiered to 2.33 million total viewers, the pay cabler’s largest launch audience sinceBoardwalk Empire circa 2010.

RELATED | HBO’s True Detective: Will You Continue With the Investigation?

Girls‘ season-opening episode led out of that with a series high of 1.1 mil, up 28 percent from its sophomore opener, while Episode 2 slipped to 880K.

PHOTOS | Winter TV Spoiler-palooza! Your Scoop-Filled Guide to 31 Returning Favorites

Showtime’s Shameless returned to 1.7 million total viewers and a 0.9 demo rating, TVByTheNumbers reports, down 15 percent and two tenths from its previous premiere. House of Lies (842K/0.4) in turn was down 30 percent and two tenths from its Season 2 opener. (Episodes, which last premiered to 500,000 viewers and a 0.2 rating, did not rank on TVBTN’s grid, which cuts off at 0.3.)

RELATED | Premiere Poll: Was Helix Chilling, Or Did It Leave You Cold?

Rewinding to Friday, Syfy’s Helix drew 1.8 million total viewers, with 734K landing in the 18-49 demo. That’s down sharply from the channel’s most recent series launch, Defiance, which did 2.7 mil/1.3 mil (on a Monday).

1. d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

I wish Episodes got better ratings, it’s so good.

2. Lisa says:

I feel like it’s worth mentioning that Showtime released the premiere for Shameless a week ahead of schedule OnDemand, without a doubt effecting their ratings and viewership for the night

• Francine says:

I was just going to say the same thing. It seemed strange when I first read it but then I remembered they released it early (and promoted the heck out of it). The second episode will give us a better idea.

3. wrstlgirl says:

I loved Helix, more people should really check it out.

• Tai says:

I agree. I loved the premiere episode. It dragged a little but it got me interested in what’s happening. I’m intrigued and I actually like most of the characters. That’s so rare for me these days with tv. I hope syfy gives Helix a chance.

4. Dennis says:

You really can’t compare those Syfy ratings, Helix did pretty well imo.

5. WTactualF says:

880K is terrible. I hope HBO adds girls to the long list of shows being axed this year.

6. HAP says:

In my opinion, and I really love the show, a major problem with Episodes is that there are so few episodes per season. Seven the first, and nine in seasons two and three. With all the time that elapses between seasons, it basically falls off the grid with folks.

7. Will says:

Shameless was down because of the trainwreck that was last season. I gave up on it.
    Interested in giving True Detective a try. Used to love Episodes but never got back into it after the long gap off the air. As for Girls.. ughghghgh

I would like to know if/when Ja’mie: Private School Girl will be renewed! so funny.

8. Ryan says:

Would a Helix failure increase Haven’s chances of being renewed? Helix was OK, but nothing that special.

9. cjeffery7 says:

hahaha for a shot second as i was skimming i saw Defiance and thought it had premiered without my knowing it! PHEWF!

10. Holly says:

True Detective was good. I’m pleased that it premiered well. Can’t wait for next week’s episode.

11. benis says:

the first season premiere of Shameless leaked online like over a week ago, wonder if that hurt the numbers a little.

12. DavidSask says:

I hope Helix gets better as script wise was not great, I also feel Billy Campbell the way he speaks grating! Why don’t fans of Girls not watch the second episode as well, what would they have switched too? Shameless is the best of Sunday when it airs, HOL is close to cancellation as nothing changes with the show and that is why probably everyone has fled! I have never watched Episodes nor plan on it.

• DavidSask says:

Forgot for the headline, TD was okay but not something new, just well known actors, will see if it unfolds something new. Thus far its partners with secrets and another girls being killed show which is bothersome to me, enough of that crap already!!

13. Cowboy says:

It’s tough to premier on a Friday night. If Syfy was serious about Helix, they would place it midweek.